Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Good drivers may get registration and licence fees discounts after speed camera inqui

QLD Good drivers may get registration and licence fees discounts after speed camera inquiry

Andrew MacDonald From: The Courier-Mail April 08, 2011 12:00AM

GOOD drivers might get discounts on registration and licence fees following an inquiry into fixed speed cameras.

Motorists also will get access to updated lists of fixed speed camera sites on the internet after the Government fully supported 10 and partially supported one of 15 recommendations from last year's Economic Development Committee inquiry into the safety benefits of the cameras.

In tabling the response in State Parliament yesterday, Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said the benefits of rewarding speed-compliant drivers with possible discounts to registration and licensing fees would now be investigated.

The department would consider offering rewards to drivers under the age of 25 who remained infringement-free during their first three years of driving. Open licence holders who went five years without incurring speeding fines may also get discounts when renewing their licences.

The concept had previously been rejected.

Meanwhile, the Government will look at using civilians instead of police officers to operate mobile speed cameras.

In supporting the inquiry's recommendation, the Government said "non sworn" technicians already worked on fixed speed and red light cameras.

But the Government did not support four of the committee's recommendations, including that laws be modified to allow a proportion of speed camera revenue be used to make council-controlled roads safer.

The government response said funding from camera revenue was "limited" and needed to be "prioritised", adding that councils already received road funding.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Default Re: Good drivers may get registration and licence fees discounts after speed camera inqui

So being speed compliant automatically makes you a "good" driver does it?
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good drivers may get registration and licence fees discounts after speed camera inqui

It does in Queensland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So we have dob in a hoon
Now the government wants to use civilians to operate mobile speed cameras

So whats that mean LESS cops on the beat ???

IF the government didnt worry about being so sneaky about all this
Had more cop cars running around theyre would be less incidents

I see all the revenue from speeding goes to a good cause
What ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
So being speed compliant automatically makes you a "good" driver does it?
According to government Yes. Clearly the only problem on the road is speeding. Drivers are perfect in every other way.
That's the way I see it since they only focus speed. They must be right.

Well if NSW wants to adopt this I am happy with that. I will happily take reductions to my licence and/or rego costs since I have never been fined.

Quote:
But the Government did not support four of the committee's recommendations, including that laws be modified to allow a proportion of speed camera revenue be used to make council-controlled roads safer.
I thought road safety was governments Number 1 Priority. That is why they have so many speed cameras right??
Well the above quote shows they don't care about road safety at all. Its all about making money.

I guess after everyone takes their personal cut of the speed camera income there is not much money left. They rest pays for flights for pollies to go somewhere and shake a few hands and have a photo op.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Government will look at using civilians instead of police officers to operate mobile speed cameras.

In supporting the inquiry's recommendation, the Government said "non sworn" technicians already worked on fixed speed and red light cameras.
Er where in QLD does the government use non sworn "technicians"???? i still see QLD Police officers working on fixed cameras here in the north?
And the idea of using "civilians" for speed cameras just proves that its a revenue thing which is ever expanding for more and more revenue...

would like to read the "act" where it allows civilians to operate cameras etc..

Quote:
Of course not, these cash cows are sacred and belong to the state. Just wait until councils are recognised in the constitution and have the same level of power as the state.... then we will see council run speed cameras.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Turboconvert

yes we qld drivers are just that perfect...... stop the speeding and there is nothing else to focus on. ROFL sorry could not help myself.
Anyways back to the point. Yes there are many other areas that will also need focus but this is a good incentive for once. If this goes thru, people will only have themselves to complain if they dont get a discount on their rego. So in affect, if for 5 years you dont speed, you will save forking out more money to the government, plus you will have a reduced rego. Even if the 'discount' is there absorbing the increase in cost that seems to have been happining a lot in the past 3/4 years.

Bf xr6 turbo sedan, 6 SP auto, Leather/suede interior
Turboconvert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
It does in Queensland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does in Vic, we already get discounts on license renewal if you have a good driving history (which means you haven't been caught speeding for so many years) you pay a reduced amount. I recently renewed my license and received the discount.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what I hear, u people in qld need reductions, They seem to rip you blind for rego. Ours aint much better tho. I guess i dont get my (vic) cheap licence renewal. I got done for 53 in my street bout a month ago.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

License fees......

Hmm what do we get for the money?

Well, there is the driver training....no none of that.
The improved roads.....none of that either.

Ah we get to employ public vegetables....of course.

I was awarded my pilots license 20 odd years ago and have never had to pay anymore since. It does not need a renewal payment to CASA every few years but it DOES require that I have a yearly medical and comply with recency requirments and sit for a BFR (flying test) every 2 years (or IFR renewal every year back when I cared about clouds).

How about this for an idea.

If you sucessfully complete an advanced driving course/test every year you get free licence and rego........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Free licences??? Complete advanced driver training?
Your speaking with forked tongue....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the report e-mailed to me by the Govt. It's just another B/S whitewash that props up the spin that speed cameras save lives. "Speed" can be construed as driving 61 kph in a 60 kph zone.

It also states that 25% of fatalities are speed related.
Well hello !!! What's being done about the other 75%???

Here's the link if you want to read it ... http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...es/Report4.pdf
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not so bad, here in Vic we get discount for being so called good drivers and private companys operate speed cameras. I see it as freeing up police resources which could be better used, like chasing down so called hoons. LOL.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would be nice flappist but we all know the 16bn in revenue from registrations of which sfa went back to the roads. Would mean they (fat cats) would have to tightn their spending belts. That's not
Going to happen :-/

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
License fees......

Hmm what do we get for the money?

Well, there is the driver training....no none of that.
The improved roads.....none of that either.

Ah we get to employ public vegetables....of course.

I was awarded my pilots license 20 odd years ago and have never had to pay anymore since. It does not need a renewal payment to CASA every few years but it DOES require that I have a yearly medical and comply with recency requirments and sit for a BFR (flying test) every 2 years (or IFR renewal every year back when I cared about clouds).

If you sucessfully complete an advanced driving course/test every year you get free licence and rego........
I like this idea, but they would think of ways to sting you for the advanced driving course...and we will be stung... :(

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Imagine how many mobile speed cameras they will need to set up to make up for all that lost revenue.
They will need to reduce the speed camera tolerance even more. You will get fined for doing 60.01 in a 60 zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
They set up an RBT every now and then.
Have a few ads about driver fatigue.

The rest has been put into the "too hard basket"
Old 08-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
They will need to reduce the speed camera tolerance even more. You will get fined for doing 60.01 in a 60 zone.
haha, nah you will be done for doing 56k's because you didn't wipe of 5
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
already happening in NSW Macquarie bank already operate mobile cameras, and they say it's not revenue raising

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Won't happen.

I questioned an insurance dealer one time about why our car insurance went up by $200 in a year, and he said "increased claims from young drivers". I asked what that had to do with me, as I had been insured since 1982 and had no claims whatsoever...why didn't they lower the premiums of people who never made claims, and increase it for those who made "a lot" of claims? He said dismissively that a system like that would be discriminatory against drivers who made a lot of claims and would be virtually punishing them for thier bad driving record and they couldn't do that.

At this stage my head exploded.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

a system like that would be discriminatory against drivers who made a lot of claims and would be virtually punishing them for thier bad driving record and they couldn't do that.
Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

Apparently there are more crashes in the 26-31? age group now then the 25 and less group.
I don't know how true that is but Perhaps its that generation that is bad drivers and not just 'young inexperienced drivers'
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

What they really mean is those who speed will have to pay more for their license. Those excellent speed compliant drivers will just the same fee as now.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

From now on i'll drive 55 everywhere and stop at roundabouts until they are completely empty, so i'll be considered a good driver!!!!!!!!
Cops need to become more stringent with general incompetance, rather than all out rule enforcement. This will reduce the road toll. One can tell by simply following someone whether the're competant or not. If i were a police officer 50 percent of drivers would have big issues, whether they were "breaking the law" or not. An accident waiting to happen in my books. My grain of salt.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
From now on i'll drive 55 everywhere and stop at roundabouts until they are completely empty, so i'll be considered a good driver!!!!!!!!
Cops need to become more stringent with general incompetance, rather than all out rule enforcement. This will reduce the road toll. One can tell by simply following someone whether the're competant or not. If i were a police officer 50 percent of drivers would have big issues, whether they were "breaking the law" or not. An accident waiting to happen in my books. My grain of salt.
Very good point...I'm less worried about someone doing 10kph over the limit in a good modern car (or well maintained older car) than someone toddling along at 90 in a ratty old crapbucket of a car on the highway weaving all over the lane...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
already happening in NSW Macquarie bank already operate mobile cameras, and they say it's not revenue raising
Now here is a thought.

If they board of Macquarie knowingly allowed them to enter into a business venture that was not profitable I suspect they are breaking several laws.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
What they really mean is those who speed will have to pay more for their license. Those excellent speed compliant drivers will just the same fee as now.
I agree, if the previous form of the QLD government is anything to go by, they will not give a discount to "good" drivers. They will instead raise everyones license and rego fees but if you are a "good" driver yours will be discounted to the present rate. The result is positive public impression and more revenue, a win/win for any government. I suspect this will just be smoke and mirrors again.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #26
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I had the report e-mailed to me by the Govt. It's just another B/S whitewash that props up the spin that speed cameras save lives. "Speed" can be construed as driving 61 kph in a 60 kph zone.

Here's the link if you want to read it ... http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...es/Report4.pdf
I actually printed this out last night and read it...it was a waste of paper and ink.

What really got me was that they've put a 'social price' on death and injury, and would appear the red cross is holding the hospitals to ransom (if that speal about the cost of blood is accurate).

I get a magazine from RACQ with my roadside assist, and actually opened it this month, and found an article, followed by the RACQ's own admission that they believe there is too much emphasis on speed limit reductions (with regard to the NRSS) when it's not the 'real' problem.

Interestingly also, the RACQ is generally opposed to mandated ethanol fuels, among other things the state believes is important. (http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/advocacy_for_motorists - worth a read).

Then I found the report done by RACQ (as to it's validity, well, that's another story I guess)

http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets...rap_Report.pdf

The interesting part was page 7, the worst links...The Bruce Highway features 11 times for different sections - which is not surprising given another article read indicated the Bruce Highway has been cut 563 times between 2004 and 2010.

So whilst we 'may' get registration and licence fee, our roads are still crap...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Its not so bad, here in Vic we get discount for being so called good drivers and private companys operate speed cameras. I see it as freeing up police resources which could be better used, like chasing down so called hoons. LOL.
I received my renewal today with the discount, a pleasant surprise for once.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #28
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Great if you are a has been racing driver running an advanced driving school, but value for the public?

Provide some stats/evidence that these courses provide changes for the better in people that are COMPULSORILY made to attend them, research Ive seen says not.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #29
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
I received my renewal today with the discount, a pleasant surprise for once.
yes, got mine recently too, but big deal, $30 or so discount for doing the right thing for the last 10 years, is that really going to change the behaviour of anyone that think they are above speed limits?

It would certainly make a bigger impression if the licence fee was yearly(for a smaller amount) and you had to pay out the cost of any fines received in the last year again to renew your licence for the next year.

Cheaper rego for no fines, how would it work for those that dont actually own the cars they drive? What happens when the car changes hands, it starts at bargain level again, even though the person now owning it has had their licence continually suspended during their lifetime?

Would it be fairer to link the personal injury insurance with our licences rather than a vehicle, then have the licence graded and costed according to risk level(which could be determined by previous incidents or infringements).

We know that there is a correlation between speed and risk of incident, but:

One stat that has never been produced, do the people that receive more speeding infringements actually have more accidents/incidents?

Last edited by sudszy; 21-09-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 21-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #30
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Now the government wants to use civilians to operate mobile speed cameras

So whats that mean LESS cops on the beat ???
Had more cop cars running around theyre would be less incidents
???
Puzzled, you dont want civilians operating speed cameras, but you want more police cars freed up to catch other driving behaviours or catching the "real" criminals?

Personally, Id not want to be a civilian camera operator, too many idiots out there that would be perhaps motivated to assault the operator or simply just make life very unpleasant.