Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #271
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Re: New Focus ST Info thread.

Went and had a sit in the white ST at Coffey Ford. I love the interior, the seats may take some getting used to. Shoulder wise its great its the side bolsters which are a tad small for someone that's 6.1 and a touch under 100kg.

Loving the ST in the NFS ad!
Old 27-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #272
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop
Went and had a sit in the white ST at Coffey Ford. I love the interior, the seats may take some getting used to. Shoulder wise its great its the side bolsters which are a tad small for someone that's 6.1 and a touch under 100kg.

Loving the ST in the NFS ad!
186cm and 85kg here, 20in shoulders. Sounds like it should be alright then, I can comfortably sit in my partners '12 fiesta, so should be alright.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #273
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I think the bolsters will wear a little anyway after awhile and have a bit of give in them. Other than that the driving position felt really good, I always struggled with a FG manual as left leg always had to be really bow legged or it got caught under the steering wheel. This has plenty of room.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #274
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a spin yesterday too, whilst a 15 minute drive doesnt tell you everything I finished with a smile. The purchase sight unseen was a good move. Loved the seats too, if I had to find something to say I would say the centre console lid is a little too high. I felt like I had to lift my elbow for a gearshift.
pajoda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #275
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
186cm and 85kg here, 20in shoulders. Sounds like it should be alright then, I can comfortably sit in my partners '12 fiesta, so should be alright.
Difficult to say, eveyones body shape is different, for what its worth 175cm and 73 kg and they were perfect for me.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #276
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda
Difficult to say, eveyones body shape is different, for what its worth 175cm and 73 kg and they were perfect for me.
Yeah similar size to me and I got in no worries.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #277
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Ford's website (au) doesn't seem to list a kerb weight spec on the ST ?
However, a google search gave 3223lbs, or 1462kg...... Is this correct ?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #278
Nichol

From the Sydney Motor Show..

Old 28-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #279
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Ford's website (au) doesn't seem to list a kerb weight spec on the ST ?
However, a google search gave 3223lbs, or 1462kg...... Is this correct ?
Weights

Curb weight (without a driver):

1462 kg / 3223 lbs

Top speed:

247 km/h / 154 mph

(theor. without speed governor)

Acceleration:

0-100 km/h (s):

0-160 km/h (s):

Drag times:

0- 1/4mile (s):

0- 1km (s):

Old 28-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #280
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol
From the Sydney Motor Show.
Those pics are absolutely fantastic.

So glad to have chosen Tangerine Scream for mine!
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #281
BaraFGXR6

Went and checked out this baby at the motorshow today!

Didnt like the colour much in direct sunlight, but god damn was it a comfy sit. Im 98kg @ 180cm tall and very broad across the chest/shoulders and those seats were a perfect fit! Maybe because they already been worn in from all the constant people swarming all over it!

Cant wait for a test drive to seal the deal! It definitely feels bigger than an LV for some reason?!?!

Only grip was the dash was very busy but im sure that can be overcome with some muscle memory
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #282
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't appear to be quite as orange or as overt bodykit-wise as the LS-LV equivalent, but I get the feeling it's in keeping with the rest of the range: a slightly more "grown-up" car than the previous generation.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #283
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaraFGXR6
Only grip was the dash was very busy but im sure that can be overcome with some muscle memory
Steering wheel controls should be able to handle most of it anyway.
Old 29-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #284
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

So what are ford like with their new car warranties, I'm guessing they void drive line warranties if you change intake/exhaust/tune? Or do they have to prove the modifications are what caused the problem?

In most cases you should be able to fit the stock gear back on for a serious issue I suppose... unless the ECU logs changes being made.
Old 29-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #285
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
So what are ford like with their new car warranties, I'm guessing they void drive line warranties if you change intake/exhaust/tune? Or do they have to prove the modifications are what caused the problem?

In most cases you should be able to fit the stock gear back on for a serious issue I suppose... unless the ECU logs changes being made.
I have only had one failure with my XR5, and that was the head unit.

Depends on the case really (Although Ford do say in the manual that you cannot mod and warranty will be voided or something along those lines), but im pretty sure as soon as its tuned there goes your warranty. I have only heard of one major failure (Again im talking XR5) in which an engine was replaced under warranty as a screw went into the fan then into the radiator and it cooked and it had been modded, ford claimed it was from the intake but it was proven wrong and a new engine was installed. AFAIK an ECU cannot be read at a dealer it has to be sent to Melb, and it would have to be a major failure for that to happen id say. Fitting the stock gear back probably wont do anything i dont think, because if its a serious failure an ECU flash will be found.
Also im friends with a few people in the Ford Service dept so that helps.

Thing is modding a car that is new to the market like the new ST, if it were me i wouldnt do a hell of a lot to. Maybe exhaust, cooler and intake as you just dunno what may happen being so new to the scene. I purchased my car in the last year they were made so all mods were proven and an issues ironed out as such.

Guess what you have to think of though when modding a new car
'You play, you pay'
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 29-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #286
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive driven the car, love it aside from the seats. If it wasn't for the seats I would be ordering one to replace my GT but I just cannot handle them, they are too uncomfortable for me. Rest of the car is amazing. Anyone who gets one and can sit in it comfortably is lucky!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #287
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thats a shame Brent, i sat in one aswell and agree 100% its bloody nice inside, makes my XR5 low rent, but it will never ever ever sound as good . Will be a little while before i move my XR5 though i think, unless i get a good deal.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 29-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #288
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Thats a shame Brent, i sat in one aswell and agree 100% its bloody nice inside, makes my XR5 low rent, but it will never ever ever sound as good . Will be a little while before i move my XR5 though i think, unless i get a good deal.
Have you had a chance to drive one?

The sound isn't too bad, but then again compared to what you have done with yours you will not be happy.

They are a bit on the exxy side, I cant imagine the pricing coming down for atleast 6 months till supply covers demand atleast.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #289
BaraFGXR6

Unhappy Re: New Focus ST Info thread.

Quote:
What is it like to drive?

All of that extra oomph is apparent right off the bat. But unlike a car such as the Volkswagen Golf R--which, despite its slightly lower output is a faster car--the power delivery feels linear and smooth, not peaky, which gives the car a bit of a flying-under-the-radar feel. There's plenty of torque to pull you out of corners and up steep mountain passes without pause, and to propel you headlong down the freeway at up to triple-digit speeds in a blink, but there's never a whoosh! moment where you feel the turbo kick in.

Taken from: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz2Ag1tQjmc

Exactly what i didnt want to hear ;(

If anything, the fun thing about these small little cars is feeling the turbo kick in. Is this something that an aftermarket tune would fix? I.e, dialing in more boost to get that floaty feeling. Linear power delivery = boring as bat ****. Regardless of how much quicker it may be.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #290
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ive driven the car, love it aside from the seats. If it wasn't for the seats I would be ordering one to replace my GT but I just cannot handle them, they are too uncomfortable for me. Rest of the car is amazing. Anyone who gets one and can sit in it comfortably is lucky!!
Quote:
Damn, thought the seats were out of this world myself, hugged the rib cage like good seats do, and allowed some shoulder freedom for the wheel. I have never owned or even driven an XR5 so can't comment on noise but these things are impressive from every aspect.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #291
dennyjohnston

My wife picks her Tangerine scream up this afternoon, I am 186cm and 110kg rugby player so if I fit the seats comfortably most people should lol. Will let you know how it drives tonight.
dennyjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #292
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Mine arrives on boat on the 8th of Nov, hopefully have it early the next week
Old 30-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #293
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What colour you gone for Redrum? They are an awesome car, you will be a happy man!
Old 30-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #294
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyjohnston
My wife picks her Tangerine scream up this afternoon, I am 186cm and 110kg rugby player so if I fit the seats comfortably most people should lol. Will let you know how it drives tonight.
195 / 120kg here... Its just not comfortable for my frame.

Still want one but I know after having a Super Pursuit with GTP seats it will all end in me getting rid of it very quickly.
Old 30-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #295
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
.....If it wasn't for the seats I would be ordering one to
replace my GT but I just cannot handle them, they are too uncomfortable
for me. Rest of the car is amazing. Anyone who gets one and can sit in it
comfortably is lucky!!
Although I haven't driven the ST, I did get a sit in one today at a north coast
dealership. I was having a very close look at the ST but unfortunately.....
I'm 180cm, 83kg and I'd have to say 'too tight and uncomfy' for me !
I love my roadtrips and I just couldn't see myself doing a 600km day in
those seats.

Maybe they would become more forgiving with some time and wear ?
Will be interesting to hear some more reports of how they might settle in.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #296
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Although I haven't driven the ST, I did get a sit in one today at a north coast
dealership. I was having a very close look at the ST but unfortunately.....
I'm 180cm, 83kg and I'd have to say 'too tight and uncomfy' for me !
I love my roadtrips and I just couldn't see myself doing a 600km day in
those seats.

Maybe they would become more forgiving with some time and wear ?
Will be interesting to hear some more reports of how they might settle in.
My dealer reckons every second person says the same thing... Its pretty bad when the seat turns you off buying a car!!

Anyways Ill have to stick to Falcadores instead!!
Old 30-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #297
ConradP

Strange, most reviewers that i've seen have said the seats in it are awesome, and some of them have been big guys.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #298
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Well we'll see after I test drive, my shoulders are slightly wider than the average anglo male so if I find it comfy most average sized dudes should too... although I ride a motard, so anything is comfy compared to that

Last edited by martinijosh; 30-10-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 30-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #299
dennyjohnston

Wife picked up her ST this afternoon, car looks awesome in Tangerine scream and drives even better! The ride is firm as you would expect from this type of car abd corners like its on rails. Turbo comes of strong and pulls like a train. The seats are a little tight for my large frame but you dont notice it when driving as you are enjoying the car too much to worry about the seats lol I think anyone with a stocky or large frame will complain about the seats, mainly the lower back area is tight but i found the shoulders to be ok. I dont think its enough to put a die hard buyer off, more like the 50/50 buyer that is looking to be swayed in favor of one car. Commodores sell 2 to 1 falcons and we all know they are **** boxes lol
dennyjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #300
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
What colour you gone for Redrum? They are an awesome car, you will be a happy man!
Tangerine Scream, love it. Had a look at a Black one today at Binks Ford, Deer Park. I do like the heavy metallic in the black, but one black car is enough work for me