Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #481
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Even if the kids have to resit the year over again is it that much of a big deal from an education perspective? They'll be 19 coming out of Year 12.

They've got circa 45 years at work ahead of them, the year isn't going to make a huge difference, if they go to uni heaps do a 'gap year'/travel anyway.
7 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #482
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Get your kids home.
Spend time and teach them as much as you can.
The world they'll see once they leave school will be very different to the one we had.
They are, the Wife is at work and im due back in 2 hours so they should be found wandering around Woolies at any tick of the clock if Scomo is to be believed.
Old 24-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #483
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I heard one of the Politicians say yesterday with regards to school that they need to have unity on the subject, having some in school and some out at the discretion of their parents isn't unity.
My daughters school has cancelled timetables/lessons. Kids that need to come in, will be on computers doing the online lessons. IOW, the school is basically saying keep the kids at home unless you have no other option. Its a good compromise as it ensures all students are on the same page.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #484
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Even if the kids have to resit the year over again is it that much of a big deal from an education perspective? They'll be 19 coming out of Year 12.

They've got circa 45 years at work ahead of them, the year isn't going to make a huge difference, if they go to uni heaps do a 'gap year'/travel anyway.
I said the same thing 2 days ago Franco, in my day you did yr12 at 17, today they're 18 and if we lost a year they'd be 19, its not the end of the world, in fact it would have its benefits in so many ways, those who would graduate this year wont be competing with those of us looking for work when this ends, kids who struggle doing yr8 at 13 will have another year of maturity under their belts, its hard to find a negative, my own Son thinks it would be awesome as he'd have 2 years of driving himself to school as opposed to the 1 year he'll have now.
If keeping things as they are had any gauranteed positive other than acting as creches for a fraction of the families id say fair enough, but I don't see it.

If you want my honest opinion it has nothing to do with healthcare workers or kids in shopping centres, I think the fact that private schools had no issue closing and transitioning to online systems is telling, I think its a case of trying to do the same with state schools would highlight the inequalities and deficiencies within the state system and that's something they don't want exposed.

Last edited by BENT_8; 24-03-2020 at 02:22 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #485
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BENT 8 you honestly think private and gov schools will ever be the same, mate its not possible and thats actually the point.

But, in saying that, the basic curriculum is there and available for everyone. You dont need a laptop for every kid to at least try and keep the basics going.

Tonight and tomorrow will be interesting, not sure how WFH and kids here actually works, WFH was bad enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #486
hayseed

Quote:

Try telling them that! & tell me how you get On...

I've got One here you can practice On....
Old 24-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #487
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

was just looking at the national COVID19 growth rate graph, its jumped 100% in 4 days.
Looking at the National school holidays it appears that with the exception of QLD and Victoria(who have already broken for holidays I might add), every other State still has 2.5wks of school until the holidays begin, any guesses for how many people will be infected in 16 days..?
Old 24-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #488
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I want to question why the unemployed and pensioners are the ones getting the government cash. These people will be the least effected by the coronavirus. Yes they are the ones who need it the most, but they were that way before the virus came along.

And i'm not suggesting they don't deserve something coming their way, because they do it tough. Just that nothing is really going to change for them now.

It's the masses going onto the dole que now that needed to be budgeted for. And job creation.

But pensioners having some extra cash will get some money back into the system.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #489
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
BENT 8 you honestly think private and gov schools will ever be the same, mate its not possible and thats actually the point.
Not at all, I had a private school education and my Wife attended the best regional State School in SA and 28yrs ago we we're a good 2yrs ahead of them to the point where I'd help her with her yr12 homework and I only stayed to yr10.
Im not suggesting it should be equal, im simply saying that many schools don't have the resources even between state schools never mind state v private.
Old 24-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #490
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I want to question why the unemployed and pensioners are the ones getting the government cash. These people will be the least effected by the coronavirus. Yes they are the ones who need it the most, but they were that way before the virus came along.

And i'm not suggesting they don't deserve something coming their way, because they do it tough. Just that nothing is really going to change for them now.

It's the masses going onto the dole que now that needed to be budgeted for. And job creation.

Because they'll spend it, they'll spend every dollar because they're not use to having it.
Old 24-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #491
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The doubling of the dole has us here confused also.
Wife suggested they also get an extra one-off payment of another $750 too, I've not yet confirmed that part.
But feeling the same. Particularly when my wife is out doing age-care, now bringing in less than the unemployed (granted she is not doing 40hrs/wk, but still doing 5-6hours a day & PHols)
Govt just found 66Bill under a cushion and throwing out the window?!

BENT, sorry to hear about your job. I can see you were well aware of the possibility but still not nice when it happens. All the best with what ever comes next for you.
My older son is hurting right now. Poor fella has done a good job creating his own PT business since leaving school. Making enough money to pay all the bills, while managing to save for the house dream deposit. Last 2 days has destroyed it. I haven't talked to him yet about options, he's not feeling too chatty right now. I'm feeling for him.
Daughter and her partner work in childcare (local OHSC) so they are getting twitchy.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #492
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Try telling them that! & tell me how you get On...

I've got One here you can practice On....
If my parents told me that I had the rest of the year off from school and it restarts next year I'd have been over the moon
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #493
prydey
Rob

Lots of chicken little (sky is falling) syndrome in here and very little evidence based claims.

Also while human health is important the govt can't simply turn its back on the economy. That would end far worse than the virus.

Time to calm down peeps.
Old 24-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #494
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Tip was interesting today. OH&S resolution to minimise weighbridge staff exposure to the great unwashed, resulting in a plastic bollard being placed 1.5m from the window where you disclose your load and details on the inward leg.

Of course it doesn’t bloody work, vehicles are too noisy for the staff to hear so they lean out of the window towards the driver, breaching the space requirement and straining their necks... I noticed later today someone had simply run over the bollard, fully destroying it and all was back to usual.

Outgoing weighbridge (D) told me that the isolationists are decluttering, yard-clearing and whatever else in an effort to mitigate cabin fever, and the tip processed over 3000 transactions through the weekend. Asked old mate, did they offer OT, apparently yes but “I just wanted to get away from the ****s and go home to have a ****ing beer!”.

Descriptive snapshots of the Australia dear to my heart.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #495
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
If my parents told me that I had the rest of the year off from school and it restarts next year I'd have been over the moon
Yeah my Son is thrilled.
Already hit us with "I can stay up late every night as I don't have school in the morning".
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #496
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

The pension for a couple is about $630 each a fortnight.

They will get a one off payment of $750 each

The dole has just been doubled for a single person to about $1100 fortnight
Old 24-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #497
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Lots of chicken little (sky is falling) syndrome in here and very little evidence based claims.

Also while human health is important the govt can't simply turn its back on the economy. That would end far worse than the virus.

Time to calm down peeps.
I thought this originally, taking it very seriously now.

Rate of infection is high 15-20% per day and Oz has 2k ICU beds most of which are in use.

The math is not great on this if you assume 10-15% of those infected will require hospitalisation.

On our way to at least 5-10k infected (1895 atm) - min 750-1500 beds needed.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #498
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
was just looking at the national COVID19 growth rate graph, its jumped 100% in 4 days.
Looking at the National school holidays it appears that with the exception of QLD and Victoria(who have already broken for holidays I might add), every other State still has 2.5wks of school until the holidays begin, any guesses for how many people will be infected in 16 days..?
10-20,000, possibly more. All depends on the effectiveness of the current restrictions.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
Old 24-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #499
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
The pension for a couple is about $630 each a fortnight.

They will get a one off payment of $750 each

The dole has just been doubled for a single person to about $1100 fortnight
because all the worker will be on the dole soon.
Old 24-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #500
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your Govt might want to take a look at how we are getting through this in NZ, Total lock down of all the country from midnight tomorrow for a month, all employees qualify for $585 per week x12, issued in one lump plus a six month mortgage/interest freeze if you require. They are also talking about offering business loans over three years to keep them afloat, not a fan of Jacinda and co but they seem to be handling this well.
Old 24-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #501
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although in regards to my above post there is/maybe some good data coming out of the US

https://twitter.com/AdamMilstein/sta...41027324301312
Old 24-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #502
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

I can't find any information regarding what I need to do driving back to Adelaide from the NT next week. SAPOL and other government websites are not very helpful at all. All I want to know is whether I can travel all the way home to self isolate or if I'm required to stop at the first roadhouse with accommodation or town and spend my 14 days?
Old 24-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #503
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
I can't find any information regarding what I need to do driving back to Adelaide from the NT next week. SAPOL and other government websites are not very helpful at all. All I want to know is whether I can travel all the way home to self isolate or if I'm required to stop at the first roadhouse with accommodation or town and spend my 14 days?
Hammer down and don't look back.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #504
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yeah, I can just see me now. It would go something like this.

https://youtu.be/LMagP52BWG8
Old 24-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #505
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You'll get off easy, you won't even have to wind your window down

7 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #506
.:4:.
Kicking back

Well today my work asked a 3rd person to take leave as things have slowed down. Im probably the next as i have the most leave accrued. The project managers wife got laid off after 20 years service with the same company as a sales person. My apprentices mum got laid off, and so did my mate who rents a place off me. Its all getting too real too fast with how the economy has been hit.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #507
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Clearly the cops from SA, NSW, and Qld will need to manage this critical border crossing point.

4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #508
XC-351

Whats the governments plan?

Do we really have a plan/strategy in place? When you think about how much of a balls up this has been so far...

If we are put into a full lockdown now we could possibly recover, full lockdown, 2 weeks isolation, those who currently carry the virus take care and hopefully recover, those more serious end up in hospital while there are beds available.
Those who currently show no symptoms find out over the next 2 weeks and hopefully recover those more serious end up in hospital while there are still beds available, the virus can be tracked, those in Lockdown with someone who has shown sings of the Virus continue lockdown those who have been fine and healthy for the 2-4 weeks end there Lockdown, eventually lives go back to semi normal. The earlier this happens the shorter the Lockdown...

If we wait to long the numbers go up and then Lockdown goes on till when? Hospitals can't keep up, Vaccinations are unavailable for at least 12 Months +, At the current rate its believed we will run out of ICU Beds by 10th April.

Listening to our Medical Experts we have no clear indication of what we will do... while other countries are using apps and technology to ensure people are quarantining correctly Australia is using the trust system.

Although now we have closed our borders we had minimal testing and screening at airports, which is where the influx of the Virus came through.

On top of all this we couldn't even learn from the Diamond Princess which was significantly covered by the media and we just let the passengers of the Ruby Princess stroll there way through Sydney and interstate airports... And then you still have the deniers who think this is media hype!

We were being the ball with advertising, behind the ball with cruise ships, behind the ball with testing in airports and closing the border, behind the ball with closing state borders and we will behind the ball with a full Lockdown...
Old 24-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #509
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Got talking to the head of the section of the school that I work out of this afternoon and she said straight out that attendances are at 50% and falling.
I told her about my position and intentions and she said she doubts they'll go on after Friday anyway. Said she would prefer it closed and wants her own children out of school but apparently the high school they go to have no programs for stay at home learning at this stage.
Teachers don't want to be there.

During my drop off a number of parents asked me not to come from now on, keeping them home. Minimum is 4 to keep going, had 7 today.

Contacted our kids school today to signal our intentions to pull them out from Friday, told the 16yo can have work sent through online but nothing available for the 8yr old.
Old 24-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #510
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC-351 View Post
Whats the governments plan?
There is no plan...

They are just making it up as they go.

And put out so many contradictory statements it leaves people confused and angry.

They have offered all this wonderful stimulus - that is impossible to get.

They have said that you can claim part of your super - but not till half way through April.

They said that the MyGov site crashed due to hackers - then finally admitted it was just overwhelmed.

They said Kids should go to school - but should also stay home.

They said that you can do everything online for Centrelink - but can only get your CRN by calling a number that will cut you off after asking for an operator.

They said they are doing all they can - but are happy to make any financial help near impossible to get so that you are 1 foot in the grave before you get your help.

They said that they will extend Centrelink hours - yet the area I tried to call said the office was closed at 5:15 and to call back tomorrow.

When stuff like this happens to the masses it puts the Government on show as to how inefficient and backwards their systems are.

Where are the preparations for mass treatment when needed? Oh, that's right they will wait till there are people on stretchers in the hospital car parks before doing that.

Where is the call for ex-centrelink workers to return?

Bloody joke....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread