Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Default My VEII SV6 Review

Hi guys,
Thought I would share some views on the new VEII SV6 that I hired for a week this week. I hired through AVIS. I did request a Falcon XT, rather than a commodore or an aurion, but as usual, requests are swept aside. When I was told that they didn't have a falcon for me I asked for them to give me an XR6 then, but that is the next class up and would've cost more money so that was out. I just sucked it up and took the keys. First con, the key. I would've thought that they would've used flip keys by now, but no, they don't. So whenever I had the keys in my pocket, there was this hulking great thing attached to a tag that had the car ID info on it. Weird, but their problem, not mine seeing as though I don't own one.
Anyway, headed off to the car park to find the car. Anyhow, it turns out that they gave me a 7,000km old VEII SV6. Nice!! But hang on, isn't an SV6 the equivalent to an XR6?? Idiots!! It was that nice metallic blue, six speed auto. First impressions, very nice. I like what they have done with the new interior, except for the handbrake. It had that new touchscreen which after playing around with it, is not too bad. Hooked up my ipod easily.
Driving it, not a bad steer. Coming from my XR8, it was certainly a different beast. The auto wasn't too bad but the ZF is definitely a better gearbox. The only ZF I have driven is my brothers Turbo territory. Travelling along a freeway and a slight incline, it tends to drop back a gear or two to keep it at 110 which is very strange. My XR8 manual just eats hills up while at highway speed. It obviously lacks some low down torque for which the falcon six is well known for. Driving it in town is ok. It does need a few revs on board before it feels gutsy. I think that they are supposed to be 210kw in these? Correct me if I'm wrong. My poor old 200kw 5 litre would keep it behind but fuel economy was ok. I think it was about 10L/100km which is ok carting around 4 people for most of the trip and luggage (fifth person departed early on). The boot wasn't too bad. It sucked up five peoples luggage ok although my girlfriends turbo VW jetta is still bigger and much easier to pack. One thing that I thought was very strange was driving at night. All the interior lights are quite nice, except for that touchscreen. It doesn't dim once you put the headlights on. Consequently, it is blaringly bright and quite disctracting. I had to physically go into the menus and turn the brightness down to the minimum setting so that I could concentrate on not hitting any roos or other wildlife in the area where we were driving.
So, in conclusion, would I buy one, on exterior looks, no. The falcon still looks much nicer. On inside asthetics, yes. I didn't mind the inside colour combos or the layout. Seats weren't too bad to sit in. Don't get me wrong, I think the current FG is nice, I would still take one with the upspecced interior, and it will be very interesting to see what happens with FG2.
Poke your head into one next time you have the opportunity. Not too bad, as much as it hurts for me to admit it!! ;-) If I think of anything else I will add it.
Cheers.
Leon

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Default Re: My VEII SV6 Review

Mate, I think there's nothing wrong with liking the VEII. I would prefer FG XR6 over the SIDI SV6 but that doesn't mean SIDI SV6 is a bad car. They are nice cars but not as nice as FGs.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
RAPID_BA
Banned

Would the sv6 run away from a falcon 6?

210kw cant be too bad?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

210kw cant be too bad?
Wheels and Motor both had different results on that one. One up, Motor found the SV6 about 1/10th quicker than the XR6. Two up, Wheels found that the XR6 was 2/10ths quicker. That is the TORQUE of the I6 FG over the SIDI 3.6 which is hugely superior in both delivery and output.

With 5 on board, the SV6 would be that far behind the XR6 it wouldn't be funny. Actually it would be for us Ford fans!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA

210kw cant be too bad?
the sv6 is very competitive against the FG.

traditionally, holdens peak power is developed quite high in the revs and they lack torque.

fg falcon develops 205kw?? on 98 fuel and quite a bit more torque.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

Yeah, look, the torque thing is a lost cause with a lot of drivers. Personally, I like having the low down torque and it was quite noticeable that the SIDI V6 needed a few revs on board before it started to go. It wasn't bad by no means, but yes, the falcon six has the torque advantage. By virtue of it changing a couple of gears going up slight incline out on the highway, certainly lends itself to a lack of torque down low. Its just what people are used to I guess. I also reckon that if the falcon does get a V6 down the road, then the low down torque of our aussie six will be missed. Real shame but that is just change and unfortunately, we have to go along with it.

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
RAPID_BA
Banned

We might like the low down torque and
Nice in a manual not needing to change gears as
Often
But in a auto? If it masks the missing torque by changing down a few gears, so be it?
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
NAFairlane

I am a technician for a Holden service department so i drive them all the time in all sorts of spec and i have to be honest they are a really nice car, i'd still buy an FG over one but i'd have to consider an SSV redline too.

Oh and you can get a flip key for the VE, standard on Calais and SSV and higher, $300 option on everything else. Oh and they have a habit of falling apart over time.
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
CANFRY
Ba xr6

one of my mates has a 2010 fg xr6 ute (6speed manual)
and another has a 2010 ve sv6 (6speed manual)
and honiestly as much as i love fords,the ve leaves it for dead
but i cant stand the holden 6 speed gearbox
CANFRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 6 speed box in the commy hides the torque deficit a fair bit until you hit a hill, but they are both very good cars, and very under estimated compared to over sea`s cars imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yep as far as ive seen the commie is a couple a tenthe quicker with its high revving package. Although it has a worse fuel consumption...gearboxes and weighs a few kilos more. Wouldnt personally like to drive one working hard pulling some weight...no thanks.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post