Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Au Xr6 St

I was wondering whether anyone has an article including pics and tech specs of the Au XR6 ST model that they wouldn't mind emailing to moi. I need an article on this special vehicle. I heard there was only 125 made.

Please email to

dwaynewoodhouse@ozemail.com.au
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Whats the deal with the ST, I thought it was just an effort to get rid of the last of the AU Pre BA.
Please enlighten me.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Whats the deal with the ST, I thought it was just an effort to get rid of the last of the AU Pre BA.
Please enlighten me.
I think it was only cosmetic (18" wheels, leather interior & premium sound & etc) The mechenicals were the same as a VCT XR6. Not sure if brakes were upgraded. Every ST I've seen has been Blueprint colour only.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ST model had a 205kw vct motor and the BA irs but basiclly looks the same as a normal XR6, one of my customers has one it's in liquid silver and he say it's thirster than his XR8 it replaced goes good though.

Neil
neil101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil101
The ST model had a 205kw vct motor
No it didnt, it had the Std 172kw VCT like every other VCT.
Quote:
and the BA irs
No it didnt. It had the AU IRS like every other VCT and XR8

Quote:
but basiclly looks the same as a normal XR6,
Sorry, wrong again. It was fully kittedin the rebel kit, unlike most other XR6's.

Quote:
one of my customers has one it's in liquid silver and he say it's thirster than his XR8 it replaced goes good though.

Neil
All the VCT's were as thirsty, if not more thirsty than V8's. I know mine certainly is when compared to AU V8's.

Sorry Neil, he has spun you a yarn

The ST model is a "runout special" that was done at the very end of the AU models to get them sold. They were just an optioned up VCT. Basically the rebel kit, 18" rims, MOMO bits and often a sunroof. I think it also came with the top of the line sound as well.
Mechanically....its a bog stock VCT.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm okay not sure about the engine now, but it deffinatly has BA IRS under the back weather he has changed it or not I don't know.
On the std VCT being thirsty I haven't expirenced that.

Thanks for letting me know though

Neil
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hmm okay not sure about the engine now, but it deffinatly has BA IRS under the back weather he has changed it or not I don't know.
On the std VCT being thirsty I haven't expirenced that.

Thanks for letting me know though

Neil
Sorry, it didnt, the BA control blade IRS was never fitted to an AU of any kind. The AU had only one IRS setup. This setup was not changed for the entire life of the AU in any major way.
The VCT ST is just a limited addition VCT, every bit of the running gear from engine, gearbox, suspention etc is entirely the same as every other VCT that rolled off the line from the AU2 onwards and the same as AU1's in all but the brakes (and minor suspension changes to suit).

Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
The ST model had a 205kw vct motor and the BA irs but basiclly looks the same as a normal XR6, one of my customers has one it's in liquid silver and he say it's thirster than his XR8 it replaced goes good though.

Neil
Wrong, wrong & wrong again, were did you get this crock of sh%t from??
BA IRS not a chance....
205 VCT motor?? yeah right.....
Silver? Blueprint only.....
thirster than a V8I dont think so.... : :

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Wrong, wrong & wrong again, were did you get this crock of sh%t from??
BA IRS not a chance....
205 VCT motor?? yeah right.....
Silver? Blueprint only.....
thirster than a V8I dont think so.... : :
Well, actually, they are as thirsty as the E Series V8s at least - had an EB Fairmont V8 and my VCT drinks it under the table, agree witht he rest though.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well, actually, they are as thirsty as the E Series V8s at least - had an EB Fairmont V8 and my VCT drinks it under the table, agree witht he rest though.
I'd just love to know were this info comes from, and how it can be so wrong.... :

Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'd just love to know were this info comes from, and how it can be so wrong.... :
You and me both. I've spent close to 2 years reading, asking and devouring everything I could on the VCT. I know for a fact that there was never a 205kw VCT engine built for a production car, I also know that the IRS is identical to every other VCT, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, LTD, XR8 and even the T series cars in every technical aspect (not including shocks and springs). I personally dont even think the control blade suspension would fit as the AU IRS was a "module" designed to use the same pick up points as the live axle.. the BA IRS is not.

Only thing I will agree with is the VCT drinks like a fish. They like to rev and the car is heavy.. that means they like to drink.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

How much more weight than the standard XR6/8?
BTW a mate of a mate has one of them things with a turbo on it. Goes good too......

Last edited by sbutler; 06-03-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
XR8's are a little heavier than the VCT but not that much. Less than 20kg if memory serves me right.

Hard to get a clear number of how much heavier than the Std XR6 HP as I have yet to find an actual offical weight of the VCT. The HP is officially 1530kgs and I think thats understated quite a bit. I would estimate that given the full electrics, IRS and extra bits in the engine the VCT would be carrying at least 50kg more. I would, at a guess, put the VCT at around the 1600kg mark give or take. I'll actually weigh mine one day to find out.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
BTW a mate of a mate has one of them things with a turbo on it. Goes good too......
Impossible - the AU never came out with a turbo option. (insert appropriate smartarse smiley here).

Casper & sbutler, I know you guys already know you're right, but just to confirm, you are both right. I saw the XR6 ST at the MMS in 2001/02, and it had the Azzurros, leather, sunroof, etc, and was not much more $$$ than standard VCT. (about $5k, I think). Essentially, it is the AU XR6 equivalent of the XC Cobra - much like the T3 was the AU series 3 V8 equivalent of the Cobra. You know, just some cheap marketing gimmicks to get rid of the bodyshape - in the case of the T3s, this boiled down to a fancy bodykit and a stroked windsor. OK, that was a joke. Sit down!!! ROFL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Ah yeahs, and I'll add a few more threads to the yarn. The car came out in four colours - Venom, Blueprint, Liquid Silver and Silhouette.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #16
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
XR8's are a little heavier than the VCT but not that much. Less than 20kg if memory serves me right.

Hard to get a clear number of how much heavier than the Std XR6 HP as I have yet to find an actual offical weight of the VCT. The HP is officially 1530kgs and I think thats understated quite a bit.
That I agree with. No matter how light or claimed to be light, the XR6 HP is still a heavy car. I'd place it closer to the 1600 kg mark, but not exceeding.

Quote:
I would estimate that given the full electrics, IRS and extra bits in the engine the VCT would be carrying at least 50kg more. I would, at a guess, put the VCT at around the 1600kg mark give or take. I'll actually weigh mine one day to find out.
Mmmm, I'd push that closer to the 1700 kg mark. As you say the VCT is only marginally lighter at the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
I saw the XR6 ST at the MMS in 2001/02, and it had the Azzurros, leather, sunroof, etc, and was not much more $$$ than standard VCT. (about $5k, I think).
And for that extra dough one could've also got a runout AUIII XR8. The ST had a $45k price tag officially, excluding rego, dealer delivery charges and GST.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 07-03-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
That I agree with. No matter how light or claimed to be light, the XR6 HP is still a heavy car. I'd place it closer to the 1600 kg mark, but not exceeding.

Mmmm, I'd push that closer to the 1700 kg mark. As you say the VCT is only marginally lighter at the front end.
No arguments here, I've suspected that my car is in excess of 1700kgs for a while now. I'll get it on the scales one day.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #18
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Impossible - the AU never came out with a turbo option. (insert appropriate smartarse smiley here).

Casper & sbutler, I know you guys already know you're right, but just to confirm, you are both right. I saw the XR6 ST at the MMS in 2001/02, and it had the Azzurros, leather, sunroof, etc, and was not much more $$$ than standard VCT. (about $5k, I think). Essentially, it is the AU XR6 equivalent of the XC Cobra - much like the T3 was the AU series 3 V8 equivalent of the Cobra. You know, just some cheap marketing gimmicks to get rid of the bodyshape - in the case of the T3s, this boiled down to a fancy bodykit and a stroked windsor. OK, that was a joke. Sit down!!! ROFL.

Well ! : I think you already know what I think about this statement....
XC cobra V T3 : ha ha ha

Old 07-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #19
neil101
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

considering I just changed the rear brakes on this ST I know for a fact it has the BA control blade in the ***.
I'm not arguing with you guys they may not have come out with them but this particular one does have it.
It is possible that it was fitted factory Ford have been known to put the next models parts in the last of the previous model, I know for a fact that there were a few of the last ED's fitted with EF engine bbm and all.

Neil
Old 07-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #20
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Yeah but mate, the BA is longer in the body & wheel base then the AU so theres no way it can fit!! PICS mate that would clear all this up...
PS.... if your coming on the AFF cruise on Sunday I'll have a look at your car & see what the go is. IF not I'll meet you somewere on sunday morning, and have a geeza..... :

Last edited by sbutler; 07-03-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:42 AM   #21
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
considering I just changed the rear brakes on this ST I know for a fact it has the BA control blade in the ***.
I'm not arguing with you guys they may not have come out with them but this particular one does have it.
It is possible that it was fitted factory Ford have been known to put the next models parts in the last of the previous model, I know for a fact that there were a few of the last ED's fitted with EF engine bbm and all.

Neil

Quote:
...... I personally dont even think the control blade suspension would fit as the AU IRS was a "module" designed to use the same pick up points as the live axle.. the BA IRS is not.......

Casper your correct , once again...!

Part of the reason the AU IRS was so heavy was because of the frame used to mount the unit to the pickup points , which were the same as the live axle points.....Control Blade uses a totally different way to mount to the body than the AU system. Im not saying its not possible , its just not very likely.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

This is interesting regarding the rear end, I like most of you cannot believe the Blade rear end would be on the back of an AU, structure,different shock and mounts you would have to ask why would Ford do this ? Testing ? This is if neil101 is correct ?

I know my AU3 after many times having the front end stripped for the purpose of testing some urethane bushes for a company has BA running gear at the front ie control arms castors etcetec.

As sbutler mentioned pics please ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #23
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
For the record my AU HP clocked in at 1540kg @ WSID (incl spare, full tank fuel etc...oh and 200kgs of tools :nutsycuck ).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #24
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I will vouch for Loxxr6's kerb weight numbers at Scrutineering at WSID.

I was next up and the AUII Fairmont auto wagon went over at 1650Kg.

The only Ford that could be heavier than mine would be the LWB LTD V8.

The XR8's should be lighter for sure.

By the way Loxxr6 XR6 is an early AUI XR6 so it would be lighter than late model ones with Electric windows etc. It did have a quite full tank though! I had remembered to run mine as low as possible before going out to the Drag strip to try and keep the weight down.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #25
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

True the manuals will be lighter. The autos (which mine is) add another 40kg of weight on top of that plus the power options.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'll weigh mine next time I'm in Geelong at night. See what it gets.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:14 PM   #27
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a blueprint XR6 ST the other day. It was a VCT with a sunroof, azurro's, and leather with a bodykit. Looked sweet as! Blueprint looks excellent on AU's.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #28
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

All wonderfull but what does this have to do with a BA rear end in an a AU??

Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #29
buickman
buickman

Quote:

Neil
I know that none of us can change your mind on this Ba IRS fitted to the AU ST. But the fuel tank is placed different on the BA's. All AU's had the same IRS only difference being the fairmont ghia's, fairlanes, Ltd's & the rare futura's that had the IRS fitted never had the top camber bolts like the XR series.

buickman

Last edited by buickman; 07-03-2005 at 09:44 PM.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Having seen 2 of these things on hoists being worked on at Ford, i can pretty well guarantee there are not many (if any at all) running round with BA IRS in them (no mention of it in the tech sheets for the cars either). It is possible, the trouble is it would never be doucmented i.e. Ford wouldnt tell the owner of the vehicle that has it (assuming it exists). The only way to find out would be to jack it up and have a look.

However, i would think it more likely that any BA spec suspension components would be found in test mules specifically made by Ford for the sole purpose of testing, and thus would never be sold to the public, in fact they'd more likely be destroyed.