Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ABC 4 Corners, investigation into animal cruelty

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/speci...110530/cattle/

Did anyone watch this report last night? It's truly barbaric the manner in which these animals are being treated.

The report is very graphic and may be distressing to some.

Old 31-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: ABC 4 Corners, investigation into animal cruelty

I have seen it and I have also seen inside what happens in Australian meat works... While the report is distressing I don't see how we can regulate something that happens offshore? The producers are going to be the ones who cop the punishment at this end if the government puts a stop to exports. Australia does not process enough of its own cattle, the cost of labour being the main reason. We have seen a number of smaller abattoirs go broke after the GFC, which has slowed the local demand.. Export is where alot of it is especially for the western qld / NT producers.

I simply don't think stop supply will help us as a nation, they need to look at other avenues.
Old 31-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I have seen it and I have also seen inside what happens in Australian meat works... While the report is distressing I don't see how we can regulate something that happens offshore? The producers are going to be the ones who cop the punishment at this end if the government puts a stop to exports. Australia does not process enough of its own cattle, the cost of labour being the main reason. We have seen a number of smaller abattoirs go broke after the GFC, which has slowed the local demand.. Export is where alot of it is especially for the western qld / NT producers.

I simply don't think stop supply will help us as a nation, they need to look at other avenues.
On the contrary, we give hundreds of millions of dollars to Indonesia, that gives us a say. Further to that MLA fund many of these facilities, provide training, yet this practice occurs.

What's the alternative, let it continue to happen? There is something fundementally wrong with their practices. Watch the doco, watch 'Tommy' trembing with fear as the beast witnesses others around him being tortured. Now tell me that's ok as there is no alternative. I think not!
Old 31-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
On the contrary, we give hundreds of millions of dollars to Indonesia, that gives us a say. Further to that MLA fund many of these facilities, provide training, yet this practice occurs.

What's the alternative, let it continue to happen? There is something fundementally wrong with their practices. Watch the doco, watch 'Tommy' trembing with fear as the beast witnesses others around him being tortured. Now tell me that's ok as there is no alternative. I think not!
Did I say it was okay? No. I dont believe its okay, but before everyone goes around suggesting we should all stop exporting cattle lets all sit down and have a think about it... The industry needs exports to survive....

It definately needs to be dealt with but having some government big nobs suggest that there needs to be a full ban on exports?? Hello? Do they want every livestock producer in the country to go broke? Losses in exports and an over supply in local production (we dont have the capacity to process anywhere near as many cattle as we export), would see the industry take a dive, and cattle prices plumet!

Therefore while I do not agree with what happens, I dont see how the producer at this end should have to suffer, hes not doing anything wrong, hes just trying to make a living.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Did I say it was okay? No. I dont believe its okay, but before everyone goes around suggesting we should all stop exporting cattle lets all sit down and have a think about it... The industry needs exports to survive....

It definately needs to be dealt with but having some government big nobs suggest that there needs to be a full ban on exports?? Hello? Do they want every livestock producer in the country to go broke? Losses in exports and an over supply in local production (we dont have the capacity to process anywhere near as many cattle as we export), would see the industry take a dive, and cattle prices plumet!

Therefore while I do not agree with what happens, I dont see how the producer at this end should have to suffer, hes not doing anything wrong, hes just trying to make a living.
Every livestock producer going broke? Sound like it came straight from Warren Truss' mouth. Wait, the sky is falling in as well.......

The industry could thrive, employing Australians in Australia, exporting meat.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've shot roo's, wild dogs and cats, even helped kill cattle and sheep for food on the farm.
But what I saw on that show was nothing short of absolute babarism. These people have absolutely no concept of pain and suffering.
I understand some cattle farmers will hurt over this but we as civilised people cannot tolerate this type of conduct for slaughtering animals.

The cattle should be slaughtered here, humanely, and it can still be done according to Muslim culture and exported already dressed or packaged.

There are slaughter houses here in Australia that do this for sheep to provide to the local Muslims, so why can't we do it for cattle.

I must say I am very impressed with the Agricultural Minister not sitting on his hands on this and calling for an immdiate ban on live exports. A refershing change to see a politician make a decision.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone here's interested here's the link to the petition, might take a while to sign, the sites rather swamped atm.
http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/an...-live-export?j

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Absolutely appalling.. I literally feel sick in the guts after watching that! Those poor animals..
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I've shot roo's, wild dogs and cats, even helped kill cattle and sheep for food on the farm.
But what I saw on that show was nothing short of absolute babarism. These people have absolutely no concept of pain and suffering.
I understand some cattle farmers will hurt over this but we as civilised people cannot tolerate this type of conduct for slaughtering animals.

The cattle should be slaughtered here, humanely, and it can still be done according to Muslim culture and exported already dressed or packaged.

There are slaughter houses here in Australia that do this for sheep to provide to the local Muslims, so why can't we do it for cattle.

I must say I am very impressed with the Agricultural Minister not sitting on his hands on this and calling for an immdiate ban on live exports. A refershing change to see a politician make a decision.
Feel the same way...I've seen some sick things in my lifetime, but this takes the cake. That poor steer shaking with fear - but they're oblivious. I can understand they're a different culture, but fear looks the same in any country...it's pretty hard to miss.

Australia is supplying the boxes for this and they're not being used for their designed purpose.

It's wrong.

But out of 100 facilities, the agriculture minister has only stopped Aussie cattle from going to three - I would hope that the three they've stopped sending cattle to are some of the ones on that footage.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
MrsLow006

I grew up on cattle farming properties, My mother had a pet name for all the cattle - We used to kill our own beast for our consumption and I remember my Dad would do the deed - he never let an animal suffer and watching the report made me sick to the stomach. I just shake my head at some humans nature.

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Education the key to most things, from a young age changing attitudes to how they treat animals.
As the post by MrsLow006 says there family would never let the animal suffer this attitude is past on to each generation.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Mondie
Firm member

It would be impossible for any normal person not to be repulsed at what was shown last night. l had to turn away a couple of times, while l expected to see some pretty appalling cruelty this was just beyond disgusting. It left me feeling pretty shaken.

Pulling live exports and washing our hands of the problem seems like an easy 'fix' but l dont see what it achieves morally. Animals will continue to die in the most inhumane way imaginable. There is a culture chasm but our best chance of improving this appalling situation is to continue to educate and work with the Indonesians while trying to introduce some baseline standards and expectations to the industry from which the Industry can build from. That can only be done if Australia stays involved and doesn't wash its hands of such cruelty.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I hope everyone here has signed the petition, if not please do so.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
bungarra

Having provided services to a major Australian Halal Abattoir, nothing surprising about what was shown. Halal slaughtering is the cruelest form of slaughtering available unlike the quick method used by non halal abattoirs.

It is the old Australian double standard, do it quietly in Australia where they wont let a camera on a halal abottoir site due to cultural reasons of the halal slaughterman or do it openly in Indonesia where they don't hide the facts.

Unfortunately it is a religious requirement for any animal that is used for food to be slaughtered for the worlds largest and fastest growing religion. If anything, we will see a rise of this type of abattoir method in Australia as well.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Halal and Kosher, are they similar i.e. cutting the animals throat whilst it is still conscious?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Just watched the program through the website and to say I am distressed would not even cover it. I'm far from a greenie but abuse to any living creature by human hand is completely unacceptable and I'm afraid the difference in our cultures is probably not solvable and I know cattle is just part of the animal abuse story - seen the dog videos.

I cannot really say much more without breaching the T & C.
I'm going outside to cuddle each one of my dogs.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The CAttle industry pays $3m a year to try and regulate it through training etc. BIG questions must be asked as to what the ******* is happening to the money!

I was sick to see the abuse... when that **** broke that poor cow's tail because it couldn't stand with a broken leg I wanted to take a crowbar to his face!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
zdcol71
zdcol71

You really do disengage before posting sometimes!!
Google anything to do with rearing/butchering livestock and you will find so many examples from the west that you should really wonder why you have just said what you did!!

Last edited by GT; 01-06-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: removed offensive quote post
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
z80
Banned

We have cows here at home. they are gentle, placcid, trusting animals.

To see them tortured that way not only exposes a sick handler it also shows that they have no idea about quality meat processing.

If you torture an animal to death the meat is tough and full of adrenalin.

Why would any intelligent person want to do all that?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

Gaela
I am going for a run now to get this anger out of my system, words cannot express how i feel currently , i don't think anyone completely understands the rituals different religions have...
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I haven't watched the video yet. (it doesn't buffer well at work)

While I understand the comments, who are we to decide what they do?
Why damage our industry because of what they do?
Once the animal is paid for and becomes theirs, our responsiblity for it's well-being ends.

If this was happening in this country - I'd be up in arms.
What another country chooses to do with the animals they have purchased, is not my (our) concern.

A little cold - I know; but where does it end? Some would comment that there are people around the world that are being treated just as poorly...
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every livestock producer going broke? Sound like it came straight from Warren Truss' mouth. Wait, the sky is falling in as well.......

The industry could thrive, employing Australians in Australia, exporting meat.
Thrive??

Its broke, thats why most smaller operations are now gone... Its a tough industry here. All the stoppage of exports would do here is create an oversupply and a reduction in cattle prices. The poor old consumer wouldnt see it thought, the only ones that will win if that happens is Woolworths and Coles!!

Having grown up with cattle and having them as pets I can't stand to see what is happening to these poor animals, but at the same time I know the industry survives thanks to a large percentage of live export. Cut the live exports out and all we will be left with here is an oversupply that nothing can be done with. The effects on the livestock industry as well as its associated counter parts - e.g. livestock transport industry would be huge!! This wont just affect some people, it will affect alot of people!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Watch 'Earthlings' guys....now that's a real eye opener.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Some peoples are barbaric by nature and a lot of the world's religions place no value on animals at all, other than food, there is no empathy or feeling connected to those animals. Most of the industrialised cruelty of animals is driven by the most pious and 'moral' god botherers of various persuasions. The two seem to go hand in hand.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Just watched the program through the website and to say I am distressed would not even cover it. I'm far from a greenie but abuse to any living creature by human hand is completely unacceptable and I'm afraid the difference in our cultures is probably not solvable and I know cattle is just part of the animal abuse story - seen the dog videos.

Gaela
You summed up what I felt after watching it. I do not understand how or why people do this. But we can do something. I have donated a sizable sum of money to Animals Australia. Donate to AA or RSPCA. Sign the GetUp petition. Notify your local member of parlaiment. Support Andrew Wilkie and Nick Xenophon. Tell Warren Truss he's got his head up his #&$! with his suggestion the cattle industry will collapse if the trade stops. The trade itself says that it is utter BS, and is outraged the manner their cattle are treated.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #26
dannyxm
was danny888

Whilst restraining myself from typing something horrible, i would simply like to say that if we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem.

Animal cruelty is something that i think should take a more prominent role in being an importance, as well as being regluated and always discussed.

Such acts need to be brought to the forum into the society and discussed.

Such cruelty cannot simply be allowed, reduced or accepted simply becouse the trade will suffer. The actions casued by these awful people should not be ignored and brushed over.

The export must simply stop.

The killing of animals in accordance with Muslim law can be done here, by Australians. This will allow more people to be employed here to undertake the demand overseas.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Best post i have ever read on here .. and it isn't even about cars !

I was going to have steak for tea but i am still horrified from watching that program ...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
bungarra

Quote:
Halal and Kosher, are they similar i.e. cutting the animals throat whilst it is still conscious?
Could be considered similar except where halal is supposed to be allowed th thrash around to extenuate the blood and loosen the muscles, kosher is to be done to minimize the pain the animal suffers and a rabbi must be present to ensure everything runs correctly and only a small amount of animals in Australia are done this way, the rabbi's have allowed animals to be stunned as per normal methods before the kosher slaughter is done, even abattoirs in Israel stun the animal first.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #29
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I have deliberately not watched the story (though I have read the transcript) as from what I have heard, I believe I would be quite distressed from what I see - yes, call me a wuss or whatever, but with some of the gruesome things I have already seen in my short 18 year life time, this I can without doubt miss.

I applaud the government for banning the export of live cattle to 11 of the 100 or so 'outed' abattoirs, but I do hope something can come to fruition in order to stop any other party responsible for these inhumane and downright barbaric happenings.

Again, I believe we need to start slaughtering the cattle here and send over the meat. It really will be the only way to stop this happening - provided this malpractice isn't occurring here too!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #30
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Yes, it is very shocking! And not acceptable in my opinion.

As it is a Multi million dollar industry..

Money, or loss of, as in most cases, will find it's own solution, what they need to do is have embedded inspectors at these places in question.. to ensure that people are trained in, and then pratice correct behaviours where animal slaughter is being undertaken.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Closed Thread