Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Have you done advance driver training
Yep lots, either free and paid for and will probably do more 39 40.63%
Only the free FPV one 2 2.08%
Did one once, found it useful 19 19.79%
Did one once, found it to be crap 5 5.21%
Will do one soon as I think it will help me 11 11.46%
Would like to do one but can't afford it 17 17.71%
Waste of time, I can drive better than average already 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advanced driving courses

As the title suggests this is a thread about advanced driving courses.

Every new FPV buyer is offered one of these gratis although it is rather limited and basic.

They range in price from a couple of hundred dollars up to several thousand.
I have put both my daughters through a basic course and have done lots of them myself over the years and found them to be very helpful.

So:

Who has actually done one or more of these things?

And (surprise surprise) there is a poll

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive done about 8 from memory, the best one was the Mercedes day which is complementary when you buy a Merc, they let you loose at Sandown for some flying laps at the end and if you're lucky (i was) they have some AMG toys to play with too.

To be honest you need to do these courses every so often to refresh your skills because to be honest new taught skills that arent instinctive need to be practiced so they become reactive in an emergency.

While it has to be a bonus i seriously doubt most people would recall the emergency skills learnt from just 1 course in a split second reaction situation.....

Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no option for 'I would like to do one but I am too young'. I would probably be the only one in that category, though. feelsbadman.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
There's no option for 'I would like to do one but I am too young'. I would probably be the only one in that category, though. feelsbadman.
Do you have a license? Then you can do one.

If not then do a go-kart course, it all helps
Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Do you have a license? Then you can do one.

If not then do a go-kart course, it all helps
Learners.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They do driver training courses at the Marulan Driver training centre in different age groups

8-15 (150cc buggies on dirt track)

15-20 (own vehicle)

then also Advanced or Defencive driver training for everyone else.

heres a link
http://www.mdtc.com.au/giftshop/index.php
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Learners.
Well you are still doing basic driving training.

You can do advanced later.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 skidpan days, and 3 track days. Will be doing more. You can never learn enough. Not only do you get to learn more, but you also get to have a lot of fun.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will do one soon as I think it will help me was my answer. hoping to buy a xr6t next year and will probably sign up for myself and my wife when i buy the new car
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well you are still doing basic driving training.

You can do advanced later.
Hmmm... interesting. I know that my parents got a "Free defensive driving course" with their AAMi insurance for under 25s but I dont know whether that covers learners.

It states that it is safe for children but I've been told by family etc. that everybody is "somebody's child" (eg. you are your parents child no matter what age you are) but they are probably wrong. No harm in calling up and inquiring.

@Neale thanks for the info+link, unfortunately I'm not in NSW though.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im yet to do to many because I am waiting for a decent car to do it in.

I did the AAMI one, that is the basic of basic, only did it for the premium reduction. I did a Ford one and that was lots of fun but I didn't really learn anything per se....did a bit of dirt sliding etc that I obviously haven't done on public roads.

Come end of next year though I plan to do some good ones at least once a year, for me.

So I dont know where to vote, I found it ok, but not crap.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

I've done 3, first one about 16 years ago, after I'd had my licence about 12 months. Definately agree that you need to practice the skills learnt to ensure they become automatic when needed.
Interestingly the instructor in that first course suggested going to a supermarket carpark late at night or early in the morning to practise, these days you'd probably get your car impounded for doing that.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I would love to 1: have time to, and 2: afford to go to these. Im always keen to make myself a better driver.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
FgNewbie
Australia

In the 80s and 90s doing driving courses was more like a hobby for me. I did something at least 4 times a year.

Various companies. Various cars & trucks. Various locations inc dirt, road, track. Various types & levels of advanced driving inc roadcraft and carcraft.

They were all brilliant and I'd happily do them all again. I highly recommend courses for any one and every one.

Except for tuition/course costs and excessive wear (when using my own car), the only other cost I copped was a bit of body damage after an incident doing lap dashes.

I've never formally raced. It didn't interest me and now I'm past it (edit: not past it, just off the boil).

One observation: there was always at least one cowboy with the wrong mindset that came unstuck either on the track or on their way home. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous tool.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done a variety over the years, from the basic learners to the full race practice sessions. You do need to keep practicing the skills at the track though. But the skill set is very different for racing vs street driving. This is why the evidence for their effectiveness is in doubt. Some evidence indicates an increased risk on the road, while others suggest the opposite. I won't go into the pros and cons, but I like to do track days on occasion with Tex and F6, and i like to be in front, so these type of courses appeal to me.
I will be putting the kids through them when they are old enough to drive, as we get ice and snow on very bendy roads here in Tas, and I would lile them to be able to knwo when they could get into trouble, and what their car is likely to do.
The final note is that each car behaves differently, so you need to drive to the car. Our disco is a very different beast in the wet compared to the xr6t, so the course needs to be done in the vehicle in which you drive. Doing one course in a nissan pulsar will not help you that much if you buy an f6.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

i wunna do wun so i can do sum maddddd skids and doughies in the gravaallllll in my heeaaapsss sick commodoree

*ahem*
I mean
I'd love to do one, its just a matter of finding a 5 speed box so i can get my car to brissy without molesting the planets fuel supply
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Lots

4 Army driving courses, 1 ambulance course and multiple club skid pan and track days.

Kind of refresh my skills every day at work.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
i wunna do wun so i can do sum maddddd skids and doughies in the gravaallllll in my heeaaapsss sick commodoree

*ahem*
I mean
I'd love to do one, its just a matter of finding a 5 speed box so i can get my car to brissy without molesting the planets fuel supply
You only need to get to Gympie

www.roadcraft.org

And a 5 speed is going to make very little difference in your XC.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no Option in the pole for 98% of the driving population ie

NO, never really thought about it.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
There is no Option in the pole for 98% of the driving population ie

NO, never really thought about it.
Yes that is true, but then 98% of the driving population are not members of AFF either. We are mostly car enthusiasts.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all the advocates, how many Advanced Driving Courses have your girlfriends/wives done. Especially ones carting around your kids everyday.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Have done the basic JB course so far, was hoping to do their basic track course this year but ran out of time and money, hopefully next year i'll be able to get around to it.

Found it really good, but as 4Vman said without further practice the skills will be lost in a matter of time so wouldn't bother if you didn't plan on doing it atleast every 2-3 years.

Quote:
To all the advocates, how many Advanced Driving Courses have your girlfriends/wives done. Especially ones carting around your kids everyday.

Ive already said to my partner that asoon as she has her new car i'll be sending her down for atleast basic training so she can feel how the car reacts in emergency situations.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wife, 1 basic plus many "private lessons" by me.
Elder daughter 1 basic but I suspect will do a few more in the future courtesy of QPOL , younger daughter booked in early next year (she has only been on Ps 2 months).

I bought them both a roadcraft P plater course as a present to celebrate their passing their drivers' licenses.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I've just done one at the Holden performance driving centre at Yatala on the Gold Coast (saw Paul Morris when I was there). Found it insightful and I still use quite a few of the things they taught me, but expectedly I've let some slip from my memory.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My work paid for everyone to do one in small groups last year.
In my group I was only one on P's sp everyone was giving me **** about that.
I had only been on my P's for less then 2 years at the time but I managed to control the vehicle on the wet skid pad well and didn't hit any of the witches hats.

Some guys twice my age with lots of driving experience were still hitting the cones sometimes.

At the end of the day the instructor asked me if I had previous experience in driving courses because I handled it really well. That was his words, not mine.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect or professional driver, but not all P platers are uncoordinated and have no idea how a car and basic physics works.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
bingoTE50
Steve

I done two with Ian Luff at Oran Park , Safety and Advanced .Done the John Bowe with FPV at QLD Raceway. Driven a Honda Integra race prepped and Formula Ford around Oran Park with Ian Luff Motivation . All good stuff ....
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

None, was going to do the AAMI one for the lower insurance but I can't be bothered because chances are it wont be reduced by much.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #28
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

When I was 17 I did the Qsafe course offered through my school, taught the basics:-
How to merge, awareness of other vehicles on the road/around you via regular checks in all 3 mirrors, practical test showing importance of maintenance of brakes and buying decent tyres via 3 identical cars and braking distances achieved via good bad and retread, and also taught you basic vehicle maintenance.

Defensive Driver Training @ Willowbank:-

Done between 3 cars, my NL fairlane, a VRX magna and a WRX, showing difference between FWD/AWD and RWD characteristics, mock round a bout set up to produce under steer/over steer, 2 chutes set up to simulate emergency braking.
more details regarding how to merge, the ability to look through the car in front and be a better assessor of your surroundings, also taught how to drive for better fuel consumption and how to brake smoothly and smoother inputs into steering, also the importance of being aware of your surroundings regarding intersections and how not to turn your wheel before turning at intersection to avoid being pushed into traffic if a rear end collision occurs.

Performance Driver Training @ Holden driver training :-

When I held my limo licence I did one since the company I worked for had the "Comm Car" contract to transport commonwealth ministers and parliament. This focused on speed/control and effects there of, braking distances and braking techniques at different speeds including ABS/NO ABS, skid pan disc and ability to control a slide, how to approach a corner and get maximum grip vs speed and the grave reality of when it all goes wrong in a video and personal speakers there after.

I have done a few skid pan nights at QR just for fun, and 2 skidpan days down on the south side of Brisbane *cant recall the name of the place currently* and did the same training course set up as the police *believe ambo's do a similar course) they covered basics about follow distance/brake distance and emergency brake simulations with and without ABS as well.

I believe everyone could benefit from the Qsafe course and Defensive driver training, too many believe Defensive driver training is Performance driver training and that's where it all turns bad, as all they think is P platers thinking they know how to skid a car and will now go out and try it, in fact in reality its the opposite, they teach you how to be a defensive driver, be aware of your surroundings **KEY WORD** as to many believe if they do the right thing then they wont die... there is no point in being right if your dead, just think about that before you criticize something that might save your life and make you a more aware and defensive driver.

Happy holidays everyone.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...

Last edited by UNR8D; 05-12-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: sentence structure
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #29
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
None, was going to do the AAMI one for the lower insurance but I can't be bothered because chances are it wont be reduced by much.
10% is better than a kick in the nads, and you dont want to become a better driver? maybe save your own life one day..... just saying.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #30
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not really Advanced Driving Courses, but I've done two Defensive Driving Courses! Quite helpful. Would love to do an Advanced Course one day.