Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
mondeomatureguy

Default Ford Mondeo is about to be killed In Australia

Hi guys,
Sad news I just read tonight 28th march 2020 Ford is killing the Mondeo off the last models to arrive in the country later this year.
The SUV demand has resulted in well-rounded sedan being culled. Ford Fiesta ST and Ford Focus only passenger cars left in Ford's local line up.

As a Ford Mondeo owner I think they were great cars but for some reason Ford didn't really advertised them very well and for some reason Australians didn't really take to them which is sad.

RIP Ford Mondeo
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mondeo is about to be killed In Australia

I think the market was well aware of the Mondeo, but, for some reason the buyers just didn't take to it. Nice car, but Camrys did it for most, sadly.
Old 30-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only car left in the segment with some balls under the hood is the V6 Camry now.

I wish we got decent SUVs - Ford Explorer/Chevrolet Suburban, not rubbish 4 cylinder crap on stilts.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's sad but it was also inevitable that it was never worth the couple of hundred sales a year.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
DougalXR6

During 45 years of car ownership my 2015 MD Trend hatch in Ruby Red is the first car I've owned where people I don't know have come up to me and said " nice looking car " and other similar complements.
A shame very few actually wanted to buy a Mondeo.

I never received such comments for my FG XR6 in sensation blue and I thought it looked very good as well.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The only car left in the segment with some balls under the hood is the V6 Camry now.

I wish we got decent SUVs - Ford Explorer/Chevrolet Suburban, not rubbish 4 cylinder crap on stilts.
I'm glad Ford put the 2.0L ecoboost in the escape.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #7
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always been a big fan of the latest Mondeo - one reason why I couldn't buy one is that they just don't supply it as a manual version. It's built as a manual overseas so why can't we just get one of those??
Same as the Focus ST Wagon - that's what I'd have - not some poncey halfcast called ST Line

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I really liked the XR5T version of the Mondeo and it was great as a manual. Its just impossible to fight the juggernaut that is Camry in this class. The interiors of even the new Mondeo look boring as well compared to even the newest Camry.

The dual clutch issues also hurt all these cars whether directly or indirectly.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This came out 12 months ago. Not new news, just that no one talked about it. Mondeo has been order only for fleet customers since April 2019.

I think Ford did the right thing canning it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The medium segment has been dying for a while now. Only Camry sells.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not surprising when Ford asks +$7K more than the competition and wonders why only 20 people buy it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Not surprising when Ford asks +$7K more than the competition and wonders why only 20 people buy it.
True. But if that was the only cause then Mazda 6, Liberty and all the other competitors in the medium segment wouldn't be copping huge sales reductions either. From what I can recall the medium passenger segment was down something like 40%, and that was before coronavirus. It's a dying segment where the fleet king Camry is the only seller.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

People go to certain brands for certain products I think (bar a few brands that sell a variety of models almost equally) and Ford isn't a brand that people put on the list when looking at passenger cars. Their products don't differentiate enough from what is available from other brands for less money or better perceived brand value.

Look at the Endura and Escape. The Endura doesn't fill the void of 7 seat mid size SUV. Thats where Kluger are killing it. They could've done something different, plug-in hybrid or even hybrid but they didn't. Look at the Rav4 with its 9 month waiting period for hybrids! They did something different to the rest and its paying off big time!

They should've brought out a plug-in hybrid Mondeo or EV version ahead of the rest. The Taxi companies would've bought them in droves if they did a hybrid version.

Seem Ford are always late to the Australian market.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn’t even know they were still on the line up, haven’t seen one on the road in ages

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #15
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the fact that mondeo is axed isn't new. It was known ages ago but that shows how little anyone cared about the mondeo.
Nothing in that segment sells except camry. You may as well start spelling "sedan" as c-a-m-r-y.
People stopped buying commos, falcons, mits and nissans a long time ago. Even in the us no one was buying taurus or fusion, and it wasn't due to fuel economy it was because sedans became unpopular (except camry) full stop

E: if you want a sedan (or wagon) only the euros want them or make them (merc, volvo and BMW etc). Ford europe are in that market so they make and sell them there, but USA and AU don't seem interested in sedans unless it's a camry;with honda, subaru and kia/hyundai selling so much less.

Last edited by oldel; 30-03-2020 at 06:42 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2020, 12:21 AM   #16
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
During 45 years of car ownership my 2015 MD Trend hatch in Ruby Red is the first car I've owned where people I don't know have come up to me and said " nice looking car " and other similar complements.
Likewise. I think it's still the best looking car in its class, even though the shape has been around since 2013 (in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
List price of base Ambiente is $33,190

Optima Si: $33,390
Mazda 6 Sport: $34,490
Hyundai Sonata Active: $30,590
Camry Altise: $28,290
Liberty 2.5i: $30,240

... $7K more my ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Their products don't differentiate enough from what is available from other brands for less money or better perceived brand value.
I don't agree. I think they do differentiate their products from others, but the majority of the car buying public are sheep; they'll buy what everyone else does.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by GasoLane; 05-04-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: