Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Talking AU - best car I have owned

I have to be honest and say ever since the AU came out in 1998 I have been a vocal critic of the styling and the interior of these cars. I have owned an EF, EL, BA XR6T and now a AU XR8 Rebel, and honestly the AU is the best car I have owned. The interior grows on you and I have lost track of how many people have said "For a Ford this is a good looking car".

So to all the knockers of the AU out there (me being one of them for many years) give them a chance, because once you see past the looks of the things, they are really a cracker of a car to own and enjoy!

Cheers! :hihi:

BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Yes they are a very good car to own. I keep remineding my brother that the best car he every own was the AU, never had a problem with it unlike his current BA.
Old 30-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i agree. up until 18 months ago i had never owned an AU, let alone been in one. and just went withthe general consensus of "the AU is nearly as bad as the EA, it's just plain ugly and handles like c**p". i wasnt too happy when told that the only car i would be able to buy (due to poor credit rating) with out budging from ford would be the AU. lets just say that after a week of driving it, i found myself falling in love with it and couldnt see what all the fuss was about im now on my 2nd AU and loving it. the 1st was a series 1 forte sedan with 5 spoke 16's and rear wing in oxford green, unfortunately written off with in 6mths:( now i have a series 2 forte wagon bog stock at the moment, but thats ok, im still loving it!!

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Yeah, only took some people 9 years to develop a sense of style! :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Funny you mention it ... I knocked the AU as well when it first came out ... because at the time the styling was ahead of it's time.

Today though ... it seems to suit now (if you know what I mean). I guess because everyone has seen so many taxis out there on the roads.

When I first looked at mine I had my heart set on a BA ute ... test drive an AU LPG ute (as it was much cheaper as well) ... and I actually enjoyed the drive ... it handled better and the seats were more comfortable ... plus the interior plastics are far superior than the B-series Falcons and S-series Territories (I own one as well ... so I can compare fairly).

The interior styling has grown on me over time and I like te look of it now (I even liked that old Mustang that had the AU dash installed in it ... looked classy).

So from someone who used to knock the vehicle ... I am a convert ... and all Ican say is don't knock'em till you drive one for a while ... you will be pleasantly surprised.

They are a much better vehicle than the Commodore of the same era ... as the Commodores look and feel dated whereas the Falcon doesn't seem to.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
Norton
Tuned by HPF

I've owned an AU1 Forte from New, an AU2 Futura dedicated LPG from New and now an AU3 Fairmont Ghia V8 from 1 year old.

Although they have all had their share of small problems I have never been let down by them.

Prior to owning the AU's I was a dead set Holden supporter, I was then given a Ford Falcon as a company car and have loved them ever since.

You could say I am a true convert!

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Yep, I actually prefer to drive our AU over our BA as well,....interesting that isnt it.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yep I was a knocker from way back on the base models,they did suck imo......
Always like the XR's though but whinged not enough power so was leading towards a VXSS in 2002.
After driving both (AUXR8S3/VXSS) the money was on the XR8 no worries. I fixed the power deficiency.
Come mid April 06 I came reallyreally close to a BSeries FPV in the V8 ofcourse, by the time I weighed everything up I couldn't go past a T3 and haven't looked back !!
The ugly duckling certainly turns me on.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
The ugly duckling certainly turns me on.
Ugly duckling! No way Bluey, that T series is indeed a beautiful swan!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i've been close to buying an AU several times, but the interior (and to some extents the exterior) has always put me off at the vital moment. Although i have driven a couple, and they do drive very well, steering is a bit light but they're very responsive off the line, unlike the BA.

And i still believe the t3 TE50 is the best looking muscle car Ford Aus has produced.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Ugly duckling! No way Bluey, that T series is indeed a beautiful swan!

GK
No argument re the TSeries, ugly was referring base models, no offence to lovers of them just my opinion.
Old 30-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have nothing against an AU XR they look great have never changed opinion on that, it's all the other models with those horrible lights I don't like, I could only ever own an AU XR if I owned an AU.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU's are the only care I can think of that need a body kit to pass in the looks department. Standard they are horrid (more so the series 1) but throw on a kit and the look beter then most models
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Is strange but the only criticism's I've ever heard of the AU's are its visual appearance, tha AU1 brakes, and that the V8's were a bit underpowered.
I can live with both of these as I think most of us agree the V8's were really struggling by the end (hence the 220 and 250 strokers getting a lot of costly parts to try and keep them relevant) and that the looks were certainly polerising. The AU1 brakes were woeful, but that got sorted on AU2.

I think its testement to the AU that, aside from theres issues, there is hardly ever a bad word said about them in general. Strength, build quality, handling, safety, dynamics, "modability" and road presence have all been outstanding features of the car. I'm sure there are plenty of other Falcon models that would love all of these traits in just 1 package.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
I have nothing against an AU XR they look great have never changed opinion on that, it's all the other models with those horrible lights I don't like, I could only ever own an AU XR if I owned an AU.
Funny that, i'm kinda the opposite. Not that I don't like the XRs, I just love the look of the fairmonts and T3s. Just not the au1 fortes, like mine :P but thats gettin fixed!
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Always liked the look of the AU Series III XR's, now Im lucky enough to own one.
Old 30-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
jeffb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
AU's are the only care I can think of that need a body kit to pass in the looks department. Standard they are horrid (more so the series 1) but throw on a kit and the look beter then most models
I agree, if you have an AU it must have a wing otherwise the back just looks wrong.

I have a T2 and it has one of those lip things on the back, cant say that does it for me, but XR wings etc make them look much better.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
I agree, if you have an AU it must have a wing otherwise the back just looks wrong.

I have a T2 and it has one of those lip things on the back, cant say that does it for me, but XR wings etc make them look much better.
Funny I'm the opposite, my XR8 first I put the Bi Plane on it, then I knew she'd look good without one so I got the S1 bootlid spoiler done in Carbon and she look awesum imo.....
Then as other have done like ex GlennAU's AND SFRROB'S,no spoilers but you must have bodykit's and wheels the look Fat.
Old 30-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Kit but wingless FTW on the AU
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #20
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau

To be honest, I really dont think they NEED a bodykit, you be the judge...

I was a Holden man, even though my last name is Ford, and I too hated the AU when it was released. Then in 2000, my parents came home in an AU1 Forte, and I hated it. Then eventually, after being driven around in it, and actually driving it, I have come to love it. I ended up buying my own, an AU1 Fairmont, and have not looked back. It clicked over 200000k's today, and all that I know is wrong with it is it need a gearbox rebuild soonish.
Old 30-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, bodykit without a wing, even though I've got 1 at this stage. Nothing looks better then a ts50 kit and no wing
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Might be a bit biased but I think this is one of the nicest wheelbarrows I've ever used.....

Old 30-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Might be a bit biased but I think this is one of the nicest wheelbarrows I've ever used.....

B2tf, ive always wondered what your plates mean?

XR eight eighty??
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yeah, only took some people 9 years to develop a sense of style! :
Yes casper i was one of those lol. I had an ED and i wanted an EL /xr6/8 then i found an AU XR6 5sp, thought yeah ok might take it for a spin soon as i drove it i was hooked better then any EL was so i bought it and fell in love with the XR front drove her around for 12mths then i really fell in love i found my current car, a 2000 AUII TE50 i never liked the standard AU front but i liked the T series front i had to buy her rather then see her go to someone else and be neglected, i love how ppl under estermate my car and on body knows what it is. Back on topic ive had 2 AU's and havnt had an problems only with the TE it has a slight ssshhh ssshhh ssshhh noise which is most likely the handbrake and a slight squeak, somedays i wish i had my ED back then i go for a hoon on the TE and it is forgotten :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd say it's meant to flow as "XR EIGHT" ?
Old 30-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
B2tf, ive always wondered what your plates mean?

XR eight eighty??
Was the closest I could get to XR8UTE without paying the extortionate fees NSW RTA charges for personalised plates. Kind of says "XR eight" in a way if you say it really fast/look at it sideways/drunk etc. :
Old 30-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Was the closest I could get to XR8UTE without paying the extortionate fees NSW RTA charges for personalised plates. Kind of says "XR eight" in a way if you say it really fast/look at it sideways/drunk etc. :
well i was close then
Old 30-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb

Where are you, would you like to swap im after a bobtail? Is it a genuine tickford bobtail and what colour, i have an XR wing on my T
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
i'd say it's meant to flow as "XR EIGHT" ?
yep, you are right too. sorry, didnt see your post!
Old 30-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
5L
[ 5L ]

i didnt like the looks of the au's, and i was a little unsure when buying mine. brought it mainly because it went well, and for a stock car sounded great. plus the leather and premium sound. then i gradually got use to the looks of the car. now though i think that they are an awesome looking car and where just a couple of years ahead of there time.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post