Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Angry School Banned My Mate From Driving To School

Hey Guys,
Yes as the heading states My school has banned my mate from driving to school. The story goes as I and another mate were at my place and couldnt get to Yr11 Exams as My Mums cars battery was flat and couldnt get RACV for about 30 mins, So we called up a taxi and they said they will be 20 or 30 mins because they have gone outta town, so we called this mate who was driving to the same exam and so he came and got us, Our school (a private school), and suposvly every other school in the state has to abide by the rules that there has to have a note from a parent of the students who are getting a lift to give the the year level coordinator the day before the date of the lift for duty of care reasons.
Which we were slightly aware of but we were in casuals and it was an exam so we really didnt think they would of mind and they wouldnt of wanted us to miss our exam (and didnt perticularly care to be honest). So we rocked up at school and out popped the coordinator next to the car saying that you need a note the day before the lift and phone calls arent accepted. So we explained our story and he said that he cant drive to and from school any more what-so-ever. Mind you this mate lives 50k's out of town and wasnt to happy, but is leaving school all together next week so doesnt really mind to much. Does anyone else know about this rule or similar stories?
Thanks!

Old 22-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
Hey Guys,
Yes as the heading states My school has banned my mate from driving to school. The story goes as I and another mate were at my place and couldnt get to Yr11 Exams as My Mums cars battery was flat and couldnt get RACV for about 30 mins, So we called up a taxi and they said they will be 20 or 30 mins because they have gone outta town, so we called this mate who was driving to the same exam and so he came and got us, Our school (a private school), and suposvly every other school in the state has to abide by the rules that there has to have a note from a parent of the students who are getting a lift to give the the year level coordinator the day before the date of the lift for duty of care reasons.
Which we were slightly aware of but we were in casuals and it was an exam so we really didnt think they would of mind and they wouldnt of wanted us to miss our exam (and didnt perticularly care to be honest). So we rocked up at school and out popped the coordinator next to the car saying that you need a note the day before the lift and phone calls arent accepted. So we explained our story and he said that he cant drive to and from school any more what-so-ever. Mind you this mate lives 50k's out of town and wasnt to happy, but is leaving school all together next week so doesnt really mind to much. Does anyone else know about this rule or similar stories?
Thanks!

I'd drive there anyway. WTF are they gonna do? Oh that's right, nothing, because they can't tell you you're not allowed to drive somewhere anymore! :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 22-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

How pathetic is that... next time remind him who pays his bills....
Old 22-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

just park off school grounds, what they gonna do? tell 'em to stick it up their doozy
Old 22-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
1600GT

Quote:
but is leaving school all together next week so doesnt really mind to much
mate, there it is right there.
u have finished school now, and just an exam or 2 to go, so what are they going to do...?? suspend him?? expulsion maybe??
love to see them try that!!

and as kyro wrote, park off campus.
they can't touch him if he's not driving on school grounds.

my story...
i finished school in '92, had the usual teacher, that was actually the head-of-dept., that was hell-bent on making life hard for everyone (staff under her included), and me being one who doesn't stand for cr@p, used to give it back.
come final essay time, she held my draft copy of the essay back, claimed she never received it (when i knew she had...), and delayed telling me this until the day before the final copy due date, but decides to give me 24 hours...
so i stay up till 3 the next morn re-doing it, hand it in, and then she says "too late... u've just failed."
the folks get involved, explain the story without alot of luck, but i get an extension "in good faith".
she returns my 2nd draft copy with a million changes to be made, that most were not necessary as the changes she wanted were wrong, but i do them anyway... hand it in, then she fails it coz of the changes!! worse was she then hands me my original draft copy that she had "just found"... with a smirk on her face!!
i went nuts, and called her everything under the sun.
they tried the suspension route, but i came to school, so they tried expulsion... didnt work coz it was the last day!!
in the end, she got her's when all this went thru the education department (due to the suspension/expulsion, and other complaints from other staff i found out later) when they wanted to know more... she lost her "head-of-dept." position, and copped a demotion and a pay cut for, quote... "complete un-professionalism in this instance, and promoting an un-workable enviroment for students and fellow staff members"

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yeah thats for replies, Yeah he said that what are they going to do, they said suspend you..

Yeah there arent many places to park tho... its a big school that has a main road out the front and farm land out the back, houses on the side and a street on the other..

they have his rego so yeah if they catch him he is stuffed. And seeings though its exams if he gets suspended he might fail......

But really what can they do
Old 22-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
mate, there it is right there.
u have finished school now, and just an exam or 2 to go, so what are they going to do...?? suspend him?? expulsion maybe??
love to see them try that!!

and as kyro wrote, park off campus.
they can't touch him if he's not driving on school grounds.

my story...
i finished school in '92, had the usual teacher, that was actually the head-of-dept., that was hell-bent on making life hard for everyone (staff under her included), and me being one who doesn't stand for cr@p, used to give it back.
come final essay time, she held my draft copy of the essay back, claimed she never received it (when i knew she had...), and delayed telling me this until the day before the final copy due date, but decides to give me 24 hours...
so i stay up till 3 the next morn re-doing it, hand it in, and then she says "too late... u've just failed."
the folks get involved, explain the story without alot of luck, but i get an extension "in good faith".
she returns my 2nd draft copy with a million changes to be made, that most were not necessary as the changes she wanted were wrong, but i do them anyway... hand it in, then she fails it coz of the changes!! worse was she then hands me my original draft copy that she had "just found"... with a smirk on her face!!
i went nuts, and called her everything under the sun.
they tried the suspension route, but i came to school, so they tried expulsion... didnt work coz it was the last day!!
in the end, she got her's when all this went thru the education department (due to the suspension/expulsion, and other complaints from other staff i found out later) when they wanted to know more... she lost her "head-of-dept." position, and copped a demotion and a pay cut for, quote... "complete un-professionalism in this instance, and promoting an un-workable enviroment for students and fellow staff members"

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahaha thats gold!!
Yeah have 4 to go... But yeah they have right not to accept the exam if they are suspended that day and they still go to school, i think.

Yeah we could park off school grounds, but yeah the only road available to park is the one all the teachers drive past, but really what can they do!

Laws these days... 10 years ago you wouldnt hear such a thing!!
Old 22-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
1600GT

how about a letter of "thanks" from all of u guy's parents that he gave a lift too, saying that they really appreciate the help he gave to get u all to your exams that u would have missed otherwise, and obviously would have failed??
that way, even tho the approval is after the event, they can see that the parents are cool about it, and it puts him in a good light.

let's be honest, they'd be game to suspend him then...

*edit*
and good luck with the exams mate!!
Old 22-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Good to see how unguided the replies have been so far.

Its standard protocole at all Private schools to not allow students to bring other students to school without the school being notified.

99% of these schools also make students hand in their keys, and stop them from leaving till 15 - 30 minutes later. Its all for good reason to, usually to protect the lives of other innocent students (which maybe much younger) and have some control over what happens.

Rules are rules, and they are there to protect individuals aswell as the group.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #10
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yeah true that... But yeah he is still going to keep driving, if he gets caught il give everyone an update

And if he gets suspended he isnt going to be a happy chappy!
Old 22-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yeah true that... But yeah he is still going to keep driving, if he gets caught il give everyone an update

Its not a good time to play with heads of school if your just about finished, trust me ive seen kids get kicked out on the last day for playing up and missing out on their senior certificate.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
how about a letter of "thanks" from all of u guy's parents that he gave a lift too, saying that they really appreciate the help he gave to get u all to your exams that u would have missed otherwise, and obviously would have failed??
that way, even tho the approval is after the event, they can see that the parents are cool about it, and it puts him in a good light.

let's be honest, they'd be game to suspend him then...

*edit*
and good luck with the exams mate!!
Yep i think i need the luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia

Its standard protocole at all Private schools to not allow students to bring other students to school without the school being notified.

99% of these schools also make students hand in their keys, and stop them from leaving till 15 - 30 minutes later. Its all for good reason to, usually to protect the lives of other innocent students (which maybe much younger) and have some control over what happens.

Yeah thanks, school didnt really explain it well to us.. Folks say its a duty of care issue and the school has responcibility of the kids to get home safely, and if they have an accident the parents cant get the school in trouble for letting their kids in with a newly licenced driver... I see where they are coming from but it was our english exam and we only got told briefly once before.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
1600GT

let us know how u go too!!
Old 22-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Its not a good time to play with heads of school if your just about finished, trust me ive seen kids get kicked out on the last day for playing up and missing out on their senior certificate.
Yeah iv heard a few stories like that. Thanks for the heads up though lol.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
thats weird... over 70% of my work is in school, mainly private secondary schools, and i've witnessed many, many times students with other students in cars, let alone never having heard of handing in keys or stopping from leaving...
Yeah, and iv seen countless number of mates who get people from school who fishtail on the gravel, when they are on their p's, they cant really do anything to them, but thats another story...

Last edited by daniel_rossy; 22-11-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Quote typo
Old 22-11-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Your at school so you should already know "yes that's true" not "true that"
Old 22-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a Top Private school in Perth, we never had these rules when we were at school , thou i finished in 2001, so things have probably changed now.

Park Off school grounds, Side street or something, what i used to do then they can't really do anything, it's all getting a bit stupid really.

I still think the funniest thing, is when my mate did a standstill down the main road in front of the school right on the bell at 9am in front of the teacher and half the clarss in his old man's V8 falcon Ute. Walked into class 5 minutes late and was asked by the teacher how long he plans on keeping his license for. Looks at his watch and says " I reckon if I make it to the end of the day I will be doing all right"
Old 22-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

I went to nothing but private schools... and anyone could drive home with anyone and no keys handed in or anything like that.

If someone asked for my keys... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 22-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was this empty block that had nothing but a carport about 50 meters from the school entrance down some side street that served me well for 6 months in year 12.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #20
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:

I agree 100%

My school was diligent in making sure that other kids had written permission from their olds to travel in my car. We didn't have to hand in keys but we parked in a boom gate operated allocation that was locked at 8:45am and opened at 3:10pm..

Looking back the first time I had a full load of mates in the car the old Clevo powered XE didn't take the corner like it did travelling with just a passenger and we sailed into the gutter. In hindsight it was a rule that probably kept me and a few of my mates alive!...

Old 22-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #21
Mk II

I was banned from driving to school because i left school grounds during lunch time. I accepted it and spoke to the head of year, and he explained that all that the school was do was ban me from parking on school grounds. So I drove to a nearby side street, and then walked to school. As far as they were concerned I walked to and from school each day.

Mk II
Old 22-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #22
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Your at school so you should already know "yes that's true" not "true that"
My Bad, Excuse The Aussie Slang.
:

Green X, Yes after a think i guess it just isnt about giving a mate a lift to school, at the end of the day its about protecting the kids and the schools society. If a car load of kids crashed the school would go downhill as in the small things like students need counciling, parents may pull kids outa school, enrolments and so forth, media, and then the parents may take legal action, sue them for negligence and School would be closed, at the worst.
Old 22-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aussie slang? If it originates in the states its not aussie slang.
Old 22-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #24
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Aussie slang? If it originates in the states its not aussie slang.
word!

Old 22-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #25
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True that is yankee, lol.

I'd drive anyway, suspensions don't mean jack when you're out of school and in the real world.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Old 22-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #26
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Thanks!
They have to cover their butts in case something goes wrong etc..... they only do that now, because unfortunately something has gone wrong and folks have sued....

Do what i used to do-( I did high school in Vic, but grew up and still had one parent in QLD- and a passbook account from primary school. So, got a concession card for the local QLD high school and got my licence in QLD - at a younger age than you can in Vic.) - Park two streets down from school and all is sweet.......

Regardless, hope the exams went well - for ALL of you!

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Old 23-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #27
jonk

Actually, a schools duty of care doesn't extend past the front fence, ask a lawyer. Been there done that. Private schools are especially bad at making these stupid rules up, it's a 'facade', for the parent's benefit.

Private school I was at had some bad boy day students, who had lawyers for parents. I mean, what's a parent meant to do with a kid's new euro trash car given for his 16th just so he can get to school safely ?! It's very difficult for any school to suspend you for outside activities but the private one's seem to thrive on the power of doing it all the time...
Old 23-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #28
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

I got banned from driving to school for dragging when going to Hungry Jack's for lunch.
Just park outside the school they have no authority over what happens outside school grounds, worked for me.
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
Old 23-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #29
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

tell them to stick it, park the car there anyways, then on the last day go nuts in the carpark (i did and i still think it was the best thing i ever did in my entire schooling life, well that, and getting 2 teachers fired)

this isn't St Helena by any chance you're talking bout is it?
Old 23-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #30
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Actually, a schools duty of care doesn't extend past the front fence, ask a lawyer. Been there done that. Private schools are especially bad at making these stupid rules up, it's a 'facade', for the parent's benefit.
That would have been Helpful before.
I was Banned from Driving to my old Catholic School because I drove to Maccas with a mate after Sport had finished early. I thought they were just being stupid so I went to the higher ups and they were the same. My parents arn't Catholic or into the whole upper-class wanna be crap of Private schools so they just said Drive to school and if they give you greif they wont be getting their Bills payed

I have also heard that you cannot be subject to any punishment that your parents don't consent to. Dunno whether its true or not.
Tell the School to blow it out their or you'll get the Diocese involved and make a big deal out of it, Private schools hate Bad publicity.
Closed Thread