Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #31
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they look silly that size, i think they are an ok rim but they'd suit it heaps better in 18" or so. Nice paint job on that car too, looks great
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 12:36 AM   #32
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moya
Well, if I were to buy a cheap *** 20 year old piece of car, I'd actually go and put 26" rims on them. Why not? I'll have enough money left over compared to buying a nice car to start with.
This coming from someone who owns an AU... :hihi:
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #33
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

i went to tempe tyres, and i am getting my wheels from there but get this when i asked about them lowering the car while i was there to save time they said "i carnt lower fords". that wasnt the only think, the guy also said that crome wastn't around back in the XD age, i almost laughed at him but instead i just shook my head and waited for the next dumb thing to come out. lucky they have good prices especialy if you go there and barter.

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847

Last edited by Sourbastard; 24-08-2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Racial Slur
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think any wheels in the 20+" vicinity belong on 4WDs. There is some late model Hilux goin around in Canberra and id say they would be 20+" chromes on it.

It looks really nice but id hate to go offroad in it lol. Not to mention if you hit a pothole fairly fast with a belt for a tyre it could prove costly expecially if the wheels were a limited production.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #35
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I think any wheels in the 20+" vicinity belong on 4WDs. There is some late model Hilux goin around in Canberra and id say they would be 20+" chromes on it.

It looks really nice but id hate to go offroad in it lol. Not to mention if you hit a pothole fairly fast with a belt for a tyre it could prove costly expecially if the wheels were a limited production.
The silver one? They are 22's...also has a duel exhaust system, but it seems the exhaust only exits out one pipe :

Can't remember what the guys name was, but he's mates with one of the guys at my school and pops in from time to time
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #36
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
The silver one? They are 22's...also has a duel exhaust system, but it seems the exhaust only exits out one pipe :

Can't remember what the guys name was, but he's mates with one of the guys at my school and pops in from time to time
Yep thats the one always crusin Civic. I reckon it looks nice.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #37
82falcon

Shecked it out in the tempe tyres album...
Can barely see the brakes, they've got that much room around them.
Looks overdone and photoshopped to me aswell
82falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #38
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Atleast its something different guys.

Even if it does look kinda funny atleast its different.

And besides the thing makes like 700hp and runs 9s down the quarter (without the 22s of course) so it isnt exactly a cheap *** boganmobile driven by fulli sik P Platers.

Just remember guys a s***load of money has been poured into that Calais.I like the style of the rims but it is a bit to big to for the VL body shape.I would go with a max of 20"s with mine.

So I think it deserves credit where credit is due.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #39
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
20'' plus is very common in the States, so its all a matter of time before we see bigger.
Yeah but most of the cars over there are SUV's right ?

Quote:
Just remember guys a s***load of money has been poured into that Calais.I like the style of the rims but it is a bit to big to for the VL body shape.I would go with a max of 20"s with mine.

So I think it deserves credit where credit is due.
I'm not knocking how it goes, I just think the wheels look abnormal. They're freakishly big.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #40
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
Atleast its something different guys.

Even if it does look kinda funny atleast its different.
How is it "different"? He just did what everyone else seems to be doing these days - fitting excessively large diameter wheels to his car. Yeah his are a bit bigger than most (for now) but it's not "different". "Different" is the rotary powered humpy ute featured in Street Machine earlier this year, or Gary Myers' latest creation. Big *** wheels are not different, if anything they are just the same old thing with a couple of extra inches in diameter.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #41
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
How is it "different"? He just did what everyone else seems to be doing these days - fitting excessively large diameter wheels to his car. Yeah his are a bit bigger than most (for now) but it's not "different". "Different" is the rotary powered humpy ute featured in Street Machine earlier this year, or Gary Myers' latest creation. Big *** wheels are not different, if anything they are just the same old thing with a couple of extra inches in diameter.
But how many VLs do you see with 22 inch wheels?

So in a way it is different but in some ways it isnt if that makes sense.
Old 23-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #42
neb
hibernating

I don't mind that car actually, it is something a bit different 22inch rims on a vl doesn't look too bad. But who cares about the rims the interior is where its at... that looks awesome! and yeah not to mention it runs 9s?? lol not a bad ride at all
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #43
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
I'm not knocking how it goes, I just think the wheels look abnormal. They're freakishly big.
lol man I didnt say you were. lol
Old 24-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #44
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD-Machine
i went to tempe tyres, and i am getting my wheels from there but get this when i asked about them lowering the car while i was there to save time they said "i carnt lower fords". that wasnt the only think, the guy also said that crome wastn't around back in the XD age, i almost laughed at him but instead i just shook my head and waited for the next dumb thing to come out. lucky they have good prices especialy if you go there and barter. no offence but they are a bunch of**** with there hotted up 4's
Actually I will take offence - what's their ethnicity got to do with 22inch rims on the VL or their attitude to lowering your car? that's a pretty small - lame statement that does nothing but imply a derogatry term for a description of someone who didn't give you the answer you wanted. If they are just a bunch of wogs with hotted up 4's - what's the turbo 6 about then? I thought all 'wogs' drove valiants, a generalization like that is pretty broad and ignorant mate, because of my background - should I be limited to the stereotype of only owning a hotted up 4 - breaking news for ya : 'wogs' do drive all sorts of cars - their are many kinds of 'wogs' even ones with lowered XDs on chrome wheels. Really, keep your comments on topic and don't even stray into the arena of racial commentry unless you know what you're talking about.
I could turn around and imply that being from penrith, you must be a gazzard from mt druitt that drives a HR on 13 inch kidney bean rims, southern cross flag across the back seat and half a vb can on the towball but I won't because, unlike you, I don't make stupid assumptions.
Did it ever occur to you that
A) they genuinely don't know how to lower an XD - not being the usual rice burner of a car that goes in for the big rims - lame excuse I know but a possibility
B) couldn't be stuffed wasting any more time as they need to cater for the endless number of customers waiting (- anyone who's been there will know what I mean)
C) & the mostly likely scenario was to; **** off the gypsy who keeps 'bartering' for a bargain on his rims and an assumption of a discounted rate on lowering the car because 'they're under there anyway'
Mate, you should probably be thanking the stars that they are 'wogs' or you wouldn't enjoy the opportunity to partake in the favourite past time of every ethnic - bargaining : "howa mucha forr kesh, mike?" - guess you've heard of it.
now getting on with what this thread is really about, yes they're nice rims, yes it's a nice car in general and yes it puts out the numbers but if we are to offer an opinion (that counts) - is that, the combo of VL body type to such a big rim is unproportional - unique to a degree but not imo, better looking than 19 inch wheels on that car. some cars can take the form of a big rim, others can't. I've seen 20s on my mates EL and even though it was lowered (drastically) still didn't look right, back on 19s now - only an inch difference but very noticeable.
Got to give them credit for pushing the envelope though and if you had doubts on how big they'll go, 30s have been out for some time, 28s are common on suvs in the states and on the latest rides 2 dvd, 24s on a Cuda look wicked.

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 24-08-2005 at 12:47 PM.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #45
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman
Really, keep your comments on topic and don't even stray into the arena of racial commentry unless you know what you're talking about.
XD's post has been edited.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #46
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

hey ratman i just sorry about that i wasnt thinking.
neways call me trailer trash or wot ever i dont care cause we are all the same and neways we are all multi cultural nobody is 100% somethink and thats a proven point so dont get cut over names.

neways who cares i liked them at the end of the day and they got my business. the only think i didnt like is them telling me wot i want on my car and not listening to me. like i said i want crome and they said ' no you dont wanna do that cause crome looks modern and you want an old look" . it remindes me of when i am at macas " you want fries with that", hey if i wanted fries i would have asked for them. another example i asked if they had much 17' rims and he said "nar you would want 18's on a old xd" and he showed me all these 18' rims.
but all in all i walked away happy and a little more educated (found out i need spaces on all there wheel range) and they do have a good price on there wheels and i didnt barter that much i just said ummed and arred and he took 100 off and i was just stating if you were good at that (i aint) you could get a even better price.

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #47
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a feeling that they are putting 24s on it.

How they are going to do that I dont know.

But realisticly if he had 18s or 19s it would just be another ordinary VLCT with nice wheels and paint IMO.

But atleast it proves that 22 inch wheels will fit a VL but I dont think many people would get inspiration from it.
Old 24-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #48
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
I have a feeling that they are putting 24s on it.

How they are going to do that I dont know.

But realisticly if he had 18s or 19s it would just be another ordinary VLCT with nice wheels and paint IMO.

But atleast it proves that 22 inch wheels will fit a VL but I dont think many people would get inspiration from it.
it would be just another vl with 18's or 19's thats for sure, i think it looks really good to be honest, i think some people just have a hate for vl's.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #49
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
it would be just another vl with 18's or 19's thats for sure, i think it looks really good to be honest, i think some people just have a hate for vl's.
Yeah its a shame.

Oh well I think they're a great car and they can look awesome when done right.
Old 24-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #50
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
Actually there are some VLs out there that I'm rather fond of. Eddy Tassone's twin turbo beast springs to mind. This one just looks stupid.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #51
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD-Machine
hey ratman i just sorry about that i wasnt thinking.
neways call me trailer trash or wot ever i dont care cause we are all the same and neways we are all multi cultural nobody is 100% somethink and thats a proven point so dont get cut over names.

neways who cares i liked them at the end of the day and they got my business. the only think i didnt like is them telling me wot i want on my car and not listening to me. like i said i want crome and they said ' no you dont wanna do that cause crome looks modern and you want an old look" . it remindes me of when i am at macas " you want fries with that", hey if i wanted fries i would have asked for them. another example i asked if they had much 17' rims and he said "nar you would want 18's on a old xd" and he showed me all these 18' rims.
but all in all i walked away happy and a little more educated (found out i need spaces on all there wheel range) and they do have a good price on there wheels and i didnt barter that much i just said ummed and arred and he took 100 off and i was just stating if you were good at that (i aint) you could get a even better price.
no worries dude - pm sent, personally I've have seen an xd they put 19s (dronells) on - looked pretty tough, even with a white wall pinstripe on the rubber. wouldn't think it would work but it did.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post