Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Smile too easy to spin the wheels off the mark.

Im not sure if its normal or not for a pretty stock 5l v8 lane to spin the wheels very easily off the mark without stalling it up and with traction control off.

Seems to be even easier after the pacemakers were fitted hehe.
Its almost annoying and with the TC enabled it seems to kick in alot.

Pretty sure the torque converter is stock too.

It has a stock 3.23:1 single spinner diff and did it about the same with the old michelin pilots 235 45 r17 as it does with the new sumitomo 255 45 r17's.

Im thinking perhaps my toe link bushes may be soft? But they seem to be wearing evenly and i cant feel any slack in the rear

Might be a silly question but has anyone else with a stockish 8 with irs notice this?

Old 17-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: too easy to spin the wheels off the mark.

Well given the single spinner and relatively cheap tyres then it's no surprise. I don't see anything special that your motor would have to indicate otherwise

If you had a high end tyre like a Toyo T1R, Yoko's etc and a LSD it would be a different story. Anyone can spin wheels these days, it's the grip effort when you've got buckets of torque that sets a car above the rest.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Yeah i know its not a grunter, the spin is more likely coz of single spinner. Its def not a sluggish car nor is it scary quick, (i have driven a tunnel rammed 351 xy ) the wifes fg xr6 would beat my car, but it has 10 yrs more development and 2 extra gears on its side.

I understand the sumis arent super grippy but i thought the michelin pilots were not junk either.

Of course it wont spin the wheels when already on its way, perhaps a chirp or 2 if you boot it when already rolling.

My query is more of a car setup question as in diff, tyres and suspension.

Cheers.

Last edited by mif73; 17-11-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
STINKY NINJA
Banned

yeah get a decent lsd under the *** end and you wont have that issue again,ever... even with crap tyres.
More like spin the wheel not wheels,even a stock 4.0 will spin one wheel super easy with a single pegger.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Smile Re: too easy to spin the wheels off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
yeah get a decent lsd under the *** end and you wont have that issue again,ever... even with crap tyres.
More like spin the wheel not wheels,even a stock 4.0 will spin one wheel super easy with a single pegger.
Ta mate.
If my diff needs a rebuild will def get an lsd centre fitted, gonna need that when the blower goes in hehe.
Old 17-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
even a stock 4.0 will spin one wheel super easy with a single pegger.
haha yup
even spinning both ain't that hard with the stock 215 section tyres, let alone the AU1 205's....
Old 18-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Esteven8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
haha yup
even spinning both ain't that hard with the stock 215 section tyres, let alone the AU1 205's....
I can vouch for this, until I fitted the 235's my VCT Ghia was spinning both 215's waaaay to easily. I was very surprised.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Ok to sum up.
With 3.23 and lsd centre my 255's wont be spinning unless its wet or until i bolt on a blower.

I did think that the extra weight over the rear and the irs would make the bum a bit stickier without lsd but it seems to no be the case.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by mif73; 18-11-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 23-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Had a wheel alignment done today.
The left rear toe in was about 5mm too far in and the drivers side was about 2mm too far toe in.
It could explain the sideways skipping of the rears when going over a bump or pot hole.
I did ask for a print out of current settings but they reckon their printer was down so i will drop in next week for the measurements.
I hope they checked the rear camber too as i did install a camber adjuster.

I think the previous wheel alignment was done with worn rear wheel bearings and worn spherical joints and the toe in was increased in error.

Will try and take it for a test drive tomorrow.
Closed Thread