Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
azaxr8

Default Survelliance

Hey guys, lately i've had constant vandals touch my car at night while i sleep, de-badge it, loosen wheel nuts, keyed. Unable to put it in the garage as it's already taken but i personally believed it's targeted attacks as it has happend when im at work both times (im a dity miner)

What i ask?

As i'm unfortunately able to use the garage to store my car at night time, i'm chasing down some decent day/night survelliance cameras that are able to record 8-9 hours easily at a distance of about 10 metres. If anyone has any idea or can put me onto a decent website, shop that would be great.

Thanks guys

azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

In this case eBay is your friend. Get some IR cameras that are motion detection and record to a HD. That way you have no issue with space. Don't skimp on the cameras and especially the cabling.

I know a good installer if you want to go that way.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

How about some sensor security lights, Or a car alarm system that goes off when someone goes near it?

Could be a cheaper option for you.

If your car is being keyed and vandalised it may be cheaper to park it at the airport where you fly out. - $45 a week where I park - compared to a
$2000 plus paint job.
Old 28-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just check your legal obligations with that- I'm fairly sure you're required to advise anyone who could potentially be recorded that they are on camera. ie. "This area is under video surveillance" signs.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Hire a midget with a pitchfork to guard the vehicle at night for you. Seriously, though, you probably do need to sign the fact you are filming someone or it can't be used against them in court. Pretty messed up but hey thems the breaks..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Just check your legal obligations with that- I'm fairly sure you're required to advise anyone who could potentially be recorded that they are on camera. ie. "This area is under video surveillance" signs.
Not true.
Old 28-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
How about some sensor security lights, Or a car alarm system that goes off when someone goes near it?

Could be a cheaper option for you.

If your car is being keyed and vandalised it may be cheaper to park it at the airport where you fly out. - $45 a week where I park - compared to a
$2000 plus paint job.
This all happens when the car is at my house, thought about a car alarm but i really want to catch them and know who they are. I'm not going to do harm i just rather talk to them and fix it rather then taking it to the cops and possibly causing more of a agravated response from the culprits.

I'll look into the laws of having to have sigs but thanks for that.
Old 28-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
3vXT

I'm pretty sure you can set up cameras without a sign in this example. It might depend on where its pointing though and how easy it is for people to gain access from the street.

You can set up a camera in your own home, turn it on when you go out, film anyone that brakes in and you don't need a sign (because the only people being filmed are braking the law). Not sure about the jerks that put hidden cameras in toilets and showers though, i assume there is laws against that.
If you own a shop and set up cameras to film everyone in the hope of catching a shoplifter or something then you need the signs to tell the people that aren't braking the law that they are being cameraed. Also you have to inform your employees and give them prior notice (the signs might be enough) even if you think they are the ones stealing stuff.

Pretty sure thats accurate but you'd want to check with someone that knows for sure.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Not true.
NSW Police say otherwise. They instructed a member of my family to stop recording illegal activity on my grandmothers property, even though these people have been harrassing my family and trespassing for some years.

Rather than conjecture, it may be better to find a solicitor and get their advice.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Rock ape

You would think the police would be happy. Your doing there job for them.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

film, identify and sort them out...the only breaks will be their bones!

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surveillance is the correct spelling.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Surveillance is the correct spelling.
You mean...YOUR keyboard is NOT broken?

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Get a big dog, nothing makes people think twice about doing things like that than a big menacing gaurd dog!
Old 28-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
xr 2 door
go the fords

i have 9 security cameras in my shop havent be told to put any signs up security company who put them in put one little sticker on front door .might be a sticker in box when you buy kit.dick smith sell kits.
xr 2 door is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #16
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
NSW Police say otherwise. They instructed a member of my family to stop recording illegal activity on my grandmothers property, even though these people have been harrassing my family and trespassing for some years.

Rather than conjecture, it may be better to find a solicitor and get their advice.

I know in Queensland I can walk down the city mall & there are camera's, theres no signs indicating I'm going to be filmed. Same with going to the train station - no signs.

Even invest in a couple of cheap signs and a sensor light to begin with, may be a deterrant.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the larger supermarket chains just removed all indications there are cameras recording the customers activities, no signs, nothing.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember years ago I wrote some simple software to work with a cheap $10 web cam. Basically I had my web cam setup to take a pic at regular intervals and drop the file in a folder on my desktop. I'd then pick up the image and look for changes indicating movement. If I detected movement then I'd send an alert. At that stage the alert was to my work email address. You can buy cameras nowadays that apply a delta on the device and do much the same thing.

I've used http://www.ozspy.com.au/ for my equiment in the past. They've been great quality and are good to deal with. Very knowledgable too.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you get one of these...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geynA...layer_embedded
sorry i had too , Jaycar has camera`s and stuff too i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL trunk monkey, hilarious!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most places you can record film but not sound. Once you start adding sound, both/all parties must be informed.

Dept of Justice website for your state may help. A good installer or retail place should be able to help out with regulations.
Old 28-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #22
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-0351
film, identify and sort them out...the only breaks will be their bones!

Exactly, Never would i want to cause violence :
Old 28-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I remember years ago I wrote some simple software to work with a cheap $10 web cam. Basically I had my web cam setup to take a pic at regular intervals and drop the file in a folder on my desktop. I'd then pick up the image and look for changes indicating movement. If I detected movement then I'd send an alert. At that stage the alert was to my work email address. You can buy cameras nowadays that apply a delta on the device and do much the same thing.

I've used http://www.ozspy.com.au/ for my equiment in the past. They've been great quality and are good to deal with. Very knowledgable too.
The middle range Logitech webcams have motion detection software that records when a movement threshold is met. The threshold is adjustable.

There is also Webcam Timershot by Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx

Program download: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #24
old_mate
Smash the Boost

a decent IR camera that'll give you a decent night time image is going to cost a few hundred dollars at the minimum. Then add to that the coax, a power supply, capture card for PC, BNC connectors and crimp tool and so on and so forth.

I have seen cheap IR cameras and they suck bigtime. I'd be more looking at a IP mega pixel camera utilising a cat5 cable, you'd need a POE switch. However i only look at things like that cos i install them and my customers always pay for the gear lol.

If you're in Qld PM atec77 on these forums. He is a CCTV guru

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The middle range Logitech webcams have motion detection software that records when a movement threshold is met. The threshold is adjustable.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Built my solution before they were readily available.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I'm pretty sure you can set up cameras without a sign in this example. It might depend on where its pointing though and how easy it is for people to gain access from the street.

You can set up a camera in your own home, turn it on when you go out, film anyone that brakes in and you don't need a sign (because the only people being filmed are braking the law). Not sure about the jerks that put hidden cameras in toilets and showers though, i assume there is laws against that.
If you own a shop and set up cameras to film everyone in the hope of catching a shoplifter or something then you need the signs to tell the people that aren't braking the law that they are being cameraed. Also you have to inform your employees and give them prior notice (the signs might be enough) even if you think they are the ones stealing stuff.

Pretty sure thats accurate but you'd want to check with someone that knows for sure.
Put simply there is no right to privacy in Australia. The law relating to privacy in Australia is currently regulated by State, Territory and Commonwealth legislation in conjunction with the common law. At a Federal level, the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) establishes and regulates a national scheme for the collection, use, transfer and disclosure of 'personal information' by the private sector and the Federal and ACT Governments. Accordingly, its ability to afford protection on personal privacy matters is limited in scope by its text. In addition, each State and Territory has their own privacy legislation or administrative regimes.

In relation to your comment on CCTV in the workplace, personal privacy is protected under Victorian legislation in the form of the Surveillance Devices (Workplace Privacy) Act 2006 (Vic). Under this legislation it is an offence for an employer to knowingly to install, use or maintain an optical surveillance device or listening device to observe, listen to, record or monitor the activities or conversations of a worker in workplace toilets, washrooms, change rooms or lactation rooms .

In the past the courts have been reluctant, to say the least, in upholding a plaintiff's claim for a breach of personal privacy. Prior to 2001, the major obstacle to the recognition in Australia of a common law right to privacy was the classical 1937 High Court decision in Victoria Park Racing and Recreation Grounds Co Ltd v Taylor (1937) 58 CLR 479. In that case, the plaintiff owned a racing track which charged admissions to people who placed bets on the races. Taylor (the Defendant in the matter) was a neighbor of Victoria Park. Taylor built a platform on his land to view the races and odds being given at the track. Taylor then broadcasted this information to other people participating in off-track betting. The Plaintiff bought an action against Taylor arguing that, amongst other causes of actions, Taylor’s actions amounted to a breach of privacy.

It was claimed that, as a result of this breach of privacy, ticket sales were lower as the people who had previously come to the track were now only listening on the radio. It was thus argued that Taylor was profiting at the expense of the plaintiff. The High Court held that the owner and operator of a racecourse (the Plaintiff) could not prevent another party (the Defendant), situated on adjoining land, from observing and broadcasting particulars of events carried out on the racecourse. To this effect, Dixon J stated at 64:

“The right to exclude the defendants from broadcasting a description of the occurrences they can see upon the plaintiff’s land is not given by law. It is not an interest falling within any category which is protected at law or in equity”

The only exception to the above being one in which the Defendant conducted his affairs in such a manor that the Plaintiff may rely upon an action in the nature of nuisance. Since its pronouncement, the Victoria Park case has been regarded as the authority for the proposition that the common law of Australia does not recognise a general tort of invasion of privacy.

In 2001 the High Court changed the direction of the common law in regards to actions for invasion of privacy with its decision in ABC v Lenah Game Meats (2001) 208 CLR 199 which removed the barrier the Victoria Park case posed to any party attempting to rely on a tort of invasion of privacy.

In this case Footage was obtained from an unknown source by way of hidden video cameras in an abattoir that processed possum meat. The footage taken therein was supplied to Animal Liberation who in turn passed it on to the ABC. The abattoir initiated an action seeking an injunction so as to restrain the ABC from broadcasting the footage claiming that its’ acquisition amounted to an invasion of privacy.

The court rejected the plaintiff’s application for the injunction, however, it took the view that it was ‘a logical and desirable step’ to recognise ‘a civil action for damages based on the actionable right of an individual person to privacy’ . The court considered that such an action may be available to a plaintiff where the personal affairs of that person are intruded upon, the matter made public is highly offensive to a reasonable person, and there is insufficient public interest in having the information disclosed .

In conclusion, I can't see any problem you filming your property so long as the CCTV camera you utilize does not infringe upon the abovementioned criteria (personal affairs of that person are intruded upon, the matter made public is highly offensive to a reasonable person, and there is insufficient public interest in having the information disclosed) and you do not leave yourself open to a civil action in the form of a nuisance claim. The majority of the case law is aimed at instances involving the protection of commercial interests anyway. I would say go for it........

I think I have said enough...... sorry about the long post. Please also bear in mind that this is in no way, shape or form legal advice. It is thus made without prejudice.

Cheers
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #27
fpvluver
just another day

i got cameras on the front of my place but still get the odd kid doing there little scribble on my cars
fpvluver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #28
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTp001
You would think the police would be happy. Your doing there job for them.
stupid laws that need changing..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post