Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default Ideas Of Places To Visit In Tassie

Im looking at going to TAS in just over a month with my girlfriend, we both like the idea of having a driving holiday and all of the photos we have seen of Tasmania look so picturesque.

Looking at spending about a week there, and was going to stay in Hobart for three nights, Launceston for two nights, Queenstown for two nights. This is just a rough idea, this could be changed during the trip.

We have done a bit of research of places to go, but i thought i would ask here anyway to see what the locals, and others that have been there think.

What do you think are the best places to visit in TAS???

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I went to the sth of Tassie two yr's ago, loved it, such a nice pleasant place, We were only there for 5 day's which I think personally is not long enough.
We stayed at Hobart, a Lovely city, Mt Wellignton is a must if you like view's,
Bruny Island and the Tour of the boat's was good, would have liked to have spent more time here but was limited.
Wine glass bay was nice, worth a visit if havn't done.
We never got the chance to go anywhere else , we wanted to head inland and to Cradle Mountain but once again we were limited for time.
But most of all and I hope to get back there one day soon to do it, is go to the West side of the Isle, so much untouched land there and focus on the Sth West, the rough coast.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
WMD351
Size it up

The Cascade brewery South Hobart. Magnificent old place, and beer also!
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Mate with such little time, do the east coast. It rocks. Cradle mountain is worth a day but probably doesnt fit with time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2454391...7613805409857/

I loved Tassie - spent just over 3 weeks and needed 3 more!
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

East coast, , bicheno, strahan.... stay at constitution dock in hobart, some great old pubs around..... Mt wellington, , , cascade beer tour, , , night cruise on the derwent, , , head up to launceston there is a good old car musuem near the city park, , , , cataract gorge in launceston, , , , up the tamar valley nice wineries and strawberry farms, , , , beaconsfield "old" mine is cool, , , , , grindleworld is funny but worth checking out....... ross is a nice place ...... oh and richmond has a nice old bridge..... there is also a decent wildlife park just out of hobart....

Love the place !

Craig
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
glavas

port Arthur
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

OH, and there is a Ghost tour at port arthur that rocks !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
OH, and there is a Ghost tour at port arthur that rocks !
I agree!!!
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hobart 2 nights - check out Mt Welington, Southern forests (airwalk, Hastings Caves, Cockle Creek..... walk into Southcape Bay...!), Tasman Peninsula. Also do the Bruny Island charter, or the one out of Port Arthur that goes to Tasman Island.

10/10 on either hi speed baot trip option.

2 days on the East Coast. Drive through to Coles Bay first night, check out Maria Island if you have time, Walk the Hazards, down into Wineglass Bay, get all intimate on the friendly beaches. Then visit Bicheno, St Helens, Mussel Roe, stay up the far North East somewhere.

Drive across the North, visit Bridport, check out the Tamar wine route, stay in Launceston one night, visit the gorge etc.

Across to Cradle Mountain, stay a night there, get lost in the bush. Awsome scenery, all post card stuff. Next day, drive the West coast, check out the mining towns, visit Strahan and spend the night..., do a Macquarie Harbour / Gordon River Cruise. And the railway - you'll be blown over by that!

Drive back to Hobart - visit Lake St claire - do the high speed RIB trip to the top of the lake and walk back, check out Tarreleah, Salmon Ponds, etc etc on the way back through.

There's a action packed, full on, mega experience itinary right there. You will be buggered by the end of it, but blown away by the beauty and diversity of Tasmania. Blown away, and wanting to return with more time next time!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5L
Im looking at going to TAS in just over a month with my girlfriend, we both like the idea of having a driving holiday and all of the photos we have seen of Tasmania look so picturesque.

Looking at spending about a week there, and was going to stay in Hobart for three nights, Launceston for two nights, Queenstown for two nights. This is just a rough idea, this could be changed during the trip.

We have done a bit of research of places to go, but i thought i would ask here anyway to see what the locals, and others that have been there think.

What do you think are the best places to visit in TAS???
You will regret having only a week.

Try and match your holiday to have a Saturday morning in Hobart at Salamanca Place, a great market for all things (car parts not common, though)

In any case, my seven day tour would be as follows (assuming you are flying into Hobart):

Day 1: Hobart: Cascade Brewery, Mt Wellington, general look around then spend the night at Kingston or Margate or Kettering of even Adventure Bay on Bruny Island.
Day 2: Bruny Island cruise out of Adventure Bay (takes three hours). Spend the afternoon heading south through Woodbridge, Cygnet, Huonville and down to the Tahune Airwalk and the Hastings hot pools. Stay around Huonville.
Day 3: Head to Richmond in the morning and Port Arthur in the afternoon. It is the greatest tourist attraction I have seen in Tassie and does a fantastic job of not letting what happended in a single day dominate over 200 years of history. There is some good value accommodation at Taranna.
Day 4: Head to Coles Bay/Freycinet. Enjoy the beaches and a bit of walking.
Day 5: Head to Launceston, river cruise, Grindelwold, Cataract Gorge.
Day 6: Head to Cradle Mountain for more walking and mountain experience.
Day 7: return to the airport or ferry of your choice.

Given your time frame, I would sacrifice visiting the West Coast.

Enjoy the trip.

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 04-01-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Director

My definates would be Bruny Island (adventure Bay and take the jet boat ride) Wine Glass Bay/Coles Bay, Tahune air walk, Mount welington, Tamar wine region, and of course Richmond (bit biased cause I live there!)
have fun!

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Stay longer than a week if you can, theres so many nice places down here you just wont see enough in a week if you ask me
Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
5L
[ 5L ]

cheers for all the feedback people.

lol ill let the missus check this page out and she can plan it haha.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post