Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
fordman_01
DUB

Default fog light wiring help

hey all, i have just got my car back from the painters with the kit all fitted and sprayed up. its a TS50 kit. what i want to know is how to wire the fog lights up. i have already got the actual lights and brackets. what type of wiring kit do i need, is there a special type? and then how do i wire it all up.

ps. i know this should be in the audio/electrical section but there doesnt seem to be much attention there, so i thought this would be better haha.

cheers neil.

fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

didnt they come with wiring?

2 ways to do it - either wire them up to your high beams so they come on with them,or wire them to a seperate switch so you can turn them on whenever you want - this is what i would go with.

Downside with that option is that you will more thane likely have to use an aftermarket switch, but if you can hide it well that wont be an issue.
Old 27-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
didnt they come with wiring?

2 ways to do it - either wire them up to your high beams so they come on with them,or wire them to a seperate switch so you can turn them on whenever you want - this is what i would go with.

Downside with that option is that you will more thane likely have to use an aftermarket switch, but if you can hide it well that wont be an issue.
ok thanks mate, so is it illegal to have a aftermarket switch? and do u have any diagrams on how to do the wiring mate?

cheers
Old 27-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman_01
ok thanks mate, so is it illegal to have a aftermarket switch? and do u have any diagrams on how to do the wiring mate?

cheers
No not by any means illegal to have an aftermarket switch, but I remember back when I had my EF, I had a similar setup, and for it to pass rego I had to set it up so the lights only came on with the highbeams. I dont think youll have an issue with a seperate switch tho.

As for the wiring, I'll draw you up a diagram on the weekend after I pinch it from a Narva book :
Old 27-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just fitted a new front to my car but i'm being a slacko I know how to wire and fit the lights but for $88 autobarn will do it and i won't get stiff and sore . but what you need to do is feed a battery positive lead through the relay contacts to the lights then pick up either high beam for driving lights or parkers for fog lights and feed it to the relay coil through the switch . then connect the other end of the relay coil to earth. it is illegal to wire it in without the feed from the appropriate light circuit or without a switch to isolate the lights
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

With the TS50 lights you can wire them to come on with the parkers onwards, so parkers, low beam, high beam. This is due to them being below the headlight line and therefor classed as fog lights. So no need to wire them to come on only with highbeams, that is for driving lights (yes there are a difference, mainly where they are mounted)

As for wiring i'm not sure on the wire code for parkers, but i can tell you the wire code for the highbeam switch/wire. Check the wiring diagrams on here, and also search for previous threads. Wiring driving lights would/has been covered.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
fordman_01
DUB

cheers guys, very useful help so far
Old 28-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Here's a simple wiring diagram.

You can also use a 5 pin relay, which will have all of the above, plus an 87A terminal - just run 87 to one light, and 87A to the other light. Or you can run both from 87, and do nothing with 87A.

Easiest/safest way to do this is to have the relay in the engine bay near the battery, and pick up the parker light wire from the headlight switch in the cabin, or the fuse box (also in the cabin) and run it to one side of the fog light switch, then you only need to run one wire through the firewall from the fog light switch to the relay.

You can get foglight switches from Ford, but I find a small one with an inbuilt light does the job. If you do get one with its own light, then the switch is wired as above, plus an extra wire to earth/ground to complete the light circuit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Use JC's diagram. Reason being that they will only come on if the parkers are on (they stay on when you have the headlights on as well) AND they have a switch. Both are legal requirements (you need to be able to turn them off without having to turn off the headlights).
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

does anyone have a pic of the foglight switch from ford???? I believe some of the TE50's/TS50's had them, but have never seen one. would like to know what they look like & where they go.

Cheers
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
aye you
The Origional, The Best

my foggies are connected to a small switch i located under the door lock button near the steering wheel
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Here's a simple wiring diagram.

You can also use a 5 pin relay, which will have all of the above, plus an 87A terminal - just run 87 to one light, and 87A to the other light. Or you can run both from 87, and do nothing with 87A.

Easiest/safest way to do this is to have the relay in the engine bay near the battery, and pick up the parker light wire from the headlight switch in the cabin, or the fuse box (also in the cabin) and run it to one side of the fog light switch, then you only need to run one wire through the firewall from the fog light switch to the relay.

You can get foglight switches from Ford, but I find a small one with an inbuilt light does the job. If you do get one with its own light, then the switch is wired as above, plus an extra wire to earth/ground to complete the light circuit.
thanks JC for taking the time to do the diagram for me, ill defs use that
Old 28-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
fordman_01
DUB

so yeh all i have to basically do is connect it up so that i can turn it off and still leave the headlights on. thanks for your help so far guys
Old 28-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much all up for the kit and painting, if you don't mind me asking?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
How much all up for the kit and painting, if you don't mind me asking?
um no probs, um 2000 with kit painted this doesnt include the spoiler.................. which i am still looking for.. lol anyone got a TS50 spoiler?haha
Old 28-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post some photos, they look better IMO without the wing, as long as they are lowered.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Post some photos, they look better IMO without the wing, as long as they are lowered.
lol nah im gettin the wing so it looks more like a ts50 . i would lower it but it would touch everything cos of the skirts and bumpers. its already close to touching my drive way with like an inch to spare. it looks pretty low already cos of the 20s.

ill post the pics once iv got the wing.
Old 29-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Fog/driving lights are a good idea
JUST SO LONG AS YOU ONLY EVER USE THEM WHEN YOU USE YOUR HIGH BEAM

im sick of posh *** fags with their stupid damn fog lights annoying the crap out of me whilst driving around well lit city streets where normal headlights are more than sufficient.

/rant.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #19
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Fog/driving lights are a good idea
JUST SO LONG AS YOU ONLY EVER USE THEM WHEN YOU USE YOUR HIGH BEAM

im sick of posh *** fags with their stupid damn fog lights annoying the crap out of me whilst driving around well lit city streets where normal headlights are more than sufficient.

/rant.
But if they have their fog lights on they look so cool dude! Like look at me I have this extra set of lights and I insist you look at them!
But seriously he's on the mark there's nothing more pretentious than driving around with your foggies on
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post