Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default FPV GT First drive!

Decisions decisions - GTP or GTE? Dark blue or light blue?

Either way, can't wait to get my hands on this beast.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...005-165rc.html

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Falcman0o7
Banned

Yeh Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Falcman0o7
Banned

I can't wait to see a comparison against HSV! This thing is gunna SMASH IT! LOL! Excuse my teen attitude but im exited
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know how you feel. I don't think it's just teens that will get excited by this one.
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
spvd02

Still nose-heavy?? Either that or it was never as bad as it was made out to be.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those stripes look soooo out of place there. They don't even flow with the lines of the car... what were they thinking?!!! They look like hockey sticks!
But, even with the terrible stripes, I can't wait to see how it competes with some of the HSV products.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Those stripes look soooo out of place there. They don't even flow with the lines of the car... what were they thinking?!!! They look like hockey sticks!

I can't wait to see how it competes with some of the HSV products.
yeah, the 2 comments at the end of the smh article summed the stripes up pretty well.............
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Falcman0o7
Banned

I like the stripes and im sure you could have them deleted, we complain about the V8 not being good enough so we get an all alloy 5.0 supercharged donk that i'm sure will kick HSV's butt and people are whinging about stripes! Grrr!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I more keen to hear how it handles and an actual comparison with HSV.
I am concerned the lack of suspension/tyre work with the GT might hold back some of what the engine/tranny can really do.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02
Still nose-heavy?? Either that or it was never as bad as it was made out to be.
Yeh I found that strange too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH
The lighter, all-alloy V8 engine has shaved around 30kg off the GT’s kerb weight, mostly over the front end. That should have improved handling: in reality, there doesn’t seem to be much difference from before given the GT is still nose heavy and in tight, bumpy corners has a slight reluctance to turn-in smoothly.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good article although I was thinking it was more like 45-50kg lighter in the front
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Good article although I was thinking it was more like 45-50kg lighter in the front
The engine alone has lost 47kg according to FPV.

It's put on weight elsewhere.

Engine sounds pretty beefy for a stocker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQoYykLmKA
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Dam that's nice. Hmm would look good in the garage, might have to keep an eye out. Should look even better with 20" and lowered a little. Dam I want one!!!!!!!

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really dont like the new stripes, so much effort has gone into improving performance, and then they add those stripes, they do look out of place....dont they? Maybe it would grow on me.
Still, exciting times ahead!
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

The stripes can be optioned out.

I think I'll wait til my drive day than read what a journo thought of it.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercharged GT Falcon has landed words - Joshua Dowling
FPV says this is the car to challenge HSV in performance and sales, with predictions to match its arch-rival by 2012
» Get the best price on a new FPV Ford Performance Vehicles has released the fastest and most powerful car ever to wear the GT badge in Australia – and it has HSV firmly in its sights. The new supercharged GT Falcon hit the road today when it was revealed to the media in Melbourne ahead of a celebration of the car at Bathurst this weekend, and arrival in showrooms from next month.

The new cars feature FPV's locally developed supercharged version of Ford's new-generation Coyote V8. The 5.0-litre engine is not only lighter and more compact than the engine it replaces, it also makes more power.

Ford Performance Vehicles boss Rod Barrett is so confident about the new car he reckons it will overtake its arch enemy in sales within two years.

"Sedan for sedan, we'll come close to beating HSV next year," Barrett told the Carsales Network.

"This is the car that is going to take the challenge to HSV. We may not overtake them in sales in our first full year – 2011 – but we will build momentum and get very close in 2012."

Barrett said FPV had "deliberately been aggressive with pricing" on the new model. The GS sedan starts at $56,990, while the GT is priced from $71,290. Ute models kick off at $51,990.

"We think a 4 per cent increase in price for a 6 per cent increase in power is a fair deal. But we won't be building cars to park them on grass, our customers like to order their cars specially and that means they're more exclusive."

While FPV retains its ‘hero' turbocharged six-cylinder models, the Ford performance offshoot says 70 per cent of its sales are V8 powered. This could increase with the arrival of the new supercharged models.

The new FPV GS has a 315kW and 545Nm version of the Aussie-developed supercharged V8 while the FPV GT has 335kW and 570Nm.

The claimed 0 to 100km/h time of 4.9 seconds for the GT makes it the fastest Falcon ever. The new entry-level GS models are claimed to accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in just 5.1 seconds with the six-speed auto.

The only blot on an impressive report card is the fact that the GS comes only with standard XR8 brakes, not the race-bred Brembos of the GT – or its HSV rival which has four-piston high performance brakes standard across the range.

"We wanted a sharp entry point with the GS and the reality is that, with the [$4000] optional Brembo brakes it is still cheaper than a HSV Clubsport. Plus we don't charge extra for automatic transmission... Last year's limited-edition GS simply reinforced what we suspected, that there is absolutely a market for an entry-level FPV model," FPV General Manager Rod Barrett said.

"The GS provides our customers with a more affordable entry into the range. It broadens the market for potential FPV purchasers, and at the same time delivers tremendous value.

"Perhaps the most exciting thing about our new GS is that while it matches the output of our previous Boss 5.4-litre V8... It actually smoothly out-performs it in every way.

"It's faster and it's more fuel efficient, but perhaps most importantly, the supercharged configuration provides a tremendous 'drive' … This is a fun car, and we think it's going to be enormously successful for us," Barrett stated.

It's the GTs that will get much of the limelight, however.

FPV says to visually mark the arrival of FPV's new supercharged engine, it has reprised 'hockey stick' body graphics "reminiscent of the famous 1970 Boss Mustang". The GT and GT-P variants get the in-your-face stripes plus Boss 335 badging.

The hotshoe models also get matching bonnet and rear wing graphics, and increased FPV identification via badging on the steering wheel, instrument cluster and key fob. There's also a new-design build badge.

The GT-E model is less obvious and arrives sans graphics. But all three models get a new quad-pipe bi-modal exhaust system which FPV says "enhances both performance and the all-important exhaust note of the new cars".

FPV says it expects to sell 1700 cars this year, down from previous years but this was caused by a dip in sales during the changeover to the new model.

Price guide

FPV GS ute $51,990 (up $2040)
FPV GS sedan $56,990 (up $2040)
FPV GT sedan $71,290 (up $3400)
FPV GT-P sedan $81,540 (up $2800)
FPV GT-E sedan $82,540 (up $2800)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

like some here, i reckon the stripes would have to be a delete for me also, if the stipes dropped to the curve in he doors & ran along to the gt badge & the top stripes continued to the bonnet ones which then flowed onto the buldge like the previous fg gt then i reckon they would look great..
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

LOVE IT!!!

The stripe makes me think XW GT cross XY GT...

I think this will put the GT back on top... and HSV will be shaking in their boots...

Though - having said that... I know that HSV has poached one of the main engineers that helped develop the Coyote GT...

So beware the counter-punch from HSV...

But i know which one i'll be backing!!!

FPV - 4 - ME!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Nice to see a basic review, cant wait for full on articles outlining its potential at the track

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Infact I was way off with the stripe inspiration...

Take a look at this:
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

These cars look great, and will certainly have the go to match their looks.

The GTP and GTE look awesome and I could see a number of execs going for the GTE.

Great stuff Ford and FPV!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That pic just above is a much better pic in my opinion than the "king of the mountain" ad pic they used.. showing a very high ride height and a weird angle..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep thats it, almost exactly the same
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
Assassinbm

Boss 302 was the very first thing that came to my mind when I saw it, age must be showing......
Assassinbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #25
Loosecannon

The stripes are just wrong, suits the 70's style stang, but NOT the modern GT ( BA-BF is much better)

However....The running gear is 1st class
Loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #26
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone able to photoshop the racoon eyes out, I think the stripe package would look much better without them. Just my 2c

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Very sexy!! Maybe i will have to trade to el in!!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

The new wheels definitely give it a more 'sporting' flavour, but no surprise that the 5th Anniversary GT wheels have made a come back. Even blind Freddy saw that one coming.

Overall I dont mind it, looks good, the stripes Im still not sure about but they're just Vinyl so no real dramas there. Still looks better then its competition.

They still manage to take the worst photos that make it look like a monster truck.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Anyone able to photoshop the racoon eyes out, I think the stripe package would look much better without them. Just my 2c
Here you go. Note that I am crap at photoshop in fact this is the first time I have done this.

Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #30
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default V8 - Our Opinion

Another 1st drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by By JAMES STANFORD 06/10/10

Our opinion

We like - Outstanding engine, louder exhaust, improved manual clutch feel, better fuel consumption, affordability of GS

Room for improvement - Some visual upgrades would have been nice, wider rear tyres needed to get the power down, price increases are justified but still not nice, out-of-date start button

FORGET the same-same exterior, this is a very different GT.

The all-new boosted V8 under its bulging bonnet has turned the GT into a rampaging muscle car.

It’s far better than the car it replaced and, from our first impression, is stronger than its opposite number at Holden Special Vehicles.

Importantly, the new Boss V8 is also now the most muscular engine in the range, edging out the turbo six-cylinder from the F6. That a six-cylinder was the best engine in the range was a sore point among FPV V8 enthusiasts.

They don’t have to worry anymore. The F6 is still a cracker, but the new boosted V8 delivers its power surge even faster.

You get an idea it is something special when you press the Engine Start button.

The Boss fires into life before settling down and doing a little ‘hot cam wobble’, a mild jiggle reminding you this is a proper performance car.

Play with the accelerator and you can hear the supercharger whine as well as a mighty V8 exhaust note.

Release the clutch, press the go pedal and everything goes blurry. The acceleration is astounding.

Gone is the doughy mid range of the last engine; this one goes bananas from about 2000rpm and does not let up until the rev limiter kicks in at 6200rpm. The acceleration is simply extraordinary.

Don’t worry about having enough grunt; the problem is controlling your foot to try to avoid tripping the traction control. It is not easy, given all that power feeding through the rear tyres.

The slingshot acceleration is accompanied by a rich combination of supercharger whine and exhaust bark.

It depends on the conditions, but the supercharger can be quite loud. Is it too loud? Not for us. We only really hear it when when getting stuck in, and even if you aren’t a fan, you will appreciate the amazing performance it is enabling.

The exhaust sounds angry under heavy acceleration, and is louder than before, but it could always be louder.

Interestingly, the best place to listen to the GT is from outside the car. Standing near one as it accelerates is a great aural experience. The exhaust belting out those quad pipes is thunderous, but the sound is enriched by the hint of supercharger whine which adds some extra menace to the sound.

FPV has tuned the exhaust as well as it can while staying legal. It has done some great work with the electronics to generate some crackle and pop when backing off the throttle.

Tuned to work more at low speeds, the engine makes a great rumble when eased off. It also makes a terrific bang when backing off the accelerator to change up a gear.

This is the kind of stuff that makes buying and owning a muscle car worthwhile.

FPV staff warned that the biggest problem we would face on the drive would be keeping under the speed limit, given the furious performance of the engine.

As FPV suggests, owners really need to do need some track time to fully explore their cars.

Part of the problem is this engine’s willingness to rev. It is super smooth and wants to go all the way to 6000rpm – and fast.

The engine can be enjoyed in other ways, such as its ability in overtaking or climbing a hill where the copious torque means not having to change down. Even in the tall sixth gear, which allows for effortless cruising below 1500rpm, the engine can pull up considerable inclines.

FPV has also improved the clutch feel. The previous FPV V8 left the driver with one calf larger than the other due to its heft. The new clutch is far lighter. The shifter also moves from gate to gate a little more easily.

The ZF six-speed automatic is still a great transmission and works well with the torquey engine. The only thing missing now is steering-wheel-mounted paddles which are standard on all other performance cars (except HSV).

We also drove the GS, running the slightly less powerful engine, and it is also impressive.

While the last GS and the GT felt almost identical in terms of performance, there seems to be more of a contrast this time around. The GS isn’t gutless – it has more mumbo that most of us would ever need – but it doesn’t have quite the explosive acceleration of the GT.

That’s good because GT owners won’t feel silly for shelling out the extra cash.

FPV’s lighter engine appeared to help the car enter and run through bends. We will need more time in the car, but it appears as though the reduced weight is helping to ease the nose-heavy feel of previous V8 Fords.

The suspension set up still translates into a comfortable ride, in the mould of a grand tourer suitable for Australia’s imperfect roads. That said, a firmer set-up could help tie it down a bit more as there is a tendency to float and pitch in some conditions.

The softer set-up is probably a deliberate attempt to help with traction, and that can be problem when trying to shoot out of a bend. It feels as if the rear tyres need to be considerably wider.

We didn’t really drive for long enough at the launch to get a real-world fuel economy figure.

The computer showed 15L/100km after the car was given a hard workout – not too bad at all.

FPV engineers say the engine returns figures below 10L/100km on highway runs.

One of the highlights of the new engine is its appearance. FPV has spent some money making it look good rather than simply sticking on a cheap plastic cover. The massive intact ducting funnel with its big air cleaner is the highlight of the engine bay. It gives a clear indication that this engine means business.

The new stripe kits are not really our cup of tea, but we have to admit our inner bogan was attracted to a black GT with gold stripes.

The fact that there are no other visual upgrades, apart from slightly different wheels, might turn off some potential customers, but most will be overlook this given the tremendous advances made under the bonnet.

The interior hasn’t changed, apart from the FPV steering wheel badge, and that’s OK because it still has a modern feel although we do have an issue with the Engine Start button.

These are not a unique feature any more, in fact the Focus XR5 starts up when you press a similar button without needing to insert a key. In the case of the FPVs, the driver still has to insert the key, turn it and then press the big red button. It all seems a bit naff.

Still, this is only a minor niggle in what is a brilliant package.

The new Boss is a remarkable engine. It transforms the GT and GS into storming muscle cars and finally delivers Ford V8 fans an engine to be truly proud of.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577B3007B9A90