Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Clock Light Still Does Not Work

Hello Everyone

I have posted the first part of this question in another thread about 12 months ago and was not able to come up with a fix. So my apologies if you have read this question in another thread.

Well.... About 2 years ago I bought an AUII ute and the odo backing light(s) did not work. I tried some second hand genuine ones (they did work in the other car) and some after market ones. However I was never able to get the odo lights to work.

Now the clock backing light has also stopped working and I have changed the globes around and the light still does not work.

Is there anyway of testing the globes and or circuits of the odo and clock or have I simply missed something simple?

Thanks

Last edited by PG2; 04-01-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: error
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: Clock Light Still Does Not Work

You can test the bulbs with a multimeter to see if they have a circuit.

I changed many bulbs in the day, you have to insert and twist them IIRC.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Tested the bulbs today and they are OK.

Tried about half a dozen bulbs in the clock and cluster and turned them 180 degrees but still no luck.

All of the other interior lights work in the cluster and centre piece around the fan controls etc.

It has got me thinking - does the BEM control the LCD illumination on the clock and cluster? Could this be my problem?
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

test the circuit on the binicle where he globes twist in. No power there no lights. If power is there your globes are faulty or not installed correctly. Im betting the circuit has died.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
test the circuit on the binicle where he globes twist in. No power there no lights. If power is there your globes are faulty or not installed correctly. Im betting the circuit has died.

JP
After posting earlier I went out and tested the cluster. Yeah, doesn't appear to be any power coming from the cluster. When you say circuit do you mean the cluster circuit or the BEM circuit?
Old 10-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cluster circuit I presume. I don't know if the BEM or other computer controls the lighting.
You could test continuity through the cluster by attaching the tester to the globe circuit and the corresponding pin in the plug..Trial and error Im afraid to identify the pin unless you have a wiring diagram. If you have continuity the lighting is controlled elsewhere and not feeding the circuit. If no continuity is a dead circuit in the cluster/binacle.
Thats how Id test it.

JP
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

First thing - thank you for your help.

Second thing for new players - TURN THE IGNITION ON!!!!

I have worked on it all day and running around town looking for globes when I had had enough of it. I fired the car up to put it in the shed and wouldn't you know it - the cluster LCD it up!

Not completely my fault - the initial lot of globes I had bought 12 months ago were blown when I got them. So when I put them in they did not work even when I had the car going.

However, I still can not get the clock to work. That's for tomorrow.

Once again, thank you and sorry for wasting your time.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey at least you worked it out. Imagine paying someone to tell you to turn the ignition on.
Well done..
JP
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

With the clock light, I find the aftermarket bulbs are a fraction of a millimetre too thin to make proper contact with the metal tabs on the circuit board of the clock.

If you have power and grounds at the clock connector, just cut some aluminium foil up and put it on the metal tabs of the clock light fitting. Then just screw the bulb in and the foil should take up the space.
If you are having trouble getting the foil to stay put, coat them with a bit of dielectric grease.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #10
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
With the clock light, I find the aftermarket bulbs are a fraction of a millimetre too thin to make proper contact with the metal tabs on the circuit board of the clock.

If you have power and grounds at the clock connector, just cut some aluminium foil up and put it on the metal tabs of the clock light fitting. Then just screw the bulb in and the foil should take up the space.
If you are having trouble getting the foil to stay put, coat them with a bit of dielectric grease.
When I went to start the car the odo lights did not work again. I ended up prising the tabs of the bulb holder up and putting some alfoil under the tabs. This appears to be working so far.

The clock now also works using the same method.

Thanks for the help.