Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Ringo
I see you....

Default Where to go in Sydney CBD on a Friday night?

My work is flying Mrs Ringo and myself up to Sydney for the Christmas Party - Ripper!

Mrs Ringo and I will actually be flown up on Friday and the party is on Saturday night so I think we are free to do our own thing on Friday night.....problem is we have been to Sydney only a few times over the last 10 years and have zero local knowledge.

Where can we go on Friday night that would be:

Don't need to book
Does a nice enough food
Has some atmosphere / view etc
Easyish to get to (we will be in the CBD)
Is Bondi difficult to get to on a Friday night? (Mrs Ringo has never been there)

I guess I'm asking if you had a couple of mexicans to entertain for the night where would you go?

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends on what you're after... I would personally steer clear of Bondi if you can avoid it. Bit ****y, overpriced and will cost you a solid cab fair there and back.

A really good alternative is to catch the Ferry across from Circular Quay to Manly in the arvo./ Go for a walk along the shops, see the beach and then head back to Wharf Bar Wharf Bar for sunset, beers and good food. The women at Wharf bar on a Saturday night are some of the best looking women in Sydney. And less attitude than the east. Then go bar hopping in Manly... don't forget to check what time the ferry leaves, and don't get so pi**ed you spew - you have a ferry ride to get back to city.

From there head into the Rocks. Walk along to The Australian and other pubs, taking in the backdrop of the Harbour Bridge. There are good pubs in the Rocks. Just avoid the pi**ed up backpackers and 'da boyz'

If you want a decent view and don't want to travel too far out of the city you can always try something like the James Squire brewery in Darling Harbour.

Don't forget, Sydney is ********* expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo

My work is flying Mrs Ringo and myself up to Sydney for the Christmas Party - Ripper!

Mrs Ringo and I will actually be flown up on Friday and the party is on Saturday night so I think we are free to do our own thing on Friday night.....problem is we have been to Sydney only a few times over the last 10 years and have zero local knowledge.

Where can we go on Friday night that would be:

Don't need to book
Does a nice enough food
Has some atmosphere / view etc
Easyish to get to (we will be in the CBD)
Is Bondi difficult to get to on a Friday night? (Mrs Ringo has never been there)

I guess I'm asking if you had a couple of mexicans to entertain for the night where would you go?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can recommend James Squires Brewery for a feed n some nice beers, good view etc.

Plus you can walk along king st wharf / cockle bay and get some ice cream at Andersens (the best ice cream ever)

http://www.jamessquirebrewhouse.net/...d=16&Itemid=50
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I can recommend James Squires Brewery for a feed n some nice beers, good view etc.

Plus you can walk along king st wharf / cockle bay and get some ice cream at Andersens (the best ice cream ever)

http://www.jamessquirebrewhouse.net/...d=16&Itemid=50
+1 for this option

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Ringo
I see you....

James Squire looks like a great option.

Happy to take other suggestions though...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I hate the city at the best of times ... I try and avoid it like the plague (says the courier driver) ... hee hee

Although Bourney's idea sounds nice.

What sort of music are you into????
There was one place I used to go to that was not bad for food and decent music ... and moody as well. And that was The Basement ... just off Pitt Street (from memory) ... has been ages since I went there.

Lowenbrau is not bad ... but man it is busy though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Candy's Apartment

22 (I think) Bayswater Rd, Darlinhurst
Aka Kings Cross

My all time favorite club. Can't wait to move back to Sydney to hit it up again and again

That's for the younger players at home though lol
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lowenbrau! How could I bloody not mention that.

Definitely busy, but has AWEEESSSOMMMEE schnitzel's and Litre Steins. Great atmosphere too.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

We hit up here http://www.macchiato.com.au/ and http://www.chintaria.com/ in the last month or so...

Darling Harbour also has the lindt cafe I think http://www.lindt.com/au/swf/eng/

For after dinner can't beat this joint http://www.sanchurro.com.au/index.php

Churros ftw.

Tony Roma's isn't bad. http://www.tonyromas.com/ (should have link to AUS site)

Also, Suminoya in Angel Place (near Martin Place) is good - asian bbq joint where you cook your food in front of you. Fantastic. http://www.yakiniku.com.au/suminoya.html

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

Ended up having dinner with a colleage with wives at Peter Doyles at the Terminal. Had a great night because it was 20 degrees, clear with a back drop to die for. Food was OK, service was poor, prices were....not cheap.

Gee Sydney has gone 'Opera' nuts hasn't it ?
Old 15-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... I guess that is Sydney.
If you want a nice dining experience and affordable prices ... got to Melbourne. Seriously ... it is much better down there for that experience. Sydney really doesn't have it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post