Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Focus RS Will Outrun XR8 and Mustang..

"Ford's upcoming Focus RS hot hatch will outrun the company's most powerful V8 engines despite half the cylinder count.

Ford has announced performance times for the RS – confirming it will launch from nought to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds and onwards to a top speed of 266km/h.

The dash to triple figures is faster than those achieved by both the V8 Mustang and supercharged V8 Falcon XR8, which notch 100km/h in 4.8 seconds and about 5.0 seconds respectively. The real test for the all-wheel drive hot hatch will be its capacity to keep up with a V8 during in-car acceleration testing.

The RS is also marginally quicker than the similarly minded Audi S3, Subaru WRX STi and Volkswagen Golf R, and narrowly behind the much more expensive Mercedes-AMG A45 (4.2 seconds) and Audi RS3 (4.3 seconds).

Speaking of price, Ford Australia is yet to confirm a starting figure for the RS, which is due in Aussie showrooms next year. The overnight release of pricing for several other international markets suggests the RS will start from about $50,000 (plus on-road costs) locally. Ford Australia has confirmed it will release prices in the coming weeks.

Developed by a dedicated Ford Performance team including input from rally star Ken Block, the RS will feature all-wheel drive power with torque vectoring technology when it lands in showrooms. Power will come courtesy of a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine producing 257kW and 440Nm (up to 470Nm with a transient overboost function), shared with the EcoBoost Mustang but tailored specifically for the RS.

The engine will offer more power than the Mustang thanks to a new twin-scroll turbocharger, a larger intercooler, a less restrictive intake design and bi-modal exhaust system. The work has helped raise the 2.3-litre engine's maximum rev limit to 6800rpm.

As before, the Focus RS will continued to be offered solely with a six-speed manual transmission."
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...17-gjpbq5.html
Old 19-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Focus RS Will Outrun XR8 and Mustang..

As seen here too
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11441940

But yes, I have high hopes of this RS, just misses the awesome sound of the 5 cylinder.
Old 19-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Being manual I think that 0-100 time would be the best they ever got and difficult to get consistently,auto xr6 turbo would give it a good run,let alone an xr8
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

They must have the interns writing articles again. Firstly, an XR8/GT R-Spec (same car of course) will get to 100 in less than 5 seconds. Much less in some cases. Secondly, using a 0-100 time to determine which car will "outrun" the other is moronic. Using the manufacturer's claimed time for one car vs a time you've poorly extracted in the real world for the other is even more ridiculous.

Then there's the fact that you're comparing an AWD hatch to a RWD sedan. The 0-100 time can be very deceiving. Even if the XR8 does record a fractionally slower 0-100 time, it will still blow the doors off the Focus in an actual race. You may as well say a last gen WRX would outrun an XR8. You can launch those bastards into the 4.xx bracket but they'll still only pull a mid-13. Any AWD car will jump off the line, congrats, but "outrun" their more potent opponent they will generally not.

More accurate title would have been "AWD Focus RS to possibly outpace XR8, Mustang over first 20 meters".
Old 19-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see the focus joining the Aurion in the sub 5 second 0-100 club
Old 19-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still would be a fun car to drive, just the exhaust note wouldn't sound right. turn up the stereo!!!
Old 19-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Even if the XR8 does record a fractionally slower 0-100 time, it will still blow the doors off the Focus in an actual race.
Over the quarter or on a circuit? I don't think anyone would bet against the RS on a circuit.
Old 19-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Over the quarter or on a circuit? I don't think anyone would bet against the RS on a circuit.
Clearly my entire post was about straight lines, as the article claims the RS will outrun the XR8/Mustang in a straight line based on a 0-100 time.

But if we're talking circuits, I'd bet against the RS at a circuit like Phillip Island
5 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All wheel drive light car if launched in a way many owners wouldn't even consider might beat a huge rwd falcon too 100kmh isn't really news worthy if you ask me. But it seems whenever a hot hatch comes out we get these silly stories about them beating v8s in a straight line, is that what the buyers of these cars look for??

That aside I would love a drive of one, they look like a lot of fun
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
5 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ditch that ridiculous looking spoiler and I'd love one. It'll outpace the bigger cars from 0-60 at the traffic lights, and that's about all 90% of drivers will do.
Old 19-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Do the owners of hatchbacks really worry about the fact that it beat a xr8 0-100kmh by .1 second. Point one. It's been my experience the people who buy them do so because they want a small little putt around car not an AWD drifting/drag racing machine.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
Do the owners of hatchbacks really worry about the fact that it beat a xr8 0-100kmh by .1 second. Point one. It's been my experience the people who buy them do so because they want a small little putt around car not an AWD drifting/drag racing machine.
Horses for courses, a bit like an F-truck driver saying to a Falcon ute driver.."my f truck can pull 10 ton, how many can you tow?"
5 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Can't everyone just chill out and be happy that Ford are lobbing (hard) into another segment?

Some people need to accept that hot hatches have gone from funny little torque steering monsters to bonafide sports cars with practicality to boot.
Old 19-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
nstg8a

Some nervous falcon owners maybe...
8 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Like Dick Johnson recently, "it might go faster then a V8, it might do 1000 miles to the gallon......but it's not a V8!"

I agree that 4 cylinders can be faster then 8's and everything else (including better handling), but there is just something about those 8 cylinders that you just cant get from a four.
Old 19-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Its just some typical bs peddling,truth twisting journo dribble that's all...
Im not denying the focus is a great car for those who like them,its the incorrect and misleading title lol,thats all;)
Old 19-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I can only imagine the way that thing was driven to achieve a sub 5 sec time ...........5-6k side step launch followed by gear changes with the mechanical sympathy of a chimpanzee attacking a cupcake.........is this real world repeatable? Yes it is, as long as someone like Ken Block is driving the thing or until something ultimately breaks.

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Some nervous falcon owners maybe...
Nail, head, hit.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 19-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #19
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with most AWD turbo cars the lack of wheel spin on hard launches places the gearbox under extreme stress.
They hook up well until the gearbox claps out, typically somewhere between 10 and 20 hard launches before your forking out cash for a gearbox rebuild.
Old 19-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Easily resolved, this whole issue.....just have an XR8 and a RS in the garage

I would if I could justify it. Oh, and convince the missus that an RS will do her just fine instead of the insistence that she have an SUV coz she can't get in and out of a car like the RS

Craig H

Currently an FG X XR8 and Focus ST owner......

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #21
Dave R

I don't think any Falcon owners would be nervous about a hot Focus. Maybe WRX owners? Evo owners? But Falcon owners? Ha, no. The concept of a quick 4 cylinder is not new, Ford have not invented a new category. However, when articles like the one above make misleading claims about acceleration, they will be corrected. If a similar article claimed the XR8 was a dynamically superior drive, it too would be corrected.
Old 19-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #22
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is it misleading? The overwhelming majority of drivers don't do 400m drags, or get much over 110kph. In real world usage, the RS is probably going to eclipse the XR8. The days of needing a big motor to get decent acceleration are pretty much over.
Old 20-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #23
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
The days of needing a big motor to get decent acceleration are pretty much over.
Still trying to work out which is most enjoyable... 0-100 in 5 seconds with the voice of God bellowing out the exhaust, 0-100 in 5 seconds behind a Hoover vacuum cleaner (6cyl turbo), 0-100 in 4.5 in a 4cyl with a long fart emitting from the rear, or 0-100 in 3 seconds with no cylinders and no noise, in a Teslamobile...
7 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 02:12 AM   #24
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would take the one that does it in 4.5 seconds and can turn corners thanks.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 02:42 AM   #25
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Yeah- I could have bought an AMG C45 - thought about it. Does 0-100 in 4.5, 4wd and pretty tied down. Actually, handling is great, more like a go kart feel.

But I went FGX XR8-is a lot more ponderous in handling, and 0-100 probably 10 times out of 10 slower due to traction issues etc.

But the AMG C45 sounded terrible to me, tinny backfart rattling backfires that sounded artificial. And the engine felt like it had a narrow band, very different power to the Miami, just a different feel, and not that feral train pull you get in the Miami.

Drive the FGX at 110 kph odd and downshift to 3rd and then blast through gaps like a motorbike on a freeway-that's where you will really know the difference. I just did Newcastle -Sydney return Friday, and oh boy, blasting gaps like a motorbike using 3 lanes is where the FGX XR8 shines. And in this driving the handling is up to the task.

If you want 0-100 boyracer times and tight circuit lap hero-yeah go the 2 litre turbo 4wds. If you want real blistering pull between 100-200kph and that classic freeway GT vibe-go the v8 in FGX XR8.....different machines for different purposes...your poison

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 20-09-2015 at 02:49 AM.
7 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 03:30 AM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
How is it misleading? The overwhelming majority of drivers don't do 400m drags, or get much over 110kph. In real world usage, the RS is probably going to eclipse the XR8.
I've already explained why it's misleading. It's not difficult. First, comparing 0-100 times is generally for school kids arguing in the playground. When they eventually grow up and start actually buying quick cars, they begin to realise that 0-100 times tell you little about how quick a car actually is. And for the person who insists on comparing 0-100 times, make sure they're comparable. Not the manufacturer's claim (ie, the absolute best they could achieve in perfect conditions at a proving ground) vs an average run for another achieved in the real world, probably on some back road. Pretty basic stuff. But I guess they got their sensationalist headline, good for them.

And in the "real world" you'll have to launch the RS aggressively to see any advantage over an XR8, because we both know it's not winning a roll-on. I can't see law abiding people you've described doing that.
Old 20-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
So now the RS won't go around a corner lol.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 20-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #28
335JET
@jas_23_

will the Coyote 5.0L fit in the RS? then id buy one.
Old 20-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #29
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
So now the RS won't go around a corner lol.
I understood duaned was saying the 4.5 sec car (the RS) was the vehicle that could turn corners, as opposed to the vehicle that took 5 secs (with the voice of god).

To be honest this whole discussion is just a ****ing match. "Mine is better than yours coz....."

No one is going to "win" and no one is going to concede. I think we all just need to accept that they are different cars and deliver a different experience.

I enjoy both my XR8 and the ST, but for different reasons..........

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #30
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

For those defending the falcon like the RS is going to put an end to it,
I've got some bad news for you.........
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread