Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Speed camera increasing accidents....

http://www.caradvice.com.au/129931/s...dal-in-the-uk/

Quote:
Speed camera scandal in the UK
By Anthony Crawford | July 26th, 2011

Under new government rules in the UK, transport authorities in all counties are required to publish speed camera statistics. The county of Lancashire is one of the first to do so, and the locals are up in arms about the results.

It turns out that three speed cameras alone in the city of Preston has netted over £18,000 in fines, but accidents have actually increased.

The chairman of the Association of British Drivers Brain Gregory was clearly annoyed when he told the Lancashire Evening Post,

“Not only is it scandalous that the cameras where casualties have increased have been kept in operation for many years, it is even more disturbing that the authorities have hidden this data and authorised continued operation while being in possession of this knowledge. The government should get a grip and insist that those responsible for such malpractice in all regions are removed from public service with immediate effect.”

Perhaps this episode should be a heads up for Roads and Traffic authorities in Australia to examine the results of all the so called ‘Safety cameras’ in operation here for the purposes of discovering the effectiveness of these devices in reducing trauma and congestion on our roads.

Of course, traffic accidents in general, have fallen across the UK and in Australia over the last five years, but that’s due to a combination of factors including, more advanced vehicle safety systems and other traffic management measures, making it difficult to assess the overall effectiveness of speed cameras.

Are speed (sorry, ‘Safety’) cameras necessary, or are they merely automatic revenue collection boxes that are generally placed on straight stretches of road to catch us out?
Old 26-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speed camera increasing accidents....

Old 26-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like this.
Old 26-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Me likes.

If Govco were to release those stats theyd probobly be doctored and twisted to suit their sob story garbage mantra.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 26-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
bungarra

Wait for Sudzy and kpcart to come in and tell you you hate the police or your against govco and if you don't speed.. blah blah blah.

to add to the theme: http://www.news.com.au/national/cove...-1225874581910

Quote:
The Queensland Police Union has questioned Qovernment claims that covert speed cameras are behind a fall in road deaths.

The Government announced the introduction of covert speed cameras and unmarked police motorcycles in December last year as part of a package of road safety initiatives.

But the number of fatalities per week had increased since covert speed cameras were introduced, union president Ian Leavers said on Wednesday.

"There is not a shred of evidence that they have had any positive impact in reducing fatalities on our roads," he said.

"I fear that the Bligh Government is becoming addicted to the revenue of speed cameras."

Mr Leavers said many police officers believed covert speed cameras were "like poker machines on wheels".

"Sure they rake in the dollars, however the deterrent effect for speedsters is non-existent," he said.
The Government is due to hand down the 2010/11 State Budget on June 8, which will reveal its revenue forecasts
Old 26-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

No surprise. People have their eyes focussed on the speedo and oblivious to everything else.
Old 26-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone likes this.

Except the Australian government.
Old 26-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
No surprise. People have their eyes focussed on the speedo and oblivious to everything else.

Yeah but if your below the speed limit you don't need to concentrate on the road!!!!
Old 26-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go.
Old 26-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yeah but if your below the speed limit you don't need to concentrate on the road!!!!
what was I thinking.
Old 27-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
what was I thinking.
Nothing, apparently "they" do it all for us these days..............
Old 27-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
kpcart
Banned

yeh here we go.. the speeders like this, and normal people who drive sensibly in the speed limit and dont get fines - wont.

-saying people spend too long looking at there speedo is nonsense, i see people staring in the rear view mirror while driving! or looking at the mobile phones. that is worse. glancing at your speedo takes a micro amount of time, as does observing your surroundings and checking your mirrors, good drivers can do it, others cant because they dont want to, simple as that. if your a good driver, you can feel you speed in your car, and you can hear the revs and feel your foot on the accelerator pedal.

ahh aussie drivers - they can do it while learing to drive and while sitting their drivers test, but after that, they search for every excuse in the book because they hate the fact they just paid a voluntary tax!! (speeding fine).

infact im beginning to think it is less safe to stare in the distance looking for speed cameras, so you can momuntarily slow down, then it is to quickly glance at your speedo.

how come old people, with slower brains and reactions can drive within the speed limit? boggles the mind doesnt it for some of you cowboys.
Old 27-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if govco is soooo worried about our safety remove us from the equation.

GPS limit our cars.. then remove all camera's as they wont need them.
Old 27-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
kpcart
Banned

by the way the australian population, and especially the number of cars and drivers on the road is increasing, (as well as the population of arrogant drivers who like to drive at whatever speed they want). so ofcourse the road fatality statistics will increase.

To many people, getting a fine makes them think more when they drive and focus on not breaking rules, as they dont want another penalty.... BUT to the likes of people in this forum and especially "car enthusiats" it just brings out more hate against authority. whats wrong with people these days? you all hate authority, but when you are in serious trouble, whats the first number you call? 000 (until the next day, when you start complaining about how long they took to provide help to your obnoxious needs).
Old 27-07-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

you can break every rule in the book but one, speed.
safety cams got you covered. "safely"
Old 27-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
sudszy
Banned

Wow, another anti speed camera article by another motoring journalist that has declared which car companies pay for his overseas junkets to test fast cars?

Same old, same old.....people here can’t even research the basic facts of lack of behind the story, ?

Well, the basic facts are very hard to come by......3 cameras in Lancashire recorded an increase in accidents nearby over last years figures? And how many accidents was that and how many people were being booked”? one of the cameras only recorded nine speeding infractions in the whole year, obviously its there for revenue raising

What didn’t we hear from our motoring journalist:

According to latest Government figures the number of people killed or seriously injured on the roads in Lancashire is at a 30 year low. There were 798 such incidents last year compared to 852 in 2009.

There are actually 282 speed cameras in Lancashire: http://safe2travel.co.uk/cameras.asp, are we to assume(Im guessing that we'd of heard otherwise if it were not the case) that the other 279 of them show decreasing or static trends? Personally I haven’t got time to check em all, but others are welcome.

Oh, yes, but any anti camera fanatic would trot out this one just like UK motoring groups do too:
“And driving groups say the figures, which the Government ordered the release of yesterday, do not prove that cameras have reduced accidents, because the number of accidents on every road in the country have plummeted in recent years, better cars, safety features etc”

There you have it, definite proof that speed cameras have no effect on reducing incidents, but anywhere where there is a blip and the accident rates go up speed cameras are definitely causing the accidents!

Of course other reasons as to why accidents on “every road”(I don’t think every road) , including non camera roads have decreased:

1. people have slowed down because they believe they could be photographed anywhere any time and have changed their driving habits accordingly

2. Or indeed the morons who have been picked up by the cameras and have refused to change their habits and have been disqualified from driving have been prevented from contributing to the road toll!

are these entertained by our journo or the anti camera folk......... .

But what do we hear from our esteemed journalist?:

consult safety authorities for any other relevant info?: no just gets a comment from Brain? or is it Brian Gregory of the Association of British motorists:
http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/717.htm(= nut jobs who have created a website for people bleating about being fined etc)

“Not only is it scandalous that the cameras where casualties have increased have been kept in operation for many years, it is even more disturbing that the authorities have hidden this data and authorised continued operation while being in possession of this knowledge. The government should get a grip and insist that those responsible for such malpractice in all regions are removed from public service with immediate effect.”

wow, now even Im convinced

Last edited by sudszy; 27-07-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

claimed 98% of all fatal acco's are below the posted speed limit.
http://rcandelori.wordpress.com/2011...l-on-speeding/

govco very quiet.
http://www.roadsense.com.au/misleading_data.html
Old 27-07-2011, 03:09 AM   #18
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least you guys can be civil about it, on OCAU and WP these sort of discussions turn into a 100 page **** flinging contest and the mods overcompensate and ban people :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

govco very quiet.
Does not suprise me at all, i have always thought mobile speed camera's and their past roadside/permanant iterations where just to raise revinue, i am all for getting dumbshits off the road but speed camera's do nothing, remember how 100km/h and averages for truckies where meant to stop them speeding/driving like ****? Well yeah it did not work!
Old 27-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #19
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

govco very quiet.
....a blog by a person who isnt worried about japanese reactors and another website claiming some sort of authority, but is just another "nutjob" having a whinge about getting fined.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
....a blog by a person who isnt worried about japanese reactors and another website claiming some sort of authority, but is just another "nutjob" having a whinge about getting fined.
you fail!!
Old 27-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #21
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sudszy is the typical type of person that allows Big Brother to do the **** they do.

Call us 'nutjobs' but people who are always behind the curve like yourself could not see change if it hit you in the face and called you a liar.

All welcome our tripod overlords!

http://www.redflex.com/html/global/index.php

Last edited by falconnut; 27-07-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 27-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #22
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Sudszy is the typical type of person that allows Big Brother to do the **** they do.

Call us 'nutjobs' but people who are always behind the curve like yourself could not see change if it hit you in the face and called you a liar.
Sorry Falconnut I wasnt referring to other users as "nutjobs".

i was referring to the people that start anticamera websites(coincidentally many push an anti agw agenda as well) as 'nutjobs', you have started such a site?.....or is it because you have "nut" in your username that you are sensitive about?

Last edited by sudszy; 27-07-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 27-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #23
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

2 sides to the argument and neither can give conclusive proof . . . . again

personally, as i have stated in other posts i do believe speed cameras help to contribute to accidents among the hoon brigade

however the facts are: they are for revenue - they are not for safety
having said that, i do not want speed cameras to go - they will not stop me for a roadworthy check or a speeding fine . . . plus if everyone stops speeding, they will just find another way to tax us and then i will be stung too. please everyone keep speeding - and if you only get one fine every now and then, consider your self smart or lucky that you are only being taxed the bare minimum. if they take away the cameras, that amount will certainly rise
Old 27-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

i was referring to the people that start anticamera websites(coincidentally many push an anti agw agenda as well) as 'nutjobs', you have started such a site?.....or is it because you have "nut" in your username that you are sensitive about?
Seems the same people are here pushin the same agendas, wrong place. Maybe you would be better off on a traffic law forum.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 27-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #25
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yet again you only enter this site for one particular type of thread to push your own agenda, then personally attack members with a different point of view to yours. You will see this thread closed too...but maybe that is what you want. Isn't that what all dictatorships do? - close anything down that contradicts the ruling govco opinions on what is good for the people? You do work for them don't you?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 27-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
2 sides to the argument and neither can give conclusive proof . . . . again

personally, as i have stated in other posts i do believe speed cameras help to contribute to accidents among the hoon brigade

however the facts are: they are for revenue - they are not for safety
having said that, i do not want speed cameras to go - they will not stop me for a roadworthy check or a speeding fine . . . plus if everyone stops speeding, they will just find another way to tax us and then i will be stung too. please everyone keep speeding - and if you only get one fine every now and then, consider your self smart or lucky that you are only being taxed the bare minimum. if they take away the cameras, that amount will certainly rise

^ This.

/thread.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia...over regulated ....Nooooo...
Old 27-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm always right. You're always wrong. Now believe me because I said so.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
yeh here we go.. the speeders like this, and normal people who drive sensibly in the speed limit and dont get fines - wont.

Always a good idea to generalize isn't it? Helps you make your point easier even if you get it wrong.

Quote:

Well, the basic facts are very hard to come by......3 cameras in Lancashire recorded an increase in accidents nearby over last years figures? And how many accidents was that and how many people were being booked”? one of the cameras only recorded nine speeding infractions in the whole year, obviously its there for revenue raising

So everyone is going slow and accident numbers still increase?
No way. That must mean there are other causes of accidents!
Old 27-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #30
MAD
Petro-sexual

What exactly does a camera do to stop someone from doing 150km/h through an 80 zone while racing his mate or running from a cop car?
Nothing. It sends a fine out a couple of weeks later and if the guy didnt kill himself, on the night it happened, he will lose a few points, his license for a while, and have a lighter wallet.
Closed Thread