Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #91
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You have to use a funnel to fill them?

Whats the story here!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #92
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hah good timing td, yep more pics would be great. I think the funnel must be for diesel pumps that are too large to fit in the fuel filler. That is my assumption anyway. I had no problems however yesterday.
Old 18-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #93
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Here's some quick garaged pics I just took, I might be able to get some nice outdoor shots tomorrow if you guys want

Loving this car already!

Turbodiesel,

Firstly, Congrats on the car !!!

Have you got the Zetec body kit on that?

Also, I thought the side door protector strips were removed on the new model. Are yours stnd, or optional or ???
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #94
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
Turbodiesel,

Firstly, Congrats on the car !!!

Have you got the Zetec body kit on that?

Also, I thought the side door protector strips were removed on the new model. Are yours stnd, or optional or ???
Thanks mate!

That is indeed a Zetec bodykit, I'm going to take some better pics tomorrow if the weather is better. I also had the spoiler painted if you didn't notice

Yes the side strips were removed on the new model but I had them specially fitted, I hate not having any door protection at all.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #95
Turbodiesel
Torquer

More pics:
Old 21-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #96
nelpd96

Hey guys,
I have got the old TDCi on the short list of cars to get for the missus when I get back from OS. My question is, what sort of money are you guys paying for these things, if you don't mind me asking. I was also wondering what the waiting time on something like this is given that they are being imported?

Cheers
Paul
Old 21-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #97
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TD looks sensational mate, love that body kit really finishes it off nicely. Nelpd96, they are about 30 thousand (ish) on road depending on options, there are a few in aus at the moment so there was no wait.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #98
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
TD looks sensational mate, love that body kit really finishes it off nicely. Nelpd96, they are about 30 thousand (ish) on road depending on options, there are a few in aus at the moment so there was no wait.
Thanks davo! The car is brilliant, I'm really happy with it. Filling up with diesel is quite a different experience than petrol though :P

nelpd96, yes they are around the $30 mark. The safety pack is half price ($650) until September 30 so it is a good time to buy. There should be a few in stock if you search around
Old 22-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #99
nelpd96

Guys,
Yep I was looking on the net and saw that it was $27,990 plus on road costs which would be a little bit. I am overseas until October so unfortunately I won't be getting in while the option packs are half price. Being in Townsville certainly won't help either, best I can hope is that they have a demo up there that they are looking to get rid of for a couple of grand cheaper. Just out of curiousity, what was the zetec kit worth fitted? I am also thinking that an upgrade to 17's and slightly lower would really set it off as well. I am thinking that either Titanium or the Silver with dark tint will look good.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by nelpd96; 22-08-2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: I can't spell
nelpd96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #100
gkoshu
Starter Motor

Smile bodykit?accessories?

Quote:
I already have one waiting for me, just want to get some things added before I pick it up. So maybe a week or so, can't wait.

I was told that I might have to get an aftermarket "Talon" bodykit or something if they don't have a genuine Ford one. A nicer spoiler would be nice too, anyone have any experience in this area?

I'm just gonna stick with the standard wheels until I need new tyres, they look alright for now.

Hi there: just wondering what bodykit and other accessories have you added on to ur new car and how much are they? Is the bodykit same as the one from Zetec?

I love the new look of the Zetec seedan, very aggressive and best looking Focus ever.

Cheers :
gkoshu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #101
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoshu
Hi there: just wondering what bodykit and other accessories have you added on to ur new car and how much are they? Is the bodykit same as the one from Zetec?

I love the new look of the Zetec seedan, very aggressive and best looking Focus ever.

Cheers :
Here is a rough breakdown of the stuff I added, don't quote me on the prices though:

Zetec bodykit - $1300 fitted

Side protection mouldings - $500

Painted spoiler - $250

Bonnet protector and mats were included with my deal.

I'm also going to get some scuff plates and fit them myself along with some tint.

I agree 17s woulds be nice but I'm going to use my current tyres first and then see what's out there.
Old 22-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #102
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
You have to use a funnel to fill them?

Whats the story here!!
It has a standard sized diesel filler neck that fits modern diesel pumps, but some petrol stations only have the large truck sized bowsers with the high flow pumps. Ford include a plastic funnel in an airtight zip-lock bag that you insert into the fuel filler and then can fit the truck-style bigger fuel filler into in the event that the service station only has big pumps. It's a great idea and currently the only diesel that offers a solution to this problem, no other diesel passenger vehicles have such an adaptor nor do they have a big-filler so VW Golf diesel owners would have to just hunt for a small diesel pump AFAIK.

Regarding the sports gearknob, think I may be able to solve your problem. That diesel knob including the reverse-lock-out look identical to the old LR Focus Zetec knob. There was an awesome leather and alloy gearknob that suited them that should fit and is priced around the $80 mark give or take. Only disclaimer is that the LR has a 5-speed manual, so the pattern would be wrong on the 6-speed manual LS Focus TDCi. Try European Parts for a sports knob is my other recommendation if you can't live with the wrong pattern on the knob.
Old 22-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #103
photn
AFF Post NAZI

that just means that when you got someone in the car you have a SECRET gear lolz.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #104
BlackLS

Imagine having a passenger with you in 5th gear, watching you slide it where he thinks Reverse is, at 100kmh.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #105
Mansal

Quote:
Here is a rough breakdown of the stuff I added, don't quote me on the prices though:

Zetec bodykit - $1300 fitted

Side protection mouldings - $500

Painted spoiler - $250

Bonnet protector and mats were included with my deal.

I'm also going to get some scuff plates and fit them myself along with some tint.

I agree 17s woulds be nice but I'm going to use my current tyres first and then see what's out there.
Hey TurboDiesel - nice ride - the body kit was well worth the wait - I want one too now!
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #106
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
Hey TurboDiesel - nice ride - the body kit was well worth the wait - I want one too now!
Thanks mate, yes it was definitely worth it!

Well after 1.5 weeks of ownership, I am nothing but pleased with the TDCi. It excels at highway cruising, smooth and swift. Fuel economy is great as well, on my daily commute I'm getting around 5.2 litres per 100km

I fitted the scuff plates the other day too, was a very tedious task hehe.

How are my other fellow dieselers going?
Old 28-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #107
Mansal

Quote:
Thanks mate, yes it was definitely worth it!

Well after 1.5 weeks of ownership, I am nothing but pleased with the TDCi. It excels at highway cruising, smooth and swift. Fuel economy is great as well, on my daily commute I'm getting around 5.2 litres per 100km

I fitted the scuff plates the other day too, was a very tedious task hehe.

How are my other fellow dieselers going?
I'm getting around 5.5l/100km @ 110km/hr on the Western. I have squeezed out a range of 760km (with 70km remaining) before I refilled my tank for the 3rd time on Sunday.

I've done ~1800km on the car so far - the engine has noticably gotten more efficient already now that it's passed its 1500 burn-in.

So from that aspect it all seems ok thus far (she desparately needs a wash! )

The one critique I have so far is that I've noticed wind noise coming from the driver's side, almost like as if a seal isn't completely up to scratch - will bring it up at the 3000km service, which should be 2-3 weeks from now!

And I was finally able to make out the sound of the turbo - roadnoise at @110km/h tends to mask it out.

Ohh and the driver's seat has now started to soften a little - much more comfortable now ;)
Old 28-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #108
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just over 1200 for me and the car is really starting to loosen up which is great, my fuel economy is no where near as good as you guys but my drive is much slower and is in peak hour traffic, however when on the open highway it does improve. I am sitting just a tad over 7.5 litres per 100.

I washed and polished mine over the weekend and it looked great, no real major issues to bring up at the service only really minor things, one of the scuff plates is coming up a bit and there is a slight grinding noise when slowing down in third gear and reversing. Might just need something greased up or tightened who knows. I am also missing the fuel funnell, not that I have needed it yet.

Your right the drivers seat is getting much softer , it was like sitting on a park bench to start with. Lack of lumbre support is still a sore point but I will get over that. I already have the mod bug and am looking at the chips they are offering os to increase the power, not to keen on being the first one to take the plunge though. I wonder if any of the local guys are offering anything yet, if they aren't I am sure it wont be to far off.
Old 29-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #109
Mansal

Quote:
...I already have the mod bug and am looking at the chips they are offering os to increase the power, not to keen on being the first one to take the plunge though...
OOOer power mods time already!

I actually came across some website (european) that offers plug-in mods to boost performance (2.0 Durotorq engine). If I find the website again I'll fwd.

...in the meantime let's both ponder on how good our Saphire TDCi's would look with TurboDiesel's body kit

PS: My odometer actually reads 2017km (not 1700). ~2 weeks away from the first service - stay tuned!
Old 29-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #110
nelpd96

Guys if you want to get info on the power ups I was looking on the net and found the FFOC http://www.ffoc.co.uk/ if you want to post of have to pay money but you can read for free. Some good info in there but they don't seem to be getting the same results from the Focus as they are from the Golf. I will probably go down this path as well but probably get a custom tune to make sure that I am getting the most out of it.

Cheers
Paul
Old 29-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #111
Turbodiesel
Torquer

My odometer is reading around 1800 as well, still feels tight to me though. I reckon it'll take a while to run in. Put 36 litres in the tank the other day, after 700km of commuting

The first service is just a "Peace of mind" thing, I think they just check to see if everything is alright and that's it.

I also forgot to mention that I got paint protection as well, I was a bit skeptical at first but when I wash the bugs off the front of the car they just slide right off which is good.

If you guys want any more pics of the bodykit let me know, it does a good job of hiding that big ugly exhaust pipe
Old 29-08-2007, 11:19 PM   #112
Mansal

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that I got paint protection as well, I was a bit skeptical at first but when I wash the bugs off the front of the car they just slide right off which is good.
What kind of protection did you get - I got the "Elements" glazing (+tint+interior) treatment done on mine - HEAPS better than the crappy Teflon coating stuff I got done on my BA 3 years ago.

..still have to wash mine - has plenty of bugs on it at the moment :p

Today's Odometer: 2378
Old 29-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #113
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansal
What kind of protection did you get - I got the "Elements" glazing (+tint+interior) treatment done on mine - HEAPS better than the crappy Teflon coating stuff I got done on my BA 3 years ago.

..still have to wash mine - has plenty of bugs on it at the moment :p

Today's Odometer: 2378
The brand of mine is "Sentry", I got a nice bag of washing goodies with it too.

I just received some touch up paint today (stone chips already!) and I want to get some tint soon. How dark do you reckon I should go?
Old 30-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #114
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

bit off topic but just thought i'd say hi to the diesel fans. Used to have a Peugeot 97' 306 XTDT turbo diesel, one of the first ones brought out here.
man do i miss that car, so much torque, and great once the turbo kicked in. :
cheers.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #115
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Any news guys? Mansal have you been for your first service yet?

I'm booked in for Saturday, got a couple of issues to get sorted out. Nothing serious though.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #116
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey TD, Mine has just ticked over 2000 will not be ready for a service for a few weeks. What issues did you have? Car is still going well, i am on my 4th tank of fuel now.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #117
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Hey TD, Mine has just ticked over 2000 will not be ready for a service for a few weeks. What issues did you have? Car is still going well, i am on my 4th tank of fuel now.
Mine is a little over 3000km at the moment, still getting great 5.0L/100km economy.

The door pillar trims between the left front and rear doors are out of alignment and I'm getting a lot of wind noise from the rear right door so I think it may need a new seal. Everything is great mechanically though, so they're only minor annoyances.

I've also found that the fuel gauge is very pessimistic, it goes down very fast although there is still heaps of fuel left. I've also tested the accuracy of the trip computer and it is surprisingly accurate, so you can trust it
Old 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #118
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, I have not noticed anything like that although where the bottom right part of the dash meets the centre console piece there is a bigger gap on the right hand side than the left. South African built car I expected it. I have the same problem with the fuel gauge, sounds like a common one
Old 16-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #119
Mansal

Quote:
Any news guys? Mansal have you been for your first service yet?

I'm booked in for Saturday, got a couple of issues to get sorted out. Nothing serious though.
Hey there, sorry for the lack of contact.

I sent mine in for its 3000km service last Wednesday (having done 4200kms). All is reportedly well. I reported two minor issues:

1) The plastic panel surrounding the driver's seat was loose at the front - the dealer will replace this under warranty when I bring the car in next fortnight (not for a fortnight as I'm in the US ATM).

2) The driver's door leaked a _very_ minor amount of water from above the window when I took it through the carwash (this happened after the first week). This was the first & last time it happened. Presumably the rubber strip has had the opportunity to soften and 'shape' under the environmental conditions.

Am thinking about purchasing the weathershields - are they worth it, and do the ones for the Focus come with front AND back shields, or is it just the front (Ford sells them separately for L and R, but unsure whether that's both front and back or not).

Oh. and yes, I have found one chip too... on the boot about 3 inches above the bonnet protector! :

...and my economy has steadied at around ~6l/100km (110kmh road, fairly hilly, not too bad).
Old 16-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #120
Mansal

Quote:
Mine is a little over 3000km at the moment, still getting great 5.0L/100km economy.

The door pillar trims between the left front and rear doors are out of alignment and I'm getting a lot of wind noise from the rear right door so I think it may need a new seal. Everything is great mechanically though, so they're only minor annoyances.

I've also found that the fuel gauge is very pessimistic, it goes down very fast although there is still heaps of fuel left. I've also tested the accuracy of the trip computer and it is surprisingly accurate, so you can trust it
I've noticed both of these symptoms as well (fuel gauge reports near-zero with 110km range left + road noise).

In my case I'm yet to work up the courage to drop the reported range below 40km, mainly becuase I don't know which instrument to trust!