Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #751
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Well now this is interesting news. Boris Johnson has tested positive for the 'rona.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 01:17 AM   #752
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Myer announces it will shut down its stores on Sunday and stand down 10,000 staff without pay. Their hardest decision in 120 years.

Myer shutdown

When does the cure become worse than the disease?
Dead people or a dead economy?

But then again... Denial is the best friend of this virus - Meaningful action is it's worst enemy.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 28-03-2020 at 01:22 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 01:38 AM   #753
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Myer announces it will shut down its stores on Sunday and stand down 10,000 staff without pay. Their hardest decision in 120 years.

Myer shutdown

But then again... Denial is the best friend of this virus - Meaningful action is it's worst enemy.
Well it is a choice for sure. Some are definitely advocating more on the economical side of things while others doing the same on the health side.

Australia had plenty of warning of the disaster to come. And we did **** all to prepare.

Think of all the politics in years gone by where it was all hardline secure the border and stop the boats and we ****ed up both when it actually would have made a difference
Old 28-03-2020, 01:52 AM   #754
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That matter I am involved with ran for a day in Sydney then there was farting around for 2 days now back on this Monday to run by remote video link.

I dread going back to Sydney CBD to run from my colleagues building. Their building was shut down due to a cleaner diagnosed with Covid 19, had a hell of a day trying to scan and Dropbox tenders of over 600 pages.

When I shopped in Coles Goulburn street I wore a face mask due to density of people and there was a real bad vibe in the air, part people shock zombies in disbelief, part fear and part agro.
All the poor shop staff, cafes, restaurants, real resignation and fear etched on their faces.

This all just sucks. Just hope we can pull through this mess and people able to help one another out. I have no doubt people will ie landlord helping tenants in distress.

But big business and govt can be so bloody ruthless and clunky with red tape. Lady who did the drop boxing for me was freaking cause her partner has lost his job and is finding it incredibly hard to get a toe in at Centrelink and her employer has shut down the Sydney operation. The Newcastle operation is hanging in there but she was freaking out about loosing her job.

Now Myer- so much pain out there for people.

The anger will start- we had an interesting discussion at home tonight how there has been no statement by the Chinese leadership saying they regret what is going on. I would not expect an apology from Asians- loss of face in their culture and all that crap. But come on just saying we really regret the pain this virus which appears to have come from Wuhan is causing....?

Or is that asking too much?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #755
Sioso
irregular member

3.3 million Americans sign up for unemployment in one week.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52050426

Then add to that the panic buying of guns and ammo.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahto.../#2fc0d121782e

I will be interested to see how all this plays out.....
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #756
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Well it is a choice for sure. Some are definitely advocating more on the economical side of things while others doing the same on the health side.

Australia had plenty of warning of the disaster to come. And we did **** all to prepare.

Think of all the politics in years gone by where it was all hardline secure the border and stop the boats and we ****ed up both when it actually would have made a difference
Has none of the multi billion AU Govt Stimulus package filtered through to workers and laid off staff, if not where has it ended up. They need to implement a freeze now.
Old 28-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #757
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Trump Orders General Motors to Make Ventilators
Wall Street Journal-25 minutes ago

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-l...rs-11585327749
Old 28-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #758
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post

You'll never know what those left wing monkeys are capable of.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #759
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
You'll never know what those left wing monkeys are capable of.
IKR! If there's one thing left wing monkeys love its guns and amo
Old 28-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #760
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How are you all doing round Oz ? All I've been doing all week , lost count how many times I've done it is wipe , spray , wipe , spray disinfectant . Not my job to do to this degree but before I think of whinging I know I should thank my lucky stars that I have a secure public sector job and not struggling like so many of my fellow Aussies are .

What a bitch of a year it is . Drought , Bushfires and Pandemics and it's only March . What's next ...Cyclones , Tornadoes and Floods ...probably .

Not going to rant on about pollies here or anywhere else or because that's no good . Just hoping that in the next few months that losses from this rotten little disease will be kept to a minimum , not least here on our patch and some okay rains will hit still drought ridden areas and those still recovering from the fires will have some good outcomes in among the pestilence .

For those of us single or family members not impacted medically or financially lets just suck it up , be grateful , don't rant on about how tough we might think we have it and consider if there is anything we can do to help .

If nothing else all this has made me think and reassess what's really important in my own circumstances..If not following AFL , no car racing , no big get togethers or being able to go out for tea or going long distances etc is high priority then it's a small price to pay personally IMO even if I have to incessantly wipe , spray disinfect all day long at work .

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-03-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 28-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #761
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Job losses and cut backs from knee jerk reactions like mass lock down will create more of a health crisis.
Domestic violence, more broken families, mental trauma of children having to be in that environment. Suicides because of that, as well as unemployment, financial difficulties & losses, or defaulting on loans.
We haven’t seen fatality rates in relation to age group of this virus.
Media are making out like if someone is to step closer than 1 metre to someone else they’re gonna end up 6 feet under.
We have a whole lot of paranoid people running around or running their fingers on social media like headless chooks.

Who’s gonna be lining up to buy commercial property when tenants can’t pay the rent and landlords can’t pay the mortgage...
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #762
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

We have been warned by medical professionals (not governments) of other western countries (European, US, UK, etc) to act fast and go hard. 'Social distancing' and 'stay at home if you can' does not work is the common advice. They have seen what happens with the lack of meaningful action by their governments. They have the first hand proof. But the Australian government is still in denial.

If it's an argument of dead people, vs a dead economy, currently in Australia, the numbers of deaths are low. The economy is very sick, but is not dead, as yet. If we keep going the way we are, denying the advice of medical professionals from overseas, and dragging out the inevitable total shutdown of the country, the scales will tip over, and then Australia will not only have lot's of dead, but also a totally dead economy.
Old 28-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #763
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Italy has had 969 deaths in the last 24 hours. The highest recorded number. Total deaths now 9,134.

This is in a country with a better health system than Australia.
Old 28-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #764
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
The anger will start- we had an interesting discussion at home tonight how there has been no statement by the Chinese leadership saying they regret what is going on. I would not expect an apology from Asians- loss of face in their culture and all that crap. But come on just saying we really regret the pain this virus which appears to have come from Wuhan is causing....?

Or is that asking too much?
Interesting you say that mate, I was thinking the same thing. Shoe on the other foot and if Australia was the epicentre of this mess they would be pointing the finger at us no doubt about it. The face saving philosophy is alive and well in many countries and ad the communist regime on top of that and here we are.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #765
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Italy has had 969 deaths in the last 24 hours. The highest recorded number. Total deaths now 9,134.

You sure their health system is better??
Old 28-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #766
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Has none of the multi billion AU Govt Stimulus package filtered through to workers and laid off staff, if not where has it ended up. They need to implement a freeze now.
Probly same place as the bush fire money........
Old 28-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #767
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Italy has obviously taken a huge hit, total tragedy . From what I can gather and please correct me if I’m wrong, this virus is spread when there is direct contact to the face, be it from a surface or another person, typically saliva etc etc. it’s also from a symptomatic donor, ie if your not showing symptoms your not going to spread it, but I’ve read differing opinions there. The virus can live on hard surfaces for quite a while, nothing new there

Italy has a massive population in high density living situations, very tactile and often with Mumma, Papa the bambino’s and great bambino’s all in one house. They are also an ageing population with many many smokers. There is also a massive tourism industry. Cruise ship style living on the land basically. Im thinking these issues have really made the spread of this dirty virus so prevalent over there, same as cities such as New York. In Oz we have many similarities, but often our living situations are quite different, our cities are nowhere near as crowded, but our high density areas have been hot spots, eg Sydney CBD etc.

In some ways we may be luckier...maybe. But in others I think we will suffer for a long time. Regional areas are possibly safer at the moment with limited exposures. But our indigenous and Torres straight communities are a high risk population. Roll in the overseas and big city fifos who may well unknowingly be carriers and it will go off in these areas and will overload many regional health care institutions . Sadly I think we are in for it but just in a different way .
5 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #768
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nope.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #769
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post

I have a good friend with a small business in Florida. She is terrified of the gun and unemployment situation. It’s almost like it’s a matter of when she’s robbed not if.

Interesting comment Trump made in a statement yesterday was “Nobody is to blame for this virus...well not in the USA anyway” .

Sadly there will be massive loss of life in the US, many older citizens will be buried by their families, there’s obvious job losses. There will be anger, look at 9/11 and multiply it. They will want revenge and someone to blame, they lost around 4000 in the twin towers, likely more are killed by guns each year but they were outraged and the rest is history.

Nothing bolsters the US economy like a good barney. Boeing, Northrop Grumman and the myriad of large aerospace companies all have massive military production. I hope I’m wrong.... but.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #770
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Older population, a different society and lifestyle to Australia and dense population, its not comparable to Australia - they tend to have multiple generations living in one household, are very family oriented, greet each other by kissing and a very laid back society in that they don't care much for rules/regulations, prioritising tradition and the catholic church over everything else.

Lets look at all the deaths in Australia from COVID19:

March 1st: the first death from COVID-19 was a 78-year-old Perth man, one of the passengers from the Diamond Princess who was being treated in Western Australia:

https://7news.com.au/travel/coronavi...virus-c-723547

March 4th: the second death was a 95-year-old woman who died at the Dorothy Henderson Lodge aged-care facility in Sydney.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...04-p546z6.html

March 8th: the third death was an 82-year-old man, the second death at Dorothy Henderson Lodge in Sydney.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...pital/12036410

March 13th: the fourth death was a 77-year-old Brisbane woman who developed symptoms on a flight to Sydney and died the same day.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2020...onavirus-five/

March 15th: the fifth death was a 90-year-old woman, the third death at Dorothy Henderson Lodge in Sydney.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/P...200315_01.aspx

March 18th: the sixth death was an 86-year-old man being treated in a Sydney hospital.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/P...200318_00.aspx

March 20th: the seventh death was an 81-year-old woman who had close contact with another confirmed case of COVID-19 at Ryde Hospital,
Sydney.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6142988714001

March 24th: the eighth death was a 77-year-old woman from the Ruby Princess cruise ship, which had docked in Sydney on 19 March.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/P...200324_00.aspx

March 25th: the ninth death was a 68-year-old man from Toowoomba, Queensland, with a serious underlying medical condition, who had been infected on the Voyager of the Seas cruise ship.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...id-19/12090804

March 26th: four deaths were reported: three men in their 70s with pre-existing medical conditions died in Victoria.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/t...26-p54e20.html

A Perth man in his 70s who was a passenger on the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship died in Western Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...-ship/12093796

Average life expectancy in Australia is 82.5 years, four of those deaths exceed this life expectancy and one was very close at 81 years old, the rest are in their 70s and one of them was late 60s, the one in their 60s with a 'serious underlying medical condition'.

The media isn't giving you context - they're misrepresenting information, which is their usual MO anyway.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-03-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 28-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #771
prydey
Rob

don't feed the Tickford troll peeps
Old 28-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #772
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dead is not what will collapse the health system, it's the critically that will.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 28-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #773
prydey
Rob

Quote:
No stimulus packages have been started yet.
Old 28-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #774
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the Yanks seem to have the idea,don’t worry about food or clothing etc,just make sure you have plenty of guns and ammo.See they are limiting purchase of 9mm ammo to 100 rounds per person.Number 1 why do they need guns anyway.Number 2 why would they need 100 rounds.
Old 28-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #775
superyob
Banned

Quote:

This is the same country whose loony social justice prone mayors told the local populations to hug a foreigner, to prove they weren't racist or some other crap.

Surprise, surprise; those areas have the highest concentration of sickness...
Old 28-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #776
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah the Yanks seem to have the idea,don’t worry about food or clothing etc,just make sure you have plenty of guns and ammo.See they are limiting purchase of 9mm ammo to 100 rounds per person.Number 1 why do they need guns anyway.Number 2 why would they need 100 rounds.
maybe .... coz just in case the first 99 dont kill the virus

and with the tinfoil hat placed on firmly now
the comments that china needs to admit blame and what ever and trump saying no ones to blame

maybe just maybe with the negotiations that were going on with the US and China prier
maybe the US had manufactured this virus and had a certain agency release it in China , well certain big US corps are bolsters the US economy
well as said others had put up their theory so with my tinfoil hat on i will to

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 28-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #777
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and as ive on occasion been known to be wrong
so i am ti this as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
maybe just maybe with the negotiations that were going on with the US and China prier
maybe the US had manufactured this virus and had a certain agency release it in China , well certain big US corps are bolsters the US economy
as ive just had a nice little chat with some nice people that had just by chance knocked at my door and gave me the info that this was not the case at all
so i retracted the comment made and deem it to be false

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 28-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #778
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
maybe .... coz just in case the first 99 dont kill the virus

and with the tinfoil hat placed on firmly now
the comments that china needs to admit blame and what ever and trump saying no ones to blame

Trump has said it is the 'chyna' virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jing-escalates
Old 28-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #779
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aside from killing the old sick people they say it also eats the lungs of the younger healthy people leaving permanent damage. I wouldn't like that.
Old 28-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #780
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trump has said it is the 'chyna' virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jing-escalates
so ?

which could also make a conspiracy theory seem more valid to some

by my comment as i tried had to do so was a so tongue in cheek reply (and thats why i made the second post as fast as the first) to some of the posts made here and comments made in them and to be taken with no validity at all

Closed Thread