Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
BLAKLISTED

Default insurance question for a young enthusiast

Well, of late I have not been sleeping well. I have been either tossing and turning thinking about supercharging my ute, or up late researching it on these forums. :

I want one. I have my reasons and the money. But there is one thing holding me back and that is of course insurance.

I've not talked to my current provider yet (suncorp) but I guess I know what they are going to say. A 23 year old + supercharger = get stuffed. They were the reason I didn't get an xr8 to begin with as they wouldn't ensure me due to my age.

I see lots of other guys getting around with stunning, quick rides and many don't seem much older than I am. I guess I'm wondering whats the secret? I don't really want to change from suncorp because I can't fault them, they've been good. I'm just interested in those under 25's willing to share how they manage to own and insure sweet rides and at what price?

MODS: 2.5 PEX EXHAUST, PACEMAKER 4490 EXTRACTORS, F6 LOWER INTAKE, XR6 TURBO UPPER INTAKE, 19" GT-P WHEELS, LOWERED 2".

NOW SOLD. BRING ON THE T/8!
BLAKLISTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
FPV GT40
Banned

Simple, most drive without insurance.

Not something I would recommend though, can get very expensive.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKLISTED
Well, of late I have not been sleeping well. I have been either tossing and turning thinking about supercharging my ute, or up late researching it on these forums. :

I want one. I have my reasons and the money. But there is one thing holding me back and that is of course insurance.

I've not talked to my current provider yet (suncorp) but I guess I know what they are going to say. A 23 year old + supercharger = get stuffed. They were the reason I didn't get an xr8 to begin with as they wouldn't ensure me due to my age.

I see lots of other guys getting around with stunning, quick rides and many don't seem much older than I am. I guess I'm wondering whats the secret? I don't really want to change from suncorp because I can't fault them, they've been good. I'm just interested in those under 25's willing to share how they manage to own and insure sweet rides and at what price?
going to have to say

if you have the reasons and the money then you wouldnt be worrying about insurance. because the cost of that should be included when saying you have the money (not just the cost of the kit itself).

not saying dont get insurance or a charger.

but call around some companys and get some figures.

never drive without insurance. all well and good to drive a nice quick car. not well and good to be paying for that for another 10 years because ou didnt pay insurance

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Simple, most drive without insurance.

Not something I would recommend though, can get very expensive.
*raises hand* "guilty" or at least I was For an extended period of time
Thankfully I have never hit anything and the favor was returned.

you dont hear it much but one of the best times to be insured is when some 1 hits you.

If you want a beast and insurance you may have to buy 2 cars.
Old 22-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
BLAKLISTED

Yeah, i've considered a daily and then having a project on the side but not now, might have a crack at doing that later down the track. I have included the price of insurance in my s/c budget, the problem lies in the insurance company not ensuring me at all. That they see my young age/lack of experience _ and regard me as too much of a risk for them to ensure myself and my supercharged car.

And having no insurance is out of the question. Knowing my luck, the day my insurance runs out will be the day of my first prang!

MODS: 2.5 PEX EXHAUST, PACEMAKER 4490 EXTRACTORS, F6 LOWER INTAKE, XR6 TURBO UPPER INTAKE, 19" GT-P WHEELS, LOWERED 2".

Old 22-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think it depends on if your on your ps or not?

My wife is on her Green P's but is 24. This stopped me getting a v8. I had huge difference in costs for the xr6. AAMI turned out to be the best at $700. NRMA was at $1800. Others would not even bother.

AAMI will insure you as long as your legaly aloud to drive it. modded or not. Same when I had a high modded 4wd. They were happy as long as mods were legit. Had engineers cert for all mods.

Do the ring around and im sure you will find somone.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
BLAKLISTED

thanks macca. I need to find out and do a ring a round first, which I will do today if i get time at work. I guess i'm just ranting, I don't hold much hope as insurance wouldn't bother with me and a v8 at the time of buying my first new car.

Old 22-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try Just car Insurance or shannons.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I can tell you as an under 25 male wait the 2 years its simply just not worth it.

But if you MUST RACV/RACQ etc will insure anything that legal and so will most other companies as long as its legal but think 50% of car value plus........

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

your seriously being that loyal to suncorp that you didnt buy a xr8 because of them and now you dont want to get a supercharger because of them?? I bank with them myself and they are great but if I ever needed something they didnt provide I wouldn't hesitate in shopping around.
I had to go from racq to just cars because racq didn't approve of my mods because I had more than 3 so i shopped around and got what I wanted. I was a bit the same with them as you are with Suncorp, they had been great and I didnt want to go elsewhere, but at the end of the day I wasn't letting them stop me from what I wanted... just my opinion anyway

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

RACQ will not touch you.

Just Car is pretty much your only option. Be prepared to pay for it though. Might be worth giving Shannons a try too.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the money, go for it. Insurance is a ripoff and you can't really justify it other than you pay to play.

Just Cars will insure anyone so long as you got the dollars.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isnt any insurance you get void unless you have your boosted car engineered?
everything ive heard is that they will approve your turbo or supercharger but when it comes to crash time they tell you youre not covered
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had some nice/quick cars when I was young. I had them insured in my parents name with me down as a driver on the policy. Otherwise I was looking at $5000/year for insurance.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I had some nice/quick cars when I was young. I had them insured in my parents name with me down as a driver on the policy. Otherwise I was looking at $5000/year for insurance.

Right on the money. That's what I did when I bought my car and was living with my parents. I just made a deal that it will be under their name, but with me as one of the drivers and it came out much cheaper. I just gave my parents the insurance money, they used it to pay it, and that was the deal. Worked out fine.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #16
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

call shannons i have my 2 cars and the missus's car car insured with them all full comp and its just over 1k and we have a AU XR6, TJ AWD Magna and a XD 351 4spd and we only 23. THere house and house and contents ins is a good price to.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Ok this is a timely thread for me as well.
I'm 24 and am insured with justcars.
No claims etc.

I got them to jack up my excess to lower my premium.
eg. $2k & the usual, under 25= + $600.
My premium is now at $995.
I drive my ute, MAYBE once a week these days and I can't justify the risk I'm taking regarding my excess if I happen to park it into a tree or another car.

It was suggested that I try Rhyno, Shannons and another specialty mob, but they all turn me down due to my age.
I don't understand how a 22 y.o friend of mine managed to insure with Shannons by telling them he is part of a car club (isn't) and a mechanic.

What are you guys paying p.a at my age & vehicle type, and who are you with?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rang up Shannons and they didn't want to know as soon as I told them what car I drove, my age, and that I wasn't in a car club. Seems it really differs between people.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
sfr rob

Wow!
Just got off the phone to Shannons again and I'm very impressed!
Agreed value: $40k
$1100 premium.
$900 excess, based on the fact that I rarely use the vehicle, and my age taken into consideration.
Bonus is the pay by the month deal they have at no extra cost.

Apparently they would have given me the nod a couple of years ago had the sales person included some important facts!!!
Old 26-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #20
xtreme
V8 Addict

i have a 68 XT with a V8. when i was 18, i called 18 insurance companies for quotes. only 3 would touch me. AAMI, GIO and Shannons. AAMI and GIO made it not worth it due to such ridiculous premiums, and shannons was dirt cheap, and very good. i just turned 24, and have a BA GT insured too, and it is still cheap...

I rave about shannons. i now have 4 cars, my house, contents, and dirt bike insured with them. i cant fault them at all. I have never recieved a cheaper quote for anything.

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #21
xtreme
V8 Addict

i should add, shannons will only touch you if you are a member in a club, or they consider you an enthusiast. this may include racing go-karts, motorbikes, cars, or that you have restored a car. It differs from person to person. sometimes they allow people, and other times they turn them down. but if you sound like you know a lot aobut cars, it should be fine

My Collection:

The WEEKENDER:
1968 XT Fairmont (GT rep) - 351 clevo, pacemakers, 2.5" twin system, C10 auto, 2500 Hi-Stall, 3.45:1 LSD, 198 rwkw

The DAILY:
2003 BA GT, Citric Acid, exhaust, headers, cold air intake, 248 rwkw
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
sfr rob

It might pay for me to enquire about my house insurance as well then!
Old 26-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XR8's insurance recently came up again and I decided to shop around a bit. I was with just car insurance for 5 years and was happy but changes to the policy meant that my car was only insured for up to $26K with excess coming in at around $3K!

I rang a heap of companies and ended up taking out a policy with the RACV as they insured my car for $28K with excess coming in a $900.

I'm 23, rating 1 and own a mildly moded BF XR8.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #24
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If you visit any car event's, shows you'll notice the majority of them have a Shannon's stand. This is usually the best time to approach them for the best deal. Just keep in mind Shannon's will only look after you if you have a goods insurance history otherwise their pricing will be prohibitive.

If possible, do your best to avoid Just Cars/AAMI (same thing), there is more to having an insurance policy then just paying a premium. Hopefully none of you have had quality issues from their "Approved Panel Beaters".

I would highly recommend Shannons so long as you yourself beleive your a goods risk. If you haven't disclosed any required information to them and you have a very expensive at fault claim, expect to be left with the bill.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #25
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

i have a T3 TE50 with all options, and shannons/aami doesnt want to know me, its insured in my name with racv. excess i jacked upto $2000 and insurance is $1500 for me. ohh btw im 21
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

When I was going to turbo my AU, I rang Just car insurance, and the premium was $100 LESS per year than what I was already paying.
Work that one out.
Ring around, you may be suprised.