Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #31
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: A novel climate control display fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yes pics please. Mine is still 85%
Here you go...

Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Well done Mif, that's a much neater result for sure but be aware that if you don't have enough pressure on the tape and especially if the glue is still in place, under high heat situations the screen will still likely fade out. I had it happen to one I clamped on a 45C day. With with my original prototype, the tape had been removed from the board and glue cleaned off before clamping down and it's never failed even after that last heat wave of 40+ for a week.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #33
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Well done Mif, that's a much neater result for sure but be aware that if you don't have enough pressure on the tape and especially if the glue is still in place, under high heat situations the screen will still likely fade out. I had it happen to one I clamped on a 45C day. With with my original prototype, the tape had been removed from the board and glue cleaned off before clamping down and it's never failed even after that last heat wave of 40+ for a week.

Cheers
Bushbasher
Hi basher,
One week down and still going (touches wood).

It didnt cost a cent to try this so i will see if the pvc extrusion and foam tape will provide enough pressure over time.

I didnt remove the ribbon at all so the factory goo would still be there.
If it fails i might look at something with higher clamping force too.

All the best dude.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #34
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I gave this a try over the weekend on a spare unit I have and it made a difference in elements showing solidly but half the elements were random not showing. :(

I got the clips from The Reject Shop for $2. Identical to the photos above.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #35
cairns27

I've put a plead in AU to BF, I trying to do this fix. I just can't see how it can come out.
cairns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #36
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

From memory I think you pop the plastic cover of the clock off and there is a screw, then you can pull out the whole thing and disconnect the cable.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #37
cairns27

Thanks, got it apart, yeap, all the little tabs broke and clock buttons fell out. Bough nalclips and the tool, and will have a go tomorrow. My tape doesn't appear to have lifted at all.

tar
bye
Old 06-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #38
cairns27

When I first read about this fix, I bought medium nalclips. Then I read it again, and saw I needed a tool for the clips. They come in small medium and large. I then bought large clips and the tool for them. I used chamie, they clips just don't open up enough. I had chopped the tool down. There's not enough tape to put the clips all the way on. so they just sit on the edge?. Too hard, I got the iron out, and all good (well lasted 10hrs so far).

When the tape fails again, I'll revisit the clips.

tar

bye
Old 06-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate I went in circles with this for ages then bit the bullet and paid for it to be repaired as I was going insane.

IIRC the repair bill was around $100. Have a search for my old T2 build thread and Im pretty sure its in there, or the Fairmont I had.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post