Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Default 220kw XR8 a good buy?

Hi Guys,

I currently drive a AU1 4L wagon thats on it's last legs. As much as I don't REALLY want to part with money for a new car, a friend of mine just recently picked up a BA xr8 ute and I suddenly feel inferior!
Apart from not being able to afford a BA, something about the good ol' Windsor block and the honestness of the old AU has me captured.
More to the point, I'm asking if any owners of these cars have anything to say in regards to them? What to look out for? Whats great about them? Whats bad?
Also realistically, considering the power difference between the BA and the AU, how much work am I going to have to do to it to wipe the smile of my mates face at the lights?

The AU is a great falcon, extremely underrated. Driving mates' VY Commodores and even some BA falcons, I feel relieved hopping back into my clapped-out AU, theres just something about the way it handles and the torque delivery. God the Ecotec is just the spawn of Satan!

seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

If the AU XR8 is in good order than you wont have to much trouble keeping up with the sluggish BA at all!

Some others might have different opinons though.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yeah a 220kw XR8 in good condition is an awesome buy.

IMO post AU3 Falcons lost some of the 'Ford-ness' that was developed in the 90s and feel alot more clinical. Even though there were some great additions and improvements to BA the heart and soul of the ED-AU3 'boy racer' XRs was lost.

Re: the AU2/3 XR8s love the sound and torque of the Windsor, love the razor sharp handling, the comfort of the IRS, the quad head light 'look at me' front end and the interior that feels well put together out of quality bits and pieces.

Others will be able to help you with what to look out for, the only things I can think of atm are the clutch/firewall issues that can happen on a manual, the big clunk you get in auto as you slow down and it shifts back into first, and bits that can wear rapidly on the IRS.

A 220 with a few mods should do pretty well in a straight line if thats your thing.

Good luck with the purchase.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Whats great about them? Whats bad?
If you haven't read this before have a look at this review, imo its a good overall summary of these great cars, you won't go wrong if you buy a good example.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...1509&pg=1&vf=0
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

They are good. Buy one.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Hi,

I actually read that review on the car last night before I posted this thread, they seem to praise it alot.
I should mention that I would only consider buying a manual, I have driven a couple of 4L manual AU's (one with a triple-plate clutch, one normal) and both were a little bit on the clunky, dumpy-clutch side. Is this the same drill with the xr8? I'd imagine it would be, it doesn't phase me THAT much but just out of curiosity I guess I'd like to know.
Probably should actually take one for a drive.

Also, someone reffered to the BA as being 'sluggish', in what way? Low-end torque?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Yes the BA are sluggish of the bottom so the 220 is much more fun around town.

Ive had mine just on four years and still puts a smile on my face every drive.

Get a S3.be patient and look for a good one with the lowest km possible. With a good zoost and flash tune 13sec time slips wont be a problem. (if drags are your thing)
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Yeh, that would make sense I guess, I want useable torque like a v8 should be.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having owned both a 220 AU XR8 and a BA XR8 at the same time i can guarantee you the BA is 3 - 4 car lengths quicker to 100kph than the AU. A mate and i compared them side by side a number of times and they're chalk and cheese, the BA feels and goes much quicker.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Having owned both a 220 AU XR8 and a BA XR8 at the same time i can guarantee you the BA is 3 - 4 car lengths quicker to 100kph than the AU. A mate and i compared them side by side a number of times and they're chalk and cheese, the BA feels and goes much quicker.
Mate it all depends on certain things, me in my AU xr8 vs my mates BA xr8... We were DEAD even until about 120km/h when he started to pull away... I even managed to beat him once down the 1/4....his car only done 26000kms and my au has done 100000kms... So it depends on a few things...

So mate i reckon u should go out and buy one! They're a great car! I just got my AU Xr8 220 last week lol! But my bros had one for the last few years and hes had no problems at all....
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

BA utes are heavier and slower than sedans.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
There is no denying the BA does have a very impressive top end as opposed to the 220 seems to lose its urgency around five grand and up. But 3 - 4 car lengths to 100kph, Driver error i think !!!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
ebxr8boy

i would buy the 220 over a BA anyday. We were on the highway on the way back from wet and wild just after the BA's had been released. There was 5 of us in my mates auto 220 when a citric BA XR8 sedan pulled up trying to have a go so of we went. Starting at approx 80k's we ran a couple of times to about 150-170ish and to my amazement we pulled on him every time. The only mods to the 220 where a 3/8 phanolic spacer and some porting on the lower intake manifold which i did for him.

It was pretty safe to say the fella in the BA looked disappointed with his new car
RIP - EB XR8 5spd - 168rwkw 400nm - Explorer Manifold, Phenolic spacer, K&N panel, U/D pulleys, 65mm Throttle, STD maf, ported E7's, Extractors, STD cats, STD exhaust no mufflers, AU snorkel, EF/EL Thermo's, unknown cam

14.6 @ 95 before Explorer Manifold and spacer

Daily - 4.0T Econovan

New project - 5.4l 331ci GT45, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, Diamond pistons, C6 Auto
ebxr8boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Buy one, long live the windsor V8
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
There is no denying the BA does have a very impressive top end as opposed to the 220 seems to lose its urgency around five grand and up. But 3 - 4 car lengths to 100kph, Driver error i think !!!
Nup.. repeated on numerous occasions and driver swaps, the BA is simply a quicker car, the 220 is a nice bit of work no doubt, i did enjoy the 220 AU, but its slow in comparison, even going by the mag times they are half a second slower than the BA on average.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #16
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Nup.. repeated on numerous occasions and driver swaps, the BA is simply a quicker car, the 220 is a nice bit of work no doubt, i did enjoy the 220 AU, but its slow in comparison, even going by the mag times they are half a second slower than the BA on average.
That's very surprising to me.

Have done the same comparison with my mates BA the result was exact opposite to your outcome, also have been down the motorplex at least half a dozen times a year for the last four years and have never been passed before half track by a STOCK geared BA or BF.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
The variables from 220 to 220 were a lot larger than most cars, just have a look at the time slips and dyno sheets in here, they vary widely with some pulling 160rwkw and some of the best pulling 190rwkw. Hell look at Whoosha's, with very minimal mods his ran a 13.7 and when mine was stockish it had no issue keeping up with a BA XR8.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Just had a look at your XR Russell,
Holy Crap! that is infinitely better/cooler than a BA XR.
I have to agree with alot of you guys, and it has only further affirmed my previous opinion - the AU XR's are hardcore!

I'm gunna suss out the bank situation and the laws regarding P-plate power-restrictions in Victoria (although I'm willing to break them if its by a small margin)
On that note! say the police check your power output on a dyno (they probably won't), are they going to be measuring the rear-wheel kw or the engine kw? It's not very clear on the VicRoads website.
Also I should mention that I got my P's before July 2007, so I'm not affected by the "no v8's" rule as such, but I am subject to a 125kw/tonne power-to-weight ratio.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
I'm gunna suss out the bank situation and the laws regarding P-plate power-restrictions in Victoria (although I'm willing to break them if its by a small margin)
On that note! say the police check your power output on a dyno (they probably won't), are they going to be measuring the rear-wheel kw or the engine kw? It's not very clear on the VicRoads website.
Also I should mention that I got my P's before July 2007, so I'm not affected by the "no v8's" rule as such, but I am subject to a 125kw/tonne power-to-weight ratio.
Unfortuently the power to weight ratio is to large for P platers to drive them. I looked into when i was a P plater. I got of my P's about 2 months ago and im seriously considering getting one.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

could start life with a nice V8 Fairmont/ghia. Then work it or trade when your off your p's??
Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I would get a fairmont, but they are auto - I'm fairly firm on the manual idea.

Other option would be to buy something completely crappy and cheap for the interim and wait it out till June next year when I'm off P's.
It's just annoying because my car is dying NOW, and I really need a new car, it's going to be annoying to have to spend more money next year on another car when I want to shake off the P-plate power restrictions in style.

The only other thing I was thinking was possibly the 200kw XR?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
ayeyew
Teh Baest

2 words...

Buy one

Especially now, can get one very low k's good condition relatively cheapish

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

haha yeh not saying you shouldnt get one though. Its up to you!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #24
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come live in WA! Im on p plates and theres no ban on any vehicle ;)
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

lucky WA people
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

As ive said in this area Before my Manual BA XR8 With Exhaust V a mates Auto AUII XR8 220 with Exhaust is lineball till about the top of 3rd gear then the Boss Starts to pull.

Both are great cars, at the end of the day it's about killing the LSx powered Commodores not eachother.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to bring up a AU VS BF or anything...

My brother has an AUIII Tickford XR8, likes to brag that its the fastest thing on 4 wheels.... I ran it against my BF MKII XR8 ...

End of story.

:P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
Windsor220
Now Fordless

They're obviously not as quick as BA-BF but they arent far off.
Far quicker than anything E-series and other AUs bar T3.

Most powerful 5 litre ever released in Australia out of both Holden and Ford.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNBXR
Not to bring up a AU VS BF or anything...

My brother has an AUIII Tickford XR8, likes to brag that its the fastest thing on 4 wheels.... I ran it against my BF MKII XR8 ...

End of story.

:P
So what was your ET ??
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #30
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
So what was your ET ??
Bout 3 foot tall, brown, does not wear clothes, always asking to "Phone Home.."
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...