Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bendix GCTs and DBA 4000 rotor issues

hey guys

I was reading the B series forum and people are having issues with shuddering from Bendix GCT pads and DBA slotted (mostly DBA 4000 series slotteds)
apparently there is an issue with the pads leaving resin deposits on the rotor causing the shudder etc...

are others having similar issues on AUs??

my other question is...
what pads are reccomended for use with 4000 series rotors that arnt gonna chew my wallet OR my rotors to shreds
i currently have Bendix Advance pads(presuming they are similar to GCTs as they were superseded by them)

thanks guys

Old 18-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I put some new bendix brakes a few weeks back and found the car would not stop properly. I stuck some ferodo excels in there and she now even stops. I dont like bendix.Bendix cant stop my wagon safely.Second time its happened.Gave em benefit of the doubt and tried them the second time to have them ripped and thrown in the middle of my garage flooor pos brakes.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

GCT's are the next step up from Advance, Advance are just brake pads while GCTs are apparently made to last a bit longer etc. I have Advance on my ute but theyre not up to scratch - theyre not a good enough pad for the way I drive (or should that be stop).

Cant comment on DBA's as I've never used them - always had RDA rotors because they are a cheaper product and do the same job. That, and for the 320mm brakes, a DBA rotor is about $400 - each.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What I can't understand is why on earth anyone would fork out for a great rotor like the 4000 and then just use a cheap pad on it. I am using DBA street slotted on mine atm (they're what came with the calipers and were pretty new) but I use Ultimates even with them.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I only recently put DBA 4000's (Premium) on my TE and GCT pads and have had no hassles what so ever. Also they produce next to NO brake dust aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
phildee

I had the DBA slotted (standard series) with GCT's, got shuddering after no time, by 4000odd km's they were screwed, had the rotors machined and a new set of GCT's on and had the issue come back within 2000km, I rang DBA and they said its due to the GCT being manufactured in layers or something along those lines and leaving a build up on the rotors.

Both are gone now, bought some cheap rotors and ferrodo pads and all has been good for the past 5000odd km's
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

russell im unsure what your refering to as forking out for the 4000 series rotor then getting cheap pads??? unless your talking the ferodo rubbish.. but then the excel ? ferodos are still $100 for a set...
and the Bendix pads arnt Coretech or Ferodo Zero rubbish... or any of the other cheap and nasty supercheap crapola

and i cant justify putting Bendix Ultimates on the car as they chew thru rotors which i believe makes them a bad match for that particular rotor combo for a street car???

unless other people have reccomendations for a decent street daily driver brake pad...??
Old 18-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
russell im unsure what your refering to as forking out for the 4000 series rotor then getting cheap pads??? unless your talking the ferodo rubbish.. but then the excel ? ferodos are still $100 for a set...
and the Bendix pads arnt Coretech or Ferodo Zero rubbish... or any of the other cheap and nasty supercheap crapola

and i cant justify putting Bendix Ultimates on the car as they chew thru rotors which i believe makes them a bad match for that particular rotor combo for a street car???

unless other people have reccomendations for a decent street daily driver brake pad...??
DBA 4000 are DBA's upper range rotor, aimed at drivers that punish their brakes. CGT's are not, more of a middle of the road pad. As for Ultimates they used to be "rotor rooters" but that was a long time ago. They're a lot easier on rotors now with the new compound (well not so new anymore) but they are still bloody dusty.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I dont recommend Bendix Advance pads or similar at all.

I had them on my EBXR8 years back. They caused hot sopts on the rotors and the whole pad and rotor setup had to be chucked.

I ended up getting ultimates and a set of Protex rotors fitted and had no problems.

This of course is dependant on your driving style. My style back then was probably regarded as more spirited.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got DBA5000 series to replace the 329mm premium rotors on my pursuit and Bendix are absolute garbage in the respect that you mention but when I replaced my brakes that was all they had at the time and you can be damn sure the cheap (not price wise) nasty rubbish wont be going on next time even if the car has to be off the road waiting for a special order.

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have seen so many problems from the DBA rotors ... so i decided to go with RDA slotted rotors. They ahve been excellent ... and I use Bendix GCT pads as well.

Front rotors lasted me 60,000km along with pads ... and that's driving Sydney stop-start traffic with decent loads in the back ... they pulled up great the entire time ... only reason to replace them was they were low ... still pulled up well with no dust or noise.

I just replaced the rear pads now ... they were low ... the rotors are still great on the rear ... so i left them as is.

The good thing about RDA is they are cheaper than the DBA stuff as well. I have been really happy impressed with this setup.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im trying to get away from a dusty pad...which the Advance on my car now are very minimal in dust compared to the ferodo crap i had on it when i got it...

so what do we reccomend guys??
Old 18-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the DBA 4000 rotors on my eb gt but not sure what pads. Got Ford to fit the rotors and they supplied the pads and the service guy said they fitted XR8 pads. Does anyone know what pads that would mean I have?
Thanks
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
GCT's are the next step up from Advance, Advance are just brake pads while GCTs are apparently made to last a bit longer etc. I have Advance on my ute but theyre not up to scratch - theyre not a good enough pad for the way I drive (or should that be stop).

Cant comment on DBA's as I've never used them - always had RDA rotors because they are a cheaper product and do the same job. That, and for the 320mm brakes, a DBA rotor is about $400 - each.
I'm with Austin. Had DBAs with Bendix Advance pads on the wagon and the rotors needed skimming in no time. The brake performance wasn't what I expected either.

I ended up replacing them with Rda slotted and QFM 500 pads, as part of the S1 to S2-3 upgrade. Much, much better.

On the sedan, I replaced the stock gear with Rda slotteds and the same QFM pads, all good, great stopping power.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

These QFM pads seem to be getting a good wrap from those using them yet the only place I've ever seen them available is on Ebay. Anywhere else you can get them?
Old 19-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
These QFM pads seem to be getting a good wrap from those using them yet the only place I've ever seen them available is on Ebay. Anywhere else you can get them?
Auto One stores.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Does anyone bed there brake pads in?
No one has mentioned the bedding in process being completed.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the bendix pads dont say to bed in... says they are ready to use
i personally always bed my pads in.. but yeah
Old 21-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #19
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Have a set of Kevlar pads an my XR6 series1