Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Glend
Starter Motor

Default E2 error code on AU2 climate control

Has anyone heard of this ? Returning back from the shops and after going thru a car wash,today the climate control didnt automatically come on, It displayed "E2" for about 30 seconds, and after pushing diff buttons like temp and fan speed and auto etc hot air finally came out. With no cold air at all.
Even setting the temp to 16 degrees it still comes out warm. Our first thought was regas as its never been done in 5 years. But after a cal to our local ford dealer, they siad it was the "Blender Motor" (a typical fault with the AU.) All up including labour would be around $700, as they need to get into the dash. Anyone else had this prob?

Glend is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

E2 was the error code for the blend door on EL's, dunno if its the same for AU but it sounds like it.

*EDIT* Should have read all of the post before posting...lol

I have seen them for sale on ebay, so if you feel able enough to pull out the dash you could get it done a lot cheaper.
Old 18-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Glend
Starter Motor

Thanks for that, dont think we'll mess with the dash though!!
Old 20-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I ran the self diagnostic test on the Climate control to see if any codes popped up, and the E2 code showed up, then at 16deg warm air would blow, at 22deg cold air then at 32deg hot air. I then ran it again and no codes showed up, and it went back to normal operation. I think you run the self test thing by pressing the Off & Air vent selector (The two outside Buttons) and holding them with the ignition On. I was wondering what E2 was but didnt worry cause it didnt come up again.

So you think mine will ИИИИ itself soon aswell????
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Glend
Starter Motor

We have our car booked in for tomorrow to have the blender motor replaced and I have just read your message re self test on climate control. We still have not seen the error code reappear since this first started last Saturday. But out of interest i ve just done this self diagnostic check and the error still did not appear and would you believe it, the air con seems to be working normally. The air was very cool, cooler than it has been coming out since Saturday. I wonder if the test somehow reset the climate control?? Will go for a drive soon and see what happens!! Dont particulary want to fork out $700 for nothing!! Thanks for your message
Old 20-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Glend
Starter Motor

Thankyou autickfordfairmont ! We think you have solved our problem and saved ue $700. Since we did the self check it did reset itself (confirmed by our local ford dealer!!!)
and climate control now working normally. Pity they didnt tell us about the reset feature.
Many thanks
Old 20-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Cos they wanted to get the $700 out of you ... that's why they didn't tell you.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a good practice to carry out a self test on a regular basis to stop the blend door from jamming or the controller forgetting where the doors position is. It is a common occurance on vehicles up to AUIII with climate control, this is why the code hasn't returned when the self test has been repeated.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Glad i could help, i was only passing on knowledge that other forum members have provided me in the past.

Bloody great thing these forums, i love em.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
eXi7w0unD

when i put in a burnt cd in the 6 stacker it comes up e2 on the lcd on the head deck..
eXi7w0unD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
FORDavid

I had the same issue with it not going cold at 16 degrees and was freeking out because my local mechanic was talking about taking the dash out and replacing the compressor and all this stuff, talking big bucks.

So i just did the self diagnostic and BLOODY HECK i think its all working again. Who would have thought it was such a small thing.

Thanks guys so much, life gets a bit easier when you dont have a massive bill sitting on your shoulder.
FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

$700 to push some button, bit rich if you ask me.
But it good to see these forums helping people.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXi7w0unD
when i put in a burnt cd in the 6 stacker it comes up e2 on the lcd on the head deck..
that would be a cd read error, like the laser can't read the cd...i dunno if its common or not cause ive never had a stacker before
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys. my heater wasnt working, did the self test and now i have a heater.!!!!!!!!!
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

My 2001 AUII Fairmont just did the same thing! E2 code on the climate control and heater full blast!

It's the blend door all right. Simply resetting the climate control by pressing and holding both the off and vent controls fixed it and you can hear it opening and closing all the doors to get the open closed positions correct again.

All good now. A simple fix well worth knowing about if you have an AU Fairmont.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
dockers

i have the same problem on my nf fairlane but the codes arent working this time problem occured while i was driving went from heater to plain cold air. now it wont reset any1 heard of this?
dockers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jonbays it applies to E series as well as AU

The blend door motor has a potentimetre (sp?) on it to let the climate control unit know where it is sitting, the reset checks the resistance at full open and full closed and keeps it from trying to push past it's limits
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
mickbag
innocent bystander

Well, I can report another success. For the last couple of days (on a trip down the country for the school holidays) my heater climate control has been blowing either ridiculously hot or cold... despite the settings. We tried auto, semi-auto, upping & downing the temp settings... nothing worked UNTIL on the way ome (of course) I remembered this discussion and reset it as autickfordfairmont described above... and now it works perfectly! Thanks everyone! Our beautiful Fairy is now much more comfortable to travel in... not to mention the money saved!
mickbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
zemanski
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
I ran the self diagnostic test on the Climate control to see if any codes popped up, and the E2 code showed up, then at 16deg warm air would blow, at 22deg cold air then at 32deg hot air. I then ran it again and no codes showed up, and it went back to normal operation. I think you run the self test thing by pressing the Off & Air vent selector (The two outside Buttons) and holding them with the ignition On. I was wondering what E2 was but didnt worry cause it didnt come up again.

So you think mine will ИИИИ itself soon aswell????
Hi, can anyone help please. I also got E2 code displayed when I try to reset the climate control by pushing OFF and AUTO buttons but the unit wont reset properly.

What buttons do I need to push to run the Self Diagnostic Test??? I know that you are talking about two outside buttons but they don't seem to work. The outside buttons I have are: on the left side AUTO on top and OFF on the bottom, and on the right side MODE on top and WENT on the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to remove the dash if I don't need to.

Thanks, Jan
zemanski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

MODE and OFF for diagnostic test
Old 19-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
zemanski
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
MODE and OFF for diagnostic test
Thank you MAD, but that does not solve the problem as it shows E2 code each time I try. So I think it will be under the dash job :-(

Thanks, Jan
zemanski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

The self test, among other things, checks and recalibrates the blend door motor if it is working. If it doesnt respond or it is out of range even after recalibrating, then E2 error will be displayed.

So, yep, you will need to take the dash out and replace the blend door motor by the sound of it.
Old 13-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
dustybronco
Starter Motor

hi guys, i got a '97 DL LTD, no heat, but everything else works great. i tried the self test and got "E2" on the cc screen. I also heard that by running the self test several times, the blendoor motor may eventually reset and, voila!! heat. Have now reset E2 4 times, and nothing yet. Is it now a dash out job?? My cheapest quote so far has been around $800, and I aint got the time to pull the dash out. Any help would be great guys..
dustybronco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: