Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
lush

Default Suzuki Vitara

Anyone happen to have one or know anyone that has one?

Thinking of buying a two door soft top version as a run around fun / beach car. Ive googled reviews but I always like to hear from people that have actually owned them for a good few years.

Any reports?

:eclipsee_
http://www.lifesnotalwaysbeautiful.blogspot.com/
lush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
dillza_69
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush
Anyone happen to have one or know anyone that has one?

Thinking of buying a two door soft top version as a run around fun / beach car. Ive googled reviews but I always like to hear from people that have actually owned them for a good few years.

Any reports?

Yep parents have the 4 door had it for 5 years and only a coil pack in all that time, fun on the beach and will take a beating
dillza_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

We bought a 92 two door for my daughter about 12 months ago. It hasn't missed a beat. Is very economical as well.
Old 18-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Girlfriends family has a early-mid 90's model. It hasnt been very well looked after, but the only problem its had has been a leak in a power steering line and a flat battery. A bit of a rough ride at times but overall good cars

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Girlfriends family has a early-mid 90's model. It hasnt been very well looked after, but the only problem its had has been a leak in a power steering line and a flat battery. A bit of a rough ride at times but overall good cars
Apparently a leaky power steering box is not un-common. I found that out when I was doing some research before buying my Daughters. We had a flat battery as well!!! Spooky!!
Old 18-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep! Probably get abused a bit more than yours will though! Great fun car, not much goes wrong with them. but when it does, vitara parts are dearer and harder to source than sierra ones from my experience. This one just had a burnt out valve, so we had the valves done, head cleaned up, gearbox bearings done and new rear diff center, cost about 3k. Sierra parts can just about be had for nothing! Just a weekend basher.
Expect it to leak in decent rain, expect it to be noisy on the highway. They arent quite as capable in standard form off road as a sierra, but they'll still take you many places and suprise you how far they'll get compared to a big heavy standard 4wd.
Usually you'll either pick them up for a steal, or pay in gold bars. Ours is a 96 model, and i've still seen 90 models trying to sell for more than we got it for.

schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah, and if you want a comprehensive what goes wrong, and what to look out for, or want any particular info, get onto Outerlimits 4x4 and look in the Suzuki section. Plenty of die hard owners that'll point you in the right direction for everything from parts, to what exactly to look for when buying 1, price, and even what's around.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I'm the Business Manager for Suzuki in Adelaide and this product is pretty hard to kill. We sometimes have waiting lists of customers wanting to buy one and we buy most of the wholesale ones from Victoria and SA and retail them in our used yard. Great product, economical and they just keep on going.

Cheers
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
lush

Guys thanks so much for that, always liek to hear it from 'real' people so to speak.

And Schmidty thanks for the link, off to check it now

Im test driving one tommorow night so will go and get up to date with what to look out for.

Old 18-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

My ex had one. Noisy (road & mechanical), bumpy, uncomfortable & gutless. However, like has been said, nothing ever went wrong with it, ever, and ran on an oily rag. Would probably make a good run-about.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
lush

Apprently the Vitara are a bit quieter and smoother than the Sierras BA Turbs, glad Im not test driving a sierra then

Although as its only a run about, a lot of what I usually look for wont matter too much.

Old 18-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
My ex had one. Noisy (road & mechanical), bumpy, uncomfortable & gutless.
Yeah but what about the Suzuki?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Yeah but what about the Suzuki?