Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RIP to Daniel Morecombe

One of QLDs most followed and public cases finally has an important chapter close...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-0...rcombe/4414088
Quote:
The funeral to farewell teenager Daniel Morcombe is underway on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

The 13-year-old disappeared nine years ago today while waiting for a bus to go Christmas shopping.

His remains were found last year in bushland in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

Today his family, friends and the community are saying goodbye at Siena Catholic College at Sippy Downs, which is Daniel's old school.

The Morcombes asked people not to be sad or angry today but to celebrate their son's life.

Parents Bruce and Denise Morcombe placed Daniel's unopened Christmas presents from nine years ago on his coffin.

In his eulogy, his brother Dean Morcombe, spoke of the close bond Daniel had with his twin Bradley.

He highlighted his brother's love of cakes, bikes and animals.

Bruce Morcombe paid tribute to all those who helped in the search for his son, describing him as a quiet, unassuming little boy.

"He was not an attention-seeker yet because of his sparkling eyes and beaming smile he is someone everyone took into their hearts," he said.
People gather for Daniel Morcombe's funeral. Photo: People gather for Daniel Morcombe's funeral. (ABC News: Bruce Atkinson)

About 2,000 people, many wearing red, are at the service and have spilled out of the church and are watching on a big screen.

Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart says today's service gives the Morcombe family some closure.

"I think the whole of Queensland joins with us in the sympathies to the Morcombe family particularly today, nine years to the day that Daniel went missing," he said.
Tributes sit at the memorial for Daniel Morcombe at the Kiel Mountain Road overpass. Photo: Tributes and olive trees, symbolising peace, sit at the memorial for Daniel Morcombe at the Kiel Mountain Road overpass. (ABC News: Bruce Atkinson)

Father Joe Duffy says there will be a requiem mass and a procession with a guard of honour.

"There'll be a guard of honour that's at least 150 metres long and I think that's something that a lot of people will want to take part in," he said.

Father Duffy says he hopes it will bring closure for the family.

"The most important thing about this funeral is for his brothers, his parents and grandparents and the immediate family - that they have a time of prayer and closure," he said.
The plaque on the memorial for Daniel Morcombe at the Kiel Mountain Road overpass. Photo: The plaque on the memorial for Daniel Morcombe at the Kiel Mountain Road overpass. (ABC News: Bruce Atkinson)

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman says the thoughts of all Australians are with Daniel Morcombe's family today.

Mr Newman is attending the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting in Canberra, but says he wishes he could be with the family.

"They have been amazing people through this terrible ordeal - they've shown incredible stoicism," he said.

"They've also become inspirational in terms of their quest to warn everybody in Australia about child safety issues and I certainly pay tribute to them today as well."

Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson has offered his condolences.

"We've all been there beside them, supporting them through what has been a very tumultuous nine years," he said.
Timeline: Daniel Morcombe

Look back at key developments in the case

A committal hearing for the man accused of murdering Daniel will resume in February.

Brett Peter Cowan, 43, has been charged with Daniel's abduction and murder.

Forty-five witnesses have testified at the hearing over the past fortnight in Brisbane.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: RIP to Daniel Morecombe

Very sad... I still remember it going on 9 years ago... Made me feel sick then, still does now.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, RIP finally

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was watching a thing on the news this morning about the service, and I look at his parrents 9 years on and you can see the pain in their eyes.

What can I say but I hope this can help give them some form of closure , it wont turn back the clock but hopfully it can lift some of the load they are carrying

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw the funeral on Channel 9 today. It was very touching and it's great that Bruce and Denise have finally been able to lay Daniel to rest.

Someone like me has no idea how it would truly feel like to be in their situation. What it felt like to be them over the last 8 years, not knowing what happened to one of their kids is beyond imaginable to me.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They appear to be a very strong and resolute family who now live their lives through Daniel's Foundation.
How they have managed to focus on the positives is far beyond my thinking - but that's probably what has gotten them this far.
Daniel's spirit is well and truly alive thanks to them and all who are associated with the Foundation.
I see that Bob Atkinson is now a co-patron of that organisation now.

RIP Daniel, finally.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A new development in the case has been released today.

A recorded conversation with Brett Peter Cowan and police in 2011 reveals he confessed that he did kill Daniel and wanted to molest him.

Very sick.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP little guy.

As for the animal that did it...well, he'll have a long and hopefully savagely violent prison sentence to think about what he's done...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Bring back the death penalty for scum like that. He deserves to die horribly and painfully 3 or 4 times over.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope they grow cactii in prison ,,, RIP little dude
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

death is too good for filth like that. He needs to know the meaning of pain and sorrow. RIP Daniel.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970 View Post
Bring back the death penalty for scum like that. He deserves to die horribly and painfully 3 or 4 times over.
Oh don't worry...even without the death penalty, he's going to have plenty of years to find out all about "horrible" and "painful" when he gets into prison...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh don't worry...even without the death penalty, he's going to have plenty of years to find out all about "horrible" and "painful" when he gets into prison...
These kind of people get their deserved punishment when the general population finds out about their crimes.

Like the ring leader of the Sydney rapes, the other prisoners were planning to inject him with some HIV infected blood but he got moved out when the officials found out.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
This bloke will probably go straight into the protected area, not general population.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
karj
XY Falcon

It may be wise to close this thread now given that the accused is committed to stand trial.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rode in the "Ride For Daniel" one year which leaves from the Ettamogah Pub on the Sunshine Coast...it was truly amazing to be riding along the highway with about three thousand other bikes. They actually had to cancel it one year as it was too successful...just too big to safely manage.

Awesome day!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This kind of thing reminds me of some of my former colleagues who ended up in criminal law, and I've watched several of them who I graduated with back in 1996 transform over the years. Every last one left uni with beaming smiles, ambition and a certain glow of doing good. Years later some ended up either prosecuting or in some cases defending heinous crimes against children, and all of them now are former shadows of themselves. One girl in particular named Amy was the happiest girl I knew, ended up taking her own life after being made to defend an alleged pedophile and after getting him acquitted, he offended again; she couldn't carry the guilt.
The judiciary in this country is woefully inadequate, and full of political appointees that routinely give minimum sentences based loosely on some specious precedent set in some obscure case somewhere where the law got it wrong. And with each judgement it is getting worse. Furthermore, the erosion of our civil liberties and the PC elite have cascaded the problem by allowing the perpetrators to be given protective custody, security and other rights that these vermin never afford their victims.

The sad part is, crimes against children are on the increase and with the advent of the internet, access to children for sexual gratification purposes has encouraged a massive growth industry. It would frighten any person to realise just how many international pedophile rings there are in this country. We literally have more pedophiles than we've ever had before and frankly, crimes against children I believe are sound reason for the reintroduction of the death penalty alone.
I realise this little rant is uncalled for and believe me I've written and deleted most of it but I plead with all of you with children; be as careful as you can when it comes to the kids, make the extra effort to know where they are, pick them up late at night and do all you can to protect them from the literally thousands of sick ***** who prowl the streets looking for children. I can tell you solemnly from people I've met and consoled over the years with missing kids, the pain for those left behind and searching is insurmountable and it never ever goes away. Please be cautious mums and dads.

As for poor Daniel, this piece of scum Brett Cowan has shown contrition for his crime by describing Daniels death as an accident in an attempt for clemency by the court, don't be surprised if he gets less than 15 years/10 with parole.

Quote: