Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dyno Results

Hi Guys.

Today the FPV & XR owners club had a dyno day. So I figured rather than take the falcon, I'd give the SR a go. First cab off the rank, ran a final figure of 75.3. I was fairly happy with the figure. AFR's were all over the shop. Car has 43,000 on the clock and is a 5 speed manual. 1.8 completely factory. No mods.

I was curious as to whether any other owners have done dyno days and what were there figures. Stock if possible. I am mainly wondering whether 75.3 is about normal.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

That's pretty good going with 85K as stock.
My focus 04 auto made 73Kw and I had a air pod.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know its hard to compare cars on different dyno's. So our figures should be fairly close because we are in Canberra with lots of nice cold fresh air now, that maybe my numbers will be just a little higher. Still though, when I saw the figures, it has a nice delievery of power and looks good on the dyno. Was happy with the results.
Old 28-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
FRA
Mr Focus

What fuel were you using?
I was using that E10 at the time.
I won't be going to the AFF dyno day.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Funky
Starter Motor

I ran a 141 in my XR5 later that same day, and my AFRs seemed pretty ordinary too - 14s up until peak power before dropping to 13s, and was running around 1 bar boost. Car is stock apart from centre muffler replaced with a hotdog resonator.

Had a mate in a chipped Mk5 Golf that only pulled 10KW more than me, he he he :
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
Seano
classicford.mine.nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky
I ran a 141 in my XR5 later that same day, and my AFRs seemed pretty ordinary too - 14s up until peak power before dropping to 13s, and was running around 1 bar boost. Car is stock apart from centre muffler replaced with a hotdog resonator.

Had a mate in a chipped Mk5 Golf that only pulled 10KW more than me, he he he :
Most newer cars do run very lean to reduce emissions. AFR of 14.0 - 13.0 is quite normal for the XR5. 141kW does seem quite high for a stock XR5 though.
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
That's pretty good going with 85K as stock.
My focus 04 auto made 73Kw and I had a air pod.
Last fill was Caltex 91. I suspect some of it is the fuel to do with the AFR's. Usually I run 95. Book says 91, but my service manager recommends at least 95.
Old 29-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Hey Bucknaked, As you may be aware I have a stock LR Auto and it has a slightly higher torque figure compared to the manual. The seat-of-the-pants feel about it you can't really notice the torque coming on until 4,000 rpm and beyond, what did the dyno figure tell you about when the torque "kicked in" and pardon my ignorance but what is an AFR?? Hope that makes sense.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My 2.0 litre LR Zetec showed 73.1 fwkw when first tested, with a 2.25" catback. So I'd be pretty bloody happy with your figure!!!!!! (With mods car is now at 86+ kw something)

I have often wondered whether the cams in mine were ever timed in properly, as the base figure has never been as high as others. Apparently there are big differences from the factory. I'll find out in the next 6 months or so when I fit new cams and cam gears.

AFR is Air/Fuel Ratio Eddie.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

So how close will you come to the ST170 steve?

cause i noticed the ST170 cannot do the Cams.. apparently too many probs...

all you can do NA wise to them in TB, full exhaust, ecu tune and CNC/port head

which isnt too bad.. thats like 210bhp

but then again.. the Powerworks pack you mentioned 270hp = FTW

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Hey Bucknaked, As you may be aware I have a stock LR Auto and it has a slightly higher torque figure compared to the manual. The seat-of-the-pants feel about it you can't really notice the torque coming on until 4,000 rpm and beyond, what did the dyno figure tell you about when the torque "kicked in" and pardon my ignorance but what is an AFR?? Hope that makes sense.

Hey Eddie.

Since I got the car, I've never taken it any higher than 3,500. So if the torque comes into it around 4,000, I've been missing out. I've always kept it around 3,000 or less for gear changes, but around 3,500 when trying to overtake. My mistake was reading the owners manual.

I don't have a scanner, otherwise I would post up pics of the sheet. When looking at it, really doesn't give me the RPM, but I think looking at it what could be 4,000 there is definatley a kick in power.
Old 29-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
Seano
classicford.mine.nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
pardon my ignorance but what is an AFR??
AFR refers to Air Fuel Ratio. Best explained HERE.
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
So how close will you come to the ST170 steve?
At the last AFF Dyno day, Stampy won in his ST170 at 89.7 fwkw. My Zetec is currently at 86.3fwkw. So I'm close, but not close enough! (And I notice Fordel in SA will be competing with his ST170 at the AFF Dyno Day on August 11)

My plan is to add a Ford Racing CNC'd head, and the Ford Racing Stage II cams and FR cam gears in the next 6 months or so (I already have the cams and cam gears in the garage). The ST170 is a good benchmark. Or maybe even 96kw at the wheels would be good (as opposed to 96kw at the fly.) Or it might be nice to crack the 100kw at the wheels.

Hopefully then I'll be happy and leave the engine alone!!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 30-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Of course you wont. you know you want to Get the SC kit after i pioneer it hahaha

Old 30-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Thanks guys. I'm much more wiser now!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Hey Eddie.

Since I got the car, I've never taken it any higher than 3,500. So if the torque comes into it around 4,000, I've been missing out. I've always kept it around 3,000 or less for gear changes, but around 3,500 when trying to overtake. My mistake was reading the owners manual.

I don't have a scanner, otherwise I would post up pics of the sheet. When looking at it, really doesn't give me the RPM, but I think looking at it what could be 4,000 there is definatley a kick in power.
What it doesn't idle at 3,000rpm?
Old 30-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

BTW I posted 76.7kw many years ago in my beast running on 95RON and semi-synth oil.
Old 31-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #18
BlackLS

Wow, I don't think my car sees anything less than 3000rpm... :S
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

ST170 only getting 89kw atw??? sure it wasnt a Zetec 2.0ltr?

Seems extremely low for a car which has 120 odd kw at the flywheel.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx

That's the ST170... underwhelming. I dragged a mate in his ST170 and what they gain in engine power, they lose in needing to change one extra gear... not a lot faster, not 30% faster anyway.
Old 31-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #21
melbzetec

Quote:

ST 170: 126 - 89 = 37. Divided by 126 = 29% powertrain loss
Zetec: 96kw - 75.3 (bucknaked fwkw) = 20.7. Divided by 96 = 21.5% powertrain loss

Go figure

Engine kw.................all talk
FWKW......................real deal

Old 31-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #22
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

GTI has 110 kw standard at the fly. and mine got 94kw atw on a dyno when it was stock.

Not too bad a power loss.

Id be interested to put it on a dyno now ive done a couple things
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 31-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #23
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
ST 170: 126 - 89 = 37. Divided by 126 = 29% powertrain loss
Zetec: 96kw - 75.3 (bucknaked fwkw) = 20.7. Divided by 96 = 21.5% powertrain loss

Go figure

Engine kw.................all talk
FWKW......................real deal
Dynos are good for ball park figures, looking at power curves or comparitive testing (ie 2 cars dynoed on the same day on the same dyno, or testing for mods before and after inst)

1/4 mile figure FTW! A time slip will tell you more about the cars straight line performance than any other measurement.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
GTI has 110 kw standard at the fly. and mine got 94kw atw on a dyno when it was stock.

Not too bad a power loss.

Id be interested to put it on a dyno now ive done a couple things
Can it chop skylines, CCx's, Toyota Aurions, 350RWKW commodore and a twin turo supra. ZOMG lolz... highly unlikely.. neither can a ST170 or Zetec but thats not the point...

sorry just had to

umm...

Is there any particular reason why the ST170 looses 29% of power via its powertrain, is it because of the Getrag gearbox or is it due to other components in the car...

i agree that the Dyno will only give you and indicator of what the car has.. but the Drag strip will tell you how the engine performs and if a particular mod helps power.

so calculating from those figures of 29% powerloss, if the ST170 had say 270hp it would in fact have 191.7hp FLY thats a nice figure

Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #25
melbzetec

Quote:
Is there any particular reason why the ST170 looses 29% of power via its powertrain, is it because of the Getrag gearbox or is it due to other components in the car...:
That's simply a calculation of what Stampy got at the AFF dyno day in 2005. Could be dyno calibration, heat, bad tune, wheel slippage, operator error,... a whole host of things. Don't read it as gospel

Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The only conastant is the ST170 is a very underwhelming car compared to the hints on paper - straight line I mean. Handling wise it's brilliant and when on the go, the enging and gearbox make perfect sense, just not a good 0-60km/h car at all.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #27
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
That's simply a calculation of what Stampy got at the AFF dyno day in 2005. Could be dyno calibration, heat, bad tune, wheel slippage, operator error,... a whole host of things. Don't read it as gospel
ive never read the bible nor the liturgy book so i wouldnt

Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #28
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Dyno Results

Quote:
Can it chop skylines, CCx's, Toyota Aurions, 350RWKW commodore and a twin turo supra. ZOMG lolz... highly unlikely.. neither can a ST170 or Zetec but thats not the point...

sorry just had to

Dont know where you get 350rwkw commodore from. There was no mention of this anywhere in the thread? Dont recall reading of supras or skylines either, Maybe i simply missed one of your posts? which would be most dissapointing for me, might skim through the thread and read about these cars.

But on this topic, i think 160kw and 330-350 nm in a 1190kg hatch back certainly surprises alot of people on the road in their modified cars. But we wont go into that on a public forum. :

Loads of fun :
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Dont know where you get 350rwkw commodore from. There was no mention of this anywhere in the thread? Dont recall reading of supras or skylines either, Maybe i simply missed one of your posts? which would be most dissapointing for me, might skim through the thread and read about these cars.

But on this topic, i think 160kw and 330-350 nm in a 1190kg hatch back certainly surprises alot of people on the road in their modified cars. But we wont go into that on a public forum. :
True 160kw and 330-350nm in a 1190kg hatchback would suprise alot of people in there modified cars.

like you said it would suprise alot of people BUT the focus doesnt have 160kw and 330-350nm and doesnt weigh 1190kg....it has 70-80 odd and i think that was the topic at hand?

And it really does stump me as to why FWD cars loose so much, when Rear wheel drive loose jsut a tad more!

And why dont car manufacturers actually say this is what the car has.

Old 13-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #30
Stampy
P.O.S all I can have

OK just to let you know , the ST170 is a very good motor and the reason the KW was low was that the car was not running to it's full , this car has a fuel rail for secondary fuel after about 5000 rpm it was broken , its best dyno was 97.8fwkw from memory still no excueses
Stampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post