Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Australian Defence Force to sell off thousands of vehicles and other war equipment

Australian Defence Force to sell off thousands of vehicles and other war equipment

IAN McPHEDRAN - DEFENCE WRITER
News Limited Network
January 30, 2013 11:30PM

For sale: 3300 Land Rovers, 2500 trailers, 70 Hornet fighters (yep, Hornet fighters)
Vehicles alone worth $100 million
Wide range of colours: Khaki or camouflage

Hornet fighter

Seventy F/A-18 Hornet jet fighters are for sale, but probably not to private buyers. Pity. Picture: Defence Source: Supplied

AUSTRALIANS will soon be able to own, and use, a slice of military history, as a huge sale of second-hand vehicles kicks off the largest disposal of defence equipment since World War II.

A vast range of war fighting kit from machine guns to jet fighters and torpedos to warships will eventually be sold.

Starting in March, up to 12,000 vehicles, including Land Rovers, trucks, semi-trailers, tankers, Unimogs, motorcycles and trailers valued at more than $100 million will be sold by Sydney-based firm Australian National Disposals, trading as Australian Frontline Machinery (AFM).

Most are about 25 years old with 125,000km on the clock and not a bullet hole in sight, in either khaki or a fetching camouflage paint scheme.
Military vehicles

But you can get an all-terrain Unimog.

They range in quality from rolled-over write-offs to near-pristine vehicles fitted with premium accessories.

Defence is buying a new vehicle fleet for $7 billion with phase three of the project to deliver about 4600 light to heavy vehicles worth $3.1 billion.

Over the 15 years, the Commonwealth will also sell hundreds of warplanes, warships, helicopters, armoured vehicles, explosives and weapons as it moves to replace 85 per cent of military equipment.
Military vehicles

Four-wheel-drive not enough for you? The army has six-wheel-drive variants.

The sale of combat equipment is subject to strict rules to prevent it falling in to the hands of potential enemies or dodgy dictators. Countries such as Fiji, Syria, Yemen and Iran, and companies dealing with such regimes, are on the banned list.

The overall sale of used gear will yield hundreds of millions of dollars that will offset the cost of weapons systems such as new generation submarines and frigates and stealth fighter jets.

The vehicle offering will eventually include 3300 Land Rovers and light vehicles, 2500 light trailers, 2430 medium trucks, 1100 medium-heavy trucks, 110 semi-trailers and 80 low loaders.
Military vehicles

Smaller pieces of equipment will also be for sale, as will trailers to cart it all home in.

The first sale will be held in March using on-line auction house Graysonline when 70 vehicles will go under the virtual hammer.

AFM has a 12,000 square metre undercover facility at Minto in southwest Sydney where the vehicles will be sanitised, upgraded and stored for inspection by potential buyers.

Company spokesman Luke Parker said the vehicles would be thoroughly checked for hazardous materials before being sold under open auction conditions.
Military vehicles

Or maybe you'll buy too much to fit in a trailer.

About 1000 will go each year and many of them will be sold with a blue slip for registration and be ready for work.

"They will be sold unreserved so we expect some absolute bargains will be there for those with the cash on the day," Mr Parker said.

Defence Materiel Minister Jason Clare said the vehicles would be sold to Australian and overseas buyers to maximise the financial return to the Commonwealth.
Military vehicles

And of course, you're going to need fuel...

"A number of vehicles will be reserved and offered exclusively to community and heritage organisations, including the Australian War Memorial, RSLs and other historical organisations," he said.

Interested parties can register their interest with the Defence Disposals Agency at www.defence.gov.au/dda or e-mail disposals@defence.gov.au

THE DEFENCE GARAGE SALE

12,000 vehicles (3300 Land Rovers variants, 2500 light trailers, 2430 medium trucks)

Up to 24 ships; (Landing ships HMAS Manoora and Kanimbla, supply ship, frigates, barges)

70 combat aircraft; (F/A-18 Hornet fighters)

110 other aircraft; (C-130 Hercules, King Air)

* 120 helicopters; (Sea King, Seahawk, Blackhawk)

* 600 armoured vehicles; (Armoured personnel carriers)

* A range of communications systems, weapons and explosive ordnance (M2A2 Howitzers, 30 calibre machine guns, Hamel guns, M60D Machine guns, SLRs, torpedos).
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/austra...-1226565344839

Last edited by csv8; 31-01-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Defence Force to sell off thousands of vehicles and other war equipmen

For sale 6x Collins class submarines NOT XW-XY-XA-XB-XC

good for project or parts

single owner log books included

selling due to too many projects on the go and not enough money

inspections strongly recommended

buyer to arrange own transport -- vehicles have not run since 1996
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Defence Force to sell off thousands of vehicles and other war equipmen

So our already underfunded under equipped Armed Forces are denuded even more . Gee I hope they spend the windfall on something really important like painting pedestrian crossings like a rainbow . Forget a September 14 election have it this weekend and lets end this bloody farce now .
Old 31-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

They sold off some Land Rovers and other vehicles a couple of years ago, must have been the really rooted ones they sold off.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Sign me up for a Perentie Land Rover.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Unimog would be a great off roader...

Motorcycles? I seem to remember they had something like DR650's a few years back...awesome go-anywhere bike that can be used for touring as well.

Should be some bargains there...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

XT600s was the go for a long time.
Old 31-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I thought it was M20 and M21 BSA's? Or 42WLA Harley's?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Pretty sure it's a whole bunch of quad bikes, not "motorcycles". They come with trailers too.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Yep, XT600's are what the MP's used, I have seen XR250's and DR400's come up at auction as well.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 31-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The hornets aren't for sale... News story sorta ran away with the facts... Haha... They won't be mothballing any classic hornets for at least 12 months... And even when they do, they will use parts off old ones to keep the rest of the classic fleet flying...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
vehicles have not run since 1996
This one seems to be running just fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFVOL7mLd4
Old 31-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unimog's would be great off road however they tend break down a fair bit and gearboxes die fairly regularly.

Landrover's chew through rear mains, 2nd gear, diffs and front axle shafts often.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of this stuff is Vietnam era or earlier and not compatible with current technology.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I want a Sea King in the bottom paddock, preferably one I controlled a lot back in the day :-)
Old 31-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I want one of them Black Hawk Helicopters. I 've got some bad weeds near my creek and can't get near them with the mower. That would get the neighbours talking..........
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I want one of them Black Hawk Helicopters. I 've got some bad weeds near my creek and can't get near them with the mower. That would get the neighbours talking..........
How about a flame thrower ???
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
The overall sale of used gear will yield hundreds of millions of dollars that will offset the cost of weapons systems such as new generation submarines and frigates and stealth fighter jets.

Gods, they must be stealthy. I am in the RAAF at a fighter base and haven't seen one yet.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

a hornet would look good in the garage.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't you prefer something that stays in the air
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock View Post
Gods, they must be stealthy. I am in the RAAF at a fighter base and haven't seen one yet.
It says "to offset the cost of new technologies" which means they want to put the money toward the F-35 purchase.

Did the Aus gummint' only support the JSF programme to build relations with the US? Hope the F-35 is good enough to justify the cost over something like a mig-35 or su-37.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
anto
Za Dom spremni

ummm yeah I think so
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
It says "to offset the cost of new technologies" which means they want to put the money toward the F-35 purchase.

Did the Aus gummint' only support the JSF programme to build relations with the US? Hope the F-35 is good enough to justify the cost over something like a mig-35 or su-37.
What?

The real world is not a XBox or Playstation.......
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
max_torq
From the Futura

600 M113? that should flood the market... I wonder what they'll get at auction?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
How about a flame thrower ???
He wants something to use against the weeds, not the neighbours.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
What?

The real world is not a XBox or Playstation.......
What I'm saying is, the F-35 was developed as a result of the "Joint Strike Fighter" programme for the US military's next multi-role fighter. It has since proven to be a bit of a dud and it's maintenance costs are so much higher now than previously stated. This has forced a number of buyers to reconsider their commitment to the fleet acquisition.

Why then, did they not consider Russian fighters? Or the Eurofighter Typhoon?
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
This one seems to be running just fine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFVOL7mLd4

Amazing stuff innit. Admire those sailors in that tin can, no wonder they get paid handsomely for being down there.

Media have unfairly canned the Collins Class subs for years, when the facts are they are one of the best non-nuclear subs in the world. A close friend is in RAN and tells me everytime there is an exercise between Aussie ships and subs, ships get a flogging

I wonder what they are replacing the Sea Kings with?? Not Super sprites I hope
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
What I'm saying is, the F-35 was developed as a result of the "Joint Strike Fighter" programme for the US military's next multi-role fighter. It has since proven to be a bit of a dud and it's maintenance costs are so much higher now than previously stated. This has forced a number of buyers to reconsider their commitment to the fleet acquisition.

Why then, did they not consider Russian fighters? Or the Eurofighter Typhoon?

You don't seem to get it.

We have no chance whatsoever against a major force without our allies. USA is our number one ally so we use stuff that is compatible with them.
In the same way that before WW2 were used pommy stuff.

Buying russian equipment is just silly as they are not our traditional ally and if the fighters were actually NEEDED there is a pretty good chance we would not be able to get parts or technology.
After the excellent record the dugongs have set I would not be keen to rely on any european equipment at all.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised there's M113's on that list. I thought they were all converted to AS4's and there's no way they're going to sell those.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
Surprised there's M113's on that list. I thought they were all converted to AS4's and there's no way they're going to sell those.
They didn't convert all of them. IIRC they have already sold some off to Pakistan.