Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tax man targets "luxury cars"

The tax office are now targeting owners of cars worth more than $55,000.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...80-421,00.html

WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, not really targeting people with cars > $55k.... targeting tax cheats with cars > $55k...

Good on em
Old 19-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Well I own two cars over $55K so I guess they will check on me.... I have nothing to hide and either does my accountant.

I don't know if I would classify FPV's as Luxury vehicles though.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for my interest when does luxury car tax kick in & how much does the ATO extract for the privalage?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Just for my interest when does luxury car tax kick in & how much does the ATO extract for the privalage?
LCT is for $57k+ and is like a sales tax which is added to the GST inclusive price.... 25% of the ex GST amount over $57k IIRC

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/index...D=228&branch=7
Old 19-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The luxury car tax is currently 25%. It applies on every dollar above $57,009. It applies on accessories too, so educate yourself about how you should deal with accessories before you buy.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

good . if there are people out there driving gt-p's and fairlanes posches etc etc , with taxable incomes of $27 000 illegally well i hope these people go to jail.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
The luxury car tax is currently 25%. It applies on every dollar above $57,009. It applies on accessories too, so educate yourself about how you should deal with accessories before you buy.
Does that include ORC?
& on a car that cost $60k u pay $747.75 luxury car tax correct? What a rip off

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
EA2BA
PM me if you want

A rumour I heard is that Holden planned to sell an HSV car with bare minimum and then dealer fit the bulk of it to get around luxury tax.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
RATT

No true EA2BA. The tax is charged on what is invoiced for the specific car. So even if a dealer fits options then that is also subject to the LCT.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The options where to be fitted after the fact as an extra, not as part of original invoice, so you would pay for the car invoice, then pay for the kit invoice later.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
good . if there are people out there driving gt-p's and fairlanes posches etc etc , with taxable incomes of $27 000 illegally well i hope these people go to jail.
I agree that anyone rorting the system should be prosecuted. The vast majority will be doing the right thing however that won't stop the tax office from subjecting an innocent minority to unnecessary, stressful, time-consuming and costly audits.
Old 19-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
I agree that anyone rorting the system should be prosecuted. The vast majority will be doing the right thing however that won't stop the tax office from subjecting an innocent minority to unnecessary, stressful, time-consuming and costly audits.
My understanding of these "audits" is that they are really just cross checking databses... not an audit per-se... if the computer check reveals something worthwhile then the real audit would ensue...

And sure there will be innocent parties subjected to these rigorous audits.... but who is to blame - the ATO... or the tax cheats who prompt the ATO to undergo such excercises.... ?
Old 19-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Does that include ORC?
& on a car that cost $60k u pay $747.75 luxury car tax correct? What a rip off
It does not include ORC, it is only on the actual car + accessories price

Our Events cater for all types of people.

Last edited by BLKPhoon; 19-04-2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
My understanding of these "audits" is that they are really just cross checking databses... not an audit per-se... if the computer check reveals something worthwhile then the real audit would ensue...

Let's hope the bureaucrat who makes the ultimate decision is fair and reasonable.

And sure there will be innocent parties subjected to these rigorous audits....

That's my point precisely.

but who is to blame - the ATO... or the tax cheats who prompt the ATO to undergo such excercises.... ?
Blame. There is no real benefit blaming something or someone. It's going to happen regardless.
Old 19-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Just on the accesories thing, say you buy a Fairlane for 56 including ORC, drive away, come back the following day and option it up you would avoid the luxury car tax?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Blame. There is no real benefit blaming something or someone. It's going to happen regardless.
I'll lift my hat to that statement mate. Well said.
Old 19-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #18
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Just on the accesories thing, say you buy a Fairlane for 56 including ORC, drive away, come back the following day and option it up you would avoid the luxury car tax?
Hopefully Ratt can shed some light on that one.
Old 19-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Hopefully Ratt can shed some light on that one.
You'd have to come back and do it some statutory time later (I belive it's 14 days) or as a non original purchase addition. For example, tint added afterwards would not attract the LCT but fitted prior to sale would.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard on Sky News this afternoon, they will be targeting $70k+ purchases so that does show a bit of common sense has prevailed.
Old 20-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
Ringo
I see you....

This will be a simple matter of looking or people who have purchased $70k car but then say on there tax return that their taxable income is only $35K.....

There is tax minimisation and then there is tax evasion.

---------------------------------------------------------------

At the prestige dealership I used to work at sometimes we would register the car and then fit the accesories. It depended on how many 'dealer fit' stuff was being done. It wasn't common practice.

I believed it was used at times to undercut opposition prices and get a signature on the sales contract. "We can do you a special deal" type of thing....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #22
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

LCT is one of the gov's most rediculous laws. I have friends with Toyota troop carriers that attract LCT. What a joke!! Just because you add off road accesories the gov want money!!! Thieves.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #23
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
The options where to be fitted after the fact as an extra, not as part of original invoice, so you would pay for the car invoice, then pay for the kit invoice later.
That's only if the customer specifies a seperate invoice, which really does not happen.
Old 21-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #24
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
LCT is one of the gov's most rediculous laws. I have friends with Toyota troop carriers that attract LCT. What a joke!! Just because you add off road accesories the gov want money!!! Thieves.
No commercial vehicles attract LCT, nor does the stamp duty rise once the vehicle is over $45000 (in NSW).
Old 21-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #25
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Someone please clarify if i am being dumb and stupid BUT...

...dont you pay the tax AT THE DEALER when you buy a new car over $55000 automaticaly?

Or are they refering to people who have "convinced" their dealer to not charge them tax cause they paid cashmoney? :ticking:
Old 21-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #26
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
No commercial vehicles attract LCT, nor does the stamp duty rise once the vehicle is over $45000 (in NSW).
Thats is true, but a 5 seat Troopy is not considered a commercial vehicle. There some kind of formula that the ATO applies. The number of seats compared to the amount of storage area.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #27
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Someone please clarify if i am being dumb and stupid BUT...

...dont you pay the tax AT THE DEALER when you buy a new car over $55000 automaticaly?

Or are they refering to people who have "convinced" their dealer to not charge them tax cause they paid cashmoney? :ticking:
Yes, you pay the tax at time of purchase whether you pay by cash, finance, cheque, credit card or whatever.

What they are doing is: if you have purchased a vehicle over $70K, the tax office then check your declared income to see if you can actually afford it. If your income is deemed too low, they will then take it further by way of audit etc.
Old 21-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #28
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Yes, you pay the tax at time of purchase whether you pay by cash, finance, cheque, credit card or whatever.

What they are doing is: if you have purchased a vehicle over $70K, the tax office then check your declared income to see if you can actually afford it. If your income is deemed too low, they will then take it further by way of audit etc.
Oh bloody hell......better quickly go sell the Lambo! :

Dirty rotten bastards!
Old 21-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #29
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

actually I think this has something to do with that guy that was found dead who owned that Luxury car dealership that was doing dodgy things with lambos and porsches (he owned a top of the line Cayaene thing)..

There was some way dodgy guys could launder money thought it or pay no tax by buying them. The details escape me now.

Apparently it was wide spread with hundreads and possibly many dealers involved.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #30
smooth operator
Starter Motor

After reading the above posts, I have one piece of advice. before anyone makes a decision in relation to purchasing a vehicle such as an FPV (most of these do attract luxury tax) you should seek some serious professional advise from your accountant.

I stress I would never take advise from a salesperson on such a serious matter unless I did my homework on this matter. Some sales staff struggle just specification on models, so dont rely on their limited knowledge.

Seek this information from your accountant, not your sales person. My research tells me that the threshold is $57,009 inclusive of GST and including accessories but excluding on road costs - ie registration, CTP and state stamp duty. From this point luxury tax is charged at 25%.

When a dealer is quoting vehicle he should always quote prices that include LCT and of course GST. For mine I thought is was a requirement at law to show all retail prices inclusive of GST and LCT.

If the dealer your are discussing your purchase is uncertain, find one who is fully versed. Adding accessories a week or so to your car at the dealer is not the answer. It may be considered as a contrived situation by the ATO and therefore penalties for all may be applied.

If you are not sure seek appropriate advise from a professional. It is as much your responsibility as it is the dealers. At law ignorance is not a suitable defence!
smooth operator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post