Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
josh_hartman
Banned

Default 220kw power steering leak

i Have been a member on here for years now. my first car was an au flacon series one. then i bought a nissan skyline r33 which i still have but recently i traded my r6 for a 220kw rebel xr8 and i have a problem. where the fitting joins onto the power steering pump it leaks fluid out the top. has anyone else had this. is there maybe a copper washer or something suppose to be there??

josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_hartman
i Have been a member on here for years now. my first car was an au flacon series one. then i bought a nissan skyline r33 which i still have but recently i traded my r6 for a 220kw rebel xr8 and i have a problem. where the fitting joins onto the power steering pump it leaks fluid out the top. has anyone else had this. is there maybe a copper washer or something suppose to be there??
Common problem, it is the high pressure hose and it is a complete unit. They cost about $170 from Ford + fitting.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
josh_hartman
Banned

Is there any way around it?
Old 19-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Not that I know of, considering it is under pressure too I personally wouldn't like to try a stop gap solution.

EDIT: Actually if it is the actually screw in connection that is leaking maybe a call to a hose joiner mob like Enzed might be a goer.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes there is, no reason paying that much for a hose when the fitting is stuffed and not very hard to replace and much cheaper than buying hose.

There is a thread somewhere in the AU section or the forums, ill have a look for it in a sec.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
josh_hartman
Banned

alright thanks. i dont really want to spend that much on a leak if i dont have to
Old 19-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I had to have the high pressure P/S hose replaced in my TE aswell, i thought there was no other way around it
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Just the fitting is available as a seperate part from Ford, it is meant to be used with a new line.

However you can very carefully hacksaw the old fitting off right at the point where the internal circlip sits, and then fit the new fitting.

The o-ring inside the fitting goes hard after many years.
Old 19-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...85#post1683585

This is one thread about the fix, but im certain that there was one with pics etc but i cant find it.

Basically you undo the line at the pump and cut just the fitting off very carefully (without touching the line) and all you do is buy the fitting new from ford for the grand sum of $15, and once the old one is off, the new one just slips straight on.

Stuff replacing the whole line, the way they are positioned around the air con lines and run down along the pass side of the motor, then switch to the drivers side and then onto the rack is a major pain and not easy to do.

See how you go, i have 2 cars to do when i get a chance! lol.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
5L
[ 5L ]

i had my o ring where the power steering line connects to the pump go, woke up and there was a puddle of power steering fluid on the driveway.

took it down they replaced the o ring which is apparently a common problem with these, cost me $30 i think to fix, and that included draining and replacing the power steering fluid.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

im looking at an xr8 thats got the same issue, i can only assume that the dodgiest job on earth will be done to "fix" it as it's at a dealer.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post