Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

Default Swapping Landau Vehicle I.d. Tags!?

This topic may not seem quite like it sounds, i cant believe the casual way (some) people talk about "swapping" id tags!
its wrong, its illegal and at the end of the day someone is going to loose out when the car is sold and its not what it seems.
Ebay today, some guy asks a seller who is selling some landau parts if he knows of anyone who has some ID tags for a landau!?!
AH yeh.. i know of a few, any one who owns a landau coupe should have a set!

maybe the numbers on his current set will make him see red and blue lights when he goes for a rego check?
didnt someone on here have a cosmic blue one stolen recently?

what do we do about loosers like this?

not sure if this link works? it landau complete rear trims.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MESELX:IT

Last edited by BIONIC MAN; 10-04-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added info
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Re: Swapping Landau Vehicle I.d. Tags!?

I'm the one who had my Landau taken. Sadly, eBay does not who show who is asking the question, however i will contact the seller and ask for their ID. Either he is trying to rebirth a car (possibly mine) or he could be the bloke who bought the Landau on ebay lately which had no tags or even VIN numbers due to a replacement shock tower assembly. In saying that, anyone who rebirths this way is a fool, as the shock towers are the ones that the RTA uses.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

its amazing, what people think they can get away with.

I recall seeing a couple of Gts for sale on ebay, everything except the ID tags. Now i'm not sure if the tags were stolen, and the car was for sael, or the car had been aquired, and the plates taken off.

I have also heard people selling firewall replacement sections for rust repairs. The funny thing is that the ID tags are there.
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the seller is sorta on to it,look at the reply
You dont have to post in your ebay adds the questions people ask
So how many questions along these lines are actually asked
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Definitely something fishy going on there.....

The Landau God's will be very angry!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sounds very fishy...I like the sellers response!

I've heard of guys swapping compliance plates and cutting out body sections to put into another body...but the two instances I personally know of from many years back were after putting all the running gear and interior from a rusted out old car into a straight identical one they'd bought as a decent rolling shell (HR Holden and XA wagon in these cases). The guys both used the same excuse...they didn't want to have to go through inspections for roadworthy's and stuff to re-register a "new" car, as the ones they had were fitted with a lot of mods that weren't exactly approved. Queensland doesn't have yearly roadworthies so it's always been a bit of a tradition here to register a cleanskin with very few mods, take it home, and go mad on it, just hoping you never get pulled over for a mechanical.

It's probably a bit like filling a car with bog...if you are doing it for your own use and don't plan to try and rip anyone off with your bodgy work, there's nothing wrong with it. If you're doing it to cover up a stolen car, nail them to a post...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swapping ID plates is like filling a car with bog ???
1 Anyone has done and there was no time served
2 IF done could result in time with a happy room of new boyfriends

Swapping ID plates wether its a $200 HR or a 1 million $$ GT
Is illegal, end of story
Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel sorry for the people who buy a rebirthed car only to find out what they have paid thousands for is only worth what you could get for scrap.

I have seen this happen over and over again.

But this does sound dodgy, sounds like the person asking for tags is trying to make top dollar from a car that is not worth it or trying to hide the fact the car has been stolen.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The person that asked the question about the plates is an idiot and the seller isn't much smarter allowing that sort of question to be shown on a popular place like ebay as well. (You can hide questions being asked)

Selling I.D tags on ebay is not permitted either. if it's reported to ebay, they have the auction removed, or that part of it.

People that rebirth cars should eb shot. Especially cars that are collectible. It's not a case of if they are caught, but when

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The person that asked the question about the plates is an idiot and the seller isn't much smarter allowing that sort of question to be shown on a popular place like ebay as well. (You can hide questions being asked)

Selling I.D tags on ebay is not permitted either. if it's reported to ebay, they have the auction removed, or that part of it.

People that rebirth cars should eb shot. Especially cars that are collectible. It's not a case of if they are caught, but when

before you get stuck into the seller... HAVE you considered the seller put the question on the listing ON PURPOSE to expose the person asking it? you have to select weather you want to display it, it wont show otherwise.
does not sound like the seller wants to help the guy..far from it!
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Q: Gday would have or know of anyone that some id plates for a Landau Coupe? Thanks Aaron
A: ummmm, let me just check with the local authorities for you.. i will pass your name on if any SPARE ONES!?! come up.

He is having a go at the guy asking a question local authoriities would be the Police
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I hate chumps that engage in that activity. Also, the ones that sell Tagless bodies. The car is useless without them** & the odds of finding the ones matching the body are just impossible.

**For road registering purposes anyway, so considering that fact why do they try and palm them off for practically the same price as one with tags??
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone here makes out like its a new problem, some GT parts sellers used to sell ID tags and matching engine blocks separate to the shell on purpose, splitting them up. Why??? as they could get more money separate than together.

Sell tags and engine block, then sell shell later.

I was offered a block and tags form my GS years ago by one of these sellers when I enquired about some GT/GS parts for my project, I respectively declined the offer

The GT guys have been doing this for years as well as 'finding' missing engine blocks at swap meets or the trading post shortly after an unstamped block has been brought in from the US....strange co incidence that
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Everyone here makes out like its a new problem, some GT parts sellers used to sell ID tags and matching engine blocks separate to the shell on purpose, splitting them up. Why??? as they could get more money separate than together.

I was offered a block and tags form my GS years ago by one of these sellers when I enquired about some GT/GS parts for my project, I respectively declined the offer

The GT guys have been doing this for years as well as 'finding' missing engine blocks at swap meets or the trading post shortly after an unstamped block has been brought in from the US....strange co incidence that
whoa just back up a little there buttercup..... seem to be suffering from mouth and **** with that swipe at the GT guys.... anyone in the know.. knows we're all fairly ****en disgusted just at the thought of that sort of carry on.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A bit of generalisation in your statement don't you think?
Don't assume that ALL current & former GT owners are all the same. Sure there are those types of dis-honest people out there but don't tar them all with the same brush.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old ID plate debate rages !!!

People whom remove these ID plates dont always do it for illegal purposes

Mate has a genuine HQ 350 Monaro in his back yard (uncovered i might ad)
The ID tags are under his bed in a box, next to his shot gun
The original engine block is in pieces in a locked container
Its done this way to stop 5 fingered louies from helping them selves to these bits

For many years people with valuable muscle cars removed there tags , and put away
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The argument that people remove the tags from a car to stop people stealing them, does not work. Once tags are removed it is illegal to reattach them to any car, even the car it came off. So in the case of someone removing the tags to stop theft and then reattach them, they are just as bad as someone who gets tags to put onto an empty shell. IMO.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Can I ask then...

What is the point of the 'new' XA/XB/XC coupe body shells coming in from overseas??

Of course none of these cars will make it onto the road right???
(yeah right....)

Isn't selling these bodies 'helping' the re-body industry???
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I hate chumps that engage in that activity. Also, the ones that sell Tagless bodies. The car is useless without them** & the odds of finding the ones matching the body are just impossible.

**For road registering purposes anyway, so considering that fact why do they try and palm them off for practically the same price as one with tags??
Pays to know what you are talking about first.
A tagless body IS still road registrable so long as it still has its other ID numbers that were stamped by the factory - meaning you can prove the shell is what your claiming it is.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
A tagless body IS still road registrable so long as it still has its other ID numbers that were stamped by the factory - meaning you can prove the shell is what your claiming it is.
Correct...

Remember back in the 80's and 90's a lot of people with GT's actually removed the tags from their cars and kept them seperate to the car...

Now these days people leave them where they were fixed in the first place...

My - how times change...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
It sure does. Thanks for the correction.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Mate has a genuine HQ 350 Monaro in his back yard (uncovered i might ad)The ID tags are under his bed in a box, next to his shot gun.The original engine block is in pieces in a locked container
Its done this way to stop 5 fingered louies from helping them selves to these bits
For many years people with valuable muscle cars removed there tags , and put away
It is illegal to remove the tags and keep them separately, and it is also illegal to keep a shot gun under your bed, as it does not comply with safe storage requirements, shot gun needs to be stored in a locked approved safe.

Your mate is in a world of hurt when the local licensing Sgt comes around for a random firearms inspection (and they do I had one on my door step a few weeks ago checking my safe and serial numbers as well as ammunition storage), firearms will be confiscated, license cancelled and criminal charges laid (as they should).

Bet your mate is happy you are advertising his criminal activity on a public forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
whoa just back up a little there buttercup..... seem to be suffering from mouth and **** with that swipe at the GT guys.... anyone in the know.. knows we're all fairly ****en disgusted just at the thought of that sort of carry on.....
I am not saying EVERY ONE but many are involved and I personally know of past senior GT club members and committee members involved in this activity in a big way, but I will leave it at that, everyone else knows as well unless they stick their head in the sand, and this is the reason I have completely dis associated myself from any GT club association, and yes I am also a GT owner (as well as my GS Coupe), but do not generally want to be associated with other GT owners for my previously mentioned reasons.

And it is generally GT's it's done to, have not heard too many stories of Falcon 500's being re birthed and sold off for greed and profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Can I ask then...

What is the point of the 'new' XA/XB/XC coupe body shells coming in from overseas??

Of course none of these cars will make it onto the road right???
(yeah right....)

Isn't selling these bodies 'helping' the re-body industry???
Exactly my point when they started talking about them a while back, what is the point of the shells apart from promoting illegal activity?

The shells could be used to cut rust repair sections out of for genuine cars, but that is unlikely to happen especially considering the price of the shells, it will be more like swapping tags and engine block and re stamping shell.

Then again I doubt these shells will be good enough to pass as a genuine article to anyone but the most untrained, but only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Remember back in the 80's and 90's a lot of people with GT's actually removed the tags from their cars and kept them seperate to the car..
And a lot of tags were lost and separated from the cars, best to leave em where they belong IMO.

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 12-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
BLU-DVL

Quote:
It is illegal to remove the tags and keep them separately, and it is also illegal to keep a shot gun under your bed, as it does not comply with safe storage requirements, shot gun needs to be stored in a locked approved safe.
Can the tags be removed for the purpose of bare metal restoration, then reapplied back to the same vehicle (legally!) ?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No once tags are removed from a car, they can not be put back onto any car. Even if it is the same shell and is under going a bare metal restore.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete post..

Last edited by pottery beige; 12-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have removed the compliance plates from my coupe as it went to bare metal. I will put them back on once it is painted.

How is it illegal if they are going back onto the same car and all other id markings match??
Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
No once tags are removed from a car, they can not be put back onto any car. Even if it is the same shell and is under going a bare metal restore.
is this somewhere in writing and which state... ffs that wipes out any car thats had a proper squirt of paint......
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
fords35to75
No plastic bumpers

It appears to me that even VicRoads are involved in some questionable deals as far as tags go - I work for a dealer and we recently valued an AU XR6 ute which turned out to be a stat write off.

I know they guy that was trying to trade it and he said he had bought it about 5 years ago from a dealer and had not had any accidents in it. I told him the thing shouldn't have been on the road so he went to VicRoads to enquire. They told him that the car should have had a surrogate VIN number when it was registered prior to him buying it and that a surrogate VIN would remove the cars past history. They sent him to another workshop who XXXXXXXd the VIN on the inner guard out and stamped a new VIN supplied by VicRoads beside it. He then took it back to VicRoads who issued him with new number plates and a search against those plates came up clean.

I told him that i.m.o. it made no difference as the tags still showed the old VIN and the it could be traced as a stat write off from that. He then contacted VicRoads with my comments and they told him to remove the tags and return them to to them. I couldn't see how he would sell a car without tags.

Eventually the dealer who he bought it from offered to buy it back from him so the thing is probably on a car yard somewhere with no tags, a new rego and a surrogate VIN.
fords35to75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I could not see much of an issue with removing the tags for a respray, and re-fitting them to the car once painted.

Not sure if this would actually be illegal!?!?!?

I have heard that it is actually illegal to be in possession of vehicle ID tags not attached to the car, but not 100% sure on this either as I have never had the interest in researching it.

I am sure that once the plates are pop riveted back to the original shell it would not be much of an issue, as I would say every vehicle that has undergone a ground up restoration would have had the plates removed from the car to avoid damage during sand blasting, stripping and painting.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Delete post...

Last edited by pottery beige; 12-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.