Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Motorola V3 - batteries?

Hi

Eamon and I each have one of those old Motorola V3s. 18 months old approx. Both of our batteries are dodgy. They loose charge very quickly after being fully charged... all the memory issues.

I was wondering if anyone else who has one of these phones has been able to find Lithium batteries for these phones, and if so, where do you get them? I want to get new batteries for the phones, but not the usual shyte ones (non Lithium).

I was sort of under the impression that these phones came with Lithium batteries initially, but it appears with these problems, it isnt. The back of it is a pain to get off, so Im not going to take it off to check unless I have to.

Has anyone had any trouble with these phones generally? Eamon's didnt like being dropped! Haha.

Thanks

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'm on my second Motorola V3, I like the look, feel & ease of use of them. Then again, I'm a motorola fanboy and pretty well refuse to use anything else (before my V3's I had an A925 and an A1000).

My first one was slightly dodgy, it used to have a broken seal somewhere and dust would gather between the LCD and the plastic outer on the main screen, became a REAL problem in sunlight you couldn't see the screen properly because of it, I would have to tap the phone against a hard surface a few times to actually get all the dust to settle on one side of the screen. This became an issue because I think all the tapping over time weakened the hinges and stuff, I dropped it open once and the thing broke in two.

So I'm on my second one now which I have had no issues with whatsoever. Battery life is still a good 3-4 days on it before needing a charge, and to top that off the one that I bought was part of a special promo that came with two batteries, so I have a brand new unopened battery around here for when this one starts dying.

To answer your question on the type of battery, it looks like all my stock batteries that came with my V3's are lithium ion. As to where to get new replacement ones, I have no idea sorry.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
XRchic
Hello

Hmmm maybe they are Lithium and are buggered....

I can get them from Motorola I guess, but that will cost...

Thanks for that

Old 29-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Well i know exactly how to 'fix' batteries without having to replace them. Some people may be like oh dont do that it may explode but i have done it about 10 times with various phones and mates phones and it has worked every time including on about 3 v3's and v3x's. Do this at your own risk (but usually there is no risk what-so-ever)

1st, run your battery dead, like flat dead
2nd, take the battery out of the phone (Yeah it is a pain isnt it =) ) put the battery in the freezer for about 15-20mins (and no the battery wont explode but if it does it isnt apart of the battery freezing its probally just your freezer)
3rd, take the battery out, wait for it to cool up back to room temp or thereabouts
4th, charge it completely until its 100% full and hey presto! your battery is better!

By doing this it resets the cells in the battery or something like that (my friend tought me this)

The battery will get worse as the time goes on again and you will have to keep doing this but yeah hope this works for ya!

Tip: Let the battery always run out then charge it not charging it when its half full. Its good for the battery and it will make it last longer in the long run, like if you get a new phone your suppost to leave it on the charger until its completely full.

Hope that helps!!

*Rossy*

Ps Tell us all the outcome of this so i people will use this more =)
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
cool65
carefactor zero

Had a couple of V3's, and the best item I bought was 2 x usb cables so everytime I sat down on the pc at work or home it was charging (1000 calls + outgoing per month) and never ran out of juice
Then I had to keep with the times and I now have a nokia N95 (love the 5mp camera)
and same thing with cables
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had 4 V3's. 2 snapped, 1 wouldnt turn on and 1 got stolen (as if steal a phone?).

while i had them i went through a total of 6 batteries between them all. this is all within 12 months mind you. they constantly froze. and it was always on charge
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
i had 4 V3's. 2 snapped, 1 wouldnt turn on and 1 got stolen (as if steal a phone?).

while i had them i went through a total of 6 batteries between them all. this is all within 12 months mind you. they constantly froze. and it was always on charge
Sounds familiar!

I might try the freezer thing! Nothing to lose!

Old 30-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
strike

You can get replacement batteries from ebay for about $10 including delivery and usually delivered within a week from hong kong, just do a search for V3. Got one for my daughters phone and hasnt had any prolems.
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike
You can get replacement batteries from ebay for about $10 including delivery and usually delivered within a week from hong kong, just do a search for V3. Got one for my daughters phone and hasnt had any prolems.
Cheers, thanks for that

Old 30-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Hi Jac

Just going through the same thing with my daughters phone ,(V3) , bought a new standard battery off "Long Bay" oop's eBay , 2 weeks ago , (Aussie supplier) , but it still only lasts about an hour .

Maybe a Phone problem rather than a Battery problem , seeing there's quite a few here with the same problem ?

Norm .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

V3's are shocking in general, everyone i know that had one, either the sound died, wouldnt send texts, got filthy under the screen (as has been said) and lasted not very long at all.
Having said that, I have heard great things about the latest one, so it will be a hard decision between that, and the iPhone when its out and my contracts up

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 AM   #12
RachsEa

I brought my V3 a week after they come out about 2 months after getting it my best freinds son though the sink was a bin I was doing the dishes for her and he put my phone in the bin (sink). And the phone was open so the bottom of the phone went in the water first, I managed to catch it and to this day it still works, all I had to do was buy a new battary.. So they are good for something... But I never left my phone sittin any were on the coffee table again.
RachsEa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike

On this advice be really careful. I bought one for my useless motorola V3 and it worked the first time no hassle, until it needed charging. Now the phone refuses to recognise the moronic thing and I blew the money for the battery and postage. They took forever to send the stupid thing too (ebay bargain is not always a bargain :( )
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If you guys need help for batteries just pm me.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

i had a v3x haha worst phone ive ever had.

aside from the retarded user interface (new nokias arnt much better), the thing would always freeze and turn off, and a blank white screen would come up. the flip cracked, the front screen cracked, i had to charge it everyday. yeah my phone was subject to a little more torture than most, but it was rooted.

got a nokia E65 the otherday and now that i know how to use it, its great.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #16
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

There's a place called Global Batteries that sells every sort of battery you can think of. I just checked their site and they have a replacement one for your motorola V3 it's a li-ion 3.70V, 710 MAh and is black in colour. They sell for $13.15 GST inc. and post usually costs $10.00.

If you're interested, you just need to set up an onlne account and away you go.

http://www.global-batteries.com.au/i...51a776cf4ef640
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
XRchic
Hello

Thanks for that, I might have a go! Looks like we might have phones in decent working order soon enough!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

hummm might explain why my BF phones goes flat so quick.30min on the thing and its dead.ill get him to have a look.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I used to sell the at telstra, so many come back with issues like batteries, buttons pushing themselves, slow loading software...ect. It's just a matter of getting a good one. The v6 maxx's are no better I went through 4 before I got a somewhat reliable one.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #20
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Like , I'm really "up-to-date" with mobiles . About 4-5 years ago a mate was renewing all his business phones (15 in all) and he gave me what our kids call " The Brick " , it's an old "Nokia N342" . (only No's I can find on it) . The only reason we have a Mob. is for the kids to SMS us if it's late or we're on the house phone/Net , yep still on D/Up . the last year to 18 mths the battery won't hold a charge , so we just left it plugged in ,

I went to "check it out" a couple of weeks ago and there was no signal but the battery was full . It's a Pre-Paid job and apparently if you don't have credit on it for a certain time , the Number get's "Written Off" . So we're tossing up at the moment wether to get another Phone or just another battery & SIMM card .

Decisions , Decisions , Decisions , :togo:

Norm

Edit : Just had a look on Long Bay , no listing for n342 batteries , Bugga

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

as henri said ... i also had the V3x along with my whole family ... they are the worst phone ever .. they shut down, close messages, make it so you cant contact one of you're contacts and have to re-add them ... they are just plain shyte!!!

go to 3 or anywhere like that ... and a new battery will cost you about $15!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #22
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Edit : Just had a look on Long Bay , no listing for n342 batteries , Bugga
try the musuem mate, i heard they just got a shipment of them in ... : :

nahh you're aiight, my parents are the same ... only update because i force them too, and by the time they've finally gotten used to the new phone, they have to upgrade again!!

ooh well

P.S. my dad answers his sms's by putting the phone to his ear to hear it : :togo:
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post