Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2023, 10:14 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ranger Evolves 19.9.2023

The other way to look at this hybrid is as a power adder as well, the extra punch available
when 2.3 turbo combines with electric motor should give an interesting performance impact.

That’s the thing about PHEVs with a turbo engine, it’s not always about fuel economy but it can be.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2023, 11:21 PM   #32
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

50% of Ranger owners do less than 45 km per day.
It can work for many people.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #33
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Would be compromise between more batteries for more range at the cost of legal payload,

So compromises - it's a commercial vehicle.

If this can smash the diesel on fuel economy or match it then it's a winner, unleaded/E10 costs significantly less than diesel and the maintenance is cheaper too.

Thumbs up from Mr Thailand Special, Franco.
The compromise to keep the weight down to keep the payload up cancels any benefits because it basically won't be able to tow anything in EV because the range will be more or less cut in half ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #34
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
My first thought was, bugger 45km range isn't much, then I checked and to work and back for me is 19.5km return which for 3 out of 5 days that's all I do, while 1 day a week maybe 100km of driving and a 2nd day of another upto to 100km while on the weekend I may not drive at all or maybe add another 100km if we visit my mother-in-law.

So theoretically I wouldn't use petrol for 3 and maybe 4 days of the week however I also don't have to worry about jumping in and finding out I forgot to plug in the charger or more importantly never have to worry about finding a charging station or sitting in a queue planning a longer trip like an aircraft pilot until the infrastructure is at the stage we deserve if the whole industry can get it's act together.

Ranger has a massive potential customer pool but the pricing of this hybrid has to be right and who wouldn't love a possible 270kW that at least has tennuous connection to a stock XR6T/G6ET
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2023, 06:40 AM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
The compromise to keep the weight down to keep the payload up cancels any benefits because it basically won't be able to tow anything in EV because the range will be more or less cut in half ?
Its a hybrid, forget about the EV function - the only time its going to be useful is running around locally lightly loaded. Its going to be perfect for 90% of the private Thailand Special owners this 45km range.

Its Ranger PHEV, not Ranger EV.

I don't see the 45km EV range being an issue, its still going to be way more powerful and torquey compared to the diesel options in the Ranger, with the benefit of using a cheaper fuel, and cheaper to maintain while being more fuel efficient in stop/start traffic. This is where hybrids win out massively.

The PHEV part is just the icing on the cake, thats the way you view this - seems people are looking at the 45KM EV-only range and overlooking all the other benefits.

That engine makes 200KW+ in the Mustang WITHOUT its hybrid functionality.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-09-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2023, 08:35 AM   #36
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a hybrid, forget about the EV function - the only time its going to be useful is running around locally lightly loaded. Its going to be perfect for 90% of the private Thailand Special owners this 45km range.

I don't see the 45km EV range being an issue, its still going to be way more powerful and torquey compared to the diesel options in the Ranger, with the benefit of using a cheaper fuel, and cheaper to maintain while being more fuel efficient in stop/start traffic. This is where hybrids win out massively.

The PHEV part is just the icing on the cake, thats the way you view this - seems people are looking at the 45KM EV-only range and overlooking all the other benefits.

Good answer , I was thinking with my Scottish ancestry in how we run ours

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 20-09-2023, 02:29 PM   #37
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With new Triton being released early 2024 and a PHEV is tipped to be available pretty early, bloody smart of Ford to announce this (even its not here for 18 months) to be able to say they where the first. Even though it probably wont make it to market first, they are still first to announce....

Be interesting to see what sort of price premium it will be over the equivalent Diesel version as, price not withstaning, it could suit alot of current Ranger buyers...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2023, 02:36 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
source?

It may be close but thats a bit annoying to have to charge the thing every day.

Even living in Hobart I do ~30km per day purely to work and back, that's without a kids run etc so id burn 45km easy...so yeah IMO that's on a the weak side but a start.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #39
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
source?

It may be close but thats a bit annoying to have to charge the thing every day.

Even living in Hobart I do ~30km per day purely to work and back, that's without a kids run etc so id burn 45km easy...so yeah IMO that's on a the weak side but a start.

It’s from Ford own data collected from their vehicles 2021-2023.
Old 20-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #40
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
With new Triton being released early 2024 and a PHEV is tipped to be available pretty early, bloody smart of Ford to announce this (even its not here for 18 months) to be able to say they where the first. Even though it probably wont make it to market first, they are still first to announce....

Be interesting to see what sort of price premium it will be over the equivalent Diesel version as, price not withstaning, it could suit alot of current Ranger buyers...
There's conflicting rumors about Triton they seam to be saying it's more likely to be a full EV .....you would think it would be easy to just swap the Outlander running gear but I think there's issues with utes as you see with the Ranger?....who knows

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 21-09-2023, 09:43 AM   #41
Hulsty

Forgive me, I've only experienced Rav4 Hybrids where they effectively take care of themselves charge wise. During regular driving etc does the Ranger version charge itself and you can charge it up additionally at home ?
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #42
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's conflicting rumors about Triton they seam to be saying it's more likely to be a full EV .....you would think it would be easy to just swap the Outlander running gear but I think there's issues with utes as you see with the Ranger?....who knows
My info is just from a dealer, my old man has a deposit on one (pending details and pricing) to replace his current 2018 Triton GLS. He uses the Ute component all the time, but doesn't really tow much nor do many KM so PHEV would suit him down to the ground. Dealer said they "Expect" there to be PHEV option but obviously don't know all that much so you may very well be bang on re: full EV.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #43
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
My info is just from a dealer, my old man has a deposit on one (pending details and pricing) to replace his current 2018 Triton GLS. He uses the Ute component all the time, but doesn't really tow much nor do many KM so PHEV would suit him down to the ground. Dealer said they "Expect" there to be PHEV option but obviously don't know all that much so you may very well be bang on re: full EV.
Heard similar from a dealer earlier on ....but they seam to have gone all quiet about it ,searches on YouTube seam to push EV more ? Who knows I'm similar to your old man I would never want to tow more than about 2.5 ton with any ute , so I,d be happy if they put a bigger battery in it and sacrificed a bit of tow capacity for battery range

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 21-09-2023, 11:26 AM   #44
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Forgive me, I've only experienced Rav4 Hybrids where they effectively take care of themselves charge wise. During regular driving etc does the Ranger version charge itself and you can charge it up additionally at home ?
Yes ,normally the battery is bigger than a normal hybrid, sort of like a cross between an EV and a hybrid they normally give you the option to save the charge and operate like a normal hybrid then if your in town you can switch to straight EV if you want to save gas or your heading home etc

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 21-09-2023, 12:58 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
It’s from Ford own data collected from their vehicles 2021-2023.
They will never please everyone but having to still charge 3-4 times a week seems like a pain. Does this one re-gen or plug in only to charge?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #46
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually Fords data says more than 50% of Ranger drivers do less than 40km a day.
Old 21-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #47
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And the other 50%, Im sorry but this range is a joke. I am sure they had to compromise etc etc but I hope Mitsu comes out and does better.

As a side topic, is that off a survey or they pull data from the ECU, if so who signed up to that?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2023, 04:55 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In the USA, the 2024 Tacoma has a 2.4 turbo hybrid across the range
Power and torque appear to be similar to a 3.0 V6 diesel.

I wonder if that 2.4 i-Force Max hybrid power plant will make its way into Hilux….

Quote:

https://www.torquenews.com/1/2024-to...e%20off%2Droad.

The 2024 Toyota Tacoma is a complete ground-up redesign that marks the beginning of the fourth generation of the Tacoma model. The new truck is more powerful, more efficient, and more capable than ever before.

One of the most significant changes to the 2024 Tacoma is the introduction of a hybrid powertrain option. The i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrain combines a 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with an electric motor to produce 326 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque. This makes the Tacoma Hybrid the most powerful Tacoma ever offered.

In addition to its impressive power, the Tacoma Hybrid is also very efficient. The EPA estimates that the Tacoma Hybrid will get up to 24 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. This makes it one of the most fuel-efficient mid-size trucks on the market.

The Tacoma Hybrid is also very capable off-road. It comes standard with Toyota's Multi-Terrain Select system, which allows drivers to choose the optimal settings for different terrain conditions. The Tacoma Hybrid also has a higher ground clearance than the non-hybrid Tacoma, making it easier to tackle obstacles.

More at the link…….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #49
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They will never please everyone but having to still charge 3-4 times a week seems like a pain. Does this one re-gen or plug in only to charge?
It will most likely act as a conventional hybrid without being charged. Will still yield good economy most likely (mainly around town where hybrids do best).

How often do you charge your phone? Is it a pain?
Old 21-09-2023, 06:58 PM   #50
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the other 50%, Im sorry but this range is a joke. I am sure they had to compromise etc etc but I hope Mitsu comes out and does better.
This has been discussed a number of times in various threads on EV.

Think of it like your typical mobile phone. Most mobile phones only have enough charge to last one day. Therefor, before one goes to bed, one typically plugs their mobile phone in for charging.

Ditto for a PHEV. Typically the range is about 40 - 80 km (depending on manufacturer and vehicle). Given that a fair chunk of drivers only do about 40 km in a day, that is all the battery capacity they need. When I had a PHEV, I got into the habit of plugging it in every night. Within a week or so, the action of plugging the PHEV into the wall when I got home became a completely automatic response.

The nice feature about a PHEV is that when the battery runs flat then the petrol engine can take over.

Oh, and a PHEV - or any other EV for that matter - is great for quietly slinking back home after a night out ...

Quote:
As a side topic, is that off a survey or they pull data from the ECU, if so who signed up to that?
https://www.ford.com.au/support/how-...-take-delivery

Quote:
What data is the FordPass Connect modem sending from my vehicle, once I take delivery?

When you take delivery, there are three possible FordPass Connect modem states:

Full modem activation (also referred to as ‘fully activated’):
You can fully activate your modem (through FordPass App account creation, adding your VIN and activating in your vehicle), allowing you to access the Connected Services.

In this mode, your modem will be sending additional vehicle data (Driving Data – that is how your vehicle’s features are used) and your vehicle location to Ford’s servers and cloud service providers in order to provide some of the Connected Services, such as Satellite Navigation with Live Traffic.

If you use the Live Traffic functionality on a vehicle connected to the Fordpass App, we share the vehicle’s location, direction and speed in pseudonymous form with HERE, our third-party real-time traffic information provider.

The electronic serial number of your FordPass Connect modem (ESN), SIM serial number (ICCID) and your vehicle’s VIN continue to be sent.

Note: In this fully activated state, your vehicle will continue transmitting and receiving data even if:

You disable Location Services and/or Live Traffic
You disable Vehicle Data and Remote Control

Some but not all users with a FordPass App account associated with a VIN have removed the VIN from their FordPass App

You uninstall the FordPass App.

Partial modem activation (also referred to as ‘partially activated’):

You can leave your FordPass Connect modem as is, that is partially activated, and the vehicle will continue to send diagnostic and maintenance data as described above. This state will continue unless you actively turn off ‘Vehicle Connectivity’ via your in-vehicle SYNC system in your car.

When you take delivery, you and your dealer can work together to ensure that your vehicle connectivity settings are customised to your preferences.
Just like any mobile phones, cars have been personal tracking devices for a little while now.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #51
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It’s not the vehicles range. It’s the vehicles range using battery only. Then it turns into a hybrid.

Anyone who agrees to the terms and conditions of the Ford pass app signs up for it.
They can also see it from service data. 10,000km divided by 365 days =. It’s pretty simple math really. It’s not like they’re tracking your search history like every app on your phone.
Old 21-09-2023, 08:00 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
It will most likely act as a conventional hybrid without being charged. Will still yield good economy most likely (mainly around town where hybrids do best).

How often do you charge your phone? Is it a pain?
This, I got two of them, I don't see why people see charging their car as a big hurdle.

You get out of the car and plug it in, just like you do with your phone(s), or power tool batteries, I got four of those chargers and about a zillion power tool batteries I've got to charge.
Old 21-09-2023, 08:01 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing to keep in mind is that range is in the best case scenario. My round trip to work is 45km. I bet I would never make it home on a single charge.
45km a day is a bit over 16,000km in a year. Isn’t the average yearly kilometres traveled a bit over that?
Like it’s not bad but I would have thought a PHEV Ute would have been aiming a little higher.
Isn’t late 30s the lower end of PHEVs range.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2023, 08:03 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that range is in the best case scenario. My round trip to work is 45km. I bet I would never make it home on a single charge.
45km a day is a bit over 16,000km in a year. Isn’t the average yearly kilometres traveled a bit over that?
Like it’s not bad but I would have thought a PHEV Ute would have been aiming a little higher.
Average is 12,000km/year for Australian drivers, I'm at 30,000+ but some do more, some do less. Mother dearest averages 7km a week, thats less than 500km/year.

The Ranger hybrid really appeals to me, it would absolutely haul *** being 200KW+, be good on fuel and its not some rattly slow diesel POS. Ford's Ecoboost engines are wicked, the Fiesta ST we have, peak torque starts at 1500 RPM and carries through to 4500 RPM and its only 1.6L, makes the same torque as my old diesel Focus and uses .5L/100km more fuel.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-09-2023 at 08:10 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2023, 09:35 PM   #55
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Another thing too is its not supposed to be good to drain the battery right out so it depends how well it's charged our range is supposed to be 84km but I would say the average would be mid. 70,s so this could be 35-40 if you left it with 10km that would be a real world range of 25-30 that's sh#t all then you would only get that charging at home if you fast charged it ,it would only fill to 80% so then a full charge would be only 35km at best it's hardly worth the hassle you may as well just run it as a hybrid

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 21-09-2023, 09:56 PM   #56
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Another thing too is its not supposed to be good to drain the battery right out so it depends how well it's charged our range is supposed to be 84km but I would say the average would be mid. 70,s so this could be 35-40 if you left it with 10km that would be a real world range of 25-30 that's sh#t all then you would only get that charging at home if you fast charged it ,it would only fill to 80% so then a full charge would be only 35km at best it's hardly worth the hassle you may as well just run it as a hybrid

It’s not a dolphin torch. There will be some technology in the system. It’s not going to drain the battery to zero %.
And it’s not like the car stops when the range gets to zero. Then the turbo charged engine starts and you drive on.
There’s way too much focus on the electric only range. That’s just it’s party trick to sneak back home or out early.
Go and drive a PHEV for a month and you might see it’s actually a great system. Particularly amazing if you don’t pay to charge it. You may only end up filling it with fuel every 2500km.

The question that needs to be answered is how much is it to get into one. There’s talk in the media of $90-100k. That’s ridiculous and would rule out most honest tradies.
Do we know what spec it will be offered in? I see the Wildtrak in the promotional material. Will it come in lower XLS or XLT trim levels?
Old 22-09-2023, 02:07 AM   #57
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It’s not a dolphin torch. There will be some technology in the system. It’s not going to drain the battery to zero %.
And it’s not like the car stops when the range gets to zero. Then the turbo charged engine starts and you drive on.
There’s way too much focus on the electric only range. That’s just it’s party trick to sneak back home or out early.
Go and drive a PHEV for a month and you might see it’s actually a great system. Particularly amazing if you don’t pay to charge it. You may only end up filling it with fuel every 2500km.

The question that needs to be answered is how much is it to get into one. There’s talk in the media of $90-100k. That’s ridiculous and would rule out most honest tradies.
Do we know what spec it will be offered in? I see the Wildtrak in the promotional material. Will it come in lower XLS or XLT trim levels?
I get that ....those real world scenarios are from owning a PHEV ......it's 18mths away so you would hope that they would update it , because in 18mths you would think there will probably be better options with this range maybe they would have been better off with a straight hybrid.....lighter and cheaper to produce ?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-09-2023, 05:41 AM   #58
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You almost sold me with that , but its actually an imposter it doesn't do the job it was designed for very well

Fords spending $ designing it as a plug n when it's basically a HEV ....look at the Tacoma HEV as posted before I wonder which company would be making more profit......makes Ford look like the Dolphin torch

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-09-2023, 08:22 AM   #59
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if this is any interest ... but when I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV back in 2014 I did a series of write ups about my impressions of the PHEV experience (good and bad)

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...highlight=PHEV

There is about four pages of discussion and explanations about how the PHEV worked.

When reading this (now nine year old post), just keep in mind that Ford might have a slightly different engineering approach (particularly the way that the ICE and EV components interact).
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2023, 10:32 AM   #60
Hulsty

Quote:
Average is 12,000km/year for Australian drivers, I'm at 30,000+ but some do more, some do less. Mother dearest averages 7km a week, thats less than 500km/year.

The Ranger hybrid really appeals to me, it would absolutely haul *** being 200KW+, be good on fuel and its not some rattly slow diesel POS. Ford's Ecoboost engines are wicked, the Fiesta ST we have, peak torque starts at 1500 RPM and carries through to 4500 RPM and its only 1.6L, makes the same torque as my old diesel Focus and uses .5L/100km more fuel.
Not that I am in the position too, but this is what appears to me, great power and torque and the move away from a modern diesel. I'm a big diesel fan, having two Toyota diesels (20 years old the other 40 years old) and their modern equivalent vehicles dont have the expected jump in power, torque and refinement I would expect in a 20 year new car. Example the new Prado, carries over the same old engine. Another bonus is getting away from modern diesel issues, they are just not as good as years gone by.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post