Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
christo_fiesta

Default POTHOLES ! ! ! not happy jan !

Hey guys..

Bad news...almost crashed my beautiful fez...

Was driving in the carpark of my local supermarket, to stop and get a DVD for the saturday night movie with the GF, and I hit a pothole..

not just any pothole, this thing was a damn crater. At LEAST 3 feet wide and possibly 1/2 a foot or more deep. My front right hand side tyre popped ( really loudly ) and I lost control of the car. I managed to safely park it quickly, and changed the tyre to the space saver.

Basically now, I need a new tyre, new steel wheel cover ( cos the old one is hammered literally ), and hopefully nothing is buggered with my suspension...

Is the shopping centre management liable to pay for the damage to my fez? The better pay, or no kidding you will see me on "Today Tonight" for sure....

Not happy jan !

christo_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 03:22 AM   #2
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Sorry to hear that...sounds nasty.

But the obvious question is if the hole is that big, how come you did not see it?

And I suppose the car park owners have an obligation to maintain the car park in a safe working order, especially if you are paying to park. You might need to talk with someone who knows the law.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default POTHOLES ! ! ! not happy jan

Hey, not the best of luck hay.

I had to replace a steel wheel, hubcap and tyre on my fiesta.

I can give you rough prices on the parts too.

around 70 bucks for hubcap, 160ish for bridgestone turanza tyre, and around 140 for the actual steel wheel.

plus around 30 for an alignment, may have to pay a little for fitting and balancing.

Not a cheap excercise, my thoughts are, get it all fixed, keep the recipts. take a photo of the pothole. and send it all too the company or supermarket incharge for the upkeep of the carpark
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Absolutely they are liable! Send them an itemised bill as well as a letter explaining what happened. Dates, times etc etc.
Old 21-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
The Mighty Red

And take pics of said pothole and tyre etc ,surrounding area
Old 21-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
lotsy
Feisty

Shopping centres are liable for shopping trolley damage done to cars so the same should go for pot holes.
lotsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
christo_fiesta

I had no idea they were liable for trolley damage done to cars?

I bought a disposable fujiu camera to take photos of the pothole, damage etc etc etc.

I plan on making them pay for the cost of the camera as well, Im so angry word cant even begin to describe how angry I am.
Old 21-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

i can imagine how you feel.

Are you serious about trolley damage?

My mums car is covered in dents. I hate parking my car in shopping centres, my fear of trolleys has got the better of me
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 22-08-2005, 02:14 AM   #9
Danny
GT4.

How fast were you going In a Shopping centre carpark to not see a pot hole that big and then avoid it Christo??

Hopefully they dont throw a Question like that at ya, but I'm assuming you have an explanation so hopefully they have to pay.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #10
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its night i think you'll win but like danny said they could throw a question like that at you o.O;;

you can get negligence, the shopping centre have a duty of care to its customers; and its been breached so you can sue for damages ^_^ (i think)
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsy
Shopping centres are liable for shopping trolley damage done to cars
Are u serious?? I had some ****er trolley dint my car the other day. I was so mad!!! Decent scratch & dint.

I didnt know they were liable??

Last edited by Leah; 22-08-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #12
FlaminFiesta

yeah i did the same thibg but it at night on road works, u couldnt see the hole with highbeams and foggers on scratched my left front not too noticable but u can see it from abt 3 metres away and it threw my wheel alignment out that cost me $50 to fix as well.=l...
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
lotsy
Feisty

a friends car was hit by a shopping trolley so they went straight to centre management and they paid for the damages.
lotsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
christo_fiesta

My explanation is...

That it was at night time, the shopping centre carpark has very little to no lighting, and the pothole was full of water because it had been raining. Therefore to the naked eye it just looked like a puddle of water on the road...i didnt realise there was a god damn SWIMMING POOL underneath.

The people from my local newspaper are coming over today to take photos of my car / me / and the hole to write a story about it. Go figure.

Im chasing up the cheap skates who own the shopping centre complex to pay for my damages, they will pay - just a matter of when.
Old 23-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
christo_fiesta

By the way guys,

you might be interested to know that Bridgestone no longer make our stock tyres anymore on the New Fiestas.

There is an upgraded different model which they now have, so if you screw up 1 tyre you are up for changing 2 or more.
Old 23-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #16
Danny
GT4.

whats the new tyre they use now???
Old 23-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #17
joshf2
striped

its probably just as bad

when i test drove my car, it lacked any mid corner grip, and the sidewalls were too soft and so it scrubbed alot

i know road slicks are the first change thats happening when i pick up my car
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #18
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Soft tyre wall.... AGREED. makes me feel very nervous when i can feel the tyre wall flexing under heavy cornering, the back of the car is very unstable sometimes

Loads of fun :
Old 24-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Ha, you musn't know how to drive then!! jk. I hammer and hammer and hammer mine round the most ridiculous of corners and it seems fine to me, Only the lightest hint of lift off over steer that is easily remedied by getting back on throttle.

I reckon its base package provides excellent all round handling and i'm still very impressed.
Old 24-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Ha, you musn't know how to drive then!! jk. I hammer and hammer and hammer mine round the most ridiculous of corners and it seems fine to me, Only the lightest hint of lift off over steer that is easily remedied by getting back on throttle.

I reckon its base package provides excellent all round handling and i'm still very impressed.
Agreed. I have a re-inforced sidewall.... so it doesnt flex. Shame about the grip not being good enough to handle the nonflex sidewall. BRING ON THE MICHELINS!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 08:05 AM   #21
joshf2
striped

Quote:

i think it may be more a case of "you're not going fast enough" ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Agreed. I have a re-inforced sidewall.... so it doesnt flex. Shame about the grip not being good enough to handle the nonflex sidewall. BRING ON THE MICHELINS!
but arent yours the factory 16's? you'd have a lower profile, so you would be experiencing this anyway.
Old 24-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #22
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
i think it may be more a case of "you're not going fast enough" ;)
Point taken, but hang on a second. It IS true that it does not matter what car you have or how quick it is, its the driver that chooses corner speed due to the grip limits of the car. Any car can go fast enough to exceed its limits of grip mate.

It is NOT a case of not going fast enough. Rather, it's a correct chioce of cornering speed and line taken that will decide whether or not you lose control or not. I have gone round a corner too fast in the Fiesta once and it freaked me out big time. I lost it, all four wheels decided to let go.... Its something I wont do again.

Back on topic now anyways please.
Old 24-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
but arent yours the factory 16's? you'd have a lower profile, so you would be experiencing this anyway.
Yes, they are 16s... hence why i mentioned that i dont have Sidewall Flex.... but i have crapo Falkens on it... that arent grippy enough, so the sidewall isnt flexing, but rather the car is losing grip. Hence why i cant wait to get Michelins.... possibly

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #24
christo_fiesta

I think the new tyres are called GX30's maybe???
Old 24-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #25
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Point taken, but hang on a second. It IS true that it does not matter what car you have or how quick it is, its the driver that chooses corner speed due to the grip limits of the car. Any car can go fast enough to exceed its limits of grip mate.

It is NOT a case of not going fast enough. Rather, it's a correct chioce of cornering speed and line taken that will decide whether or not you lose control or not. I have gone round a corner too fast in the Fiesta once and it freaked me out big time. I lost it, all four wheels decided to let go.... Its something I wont do again.

Back on topic now anyways please.
i think you may have missed the point, since we were talking about tyre grip, not driver skill...
Old 25-08-2005, 02:45 AM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
i think you may have missed the point, since we were talking about tyre grip, not driver skill...
A driver with skill knows how not to exceed tyre grip, so they um, go hand in hand.... : (not sayin I am skillful either)