Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lowering WQ Zetec

I would like to get some springs to lower my WQ Zetec, around the standard 30 - 35mm drop would be fine, has anyone yet lowered their WQ or looked into what springs are available?, I have just had a look at the 2006 King Springs catalogue and they dont have any springs at all for a WQ but do have them for the WP, is there any difference?, would the WP ones be OK?

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'd assume the WP ones would be fine

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The WP springs will be fine but if i recall correctly the WQ zetec has a different setup so the results will be different.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 03:27 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Yeah. The WQ Zetec is already lower than LX, so I don't know how much difference it would make....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I believe the Zetec isn't lower - but firmer. Can someone confirm? I know the Focus Zetec has 10mm lower suspension... but I think the Fiesta just has different damper rates etc

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Ford UK site says the Zetec S gets lowered & firmer suspension. I'm guessing thats what they speced on our Zetec. Not sure how much lower, but they can option the Zetec S with Eibach springs with a 35mm drop. & the Zetec S has cooler bumpers too.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
FESTEC

Just spoke to Toperformance Products who distribute Kings in Vic and they are getting back to me regading this, I have also be in contact with Proven Products in NSW regarding SPAX springs which are very popular on UKFN regaring the 45mm lowering springs which is what everone is using over there and they are getting back to me aswell so when I have more info I will let you all know.
The spax will be about $375 shipped to me(they will be coming from the UK aswell). :eclipsee_

I have a WQ Zetec aswell.

Cheers

Adrian
FESTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTEC
Just spoke to Toperformance Products who distribute Kings in Vic and they are getting back to me regading this, I have also be in contact with Proven Products in NSW regarding SPAX springs which are very popular on UKFN regaring the 45mm lowering springs which is what everone is using over there and they are getting back to me aswell so when I have more info I will let you all know.
The spax will be about $375 shipped to me(they will be coming from the UK aswell). :eclipsee_

I have a WQ Zetec aswell.

Cheers

Adrian
Thanks Adrian, I'll look forward to hearing how ya get on, Rob.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
FESTEC

O.k the kings springs are the same as on there web site KFFL-70 and KFRL-71 and they quoted me $159.50 each pair so a total of $319.10 not fitted, but these only lower the car by 30mm. I still like the option of the spax but they may be just to low. Also eibach do a spring which I am going to find out about aswell.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTEC
O.k the kings springs are the same as on there web site KFFL-70 and KFRL-71 and they quoted me $159.50 each pair so a total of $319.10 not fitted, but these only lower the car by 30mm. I still like the option of the spax but they may be just to low. Also eibach do a spring which I am going to find out about aswell.
Thanks Festec, those Kings part numbers are of course for the WP model, was the distributor you spoke to saying that the "WP springs will definately suit the WQ?", or was he guessing that they......well..... "might be OK?"
Eibach springs would be the way to go if they are available anywhere in Oz at a reasonable cost, they certainly seem to be the spring of choice in the UK if reading the forums on UKFN is anything to go by, Spax springs also seem to get good wraps in the forums in the UK.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I was talking to one of our suppliers yesterday, asked about the eibach springs, they have no listing, but he's going to call me back after he talks to his supplier, they may bring some out if theres enough interest.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
FESTEC

robjh80 no the guy said that would fit without any problems, I think that I am ganna go the spax as 30mm is just not low enough for me but 45mm is just perfect, still waiting on someone from eibach to get back to me aswell.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up my new alloys this afternoon and got talking to the tyre tech, I mentioned that I was going to lower the car and he said to make absolutely sure that a "Camber Kit" be installed as lowering the car changes the camber as much as 1.5 degrees and wears out the inside edge of the tyres real quick, the camber kit...."from what I could gather"..... is basically is a pair of off-centred eccentrical bolts that adjust the camber back out to normal rolling spec, did anyone else have to do this - install a Camber Kit?, WTF is he talking about?, come on Scarybear, you're in the wheel and tyre game, what's this dude on? :
Old 09-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Picked up my new alloys this afternoon and got talking to the tyre tech, I mentioned that I was going to lower the car and he said to make absolutely sure that a "Camber Kit" be installed as lowering the car changes the camber as much as 1.5 degrees and wears out the inside edge of the tyres real quick, the camber kit...."from what I could gather"..... is basically is a pair of off-centred eccentrical bolts that adjust the camber back out to normal rolling spec, did anyone else have to do this - install a Camber Kit?, WTF is he talking about?, come on Scarybear, you're in the wheel and tyre game, what's this dude on? :
When I lowered mine the inside edge wore out very quick...

Was easily fixed - apparently the Toe was totally out of wack. Fixed within 5 minutes

Old 10-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you lower you car you will as a result induce negative camber. A small amount is a good thing but too much will wear out your inside edge.

If you do anything to your suspension or tyres you should get a wheel alignment.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #16
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I had no camber issues at all, tyres are wearing fine.
I did do my own alignment though, some places work on a "close enough" basis

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post