Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Default AU Auto and Hi Stall

In the search to get the fastest AU Auto wagon useless and I were doing some private testing today with useless new 2500rpm hi stall converter.

We can sort out who is faster with the slips at WSID in a few months but to see whether our mods are really an improvemnet or not we have regularly got together and swapped cars and lined the two wagons up for a bit of sport.

Anyway useless latest mod is a 2500rpm hi stall converter which stalls at 2500 and flashes to about 3000 compared to the stock 1800-2000rpm.

Having driven it I would say this is a great street mod as it really jumps off the line now compared to my car which ever since the cam seems to bog down then rev out nicely. Traction is just begining to be a problem and it is possible to overcook the launch now where on mine traction is never a problem unless being silly of course.

Lining our cars up side by side though there is a huge difference now with useless' wagon puling about a car and a half ahead of me in first gear till 60k when I start to hold the gap but not close it.

This is a great mod obviously getting the car into the powerband quicker and keeping it there. It's a big difference for a non power adding mod! Normal driving is fine too. No big difference drievn normally.

I would have to say if he can pull that distance in front of me then this car is getting seriously quick for an AU wagon. At WSID I have lined up manual XR6's pulling 14.7-14.9 that didn't get much further ahead of me!

jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Is it a Dominator HI-stall, what was your cost, paid $450 for ours.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Well I got the converter from a Sydney based mob called tci conveters in Seven Hills here.It was custom made for me with heavy duty components. The converter was installed by J&J Race engines and transmissions in Yennora .They were fantastic.These guys build genuine turbo autos.
I was a bit shocked with the converter because I asked for a 2500 rpm stall converter.Under the brakes I get 2500-2600. Flash stall is between 3000 and 3300 stall . I am not running any cooler yet but purchased a huge one today.

I was carrying around 250 kgs in my car when me and JonBays did it.

The cost for the converter was 295
installation plus oil 250
The oil cooler is a huge unit with all fittings it cost 110

I was very surprised to see flash stall speeds of 3000 to 3300..I thought wtf.

As for limp home mode ..I have seen none of this even without a cooler but its only been in for a day.At first there was something not right and it hit 4800 stall speed but it has settled down and goes well.
the only bummer is that the battery was disconnected and the cars idle is rougher.Looking at the plugs it is running too rich at idle.If this continues I will get my mate Spiro to have a sqiz.

I still believe that JonBays has more top end than me.I drove his ca and it felt good at 80 kays and up.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 28-09-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Love mine, it has made a huge improvement off the line.. where the auto has the biggest disadvantage.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

To be quite honest with you it felt quicker before and was no slouch by any means.I can honestly say that the bumometer cannot always tell a story.My best 0-100 has been 6.53 second.As soon as the cooler goes in I think I will try again.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 28-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Good work Stav, can't wait to hear how you go at WSID on the 5th.

Also, very interested to know how efficient this converter is compared to stock. Whens the next dyno day?

Jon, are you going to WSID on the 30th with V8O?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute

Also, very interested to know how efficient this converter is compared to stock. Whens the next dyno day?

Thanks Dave!!As you know I am paid/booked in for the 5th November .The only thing to stop me as the one hit wonder is the end of my terminally ill family member.He was given six months a few months ago.WSID will see my AU and my special plugs run down the quarter mile.I will prove what plugs are the best and that they do make a difference.

Last edited by Stav; 28-09-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 28-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Jonbays, you've raced your wagon, what do you estimate Useless's wagon will run on the 1/4?

Old 28-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Nik

should have a poll and see who can get the closest guess
if he gets his launch right i reckon be in the 14's easy .

stav what diff ratio you got in your wagon .
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Lining our cars up side by side though there is a huge difference now with useless' wagon puling about a car and a half ahead of me in first gear till 60k when I start to hold the gap but not close it.
ok, lets look at this mathamatically. At 150kph (approx needed for a 14 second pass) you are traveling 4.1 m a second. So 0.7 seconds (difference between Jonbays best of 15.6 and a 14.9) is almost 29 meters. Average car is less than 4 meters long. Thats 7.25 carlengths at the line. Now, since a drag race is not linear this is not a 'perfect' model but we can use it to look at some assumptions.

For Useless's wagon to get a 14.9 then we have to assume he has around 5 or more carlengths over Jonbays wagon (assuming Jonbays will get around 15.4 due to having a better setup than last time) over the first 1/8th of a mile. Why 1/8th? Well, given the stall is a 'launch' mod that has no bearing on acceleration after around 3200rpm.. and the only time you are under 3200rpm on a drag strip in an I6 auto is in 1st gear, this is the only time the converter can make a difference.

I still stand by my estimate of 15.5 or 15.4.. which is BLOODY fast for any I6 auto, a wagon especially.

Old 28-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute

yes i will be there. the only thing I am worrying over is whether to fit my 3.45 gears first or not. i wanted to do a before and after unichip only at the strip but i have been hanging on to these gears for ages and they must go in soon. maybe with a hi stall now after driving useless car today
Old 28-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Diff ratio is 3.23 ratio Jake.

Casper ..I did not come this far and spend so much effort to get a 15sec pass.I am optimistically looking at a 14.5 to a pessimisitc 15.5. This is my possible best time and reasonable worst time.

I was carrying 250 kgs of tools today when the cars lined up.Empty 250 kgs from my car and I think that I am on the money.At the moment though at idle it is running pig filthy rich after the battery disconnect. The idle seems to struggle and my special spark plugs have become black with soot.I was hoping that in 1 week that it will come good but if not I will visit the legendary Spiro from Autotech engineering .

Last edited by Stav; 28-09-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 28-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
ok, lets look at this mathamatically. At 150kph (approx needed for a 14 second pass) you are traveling 4.1 m a second. So 0.7 seconds (difference between Jonbays best of 15.6 and a 14.9) is almost 29 meters. Average car is less than 4 meters long. Thats 7.25 carlengths at the line. Now, since a drag race is not linear this is not a 'perfect' model but we can use it to look at some assumptions.

For Useless's wagon to get a 14.9 then we have to assume he has around 5 or more carlengths over Jonbays wagon (assuming Jonbays will get around 15.4 due to having a better setup than last time) over the first 1/8th of a mile. Why 1/8th? Well, given the stall is a 'launch' mod that has no bearing on acceleration after around 3200rpm.. and the only time you are under 3200rpm on a drag strip in an I6 auto is in 1st gear, this is the only time the converter can make a difference.

I still stand by my estimate of 15.5 or 15.4.. which is BLOODY fast for any I6 auto, a wagon especially.
Thats a good way to look at it. it's very hard to say although they are both AU auto wagons they do drive quite differently. Mine feels like it bogs down til 3000rpm then revs very eagerly to the redline. Useless feels more torquey and revs out nicely but not as enthusiasticly as mine. This gut feel stuff though isn't very reliable but I think once above 4000rpm I can certainly hold him and maybe catch up over the back end of the qtr but in our private test track today we couldn't really take it that far and I lost by a car and a half maybe two.
Old 28-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #14
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

"I still stand by my estimate of 15.5 or 15.4.. which is BLOODY fast for any I6 auto, a wagon especially"

last time I ran the wagon was pre unichip and it ran a best 15.6 and an average of 15.7.

I don't know what its doing post unichip yet but it will be a bit faster so I would guess a 15.2-15.4 and if mine does that useless is going faster for sure in the 60' so he could be flat 15 maybe 14's with luck.
Old 28-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Hang on JonBays.Loxxr6 got a 14.6 with 141 rwkws on that dyno.You got 144 rwkws and the soon to be advantage of the new diff gears.I agree with you on your analysis.I am definately quicker down low but your top end power by my feeling was more solid.To think this all started some 12 months ago because all I really wanted was a 0-100 car.

Last edited by Stav; 28-09-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 28-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Diff ratio is 3.23 ratio Jake.

Casper ..I did not come this far and spend so much effort to get a 15sec pass.I am optimistically looking at a 14.5 to a pessimisitc 15.5. This is my possible best time and reasonable worst time.
Mate, I wish you luck and would love to see you get a 14.x time but I'm looking at it from Isaac Newtons point of veiw here. I just cant see it.

Lets compare cars.
Both auto, both AU's.
Mine is slightly lighter
Yours has about 10rwkw more
That offsets that. Pretty even
Both have similar Histalls
Both have shift kits
Mine has 3.45 diff and LSD
Yours has 3.23 and SS
I have Tickfords Adaptashift set to performance mode, you have stock auto shift patterns (yes, it makes a difference)
I have done about 100 passes on the drag stip, you have done none.

I'm not even confident I'll get a 14.99.. You expect a 14.5 with a 14.9 at the least.

Isaac Newton cant see this, neither can I.

Personally, I'd love to see you get a 14.5... cause then I can get one too. But I just dont see it.

Old 28-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Until the numbers are in we all **** in the wind ..so to speak.I will trust your better judgement and wisdom as a friend who has been with me through this modding journey of my life. Ok my more realistic goal is...14.9999999 I am very optimistically after a 14.5/6 and very pessimistically looking at mid 15s. Either way I am going down the 1/4 for the fun of it..its not meant to be rockets science.

BTW Issac Newton is dead :

Last edited by Stav; 28-09-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 28-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Until the numbers are in we all **** in the wind ..so to speak.I will trust your better judgement and wisdom as a friend who has been with me through this modding journey of my life. Ok my more realistic goal is...14.9999999
Thats all I'm after.. and I would be very pleased with that.

Quote:
BTW Issac Newton is dead :
Yes, but so is Albert Einstein and Nuclear fission still works!

Old 28-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

If only I could give Issac Newton my car for an hour!!! :nutsycuck

Old 28-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

BTW if anyone has questions on stall converters fire away

Old 28-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #21
stiddy
Banned

hes the one that told me to dump it from 5,000rpm to rip a 15 flat hahaha

good luck useless.. hope you get the results you want.. remember if you cant stall it high enough autos are good for D slamming hahaha.. blew my first diff that way ;) but then it gives you an excuse to put in the better ratios gears..

hope it all works out for ya..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Thank you Stiddy I appreciate that mate.. :

Old 28-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #23
xr8ute
Back on the road

When is the trans-cooler going in Stav? Do you have anywhere safe to practice before the day?

Casper is right about the stock shiftpoints. You'll want to manually shift between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Plenty of testing will help you find the optimimum shiftpoint. Chris gave some good advice a little while ago about optimising shift points at the track by trying different rpm points from 1-2 and comparing 330 foot times.

I'll lend you my 235/45 R17 Dunlop SP3000A's for the day if it helps you get a 14.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Nps mate .I am going to put it in drive and fang it off the line.I want to know what it can do with normal driving.First gear doesnt show its face anymore.I wonder what happened to it.It is a strange thing.What happens is I fang it and before i know it the car has lunged forward
The cooler is siiting in the back seat at the moment.Its about 1/3 the size of the radiator.It looks like a mini barbecue.

Old 28-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #25
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Nps mate .I am going to put it in drive and fang it off the line.I want to know what it can do with normal driving.First gear doesnt show its face anymore.I wonder what happened to it.It is a strange thing.What happens is I fang it and before i know it the car has lunged forward
The cooler is siiting in the back seat at the moment.Its about 1/3 the size of the radiator.It looks like a mini barbecue.
As strange as it sounds it does FEEL exactly like first gear is gone in a second.

You floor it it revs instantly to 3000rpm and blasts through to about 5000rpm and changes into second.

Where as in mine you floor it and it goes to 2000rpm you take off with a bit of a start and at about 3500 it kicks on to 5300rpm. Mine FEELS like its in first for longer.

Both our cars do about 80kmh in first
Old 28-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

its all good fun!!

Old 28-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #27
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Its sad really two old farts racing their Falcon wagons.

We probably should be certified.
Old 28-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Remember what I said to you today.At least you look sporty mate.Tickford caps,nice clean engine bay..tickford badges.nice tyres...you look the part mate..you definately look it.
My car looks like a shopping trolley right down to my rocker cover with its infamous pink fluoro letters on the rocker cover..."reco"!! I dont know many people which would tell about being overtaken by my wagon.

Old 28-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
The cost for the converter was 295
installation plus oil 250
The oil cooler is a huge unit with all fittings it cost 110
Very Good value....

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #30
Stav
Smile

Well after all the hype I can confirm that the stall converter has made no difference to my 0-100 times.0-100 7.1 seconds...what a bummer.Looks like a 15.5 is all I should be hoping for at best..gtech doesnt lie.