Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Do you like the look of the AU (std) headlights?
Not fussed really. 43 23.76%
Yes, love them. 48 26.52%
Would change them if I could afford to. 50 27.62%
Worst part of the car. 40 22.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #121
HLC
Audi S3

i cant really see from those piccies Duffman, but how is the peripheral vision. do you get much light shining out on the sides of the road, cause it looks like the light is pretty focused on the centre of the road, meaning i wouldnt be able to see any hazards on the side of the road which could possibly move infront... like wildlife or idiot kids or something
Old 17-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #122
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Its good the pics really don't show the ligh output very good. I mean the lights are orange yet they come out white/blue in the pics. When I take the pics it seems to just focus on the large section of light and cut off all light around it. This may be due to the fact I have no idea how to use the camera its one of the more profesional digital cameras hence im guessing lots of stuffing around to get the best pic.

The light in the pics does seem very narrow but they are perfectly fine when on the road and produce a much wider beam.

Ill have the kit fitted soon and take a pic at night with the foggies on to see if it clears it up at all.
Old 17-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #123
HLC
Audi S3

sweet as!
Old 18-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #124
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice pics there Duffman ... the beam pattern looks good ... and I know what you mean about trying to take a photo at night .... my camera likes to adjust things without me knowing ... and after i take a picture ... its different ... LOL

Dok .... which ones are you bringing to the BBQ Day??? The Black or the Silver???
You might make more money auctioning them off

I'll make sure I have a decent amount of money on me : (and tools)
Old 18-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #125
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Now this looks like the brightness of my HIDs (but pictures can be deceiving).
But is a much better beam pattern then I currently have (which is what I am after).
Old 18-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #126
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Nice pics there Duffman ... the beam pattern looks good ... and I know what you mean about trying to take a photo at night .... my camera likes to adjust things without me knowing ... and after i take a picture ... its different ... LOL

Dok .... which ones are you bringing to the BBQ Day??? The Black or the Silver???
You might make more money auctioning them off

I'll make sure I have a decent amount of money on me : (and tools)
I'll bring the black one's, silver I would only do by request.
You don't have to purchase them on the day (although you can if you wish), I certainly didn't want you to think you are obligated to buy these there & then.
However if you decide to, then I'll give you a hand to throw them in. They come with the "jump looms" as std, you need them to revert back to H1 (low beam) whilst retaining low beam functionality on high.
Also might I suggest a "Ceremonial Burning" of those "Altezza Style" nasties you have installed while we're there...........:

Last edited by The Dok; 18-04-2006 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Cause I could.
Old 18-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #127
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
I'll bring the black one's, silver I would only do by request.
You don't have to purchase them on the day (although you can if you wish), I certainly didn't want you to think you are obligated to buy these there & then.
However if you decide to, then I'll give you a hand to throw them in. Also might I suggest a "Ceremonial Burning" of those "Altezza Style" nasties you have installed while we're there...........:
ROFLMAO :
hahahahahahaha
Anyone with an Oxy?????
I'll bring along some tools if i can remember too.
I'll speak to you when we get down there ... definitely bring the black ones (and the plug in looms just incase)
Old 20-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #128
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

For anyone interested.

Fitting HID next week and t3 bar should be on so will get some more shots
Old 20-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #129
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

They look fine with halogens at the moment though.
I have been running HIDs for the last 12 months ... and I can tell you ... they may prematurely damage the headlight internals ... especially if the projector cup is not made of metal.

You may end up melting it ... this is one reason why I am going to be ditching my HID kit in the not too distant future (plus mine is a H4 kit ... so it won't fit the new lights ... if i can get a set ... hopefully buying this coming weekend).
Old 20-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #130
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They look fine with halogens at the moment though.
I have been running HIDs for the last 12 months ... and I can tell you ... they may prematurely damage the headlight internals ... especially if the projector cup is not made of metal.

You may end up melting it ... this is one reason why I am going to be ditching my HID kit in the not too distant future (plus mine is a H4 kit ... so it won't fit the new lights ... if i can get a set ... hopefully buying this coming weekend).
They actually do look to have (better than I expected) terrific output. He, ("Duffman") still needs to play around with the aiming, but as explained it's a trial & error thing. Personally, I'm not a fan of HIDs so really can't comment from experience regarding heat issues, but given that the reflector is not made of metal, I would like to say.......be careful. I'm now assembling the "new (slightly) improved" headlights I'll be bringing to the AU BBQ on Sunday, so Mechan1k, you will have "first option" on them on the day.

Oh & Duffie old boy, if you leave NOW..........you can still make it to the big day on Sunday :the_finge

Last edited by The Dok; 20-04-2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Cause, that's all.
Old 20-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #131
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

OK ... hopefully the service on the ute is not too expensive tomorrow.
I should be coming carrying cash though

But from those pics the halogen output is pretty damn good.
I actually might buy a set of headlight protectors before I head down as well ... if i do buy them ... they will be safe for the trip back.
Old 20-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #132
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hay Dok whats new and improved on the newer sets?

Am I to beleive iv been superceeded :P
Old 21-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #133
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Ahahahahha ... I'll have a look and let you know
Woo hoo ... got the car back from being fixed ... I will be in Melbourne tomorrow afternoon. And yes I have tools and a camera
Old 21-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #134
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ahahahahha ... I'll have a look and let you know
Woo hoo ... got the car back from being fixed ... I will be in Melbourne tomorrow afternoon. And yes I have tools and a camera
He knows "whats new & improved, I PM'd him last night just to alleviate his fears. They are assembled & ready to go, there are some minor improvements which I will point out on Sunday, but having not seen the "original" pair there really wont be any noticable difference. :
Old 25-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #135
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

The lights are top notch ... attention to detail is awesome .... tried fitting the, the morning after the AU picnic day .... and ... it didn't go so well.

Nothing wrong with the new light and cable ... just a case of trying to disconnect the old HID system and remove other wiring to put these in place.

When i get some time I will get them done (hopefully tomorrow).

I need to sort out the old wiring and I hope the guys that installed the spotties ran the trigger wire for them off the high beam insert cabling and not off the low/high beam loom.

As I found out on the way home that I stuffed the high beam insert on the old set of lights and hence had no spot lights on the freeway at night .... also stuffed the old driver's side low beam along with the highbeam ... so all I had on the way home was the left low beam and the ИИИИy highbeam on that side in the pitch black dark ... that was gerat ... Bec enjoyed driving with limited light.

Hoping to sort it all out though ... need to remove the battery to remove the HID system ... i might play it safe and take it to a trust auto electrician though and tell them the entire story ... also show them the jump loom as well.

And The Dok has seen first hand what HID globes can do to reflectors ... he saw the nice burn in patch and the discoloured lenses ... but that's on the crappy headlights though.

I am not risking the same thing with the new headlgihts though.

Will rummage around for some hose clamps as well to keep the rubber seals in place too.
Old 25-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #136
eminvil_12

These kind of look the same as what you have done mate.
From what i have seen anyway

Old 25-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #137
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminvil_12
These kind of look the same as what you have done mate.
From what i have seen anyway

haha nothing like it....
the pic you put up is covers over the outside.....
the ones dok has done is.modified the reflector with a projection beam...., modified the insert to have a bit of an "eyebrow", then paint the insert black....
Old 25-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #138
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
haha nothing like it....
the pic you put up is covers over the outside.....
the ones dok has done is.modified the reflector with a projection beam...., modified the insert to have a bit of an "eyebrow", then paint the insert black....
Well said Wayne. Those "nasty looking" covers make the AU headlight worse IMO & I reallt didn't think that was possible. :
Old 25-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #139
eminvil_12

lol nothing like it.
I didnt think it was a cover, i thought the inserty was painted.

Im not too car savvy yet ;)
Might have to check though more pics in this thread
Old 25-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #140
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The lights are top notch ... attention to detail is awesome .... tried fitting the, the morning after the AU picnic day .... and ... it didn't go so well.

Nothing wrong with the new light and cable ... just a case of trying to disconnect the old HID system and remove other wiring to put these in place.

When i get some time I will get them done (hopefully tomorrow).

I need to sort out the old wiring and I hope the guys that installed the spotties ran the trigger wire for them off the high beam insert cabling and not off the low/high beam loom.

As I found out on the way home that I stuffed the high beam insert on the old set of lights and hence had no spot lights on the freeway at night .... also stuffed the old driver's side low beam along with the highbeam ... so all I had on the way home was the left low beam and the ИИИИy highbeam on that side in the pitch black dark ... that was gerat ... Bec enjoyed driving with limited light.

Hoping to sort it all out though ... need to remove the battery to remove the HID system ... i might play it safe and take it to a trust auto electrician though and tell them the entire story ... also show them the jump loom as well.

And The Dok has seen first hand what HID globes can do to reflectors ... he saw the nice burn in patch and the discoloured lenses ... but that's on the crappy headlights though.

I am not risking the same thing with the new headlgihts though.

Will rummage around for some hose clamps as well to keep the rubber seals in place too.
Thanks Simon, you should be better off with the new one's, I really couldn't believe how much the altezza's had deteriorated. Glad you made it home ok, was a treat to finally catch up with you, hopefully (if/when) you return to our part of the world, we can meet up again. _2:
Old 25-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #141
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think next time I am dwn in Melbourne .... I'll be coming down via plane and hiring a car ... Bec and i really didn't like the trip via the Hume Hwy ... no wonder there's 50 million "take a powernap" signs on the highway.

If I do drive down I'd prefer to take the coast road even though its much longer.

Seriously though I can't believe how smooth the BA front conversion looks though ... much neater than i thought ... and i must admit the wagon is in top condition ... you must be a real perfectionist if you think it needs a respray ... hee hee
Old 25-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #142
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think next time I am dwn in Melbourne .... I'll be coming down via plane and hiring a car ... Bec and i really didn't like the trip via the Hume Hwy ... no wonder there's 50 million "take a powernap" signs on the highway.

If I do drive down I'd prefer to take the coast road even though its much longer.

Seriously though I can't believe how smooth the BA front conversion looks though ... much neater than i thought ... and i must admit the wagon is in top condition ... you must be a real perfectionist if you think it needs a respray ... hee hee
You're too kind Simon, but thank's for the compliment mate. I probably try too hard to achieve 100% in whatever I do, so anything less seems like a compromise (including headlights). Having spoken to "Duffman" earlier, he informs me he is about to install a HID kit in headlights, so lets see how he goes with that, might be worth you re-considering once he posts some pics? At least you can say you did it (the drive down & back), I would not be so keen, would easily take me twice as long, stopping every 100km or so to chamois the car lol.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #143
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...dprojector.jpg

Pics a bit blurry
Old 25-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #144
LUXO_8
windsor user

whilst it looks good........i would seriously be careful running HID's in those projectors....... they are plastic and i have seen them melt with regular wattage halogen globes.
i run HID's in my BMW projectors ONLY because they have metal reflectors in them...

personally.......................i wouldnt
Old 25-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #145
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

That was a concern when putting them in. I will keep a close eye on them but when putting your hand infront of the light its actually cooler then before when it had the old bulbs in it. The old ones put out a hotter light but im not sure if this really means anything in terms of reflector damage.

Ill watch them closely if anything starts to happen will remove them but ill keep everyone posted. At least with the sides of the projector exposed it makes it easy to view inside it to make sure everything is aok.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #146
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Let us know how it goes .... I know the HIDs run cooler ... but I found in the Altezza style headlights the reflector area had a burn patch immediately above the exposed the HID ARC. It may have caused a hot spot on the reflector itself.

WOuld love to see on-road beam pattern shots though with the HID in and working.
Old 25-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #147
LUXO_8
windsor user

duffman, can you take a pic parked by the same fence as per your post above, so we can compare the difference.....
Old 25-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #148
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I have gone out taken some pics of them. I didn't have a spare wall around to take pics of them on but will hopefully do that tomorrow night. When touching the front of the headlight its alot cooler then it was with the old halogen bulb hopefully this transfers to non-burnt reflectors.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid3.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid4.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid5.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/au2/hid6.jpg
Old 26-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #149
TUF514
Banned

are these available for purchase?

if so, can you let me know a price.

thanks.
Old 26-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #150
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
are these available for purchase?

if so, can you let me know a price.

thanks.
I have already responded to your email (yesterday/Tues), if for some reason you did not receive it, private message me via the forums & I shall forward my earlier response. :