Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The (nostalgic) good old days

Hi all

Sent to me by a south Australian friend:

Those were the days - A Bit of Nostalgia

My mum used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting E.coli.
Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the creek, the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine chlorinated pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then either?.
We all took PE ..... And risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop sandshoes or bare feet if you couldn’t afford the runners instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the cane or the strap for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honour & respect those older than us.
We had at least 40 kids in our class and somehow we all learned to read and write, do maths and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter......., FUNNY THAT!!
We all said prayers in school irrespective of our religion, sang the national anthem and saluted the Flag and no one got upset. Staying in detention after school netted us all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn't got.
And we all knew we had to accomplish something before we were allowed to be proud of ourselves.
I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. We weren't!! Don’t even mention about the rope swing into the river or climbing trees
Oh yeah ... And where were the antibiotics and sterilisation kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!
We played "King of the Castle" on piles of dirt or gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mum pulled out the 2/6p bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mum calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?
We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
BUGGER ME!!
How did we ever survive?
LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!
Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
AAAAh, those WERE the days!!!!

Probably need to be of an age similar to mine to remember how things were.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The (nostalgic) good old days

That hits the nail on the head

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Playing in the dirt and rubble is what kept us healthy, plus the Friday night dose of castor oil whether we needed it or not. It built up our immune systems properly.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Never heard of a peanut allergy until recently. Now it's more like a fashion trend.
Mum1 to mum2: my child is allergic to nuts! Mum2: my child is coeliac! Mum1: Touché
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
hi all

sent to me by a south australian friend:

those were the days - a bit of nostalgia..

SNIP

...pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.
Aaaah, those were the days!!!!

probably need to be of an age similar to mine to remember how things were.

Cheers
#OK BOOMER!
Old 09-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Polio, asbestos and drink driving were all awesome too
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Uhh- I can add personally- tuberculosis.

What about thalidomide babies.

People smoking like chimney's and the horrific lung cancers...

Ah yes- the good old days.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Uhh- I can add personally- tuberculosis.

What about thalidomide babies.

People smoking like chimney's and the horrific lung cancers...

Ah yes- the good old days.
Every era has their good and bad. The notion that things were entirely better in the old days is bloody ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Never heard of a peanut allergy until recently. Now it's more like a fashion trend.
Mum1 to mum2: my child is allergic to nuts! Mum2: my child is coeliac! Mum1: Touché

Seems to have gone unnoticed.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Work Horse
Budget Racer

My 6th grade teacher circa mid 1970's was respected as a community leader, experienced teacher and strict disciplinarian.

Looking back now; he had a huge chip on his shoulder because he worked in a "womens job" and felt he should have been paid more. He clearly had mental health issues and would go on and on to the class about the unfairness of his life. He would physically; punch, slap, kick, pull the hair and belittle disruptive members of the class.

Looking back, who we called trouble makes back then are now known as; Aspergers, Dyslexic, left handed or needing some support.

Looking back at the good old days may require some really thick rose coloured glasses...

Last edited by Work Horse; 09-04-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the old days you knew how to fix your car - because you bloody had too. Back then you had to adjust points, carbys, oil and filter every 3000miles, suspension rubbers/ball joints every year or 2 etc etc. Nowadays you drive for 15,000km, pay someone $300 for a "service" then drive another 15,000km reliably.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Every era has their good and bad. The notion that things were entirely better in the old days is bloody ridiculous.
Yea but we didnt have the internet to tell us that so we carried on quite happily oblivious to how ridiculous it was and enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Yea but we didnt have the internet to tell us that so we carried on quite happily oblivious to how ridiculous it was and enjoyed every minute of it.
No one would believe priests were pedos either. Great times.
7 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #14
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
No one would believe priests were pedos either. Great times.
Never met a priest and know nothing of there sexual preferences but did come across the news that one had just been acquitted of such a thing recently so going with your theory back in the day nobody believed they were but these days they believe they are and then they dont,progress eh.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Backyard sprinkler and swinging on the hills hoist.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
This is rather poor taste. Obviously never seen what happens to someone with a nut allergy if they have nuts... Or know what effect gluten has on the intestines of a coeliac person... Forgive me if I'm wrong but you kind of imply these are 'made up' things.

Many things went undiagnosed in years gone by. Go to a cemetery and have a look at the ages of many people from earlier generations. Lots of children and younger people feature and many died from diseases that are survivable today.

People that talk favorably about 'the good ol' days' generally have the worst memories.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Never met a priest and know nothing of there sexual preferences but did come across the news that one had just been acquitted of such a thing recently so going with your theory back in the day nobody believed they were but these days they believe they are and then they dont,progress eh.
This! This!!!

I guess nobody was touched by the LORD.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Same with slavery, cubbie station was a lot cheaper to harvest
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #19
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bossxr8 some bloody great posts by you here.

I too get tired of hearing the good ol days bs.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #20
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep them good ol days
every one got in an did their share
we didnt even hear from them bs complainers

tell that to the youngen of today n they wodnt belivesya

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #21
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The good old days when people lives weren't owned by a cell phone, plus the desire to take a pic every scrap of food while you are at dinner with them then broadcasting it to the world, all the while ignoring the people around them...
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #22
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my day we ate maccas out of styrofoam and threw the grabage out the car window and the cops didnt care. now days you get fined for being outside without an excuse. snowflake cops are the cause
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #23
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a kid I remember coming home from school to work on my 'oval' . At the back of our house we had a clearing big enough to make a semi permanent sports ground and being able to kick a footy around with some home made goal posts. My dad , my next door neighbours dad and friends close by would come up to the "oval" on warm summer nights after tea to pick up teams and play cricket til nearly dark. Dad, Mr Spilsbury Mr Webb would sometimes play or watch , otherwise umpire after the garden watering or watching the ABC news was done of course . Then in winter we'd re install the saplings we cut for one set of four goal posts to emulate Polly Farmer , Royce Hart , Ian Stewart etc goal kicking exploits .

We had an old Victa mower we used to cut the cricket pitch into the ground and any stringy patches of bush grass that appeared here and there. If that didn't start via the wind up ratchet start , the Spilsbury's old Pope rope pull mower got wrecked for the same essential chore . The larger outfield was boundered mostly by wattles and there was a couple of tree stumps on the playing area that needed avoiding when trying to take a catch .No tennis ball cricket either . My Uncle Harold scrounged up occasionally old leather practice balls from the cricket club and we used the cheap compo balls otherwise. Later on we'd all joint the Cricket and Footy club as we got old enough and most cricket and footy clubs were made up of pretty much 100% locals . Now all we have is a T20 team that plays a few games a year and the football club folded in the mid 1990's.

Another thing I recall with fondness was bonfire/cracker night . I wan't terrified of the big bangers but I was of the string of tom thumbs and I recall the sparklers you held ..

Being a kid in the late 60's to mid 70's relied in a lot of 'making your own fun'..but I certainly yearn for those days again often .

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-04-2020 at 09:53 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #24
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
This is rather poor taste. Obviously never seen what happens to someone with a nut allergy if they have nuts... Or know what effect gluten has on the intestines of a coeliac person... Forgive me if I'm wrong but you kind of imply these are 'made up' things.

Many things went undiagnosed in years gone by. Go to a cemetery and have a look at the ages of many people from earlier generations. Lots of children and younger people feature and many died from diseases that are survivable today.

People that talk favorably about 'the good ol' days' generally have the worst memories.
I've seen allergies first hand. Not nice.
I have also seen mothers destroy birthday parties, cricket and football matches because "her son has a nut allergy". That's also not nice. Everyone present knows what's going on and no nuts is the order of the day.

Has anyone told/ordered you to throw out your peanut butter?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I've seen allergies first hand. Not nice.
I have also seen mothers destroy birthday parties, cricket and football matches because "her son has a nut allergy". That's also not nice. Everyone present knows what's going on and no nuts is the order of the day.

Has anyone told/ordered you to throw out your peanut butter?
you implied in your original post that these types of things were a modern invention. they are not.

what you describe above has nothing to do with allergies or diseases. Just humans. Humans of all types have existed in all generations.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #26
marty351

Congratulations, scroll down for your prize!
Old 10-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Pump up tyred Cyclops scooters and then progressing on to a 10 speed Malvern star pushy.
As a kid you could ride all over Sydney in the 70's and everyone was respectful towards each other on the road. Fuel shortages saw to that as most motorist rode as much as drove.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #28
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Time to cheer things up a little?

https://youtu.be/B0VtkCrbLd8
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #29
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

The older I get the betterer I wuz

At everything
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #30
marty351

Them good 'ol days when we referred to mobile.phones instead of "cell phones".