Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #211
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

Speaking of manuals.
A mate of mine had a 5sp manual optioned EL Futura, we all drooled over it back then (none of us could afford an XR falcon of any type, or even the Futura he had) His Futura was just kool as muck. Had an LSD fitted also.

Edit- when we were all p platers i mean, so a while back
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 07-01-2024 at 06:22 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 06:38 PM   #212
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Speaking of manuals.
A mate of mine had a 5sp manual optioned EL Futura, we all drooled over it back then (none of us could afford an XR falcon of any type, or even the Futura he had) His Futura was just kool as muck. Had an LSD fitted also.

Edit- when we were all p platers i mean, so a while back
Oh man that is cool. Reminds me to get off my lazy bum and install the T5 in my own Futura.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #213
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The PX Ranger.

(I was shocked to discover that I have over 300 images of the PX Ranger, so this will need to be spread out over multiple posts.)

The PK Ranger lagged behind rivals from Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan in several ways. It was the oldest product in the segment and noticeably smaller inside and out, making it almost petite looking against newer, flashier rivals. As such, sales lagged behind the segment leaders, even with aggressive run-out pricing which which had an XLT at $38K, or a Wildtrak for $45K. With the market for this type of vehicle booming, Ford had high expectations for the new Ranger.

The all-new PX series Ranger arrived in 2011 and instantly made an impact! And it was truly an all-new model, with very little from the outgoing Mazda-based PK Ranger remaining. Where once Mazda took the lead for this joint venture, with the PX Ranger, Ford were in control. As a result, the T6 platform was designed and engineered in Australia. Stylistically, Ford and Mazda worked side-by-side in Australia, with only the roof, glass and interior door panels being common between the two. While Ford had the engineering lead, Mazda and Ford ran separate development programmes. The result was two different looking vehicles on the inside and out, but with shared mechanicals and built in the same Thailand factories.

Two things stood out to me at the time, the Ranger was no longer the runt in the pack, being noticeably bigger than all key rivals, the Triton in particular. And secondly, the added meat in the chassis legs compared to the anorexic looking predecessor and all its rivals. It’s both of those aspects that explain why the PX Ranger weighs so much. BUILT FORD TUFF and all that.

In addition to all new body work, all new interior, all new chassis, the PX brought a new range of engines to the Ranger. Granted, those engines were used elsewhere in the Ford universe, however their appearance jolted the Ranger to the top of the class for performance. Petrol power returned to the Ranger in the form of the Duratec 2.3 petrol engine, only offered on the XL single cab. The 2.2 Duratorq diesel from the Transit was more powerful than the older 2.5 in the PK. But it was the 3.2 five-cylinder diesel that got all the attention. Not only was it the most powerful in its segment, but the five-cylinder layout gave the Ranger a real point of difference over its rivals. I remember my first drive of one and thought wow, it’s got some torque! And no, this was NOT a Volvo or Mercedes engine as many to this day assume. The petrol 4-cylinder was only offered with the carry over 5-speed manual, the two diesels could be had with the Getrag MT-82 6 speed manual or the Ford-GM 6R80 6-speed automatic.

Another point of difference the Ranger had over the competition was the locally designed and engineered chassis. While you would never call a Ranger a svelt corner carver, it was obvious the chassis was tuned by the same guys who setup Falcon’s and Territories. This was most evident in the steering and settled nature of rougher pavement.

Safety was also a focus of the PX Ranger. Along with the bigger, stronger body and chassis, modern electronic driver aids such as ABS, traction and stability control were now being taken seriously. As were side and curtain airbags.

The PX model lineup mirrored the outgoing PK in offering single, super-cab and dual cab body styles and either tub or cab chassis configurations. XL, XLT and Wildtrak comprised the original lineup, with a mid-spec XLS and mining spec XL Plus added to the range at a later date.

Before the PX Ranger arrived, the Hilux, Triton and Navara ruled this segment, even the BT-50 outsold the Ranger. But with PX, Ford went from strength to strength, customers being won over by the beefy styling, robust mechanicals and the best chassis in the segment. Slowly but surely, the Ranger approached and then eclipsed its rivals, Nissan in particular taking the biggest hit. Ranger then became second best selling vehicle in the country until to last year, where it took the top spot from the Hilux. As a Ford man, I guess that’s something to crow about. But considering how it the T6 Ranger platform was designed and engineered in Australia and sold all over the world, I think its something Aussies should be proud of in general.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 09:04 PM   #214
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

PX Ranger continued, interior.................

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:07 PM   #215
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued.....................

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:12 PM   #216
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued, XL....................

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:14 PM   #217
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued, XL and XL Plus...............

This was the XL Plus, which was added to the range after the initial launch. It was aimed at heavy duty fleet and mining companies. It featured unpainted front and rear bumpers, canvas seat covers.............

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:17 PM   #218
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued, XLT.................

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:18 PM   #219
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued, XLT, Wildtrak and XLS...............

XLS arrived later into the PX run, based on the XL but adding carpet flooring, silver grill, black bezel headlights and alloy wheels.

Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2024, 09:19 PM   #220
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX Ranger continued, models and colours...............

Mustang GT

Old 08-01-2024, 01:16 PM   #221
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PX Was the turning point for Ranger, and Ford Australia in general. PK was OK (my dad had an XLT Dual Cab 4x4 new from 2010 - 2018) but you wouldnt call it a "market leader". PX changed all that as PX, and now "Next Gen" are still the market leader for dual cabs. For me it reminded me that when given the right budget, how good Ford AU really could be. In my opinion at least...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2024, 06:43 PM   #222
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The PX MK II Ranger.

With the release of the PX MK II Ranger, Ford went for the jugular! Even though the Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Holden had responded with new models, the outgoing PX Ranger was still easily the best in class. Ford didn't sit still though, releasing the comprehensive PX MK II update in 2015. In fact, Ford went even further than they needed, to the point where it made the all-new rivals look silly.

The exterior styling was revamped from the A pillar forward and included a new hood, front quarter panels, headlights, grill and bumpers. The rear was largely un-changed. All bar the base XL got new wheels.

The interior was noticeably different too. Rather than a superficial alteration of trim and fabrics, there was a whole new dashboard and central stack, a new steering wheel and a semi-digital gauge cluster for high series models. Entry level models continued with the basic Sync 1 system, but the XLT and Wildtrak got the then current Sync 2 system with a colour touch screen.

Mechanically, there were a couple of key changes. First being the transition to electric power steering, which really transformed the way these cars drove. I remember driving a PX back-to-back with a PX MK II, the electric steering made the later model feel lighter and more agile than the outgoing hydraulic setup.

The second change being the introduction of the next generation 2.0 Bi-Turbo diesel engine, teamed with the 10-speed automatic. While the 2.2 and 3.2 engines continued, the 2.0 Bi-Turbo was sold as a premium engine option for XLT and Wildtrak customers who favored refinement over the lazy torque of the 3.2. Having driven both, I liked how the 3.2 sounded under heavy acceleration, but the Bi-Turbo was more pleasant to live with.

For the PX MK II, Ford dropped the 2.3 petrol in the XL single cab due to lack of interest. If Ford actually bothered to promote the 2.3 as a Hilux Workmate competitor, they may have sold more, but they were, and still are, focused on the more profitable XLT and Wildtrak models. News flash Ford, not everyone needs a dual cab, or wants to buy a Toyota.

It's interesting to note that none of the changes brought to the Ranger appeared on the Mazda BT-50 counterpart. Sales of the BT-50 didn't explode like the PX Ranger did, with the styling playing a large roll in that. As sales dwindled, Mazda just didn't have the money to splash on the BT-50. Yes, there was a mild facelift along the way, but that was actually a dealer fitted cladding for the front bumper and not a factory effort. It's also around this time when Ford took priority at the Ford-Mazda factory in Thailand, further limiting volume for Mazda.

With the release of the PX MK II, I finally felt the need to update my PK Ranger. I actually didn't like the original PX frontal design, in fact I felt it was a backward step compared to the PK. In particular, the headlights looked saggy to my eyes. With the PX MK II, the "Built Ford Tough" thing returned, I especially loved the contoured hood and angry looking black bezel headlights on the XL.

At the time, we actually had both in the family, mine a PX MK II XL Cab Chassis, and my father's a PX XLT 3.2 Supercab. The new interior was much nicer to use with superior control layout, and the steering vastly better to live with. The turning circle was still noticeably crap.

Mustang GT

Old 08-01-2024, 06:46 PM   #223
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX MK II continued.................

Mustang GT

Old 08-01-2024, 07:17 PM   #224
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The PX MK II Ranger Raptor.

I remember the anticipation surrounding the arrival of the Ranger Raptor. Not only for the rough and tough look and ability, but the expectation of a killer engine. But.......................

Instead of the rumored EcoBoost 2.3 4-cylinder, a EcoBoost V6, or even a Coyote V8, we got...............a 2.0 four-cylinder diesel with 157 kW and 500 Nm. I remember the shock and disbelief the day the Raptor was unveiled, many thinking that it was surely a joke. But no, the mighty Raptor got an engine that didn't meet the expectations implied by the bulky styling. To compound the issue, the same powertrain could be had for noticeably less money in the XLT and Wildtrak.

The lack of a fire breathing engine is what most people focused on instead of the overall package. I say that because there were some really cool changes to the Ranger to arrive at the Raptor. Chief of those being the coil sprung rear axle and fancy fox shocks. The biggest benefit of the Raptor's new suspension was the ride quality, which was vastly superior to its leaf sprung stablemates. You also got rear disk brakes, a funky steering wheel and seats, while the big tyres and the pumped-out guards looked tough.

Despite the lack of engine prowess, the Raptor sold more than some expected. Having driven one, I would say the Bi-Turbo and 10-speed auto was ok but hardly inspiring, however it did get up and go with acceptable poke. But the best bit was the way it wafted over lumps and bumps in the road.

I think the first Ranger Raptor as much as anything provided proof of concept for Ford to go nuts with the next generation. Which it certainly did.

Mustang GT

Old 08-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #225
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Sadly the Falcon replacement does nothing for me anymore.....
Glad for Ford kicking some goals but I'm over these yoots, once upon a time you'd jizz over lowered yoots and nice wheel combos now completely the opposite.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2024, 09:33 PM   #226
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Glad for Ford kicking some goals but I'm over these yoots, once upon a time you'd jizz over lowered yoots and nice wheel combos now completely the opposite.
Yeah, the whole dual cab thing doesn't excite me either.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2024, 11:15 PM   #227
ToryMikey

Quote:
Hear hear.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #228
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only just came across this thread - great work DFB!

Anything on the BA or BF F6 Typhoons? Haha
FPV414 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2024, 11:04 AM   #229
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post

yep thats a good question I'm also waiting on Sprints
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2024, 08:12 PM   #230
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414

Quote:
yep thats a good question I'm also waiting on Sprints
Both of those I want to do in sequence. No specific reason why I want it like this, other than its the way my mind works best.

I'll focus on the BA MK II range in general next, expanding to the FPV lineup after the rest of the range.

FG-X and Sprint a bit further down the track.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2024, 08:28 PM   #231
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

To wrap up the Ranger series, the PX MK III.

With Ranger now in full swing, the MK III update was more about refining the package and keeping it fresh as the competition started throwing darts at the board.

The main stylistic change was a revised front grill and bumper. Thankfully, this meant the large swath of plastic chrome on the XLT disappeared. I like a chrome as a highlight, but not as a visual domineering element like it was on PX MK II. Most models except XL and XLS got new wheel designs.

To help reduce the effort required to lift and lower, there was also a new assisted tailgate on tub models. Apart from that and some minor equipment changes, it was business as usual.

PX MK II also introduced Sport trim level that was rolled out here and there, the blacked out treatment proving popular with buyers.

Mustang GT

Old 11-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #232
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

PX MK III continued....................

Mustang GT

Old 12-01-2024, 07:54 PM   #233
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The BA MK II Falcon.

(I thought this segment would have been a quick one, but I soon realized there was way more to say on this model than I remembered. As such, this is a lengthy post.)

This was an extremely busy period for Ford as a brand. Not only was the Falcon once again flying high, but the all-important Territory had also finally hit the market. As such, the Broadmeadows factory was running overtime attempting to keep up. I remember the concern at the time was getting the daily production rate as high as possible, the plant was at full capacity, with weekend overtime shifts also employed!!! And oh how sad it was in the end when even 80 cars a day was too much. Combine that with multiple all-new models arriving and success on the racetrack via Marcos Ambrose, Ford had lot going on! After enduring the AU years, Ford fans had a lot to be proud and excited about, it was certainly an exciting time.

Launched in October 2004, two years after the BA launched, the BA MK II Falcon was all about maintaining the momentum. The whole theme around the BA MK II was the number 6, with both the official press release and TV ad made reference to this. Because for the most part, the biggest change was the introduction of a new 6-speed manual transmission.

“Six Degrees Of Separation For New Falcon
Monday, August 2, 2004

A stunning new six-speed manual transmission in the XR6 Turbo and XR8 performance vehicles heads a list of changes for the new Ford Falcon due in October.”

Available on the XR6 Turbo, where it replaced the old T5, and all Boss V8 models to replace the Tremec T45, this new Tremec T56 6-speed manual was keenly anticipated. The T56 in the Holden application was panned for its moonshot gearing and rubbery feel, mainly because Holden went cheap in selecting the truck version of the gearbox.

Ford on the other hand put quite a bit more effort into adapting the T56 for the Falcon application. Ford created unique gear sets between the 6 cylinder and V8 engine engines, and there was double synchromesh on all forward gears. Combined, they delivered a much more appropriate result for performance orientated driving. In addition to this, the final drive ratio for the XR8 changed from 3.23 to 3.46, while the XR6 Turbo was shortened from 3.46 to 3.73. Meanwhile, there were new clutch housings and a new gearbox crossmember.

From the press release -

“Drivers will appreciate the improved feel, while still having a gearbox that offers tractable performance through all gears at typical driving speeds.

“Fifth gear is well suited to the 60km/h speed limit and sixth gear pulls strongly below 100km/h offering peace of mind motoring. The close ratios in the new gearbox make it easy to select the right gear for the right occasion.”

“Barfield confirmed the transmission would come with a unique gear set for both the XR6 Turbo and XR8, designed to match each engines unique performance characteristics.”

“Ford and the Premier Automotive group have a distinguished history employing the T56 six speed transmissions, which features on products such as the Mustang Cobra R and the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish.”

“Drawing on that experience has helped in providing a transmission that further accentuates the sporting nature of the XR6 Turbo and XR8 while providing outstanding shift quality and performance feel......”

For BA MK II XR8, Ford also added firmer front spring rates to sharpen steering response and improve body control.

At the time, Ford also leveraged the Falcon’s technology advantages in marketing and sales information -

- First Australian manufactured vehicle with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
- First Australian manufactured vehicle with anti-intrusion brake pedal
- First Australian manufactured vehicle with power adjustable pedals
- First Australian manufactured vehicle with dual stage inflatable airbags
- First Australian manufactured vehicle with on-screen antenna
- First Australian manufactured vehicle with optional pollen filter

The MK II featured a refreshed colour palette, continuing the theme started with the BA Falcon by offering vibrant colours. Shockwave, Velocity Blue and Rapid Yellow being the new hero colours -

“Shockwave is inspired by the BA Falcons successes on the track, adding a wave of uninhibited excitement to the athletic exterior of the Falcon, while Blaze is a rich metallic gold that is bold and daring.”

“Velocity is a youthful blue epitomizing standout performance and enhances the sporting nature of the XR range, while Rapid is a searing hot yellow not for the faint hearted.

Additional changes for BA MK II included –

- Automatic headlamps for XT, Futura, XR, XL, RTV & XLS Utes
- Cruise control now standard on XT
- Power adjustable pedals now standard on Futura and Fairmont
- Alloy pedals and Illuminated window controls now standard on XR
- New gear knob for 6-speed manual vehicles
- Woodgrain sports steering wheel and woodgrain gear shifter for Fairmont Ghia
- Rear power windows for XR6 sedan
- Central armrest for all XR sedans, new cup holder for XR models
- Variable dwell windscreen wipers for XL & RTV.
- New wheel covers for XT, new 17-inch wheels for XR and Fairmont Ghia
- Body colour side moldings and side skirts now standard on XLS Ute
- Traction control now standard on Futura and XR6, now optional on XT sedan
- Side airbags now standard on Futura
- Second remote key fob for XL, XLS and RTV models
- 1 Tonne suspension standard on XLS C/C

It’s also worth noting that Ford were making running changes to the Falcon between the initial launch in 2002 and the BA MK II’s arrival in 2004. For example, in September 2003, there was a revised rear bumper and tail light assembly for SSB Utes. At the same time, cornering lamps replaced fog lamps on Fairmont Ghia, while Fairlane Ghia, Fairlane G200 and LTD gained cornering lamps. (That was an ADR enforced change, not on Ford whim). In late 2003/early 2004, Tango Tan Leather trim became optional on Fairmont Ghia. In March 2004, the XR8 gained 18-inch alloys and prestige sound. In June 2004, there was a new front cup holder on XT, Futura, XL and XLS……….probably because Ford were having to warranty so many broken clips on the original design. And at some point, the Wagon lost the external tailgate key slot.

The big introduction during that period was the April 2004 introduction of the Sports Leather option for the XR range. Offering a combination of leather and suede-like material with exterior colour matched stitching, the Sports Leather could be had as a standalone option or combined within the new XR Luxury Pack. That package combined the new seat trims with dual zone climate control, premium sound with colour TFT screen, auto headlamps (pre-BA MK II) and an analogue clock. This new seat trim joined the existing choice of cloth trim and full leather trim. This would have been one of the most customizable Falcon’s in decades.

Imagine this, on say, an XR6 Turbo –

- Choice of 2 wheel designs
- Choice of 2 brake systems
- Choice of 5 steering wheels (standard XR, Momo in red/blue/grey, FPV style)
- Choice of up to 15 different interior trim treatments! (exterior colour dependent). That’s 1 in full leather, 7 cloth trims and 7 Sports Leather/Suede trims. Just think of the complexity to offer all of that!!
- Choice of 16 exterior colours (model dependent)

And just think for a second what consumers are offered on any given make or model today. Oh, you can have black on black, or black on black, or black on black. I hate this about the modern car industry, very few car companies have the balls to allow this sort of personalization. Sure, if you have the cash to splash on a luxury car, you can play a little, but not to the same extent Ford allowed on BA through BF MK II Falcons, let alone at that price point. I guess that’s progress.

Full Leather Trim -

Sports Leather (and Luxury Pack) -

Notice the screw ups in this image! The tacho/fuel/temp gauges are green backlit, the speedo blue.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2024, 08:07 PM   #234
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

BA MK II continued....................

2005 marked the 45th anniversary of the Falcon, this is the only shot I have of the occasion, so sorry about the size.

This was the relatively rare Tango Tan trim offered on Fairmont Ghia. I loved this colour treatment, sadly, most chose black.

The Falcon SR made another return to the lineup as an SVP based on the XT sedan, no wagon was offered this time. The pack included 17'' alloys, sports body kit & spoiler, automatic transmission, sports control blade suspension, rear power windows, "designer sports trim", 6 stack CD prestige sound and a XR leather steering wheel. The SR was offered in 2004 and 2005 as separate runs based on BA and BA MK II models. My critique, why couldn't they have spent the extra $10 to paint the side protection moldings and mirror caps to match!

I had one of those blue Momo steering wheels on our Futura.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2024, 08:11 PM   #235
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

B series didnt do much for me.
But from the falcon range a lux pack optioned/premium brakes/leather trim/momo wheel/sunroof/18 inch wheels/6sp manual XR6T in white would do me!

I agree re the choices so many to pick from in the B Series range, mind boggling.

One thing that i wished they'd done, was have the 6T in a Fairmont Ghia.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2024, 09:01 PM   #236
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
But from the falcon range a lux pack optioned/premium brakes/leather trim/momo wheel/sunroof/18 inch wheels/6sp manual XR6T in white would do me!

I agree re the choices so many to pick from in the B Series range, mind boggling.

There was certainly interest shown from both customers and the media for a Fairmont Ghia Turbo. I would guess having invested in the 3V V8 in the range, they probably didn't want to syphoned sales away from it. I think at the time the I6T would have been seen as out of character for the Fairmont Ghia, which I guess also was shown by Ford dropping the name for FG.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2024, 12:15 AM   #237
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Force 6 was as close as B series got to a Ghia turbo I reckon.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2024, 09:23 AM   #238
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Especially the BF11

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #239
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The momentum Ford Australia had from 2002 to 2005 was just insane, and these photos really show his they ****ed it all away. They could barely make enough cars to sell, Falcon was winning on the race track, Territory was winning just about every award it could. Nothing would have saved local manufacturing, but I wonder how Falcon would have gone if FG was released at the same time as VE. The two year head start they gave Holden really hurt.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2024, 08:12 PM   #240
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The BA MK II FPV Range.

Launched in tandem with the rest of the BA MK II update, the FPV range arrived with a surprise or two. While most of the range was a subtle massaging of specs and stripe designs, the big news was the launch of the F6 Typhoon and F6 Tornado.

While Tickford, which morphed into FPV, developed the Barra 240T engine for use in the XR6 Turbo, an FPV spec variant was notable in its absence. The BA MK II update rectified that absence!

(The XR6 Turbo was originally intended to be a Tickford model, there was an image in the November 2002 edition of Motor magazine showing a prototype sporting Tickford branded dials.)

The reality was, Ford and FPV needed the new 6-speed manual transmission to make the F6 models possible. The old T5 was already beyond its torque limit with the Barra 240T, an even more potent FPV version would have destroyed it before it drove off the line. It’s for this reason why the Barra 240T only made 450 Nm, it was held back to protect the T5 and BTR 4-speed auto. And it’s the same reason why there was no automatic F6 models until the BF arrived with the new 6-speed auto. Just look at the BF performance numbers for the I6T, power only went to 245 kW (+5), while torque went to 480 Nm (+30).

For the most part, the F6 models followed similar spec levels to the GT and Pursuit. To differentiate the F6 Typhoon and Tornado from the V8 powered range, there was specific grill inserts on the front bumper, the single blade lower splitter (GT-P spec), a specific fog lamp treatment, and unique 18-inch wheels. On the inside, both cloth and leather were offered in what FPV called F6 Tecknik, a geometric type of arrangement that echoed the grill mesh design. Introduced across the range, the new auxiliary gauges for the F6 showed boost pressure and oil pressure (V8’s had oil pressure and oil temperature). Stripes and the V8 hood did not carry to the F6 models.

Mechanically, the F6 engine produced 270 kW at 5250 rpm and 550 Nm between 2000 and 4250 rpm, at the time the most torque produced by an Australian car.

David Flint, from the F6 press release (which I will post in full in a following post) –

"The fact that it produces the highest torque output of any production engine ever built in Australia is a clear signal that FPV is forging ahead as the powerhouse of Australian performance cars…….”

The new performance numbers were achieved by improving the efficiency of cooling and induction of the engine. There was a 50 per cent larger air-to-air intercooler and a dual air intake system that significantly reduced intake pressure into the turbo. The PCM calibration was changed to increase torque at low engine speeds. FPV also added high-strength conrods, heavy-duty valve springs and an oil cooler. To disguise the F6-270 engine from the XR6 Turbo’s Barra 240T, the FPV version got a blue rocker cover, FPV badge and specific F6 branded airbox trim.

The F6 models used the standard FPV branded brakes, while Brembo’s were an expensive cost option.

To handle that torque, FPV decided to use a AP Racing twin-plate, apparently the only Australian built car with such an arrangement. This was ultimately a huge PR disaster in the making, early cars had problems with the clutch, a specific resonance vibration causing a $2.00 clip to fail and cause the clutch to slip or not allow gear engagement. FPV initially denied the issue, blaming abusive journalists. In the end, testing revealed that there in fact was a problem, which was sorted within a few weeks. Sadly, this sort of dampened F6 sales until the BF launched. I do wonder if the same problem with HSV would have been played out like this.

For the rest of the BA MK II FPV range, there was a new stripe design, which was now available on Pursuit and offered in a wider selection of colour combinations. The GT-P finally got 19-inch wheels, dual zone climate control became standard on GT, and both GT and GT-P gained premium sound as standard. The Pursuit gained prestige sound, but lost the hard lid, which was done to make way for the Super Pursuit that would arrive in 2005. The Boss 290 engine also scored blue painted rocker covers and intake plenum. All V8 powered models got stiffer front springs.

These were the initial "concept" images FPV supplied the media -

Mustang GT

3 users like this post: