Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Default au steering lock query

Hey guys,
Only noticed my steering lock doesnt seem to engage. It use to but now it doesnt. I turn the wheel and it just isnt clicking and locking! What could be the cause?
Cheers, Alex.

xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: au steering lock query

Possibly the locking pin has sheared - can't really think of anything else that would stop it from engaging.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Ah okay. Can it be repaired?
Old 14-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

How do I go about checking out the ignition barrel to check if it is sheered?

Cheers, Alex.
Old 14-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The steering column lock is integral to the key barrel housing. When the ignition key is turned to the "0" position and removed, a tongue inside the steering column lock can engage with the steering column tube, locking it into position. When the ignition key is
turned to the "I", "II", or "III" position, the steering column lock tongue withdraws, unlocking the steering column tube and allowing it to rotate.

To remove:

1. Unclip the upper shroud by grabbing it at the openings where the switch levers pass through the shroud. Pull the rear of the shroud directly upwards to disengage the two rear clips. The shroud can then be moved rearwards to disengage the two forward clips.

2. Remove the ignition key barrel by inerting the ignition key, turning it to position "I" and then depressing the pin in the side of the ignition lock housing.

The barrel itself is not serviceable as such but with the barrel out you should see the tongue move in and out when the key is removed or rotated as per the italicised section above. It might just be stuck in which case some graphite powder should do the trick but if it is sheared then you'll need a new barrel - a new barrel can be coded to the existing key easily enough.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How loose is the steering shaft-bearings.
if they are moving then the lock hole might not be lining up.

the design is if something fails there is less chance of locking the wheel.

the lock mechanism to get stuck or brocken is not unusual. sometimes the grease goes hard with dirt. the mechanism is die cast alloy.

I found it easier to replace steering column as an assembly and the body module so that I didn't have to recode the keys or have the lock matched to the body module.

door lock is easy to swap.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Cool I'll remove the barrel and see whether the steering lock is jammed up. How can I tell if the steering shaft bearings are loose?
Old 23-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Lol as I was parking up a steep driveway at my grandma's house yesterday I had the wheel turned at a 90 degree angle and as I entered the car I moved the wheel anti clockwise and it locked... it locks without effort, still learning new things every day!