Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Parasite

Default Mk2 Focus Questions

I am looking to buy a new car in the next 6 months or thereabouts and the new Focus is high up on my test drive list at the moment.

There isn't really much information about this new model (Australian specs anyway) on the net at the moment so I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions regarding the new model.

Does anyone know the respective wheel widths for the LX (16") and Zetec (17") models? What is the Bolt Pattern and Offset of these wheels? Is it 5 x 114.3?

How much lower do the springs on the Zetec make it vs say the LX? Are there any australian manufactured aftermarket springs available for the new model yet? (eg Kings, Pedders etc)

Do all models have the Aux Input in the glovebox for an MP3 player or is this just the overseas models I have been reading about?

How many child seat anchor points are available in sedan vs hatch? Do the straps have to hook all the way to the back of the hatch in the new model?

Has anyone optioned the bodykit on theirs? How much roughly was painting?

Cheers...

Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite
I am looking to buy a new car in the next 6 months or thereabouts
Better order now then ;)

Nah, just kidding - just that I have been having MASSIVE issues with getting my Focus that was ordered 8 weeks to go..... With any luck the supply issues should have been all sorted out by then.

I can answer a few of your questions:

Quote:
Do all models have the Aux Input in the glovebox for an MP3 player or is this just the overseas models I have been reading about?
I can confirm that the CL, Zetec and Ghia have the input (I'll be REALLY annoyed if my LX is the only one without it! ;) )

Quote:
How many child seat anchor points are available in sedan vs hatch? Do the straps have to hook all the way to the back of the hatch in the new model?
By the look of it, there is one, on the back of the centre rear seat. I am pretty sure they don't hook to the back of the hatch.

Hope that helps
losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
lincoln
Blinded

Yeah, I'd look at ordering in the next two months! Especially if it's something optioned.

The previous focus attached to a seat back for the child seats. I'd be very surprised if the new focus was any different. They should also have the safer ISOFIX mounts. You should be able to get ISOFIX Australian approved seats by the end of the year.

Last edited by lincoln; 02-09-2005 at 06:37 PM.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Zetec sits 10mm lower than the 'cooking model'. Body kit is standard on Zetec.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I am looking to buy a new car in the next 6 months or thereabouts and the new Focus is high up on my test drive list at the moment.

There isn't really much information about this new model (Australian specs anyway) on the net at the moment so I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions regarding the new model.
Quote:
Does anyone know the respective wheel widths for the LX (16") and Zetec (17") models? What is the Bolt Pattern and Offset of these wheels? Is it 5 x 114.3?
Unsure about the offset but I know the Wheel width for the Zetec 17" rims is 7". Pretty sure the 16's are 6.5" wide but happy to be proven wrong.

Quote:
How much lower do the springs on the Zetec make it vs say the LX? Are there any australian manufactured aftermarket springs available for the new model yet? (eg Kings, Pedders etc)
Zetec from factory sits 10mm lower than your CL/LX models. Kinds and Pedders do springs for the previous model (LR) Focus and I am reasonably sure there is very little/no difference between LR and LS models in terms of suspension? Is this correct anybody?
You can also look at adjustable rate springs etc.

Quote:
Dont know but I doubt it.

Quote:
Not sure, never really looked for these. I would assume there are the same amount available in sedan and hatch though.

Quote:
Has anyone optioned the bodykit on theirs? How much roughly was painting?
I dont have one, but a decent painting and fitting job for the bodykit is likely to set you back around $5-600. That obviously doesnt include the price of the bodykit.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Parasite

Thanks for the replies Guys.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
owens

Confirmed that the LX has the AUX input in the glovebox.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Forest Bear

Quote:
Yep. If you're set on the Focus, order it now. 7 Weeks now and dealer still has no idea when I'm getting my Zetec. Pretty much forgotten I bought a new car. Waiting for THAT damn call.

On another note. I can't remember if the current model has a in/out thermometer? I noticed also the LCD display which presumably displays the trip computer readings between the tacho/speedo looks pretty whimpy. "Trip Computer" is listed as a feature. What functions/readings are displayed the TC?
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
owens

Yeah it does have an outside temperature, average fuel consumption and distance to empty as well as the usual tripmeter. I found it impressive. avg 6.6 L/100km over a 400km trip today which was city and country driving.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
owens

A couple of things that I have noticed about the car so far. On a course road it is fairly noisy. Not unbearable at all, but compared to smoother roads it is definitely noticable.

When you turn cruise control on (button on the left) there is nothing on the display to say that it is turned on. It's only when you set it that a light comes up on the dash. Just kinda bugs me a bit.

Handled beautifully around the bends, it really loves to hug the road. Although fifth gear is a bit sluggish when trying to accelerate when going 100, dropping it down to 4th really makes it fly.

(keep in mind all these opinions are comparing to a 2000 corolla)

Glovebox may be deep, but it's not very high. I had a small box about an inch high with 5 CDs in their cases on top and it was a tight fit in there.

Oh, my drivers seatbelt doesn't have a thing in it to stop the clip from falling down to the floor, but the passenger one does.. I'm not sure if this is standard or not.

Cheeers,
Owen.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens
Oh, my drivers seatbelt doesn't have a thing in it to stop the clip from falling down to the floor, but the passenger one does.. I'm not sure if this is standard or not.

Cheeers,
Owen.
MISBUILD - Get your Dealer to refit a new one.

All LS Focus have an AUX input in the glovebox.

All LS Focus have a trip computer with external temp display, average speed, fuel consumption, range to empty and odometer. VERY user friendly and very handy. I have a Blueprint LS Zetec manual this weekend, I'm loving it.

Zetec sits 10mm lower than the rest of the range. There are currently no aftermarket Aussie made springs, but Eibach already have lowering springs in the UK and Europe, you can even buy them from factory Ford in the UK. One day we might be luicky here... one day. When Corolla wins car of the year... :

Bodykits are not available as far as I know on Aussie Focus LS, only on old model LR. Zetec gets factory kit. I recommend MS Designs in Europe for a factory looking but gorgeous bodykit.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:07 AM   #12
Parasite

The Zetec bodykit is a $1000 option (unpainted) according to the ford.com.au website
Old 04-09-2005, 02:09 AM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

My bad. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks after all!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #14
rider007

Zetec. Can you post photos of the Zetec ?. I'd like to see the colour.
rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider007
Zetec. Can you post photos of the Zetec ?. I'd like to see the colour.
Saw someone else's silver Zetec at the dealer holding yard yesterday. It looks absolutely fab. Can't wait for mine. Only 3-4 weeks to go but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
owens

I also saw a titanium grey one the other day and it looked quite nice. They also had one tricked up with 19" alloys which looked nice but he said the ride was very bumpy.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

We also had a Ti Grey, will post photos of both in another thread and link here, I need a hot shower, I'm exhausted from the rally of Melbourne!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=16684 Apologies for the wait. Post 18 and onwards for varying angles, lights and comparisons. Not quite as vivid as some of the photos suggest, it's darker (just) than Blue Flame on the Mk I Focus.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #19
Parasite

Nice. If anyone has a pics of the interior of the Zetec, please post them up.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #20
murph
Starter Motor

Here you go......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Focus 20082005 014.jpg (63.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Focus 20082005 018.jpg (72.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Focus 20082005 022.jpg (75.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #21
Parasite

Cheers Murph. I like the seat material better than the colours in the LX.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, i sat in a Blue one yesterday..... damn that interior is NEAT! I really liked it

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post