Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default $500,000 for GTHO

Just came across this in Drive:
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0514-v3we.html

Anyone planning on opening their wallet for these on the weekend?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i met the guy who bought the ho for 750k, hes from up north qld , drove a mini moke to the mini muster last year
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
roadrage77

That's chicken feed for some lucky folks.
roadrage77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They talk it up but it will be interesting to see what it actually fetches come auction time.
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
GK351

Yuck at those 5 slots
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage77
That's chicken feed for some lucky folks.
About it eh,even if i had a millon i doubt despite my wanting to i could pay that much for an HO or any other car for that matter,if i had a few millon i would gladly.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
They talk it up but it will be interesting to see what it actually fetches come auction time.
auction was 4 months ago
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

To spend that kind of money on a car that old you had to have lived through that era and enjoyed those cars back in the day.

No freakin way would I spend $500,000 on a car thats 39 years old thats slower than a stock 2008 Falcon even if I had millions spare.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
To spend that kind of money on a car that old you had to have lived through that era and enjoyed those cars back in the day.

No freakin way would I spend $500,000 on a car thats 39 years old thats slower than a stock 2008 Falcon even if I had millions spare.
Likewise.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
a car thats 39 years old thats slower than a stock 2008 Falcon even if I had millions spare.
That's kinda not the point - but I agree with you neither would I. Prices ae, and have been idiotic. Awesome for the seller of course....

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

I dig the old Fords, I really do, but I've honestly never really liked these... Personally, I think the XB & XC Coupes have more appeal, and 1/5 the price tag for a hawt one.

Props to the seller but!!
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
x series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
Just came across this in Drive:
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0514-v3we.html

Anyone planning on opening their wallet for these on the weekend?
I was there at that auction started at $450,000 no bids then at down to $350,000 no bids the car was carrying alot of chrome parts froms 70's 80's era and limited people inspect it at a time,buyers are playing safe at this stage. cheers morris
x series is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I agree, unless I was that rich that 500G's was sitting in loose change in my console. But by that stage I would have already bought a XAGT coupe and XC Cobra, to park beside my XBGT coupe.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i met the guy who bought the ho for 750k, hes from up north qld , drove a mini moke to the mini muster last year
Was that Chooka Ryan, who is now in financial difficulties with a Receiver and Manager taking possession of the cars?

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:

That's not the point. It's not a car, it's a piece of uneraseable history. To have what was once the fastest 4 door car in the world sitting in your shed is priceless.

Add to that the fact that its Strayan, and its easily worth $500K to some old, rich, patriotic sentimental dude.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
That's not the point. It's not a car, it's a piece of uneraseable history. To have what was once the fastest 4 door car in the world sitting in your shed is priceless.
The fastest car in the world for that era can be had for around $120,000 US. Looks fantastic too.

To me the XY GTHO is just an overpriced falcon. No way I would pay that much for one even if I was filthy rich.

Then again I was not around to appreciate the racing in the 70s.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Ok think of it this way. How much would you pay for Mick Doohan's bike?

Or lets say you are a rich Italian dude who loves his Formula 1. How much is Michael Schumacher's Ferrari F1 car worth to you now? How about in 40 years time?

The value of an item has nothing to do with the sum of it's parts, but rather what people are willing to pay to own it. Think of Carrol Shelby's AC Cobra Prototype. Rubbish by today's car standards, but as a piece of history, it's worth whatever the highest bidder thinks it is.

History can never be rewritten, and the XY GTHO Phase III will always be a part of it. Not just history, but Strayan History.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8

Add to that the fact that its Strayan, and its easily worth $500K to some old, rich, patriotic sentimental dude.
I was born in 1991, what happened in the 1970s to me is just something I see in pictures, hear other people talking about or see on TV. I wasn't around for the experience.

It only applies to a small insignificant section of "Australian History" as well, anyone who isn't interested in cars won't know what a "GTHO Phase III" is.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #19
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was born in 1991, what happened in the 1970s to me is just something I see in pictures, hear other people talking about or see on TV. I wasn't around for the experience.

It only applies to a small insignificant section of "Australian History" as well, anyone who isn't interested in cars won't know what a "GTHO Phase III" is.
Im glad you dont get it, one less person to compete with for a limited quanity Aussie Icon.

For those of us that know the difference between royal blood and commons what a ride they are.

In a way I feel sorry for you, I cant put into words what you are missing, with your blind vision you will never see or experience what a HO Falcon is.

Your Ford experience will always be lacking without first hand experience and appreciation of what a HO Falcon represents.

Forget about what they cost or sell for, a HO Falcon is far more then its price tag could ever be.

Not everyone can comprehend this, true believers can.

Last edited by GTPete; 09-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me I see vehicles like the GTHO as pieces of rolling art than simply just cars. 500K is alot of money, but it's like people who spend 1000s of dollars on paintings. Most of us would scratch our heads wondering why they would spend so much on something that's just a picture to you, and me, but they have the passion for it.

The GTHO is apart of our Automotive culture. As much as I love my Holdens I honestly don't think anything Holden has ever made even comes close to the presence a GTHO has.

It's an icon, a legend, a classic. Something that'll never be taken away from us as Australians.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a bad price for the fastest production car in the the world at it`s time! If I had a sh**load of money it would be parked in my place right now! And to Ryan,well said! I`m glad to see not all Holden lovers are the same high five to you buddy!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how much would you pay for a Z series Maloo R8, the FASTEST PRODUCTION UTE IN THE WORLD EVER?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #23
Boosh Brus

The BMW Euro E28 M5 was the fastest four door back in 1984 and that can be had for around $15-20k overseas. They were never available here in that spec. Brilliant car.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #24
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And how much would you pay for a Z series Maloo R8, the FASTEST PRODUCTION UTE IN THE WORLD EVER?
Nothing! as it`s not a icon or a legend or a real big part of australia history! Most aussies wouldnt even know what a Z series maloo R8 even is! Ask them what a falcon GTHO is & they will soon tell you!
Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted post, I wasnt making sense...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post