Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Your LV today

Hey guys, just wondering how your LV Focii are holding up today? If you've had any problems or niggling little issues?

Mine has a few rattles and creaks:

- Somewhere in my dash rattles at idle, sounds like behind the cluster.
- Driver seat creaks and cracks in the afternoon only for some reason, on gear shifts it creaks/cracks.

Other problems its had:

- Chewed out front two OEM tyres in about 20,000km, doesn't seem to be driving style as I've done another 20,000km on a set of new Toyo TEO Plus with no inner/outer edge wear and I've had the car lowered since then. These tyres are pretty crappy though, doesn't take much effort to spin the front wheels and you can get them to understeer without too much effort, they seem to last a long time though.

- Killed a Motorcraft OEM battery at around 14,000km, drove it home one night, went to start it the next day, completely dead, couldn't even roll start it, left it at the bottom of my court (its on a hill) for the day and went off in another car. Jump started it, it would jump and run fine, alternator was running the car, drove it 50km to my dealership, turned it off, completely dead, ended up dropping a few cells, replaced under warranty.

(The first LV Focus I had, had two out of round tyres from factory on the front wheels, shook the crap out of the wheel at 100km/h)

- Blew an injector return line, leaking diesel out all over the block.

- Split the 3rd injector seal, smoking out the cabin of the car with fumes.

- The aircon sucks ***, but thats a design flaw unfortunately.

- Handles like a 3 legged dog on lino, understeers like a pig and body rolls like the Costa Concordia if you try to have some fun, I guess this is because of the heavy all cast iron engine over the front two wheels.

Problems I've caused:

- Damaged rear plastics in the boot with my toolbox getting it in and out of the car all the time but thats only cosmetic.

- Smashed off wheel speed sensor wires on a speed hump the day after I got the car lowered.

Other than that, its been a fairly good car, its always got about 30kg+ of tools in the boot, 90% of the time on the way home an extra person and their tools as well.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Your LV today

Apart from the odd creak in the doors I've got no real complaints about mine as yet (X fingers crossed) I'm coming up to 30,000 k's, air con works well, I'm still on the original Good Year tyres which have been wearing fairly evenly and probably have another 5,000 or so k's left in them Mine handles like it's on rails since lowering it onto Kings SL's and fitting the Whiteline 22mm rear swaybar
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys must be hard on tyres as my OEM tyres have done 58.000 klm and still have at least 10,000 in them and that is on a heavy front end diesel car
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
You guys must be hard on tyres as my OEM tyres have done 58.000 klm and still have at least 10,000 in them and that is on a heavy front end diesel car
I'm no Rev Head and I don't lay rubber or even try to, the roads up here in NSW are pretty crap compared to Vic though so I suspect that could be a major contributing factor to the wear, although having said that, if I can get 35,000 K's or so out of a set of tyres I'm fairly happy with that
Old 19-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
Mine is diesel too, 95% of my driving is highway and I don't generally drive the car hard either.
Old 19-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
rand0mn00b

do you all have the same tyres from factory? I remember there was some variation...

mine came with Goodyear Eagle NCT they didn't last much more than 30,000 either though =\
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine are the Good Year Eagle NCT's, not sure about the diesels though
Old 19-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

XR5's have Continentals from factory.

Well, mines just gone 2 years old. 57k kms
Only warranty claim ive had was a munted Sony headunit.
Only issues so far
-Sway bar comes loose (Whiteline) simple fix
-Slight rattle in drivers door.
-Crap aircon (from factory)
-Chrome on my shifter is worn a little.
-On my second set of tyres after the conti's
-Replaced remote battery 3 times (Keyless start)
-Tyre wear is an issue on XR5's, dunno about normal focii, doesnt help when its modded though

Other than that (And they arent major issues) it has performed faultless. It has bee tuned since about 2 weeks after i purchased and i have driven it how it is with all mods now for about 6 mths and no issues. And returning 10L~ im happy with. Well done Ford IMO you have made a fantastic car, im not saying they are faultless as ive seen some XR5's with failures but mines been good.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My LS has been great, in the 80,000kms Ive done in it the drive has been a mix of regular Bathurst - Sydney runs a couple of runs to Melbourne & the daily commute, 1x hillclimb, 5x track days, 3x motorkhana's.

- Its on its second set of tyres since I've owned it, which still have heaps of tread.
- Had 2 recalls (compliance sticker & rear brake lines rubbing on inner guard)
- 1x warranty claim on a squeek in the drivers seat

Things I've Replaced (apart from fluids & filters)
- one rear blinker bulb holder
- 2 sets of headlight bulbs
- Front pads & disc's (& upgraded to slotted discs & harder compound pads)
- (still need to replace) Front bar & inner guard from hitting a wombat, only other damage was bent lower radiator support & knocked out alignment.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Mine are the Good Year Eagle NCT's, not sure about the diesels though
Diesels should be the same as that's what I have.

Very happy with my Focus. Still using the factory brakes, battery and tyres. Just ticked over 52.5k km and I think I will get new rubber at 60k, Will do the rear pads at the same time as they are getting on the thin side.

Got a new antenna under warranty, this fixed the AM reception, got a new head unit as I had a volume control issue that kept popping up.

Got a new compliance sticker from the recall, as well as a new fuel cap as the little plastic leash popped out of the original one.

Other than that, have had to change both main beam headlights, a few rear rights and did 1 puncture repair.

My tyres are scrubbing a little in the inside, so will get an alignment when I fit my new wheels / tyres I have in storage. Think my tyres can go up a few more psi as well as the centre grooves are pretty deep compared to the edges.

No major mechanical issues to speak of...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Diesels should be the same as that's what I have.

Very happy with my Focus. Still using the factory brakes, battery and tyres. Just ticked over 52.5k km and I think I will get new rubber at 60k, Will do the rear pads at the same time as they are getting on the thin side.

Got a new antenna under warranty, this fixed the AM reception, got a new head unit as I had a volume control issue that kept popping up.

Got a new compliance sticker from the recall, as well as a new fuel cap as the little plastic leash popped out of the original one.

Other than that, have had to change both main beam headlights, a few rear rights and did 1 puncture repair.

My tyres are scrubbing a little in the inside, so will get an alignment when I fit my new wheels / tyres I have in storage. Think my tyres can go up a few more psi as well as the centre grooves are pretty deep compared to the edges.

No major mechanical issues to speak of...
I blew probably 3 or 4 sets of headlights, but I drive with mine on all the time, now I've got HIDs no worries on blowing globes, lol.

I've done 43,000km in mine, brakes still seem to be ok and I've had probably 5 puncture repairs done, but thats from parking at work, our workshop gets full so people work outside in the car park, and they take heaps of screws and stuff with them, then instead of putting them back afterwards they throw them in the car park and everyone drives over them.
Old 24-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I blew probably 3 or 4 sets of headlights, but I drive with mine on all the time, now I've got HIDs no worries on blowing globes, lol.

I've done 43,000km in mine, brakes still seem to be ok and I've had probably 5 puncture repairs done, but thats from parking at work, our workshop gets full so people work outside in the car park, and they take heaps of screws and stuff with them, then instead of putting them back afterwards they throw them in the car park and everyone drives over them.
Remind me never to use your car park if I'm ever in the area
Old 24-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

My LV MKII has done just under 45,000km, of which around 26,000km are mine.

No major issues, new tyres a couple of months ago after putting a dirty great self-tapper through the tread on the rear right and out through the sidewall at 100km/h. By the time I'd stopped the tyre was...screwed, and as the fronts were wearing on the inside, replaced the lot of them.

Irritating rev-related whistle at around 2000 RPM, possibly a harmonic off something. It goes away above and isn't there below...

Car is still on its original brake pads and battery. The radio problem I had a while back never resurfaced. The car wouldn't lock with the remote a few weeks back but that only happened once, and my old Magna used to do that every now and again.

Mick
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
My LV MKII has done just under 45,000km, of which around 26,000km are mine.

No major issues, new tyres a couple of months ago after putting a dirty great self-tapper through the tread on the rear right and out through the sidewall at 100km/h. By the time I'd stopped the tyre was...screwed, and as the fronts were wearing on the inside, replaced the lot of them.

Mick
I warned you guys to stay away from Big Damo's car park
Old 24-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did 28,000km from new in an LV CL. Apart from a couple of suspension-related squeaks, easily fixed with some lube, I don't recall anything beyond a battery going kaput at about 26,000km.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo
My TDCI tyre pressure sticker on the sill or the door actually quotes the pressures for the petrol model.

Have you infltaed your tyres to the number recommnded in your service handbook for the diesel and also the pressure for full load.

Makes a huge difference to handling.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Damo
My TDCI tyre pressure sticker on the sill or the door actually quotes the pressures for the petrol model.

Have you infltaed your tyres to the number recommnded in your service handbook for the diesel and also the pressure for full load.

I usually go 38 psi all round, because nearly all my driving is highway cruising.

I just did a 100km each way trip to my aunties place for Christmas, all of it on the highway, trip computer showing average speed 70km/h and the fuel usage 4.5L/100km.

My 22mm rear sway bar will be getting fitted next service at 50,000km now I have the right rear links for it, hopefully that improves it a bit, might set it to medium first off.
Old 25-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

38 psi sounds low Damo. I thought my sticker had a section for diesel models but then again I can't be certain till morning.

What I do remember is that there was a pretty large gap between front and back pressures, like at least 5psi. Of course I can't remember which was higher but I think it was rears?

I keep mine at 40 front and 45 rear (or whichever was meant to be the higher according to the sticker). Ride is a little harder however steering is more direct and lighter. I'm often carrying a decent load and also do a lot of freeway driving so that will probably get me a little further per tank.

Old 26-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I usually go 38 psi all round, because nearly all my driving is highway cruising.

I just did a 100km each way trip to my aunties place for Christmas, all of it on the highway, trip computer showing average speed 70km/h and the fuel usage 4.5L/100km.
According to the sticker your fronts are overinflated and your rears are under. Having said that, I would leave it as is as I don't go by what the sticker says anyway. Perhaps bump up the rears to 40? Wonder why there is a 6psi difference between front and back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Damo

Mine has the extra line for diesel? Sure your sticker doesn't have the same? Looks like a generic sticker for all models as well.

Old 26-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah the yaapies (south Efricans) put the wrong one on.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dedicated ford workers in Pretoria managed to put the correct one on my LT diesel.
Must have been built on a Tuesday or wednesday since most things were included save that the diagram of the fuse box is not of the one in my car!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

The guys that replaced my tyres (Beaurepaires) said 38psi all-round.

Mick
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
tommygun69

my 09 tdci just clicked over 60,000 (got the car at 45,000) and just serviced my self and noticed ford had put the air filter in a hurry and warped it massively. After taking one back I had bought through Ryco (their filters do not fit) managed to get an oem ford one and fits really snug. You think you are getting a good service when you take your car to the the Ford dealers but this just proves they just don't care! Love how easy it is to change oil filter with the cartridge and the sump plug being a hex bolt was annoying when I had to take the car off jacks and go to the shop but yeah...ya get that

No issues whatsoever apart from the dreaded black smoke on acceleration which I am sure is soot in egr valve/ manifold. Pretty sure I had the original tyres still on it when I bought it , they still look good for another 10k or so. Apart from the smoke it has been an awesome little machine. I don't hurt it but I do give it a bit and still avg 5.5/l.

Only other minor problem is the steering seems to behave weird when you put it in almost full lock. Feels like it loses traction or slips. Not sure what you would call this but it is annoying. Also back seat lining has started to fall off because of the heat but that should be an easy fix

oh yeah, one more thing! the air con does suck in this! nothing I can do about that I guess :(

Last edited by tommygun69; 27-12-2012 at 10:25 AM.
tommygun69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

41 PSI in the rear? I reckon you'd chop out the outside of the tyres fairly quickly O_o.

I'll give it a shot anyway, the quicker these tyres wear out the quicker my 18" rims come
Old 27-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
41 PSI in the rear? I reckon you'd chop out the outside of the tyres fairly quickly O_o.

I'll give it a shot anyway, the quicker these tyres wear out the quicker my 18" rims come
Just keep parking it in your work carpark Damo, that should speed up the process
Old 28-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Just keep parking it in your work carpark Damo, that should speed up the process
Haha that place is like a mine field of self tappers, bolts and screws.
Old 28-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
rand0mn00b

Quote:

frankly, I am finding that the ford figures are very conservative - and not for the better

under-inflation will cause the edges of the tyre to wear out quicker while over-inflation will cause the centre to do so

maybe it's because I have the 17" zetec rims, but if I don't keep my tyres inflated above 40psi the outside treads wear noticeably.

i usually keep the tyres inflated between 42-44psi all round. the fronts wear out quicker, naturally, but the tread wears evenly.

handling and turn-in is sharper, but the ride is bumpier. note that I don't do much highway driving or long trips much so this may affect my wear since high speeds will get the tyres warmer and hence the PSI higher

also, are you guys measuring your tyre pressures at cold? warm pressures will be all over the place
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
frankly, I am finding that the ford figures are very conservative - and not for the better

under-inflation will cause the edges of the tyre to wear out quicker while over-inflation will cause the centre to do so

maybe it's because I have the 17" zetec rims, but if I don't keep my tyres inflated above 40psi the outside treads wear noticeably.

i usually keep the tyres inflated between 42-44psi all round. the fronts wear out quicker, naturally, but the tread wears evenly.

handling and turn-in is sharper, but the ride is bumpier. note that I don't do much highway driving or long trips much so this may affect my wear since high speeds will get the tyres warmer and hence the PSI higher

also, are you guys measuring your tyre pressures at cold? warm pressures will be all over the place
I've got one of those 12V air compressors I use, so I do the pressures before the car moves, plus when you go to the servo, the gauge has been dropped about 50,000 times, the first time you drop it, it never reads right after that.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Interesting encounters this morning on the way to work, sheep on the road, and evading a suicidal bird.

Holy crap this thing handles woeful, I did a real sharp left/right turn to evade the sheep at 100km/h on the highway and nearly sent my tool box out the side windows I reckon, the amount of body roll this thing has is insane, it leaned really hard onto either side and didn't evade quite good, enough to miss the sheep though.

Does fitting the shortened shocks make much of a difference to handling with the sway bar and lowering springs? The car is coming up for its 50,000km service in a few weeks, I've already got the Eibach pro-kit 30mm lowering springs fitted, I have my links and rear 22mm adjustable sway bar waiting to go on at the service, is it worth replacing the factory shocks with the shortened Bilstein ones?

Anyone recommend anywhere to source them from? Dealt with European-Parts a few times, is the XR5 and the TDCI shocks the same items? JW Racing has reasonable prices.

Also opinion on replacement for Code RED CAI:

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...oducts_id/1435

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Damo, before I fitted the springs and shocks, I had the Eibach springs paired with the factory shocks. I can confirm that doing a matched spring / shock combo makes a noticeable improvement to the handling of the car, compared to having the Eibach springs alone. If I were you, I'd fit the rear swaybar (which also makes a noticeable difference), and if you we're still unhappy, look at the Bilsteins. I found Demon Tweeks in the UK were good for suspension parts.

Last edited by DZFord; 03-01-2013 at 09:32 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post