Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Question rebuilt t5z or auto conversion

was talking to mal wood about a rebuilt t5z gearbox. his price was $1990 exchange or $2400 for the box by itself.

no one else seems to have any of the t5z gearboxes available.

i can get an auto conversion for $2000 from FTG, was thinking before the box goes in put a 3000rpm stall convertor. and have smoother power delivery.

how much should a rebuild cost if i wanted to keep the t5z.

i really cant make my mind up about this.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

this will sound weird given i have (and like) an auto, but i wouldnt swap a manual for an auto. the other way round maybe, but not this way.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

yeah i enjoy driving a manual, but i dont mind driving autos aswell.

i dunno i guess when the gearbox finally dies the desicion will be made. i have saved up about half of what i need for the new box, so either i borrow some cash of my old man or dont thrash it till i have enough.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 22-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It's not something I'd ever consider doing.
The driving satisfaction from a manual is unmatched by even the best autos.

Autos use more fuel, are heavier, less reliable, and generally slower and more lethargic unless heavily modified and optimised for 400m sprints. For any kind of point to point rapid driving, autos aren't in the running.

IMO it's not even close, manuals are just so far superior if you actually drive the vehicle.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Hey if you want an auto conversion I have one that you can have

Price, your manual conversion
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

lol stuffed box for stuffed box hey russell?

i am leaning toward the rebuilt t5z.

will talk to fisher performance here in SA this week about a rebuild and see what sort of price they give me.

if i can get it for around $1500 then i an get a lokka for the diff then all of my car is fixed and can start saving for koni adjustables and new springs.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 22-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
lol stuffed box for stuffed box hey russell?

i am leaning toward the rebuilt t5z.

will talk to fisher performance here in SA this week about a rebuild and see what sort of price they give me.

if i can get it for around $1500 then i an get a lokka for the diff then all of my car is fixed and can start saving for koni adjustables and new springs.
Word of advise, there are many cheaper places than Mal Wood that do box rebuilds. CRS do a rebuilt T5 outright for $1450, local 'box places will do yours for a hell of a lot less.

Look into the G-force internals from the states, $1k US for a full rebuild kit that is a hell of a lot stronger than the T5z. Just make sure it is to suit the aus T5.
Old 23-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are happy with the power output of it ATM then i wouldnt change it but if you are chasing big HP then it would be best to look at an auto as good manual gearbox conversions are very expensive for the AUs.
Before you spend big bucks on a full rebuild check to make sure that it isnt a small part that is causing the gearbox provlems. If all the gears are fine then you might just need new bearings and synchros which would be a very cheap fix in comparison to a $2000+ rebuild.
If you are after a Lokka i will sell you my complete diff with new housing, lokka with new and improved springs and 3.9 diff gears for $1000 plus your old diff. It has a slight problem with it ATM but i will get it all fixed before it is sent if you are interested. The diff is 5000kms old. PM me if your interested.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
5L
[ 5L ]

yeah i know that there would be cheaper places, but i want a good job done aswell.

would probably prefer a place in Adelaide as it is easier to go back there for warranty issues if they occur, rather than sending the box back to mal wood.

t5z seems strong enough, i will just make sure i get a rip shifter or similar to stop munching synchros. i dont drive the car anywhere near as hard now as i used to, so a t5z should hold up this time around.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 22-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
yeah i know that there would be cheaper places, but i want a good job done aswell.

would probably prefer a place in Adelaide as it is easier to go back there for warranty issues if they occur, rather than sending the box back to mal wood.

t5z seems strong enough, i will just make sure i get a rip shifter or similar to stop munching synchros. i dont drive the car anywhere near as hard now as i used to, so a t5z should hold up this time around.
A rip shifter will make it die quicker IMO. The main thing that kills these boxes isn't power or torque but more how you drive it. Fang it in gear all you like, slam it through the gears and she will pop.
Old 22-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
5L
[ 5L ]

ok well i wont worry about the ripshifter then, and i should stop doing 3rd gear chirpies i believe that is what killed it.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 22-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
ok well i wont worry about the ripshifter then, and i should stop doing 3rd gear chirpies i believe that is what killed it.
Yes you should.