Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2024, 12:30 PM   #421
HIPO
Al

Default Re: Radio control

Had a Punch 4 session with the Mojave & its pretty crazy.... was like a sped up video & looked fake

Looks like i got the diffs correct for what i wanted straight off.

Just getting the wheels up on launch, on rough bitumen, heaps of wheel spin, although no ballooning & very light, just on edge steering right up to 3/4 speed at full throttle.

Not in hurry to run Punch 5 as the forces on the drive train seem savage enough as is!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 09:08 AM   #422
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I got an in stock email about the cooling fan for me Mojave from Hobbies direct.
6 hours later i log on to buy, out of stock again.
Then i got email from local hobby shop about it being in stock, jumped on it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #423
HIPO
Al

Have ordered & am researching parts for the fat Chevy crawler....

Enjora beadlock, neg off-set, weighted wheels for better C of G & their Swamp Claw tyres, which get a good review.

Last edited by HIPO; 21-01-2024 at 12:45 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #424
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

First run on the track with the new shell, and of course i nose dive end over end and smash the grill.
No matter, pulled the one from my old shell and swap it over. One of the holes where it mounts through the shell is elongated but some gorilla tape on the inside of the shell it should hold.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-01-2024, 04:43 PM   #425
.:4:.
Kicking back

Cool Re: Radio control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
First run on the track with the new shell, and of course i nose dive end over end and smash the grill.
No matter, pulled the one from my old shell and swap it over. One of the holes where it mounts through the shell is elongated but some gorilla tape on the inside of the shell it should hold.
Eh, if an rc car stays completely mint, you aren't giving it enough.
That was the funny thing when my son wouldnt bring out his bigfoot. He much preffered beating on my cars as i didn't care about wear and tear or breakage, provided it wasnt intentional damage. So i bought him a new body for his car as a spare. He did then bring out his bigfoot with the old 'beaten up' body on it. Nothing more then a few scrapes on the faux chrome bumpers and sports bra. Yeah, i didnt care about the $150 i spent on the new shell, but i did spend an extra $30 odd on the chrome kit for his shell. That is the only thing i like about traxxas stuff. You can buy every widget and parts are easy to get.
The only difficult part i have had to get is the extended battery hold down for my traxxas maxx, to accommodate the 6s battery. Yeah, i could have just done the velcro tie down job and it would have worked and been cheap and quick, but i bought one from germania just to keep the thing with majority factory upgrades. Bar the stuff where the factory upgrade stuff is crap. As in standard servo adapter. The factory upgrade one is plastic so i have a rpm ally one in it.The bell crank and servo saver and associated steering bits are gmp ally, ones. Steering servo is a power hd 23kg, wheels and tyres are louise beadlocks and belted tyres. Motor is a hobbywing 2200kv, and the rest is all traxxas cattle dog upgrades.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 04:44 PM   #426
HIPO
Al

The highs & the heart breaks! lol.... yeah my Chevs body is gonna get messed up!
Old 21-01-2024, 05:00 PM   #427
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
The highs & the heart breaks! lol.... yeah my Chevs body is gonna get messed up!
Is the scx10 single speed?
Old 21-01-2024, 05:18 PM   #428
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Few pics of me older cars, still got the Ken Block fiesta.
HPI Super 5SC Flux, note p plate

Traxxas Slash and HPI WR8 Flux
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 06:08 PM   #429
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Is the scx10 single speed?
Yes mate!
Old 21-01-2024, 06:10 PM   #430
HIPO
Al

DJM83, They look good, the rally Fiesta would be fun.
Old 21-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #431
Kicking back

Quote:
Yes mate!
So you shouldnt be too concerned about more then scratches on the body. Crawlers arent about breaking speed records. Anyhows, do you live close to the bush?
Old 21-01-2024, 08:39 PM   #432
HIPO
Al

Quote:
So you shouldnt be too concerned about more then scratches on the body. Crawlers arent about breaking speed records. Anyhows, do you live close to the bush?
Yeah slow as, but will be scratched up. Was feeling like your son & considering a smaller lighter body & saving the pretty one for show.
But havent seen this body style modded, so will run it, chuck the bumpers for something less likely to get hung up. Am prepared to chop & change.

Yes am on small acreage & have a compact tractor.... gonna do a large track on a 1/2 acre paddock for the Mojave & something small for testing the Chevy.
Guess i'll be digging up some of the broken concrete & rocks i buried a couple of yrs back.
Old 21-01-2024, 09:10 PM   #433
Kicking back

Quote:
Yeah slow as, but will be scratched up. Was feeling like your son & considering a smaller lighter body & saving the pretty one for show.
But havent seen this body style modded, so will run it, chuck the bumpers for something less likely to get hung up. Am prepared to chop & change.

Yes am on small acreage & have a compact tractor.... gonna do a large track on a 1/2 acre paddock for the Mojave & something small for testing the Chevy.
Guess i'll be digging up some of the broken concrete & rocks i buried a couple of yrs back.
Only asking as my cousin prolly 15 years ago had a what was then known as a rock bouncer. So just a frame so to speak, a 51 turn brushed motor, short gearing and the suspension had all the articulation. So flat stick it did all of walking pace but could climb over almost anything. He lived in the blue mountains so bush terrain was all about. He wasnt into the 2 main hobbies of people in the blue mountains at the time. 1st being that game of rolling a hula hoop with a stick, second being punching heaps of cones.
Old 23-01-2024, 06:51 AM   #434
HIPO
Al

BTW, enjoy your action shots DJM83.
Old 23-01-2024, 07:54 AM   #435
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
BTW, enjoy your action shots DJM83.
Ive got many dont worry
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2024, 09:25 PM   #436
HIPO
Al

The fat Chevy arrived Monday & i've managed to get in a couple of test sessions.

Today it lost its bumpers, big rear vision mirrors & tail light pods.

Lowered the body as far as practical (15mm) & then undercut the body shell all the way around the same amount, + an extra 5mm at the top of the arches.

Have left the bumper mounts for a little protection, but tucked them 5mm for more approach-exit clearance.

Dropped nearly 100gms.

For a brushed powered set-up its quite smooth & able to creep along as slow as possible when teetering on the balance point.

Tomorrow will dump the stupid light 30 weight shock oil, for 45 front, 55 rear. Keen to see how that goes!
Old 27-01-2024, 02:09 PM   #437
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Spend the extra on the white one with the proper display. Do it once, do it right.
Ordered the Deluxe Voodoo box, with all leads... $39 delivered.
Old 27-01-2024, 02:14 PM   #438
HIPO
Al

Shock oils made the difference on the Chev.... springs aren't over powering now & movement side to side has lost the horrible boingy motion...
Old 27-01-2024, 02:27 PM   #439
Kicking back

Quote:
Ordered the Deluxe Voodoo box, with all leads... $39 delivered.
The adjustablity of the hobbywing esc's is why i like them. However, the only reason i stick with the traxxas vxl 6 in my monster truck, even though i have cooked a few, it the telemetry on those. I have the telemerty expander with gps and the bluetooth module in the radio. Only sensor i haven't wasted my time with is the battery temp sensor. So on the phone i have gps speed, rpm, pitch and roll, esc temp, motor temp, battery voltairs and LED control. So yeah, dont need any of that stuff really but that truck is very much the because i can sprt of thing.
Old 27-01-2024, 05:39 PM   #440
HIPO
Al

Thats some some cool feed-back it can give you!
Old 27-01-2024, 06:56 PM   #441
Kicking back

Quote:
Thats some some cool feed-back it can give you!
Please elaborate?
Old 27-01-2024, 10:34 PM   #442
HIPO
Al

Particular items of feed-back... "gps speed, rpm, pitch and roll, esc temp, motor temp" are great to have when making changes & monitoring their effects.
Old 28-01-2024, 11:54 PM   #443
Kicking back

Well, its just info really. The thing doesnt overheat or the like. The gyro stuff, yes there is an adjustment to make the thing self steer to apparently help when doing monster jumps or mad wheelies, but i find that to be a hinderance. The gyro info on the screen is captain obvious stuff. I have eyes, i dont need to have the thing tell me its on its lid.
So the traxxas stuff is good with the telemetry if you have all the telemetry bits in it. But. If you have the bluetooths in it, yes you get the steering end point adjustment, however throttle is only % go and % stop.
My sct has a max 10 and flysky radio. Radio does the steering stuff and % throttle and brake. The box of wizardry does the esc stuff. So your term punch, i call soft start. Thats the curve. I havent played with that on my current sct, its set to kill. But i did play alot with the soft start with the sc10 that was in my old 2wd stadium truck (the sc10 and 4000kv motor live on in my kids car). On the sc10 atleast, being in a 2wd stadium truck i had it set low. As in a 2 second ramp till full tilt to keep the front end down. But, and im not sure if this has been programmed out, the trick for max wheelies with the soft start soft was a quick on and off the trigger. Once the thing was moving, there was no soft start. Dunno if this is how the new ones work as mine is set on kill mode.
Old 31-01-2024, 08:31 AM   #444
HIPO
Al

This 1/5 scale,1 of 20 ,12s sounds pretty crazy!

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/kraken-1-...phy-truck-kit/
Old 01-02-2024, 11:35 AM   #445
HIPO
Al

Have chopped into the Chevy Basecamp some more... am building to Performance Scale Rules.
Have discarded the 2 factory battery mounting options ( rear or side) & have fabbed the stock battery tray to sit forward & slightly left..... at least 60/40, front -rear weight for best performance..... excuse shitty quality pics....

Have retained the bumper mounts, but rounded off the sharp edges & filled with an aluminum tube insert.
Would like some factory basic plastic rock sliders....

The Swamp Claw tyres are day & night compared to the stockies..... on my slippery ramp test, the stockies needed a run up & spun all the way, then slid back down out of control locked up.
New ones walk up at leisure & comes down walking with the drag brake function.
The weighted wheels & soft grippy tyres were also 100% better on my "pile of sleepers" testing.

Last edited by HIPO; 01-02-2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:08 AM   #446
HIPO
Al

Have some aluminum upper shock mounts coming, to enable better fore-aft angle..... $5.39 delivered ... was gonna make some, but at that price,why bother!

Cant beat Aliexpress prices, + what ever games Mrs Hipo has been playing, earns discount $'s there! Ebay & Amazon are dead to me!
Old 08-02-2024, 09:43 AM   #447
HIPO
Al

Side rock sliders & belly pans are available as separate pieces,4 pieces all up, in metal or plastic. Couldn't find any that tempted me, so have made a pair ,from 3mm nylon.
Slider belly pan in one, one each side.... Used a flat lid from an old school "storage " box that has a 12mm rib in it.... rib became the outer side slider. Better than a bought one!
Would be an easy piece with a 3d printer....

May do a front "stinger" next.... body overhang at the front prevents straight on climbing of tall vertical stuff. Stinger is angled to allow the car to slide up till the wheels can touch.
Probably do an aluminum one, as theres an old paint spray gun in the Bermuda Triangle shed that seems to have the shape i want.

Last edited by HIPO; 08-02-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:05 AM   #448
HIPO
Al

Have 2 truck loads of rubble coming on the weekend.... this & some soil will be the backbone of of my Rock Crawler mountain test facility , which will then be covered in broken concrete & various rock.

Also scored a couple of small metal stands with steps & safety rails about 1mt tall.
Will be perfect for the Mojave track, when i get a start on that.
Should cover a 1/4 acre or so & will be based on Malalla Raceway, except instead of a dogleg in the main straight, there will be a lower type high speed jump.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2024, 04:38 PM   #449
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Going to attempt to resurrect this thing as id like to have a good crack at some on road driving.
Started cleaning it today, still needs a little more.

Have ordered these wheels and tyres. OG Ken Block ones pretty hard to get

Whats even harder to get is any HPI 1/8 Fiesta Shell. I dont really want to fit anything else to it. Ive found a couple block shells and also a WRC shell (would prefer this as it'll match the wheels) but they arent cheap. If i knew now what i did when i bought it id have bought a couple more.
With the wheels ive ordered, this would be the shell id like.

Ideally id like to restore it to look like this when new, but it'll be near on impossible.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 24-02-2024, 04:55 PM   #450
HIPO
Al

Have destroyed the Chevys front axle housing & knuckle where it attaches to the portal ... probably upgrade to Meus Racing products.