Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #451
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Shocking to see the Dem's blocking (atm) the stimulus bill, playing politics at a time like this is insane to throw in more uncertainty.
I'm going to stay up and watch the Dow Jones....
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 12:58 AM   #452
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #453
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Next week Cav but you'll have to beautify the AU first.
Old 24-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #454
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Brothels are still open around Melbourne and some have been given the go ahead to stay open by VIC's department of health

Rather conflicting information going on there, can have intimate relationship with complete stranger but not go to the pub?

I guess it falls outside of Scomo's guidelines/instructions.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-03-2020 at 06:35 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #455
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how does one fill your car up at the servo? without touching the pump handle that someone else has.....
Old 24-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #456
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
how does one fill your car up at the servo? without touching the pump handle that someone else has.....
disposable gloves
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #457
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really?
You'd have to be pretty helpless to not be able to solve this as an individual.

Social media is filled with questions like this.

Authorities don't have the time to answer every persons petty query that they themselves have put zero reasonable consideration towards solving.
Old 24-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #458
DaveD

Quote:
I plan on using paper towels on the handle, then spritz my hands with 75% isopropyl alcohol once back in the car.
Old 24-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #459
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Just ask the servo attendant, nicely.

EZY
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #460
superyob
Banned

Coronavirus has achieved what communism by stealth could not. The sacking of the productive, to make them reliant on the state. Unproductive get massive pay rises. Stalin and Mao must have a grin from ear to ear...
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 09:17 AM   #461
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

My wife had her car booked in for a service at a dealership yesterday.
She had also booked and arranged a loan car with them, a few weeks ago at the time of the service booking.

When she arrived, they would not give her a loan car.

They said, they had introduced a new policy at the moment, because of Covid-19.

They have stopped lending out loan cars to their service clients because of the possible spread of the virus.

Guess who gets a call, to come and pick her up.
Old 24-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #462
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
My wife had her car booked in for a service at a dealership yesterday.
She had also booked and arranged a loan car with them, a few weeks ago at the time of the service booking.

When she arrived, they would not give her a loan car.

They said, they had introduced a new policy at the moment, because of Covid-19.

They have stopped lending out loan cars to their service clients because of the possible spread of the virus.

Guess who gets a call, to come and pick her up.
That's an interesting one.. I wouldn't have thought that would be a good decision for us, we have made sure to spray down every car before and after service as well as our loan cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #463
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Brothels are still open around Melbourne and some have been given the go ahead to stay open by VIC's department of health
Well, that slipped through the cracks (no pun intended).

Seriously, just imagine, a brothel with 10 working girls...

One becomes Covid-19 positive, but does not know, and shows no symptoms.

She spreads that to the other 9 girls.

Say each girl sees 10 clients a day.

10 x 10 = 100 punters infected per day.

The 100 punters go home to their wives, family, etc.

You can do the rest of the maths.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #464
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Coronavirus has achieved what communism by stealth could not. The sacking of the productive, to make them reliant on the state. Unproductive get massive pay rises. Stalin and Mao must have a grin from ear to ear...
We're still in a better situation. At least we have hope.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #465
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The virus can't be contracted by touch. Just fill as you normally would and wash your hands after. Servos have bathrooms and likely also have hand sanitizer at the counter.

This is why just basic hygiene will go a long way to protect you, along with some basic social distancing. To get the virus from touching something you would then need to touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Apparently humans touch their face on average 4 times a minute.

So while the virus is quite contagious you can't get it just from touching an infected surface.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #466
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Only 7 of 15 on my bus this morning and the roads and car parks around them bare of cars and kids, a stark contrast to 4 days ago where it was business as usual.
Word from the inside is they don't want to be there at all, Premier is committing political suicide by toeing the party line on this one.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #467
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If parents are so worried about their kids then simply pull them out of school, I swear its people without kids who seem to be making more fuss over it.

We dont need the Gov to tell you what to do all the time.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #468
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
If parents are so worried about their kids then simply pull them out of school, I swear its people without kids who seem to be making more fuss over it.

We dont need the Gov to tell you what to do all the time.
As I said previously, there's more to it than just taking your kids out of school, if I want to take my kids out of school I can just make a phone call.
The concern is, what are the repercussions for them from doing so if mainstream education continues and they fall 3 or even 6 months behind?
I heard one of the Politicians say yesterday with regards to school that they need to have unity on the subject, having some in school and some out at the discretion of their parents isn't unity.

Some parents don't care about their kids education, some just don't want to have to get up and get them ready and will jump at any opportunity to keep them at home and at the other end of the spectrum are the parents who don't give a **** what their kid picks up so long as they don't have to see them between the hours of 9am and 3pm.
In my job I see both ends and everything in between.

Yesterday I had kids staying home as they we're, and I quote the Parent 'scared of the virus' and today they are back and others are absent for the same reasons.
How can you be scared of something one day and comfortable with it the next if the issue is statistically growing.

The Government is trying to be friends with everyone and in doing so is creating more confusion than necessary, they trot out excuses to justify one argument which doesn't stand up to even the most basic of test.
They suggest that keeping kids home will bring the country to a standstill yet between mid December and the beginning of February every year kids are home for 6 weeks and it barely rates a mention. They suggest kids will be hanging around shopping centres if absent from school yet at any other time we're told to get kids out of their bedrooms and from behind screens as they're becoming lazy and obese, hang on, at any other time the kids are stuck in the rooms behind screens but when COVID19 is in the air all of a sudden these lazy obese kids are walking down and hanging around the shopping centres.
C'mon, as I've said from day dot on this subject, the contradictions are everywhere.

Im not saying they should shut down schools, im suggesting they stop mainstream teaching and keep every child on the same page so that when this is over no one is disadvantaged then, because of what they feel they need to do now.

Last edited by BENT_8; 24-03-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 24-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #469
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The virus can't be contracted by touch. Just fill as you normally would and wash your hands after. Servos have bathrooms and likely also have hand sanitizer at the counter.

This is why just basic hygiene will go a long way to protect you, along with some basic social distancing. To get the virus from touching something you would then need to touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Apparently humans touch their face on average 4 times a minute.

So while the virus is quite contagious you can't get it just from touching an infected surface.
The man posts another good factual post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #470
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BENT8 I feel for you mate but thats life, since when is it fair? Most of the contradictions seem to be in your head, its not as complicated as your making it out and we are not even in total lock down yet.

We just got notice to keep them home from tomorrow if we can, essential service parents can still have their kids go to school.

We do the best we can, it wont be perfect, everyone will be effected and we are only 2'ish weeks in.

It could be worse.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #471
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The school year is dead.
Fully expect that everyone will have to repeat the year.
Just be thankful this virus doesn't effect them (directly)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #472
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
We're still in a better situation. At least we have hope.
As per Milan Kundera’s The Joke?
Old 24-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #473
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
BENT8 I feel for you mate but thats life, since when is it fair? Most of the contradictions seem to be in your head, its not as complicated as your making it out and we are not even in total lock down yet.

We just got notice to keep them home from tomorrow if we can, essential service parents can still have their kids go to school.

We do the best we can, it wont be perfect, everyone will be effected and we are only 2'ish weeks in.

It could be worse.
Im not sure why you're feeling for me, id be better off if the Schools maintain the status quo as my job would be secure.
My frustrations come from the fact that there are simple answers but for some reason Govco seem to be ignoring them, every school holidays programs are run for children of parents who need them cared for during the day which doesn't impact on the level of education one child gets over another, this could be implemented overnight, yet the confusion continues.
As Yellow Festiva said, just bring forward the 6 week end of year holidays and have everyone on the same page for that period and see what happens.

What about those households where the healthcare worker does rotating shifts and so too does their partner, I guess we better have 24hr schools to cater to them.

Last edited by BENT_8; 24-03-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 24-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #474
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The school year is dead.
Fully expect that everyone will have to repeat the year.
Just be thankful this virus doesn't effect them (directly)
Agreed, but children are known to be super spreaders so whilst they may not get it bad, those they come into contact with before 9am and after 3pm can and will.
If the school year is dead, then come out and say that, don't play games with people.
Old 24-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #475
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Driving to work was unbelievable this morning, I work about 3KM from the CBD and all the freeways were bare - it was like driving through Adelaide
9 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #476
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Driving to work was unbelievable this morning, I work about 3KM from the CBD and all the freeways were bare - it was like driving through Adelaide
You should see Adelaide..
Old 24-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #477
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, but children are known to be super spreaders so whilst they may not get it bad, those they come into contact with before 9am and after 3pm can and will.
If the school year is dead, then come out and say that, don't play games with people.
Get your kids home.
Spend time and teach them as much as you can.
The world they'll see once they leave school will be very different to the one we had.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #478
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Get your kids home.
The world they'll see once they leave school will be very different to the one we had.
I thought it was pretty simple, maybe I need to run around in circles banging my head against a wall looking for the answers.

I find it outrageous that people expect a perfect process in a situation that is largely unprecedented.....just chill out and offer support.

We will do the basics with the kids, the school mentioned we should focus on religion, maths and English...cant imagine religion is going to get much airplay.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #479
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Next week Cav but you'll have to beautify the AU first.
As much as he claims be the handsome one, he’s no God

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 24-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #480
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Get your kids home.
Apparently the shopping centres are full of kids...

Must be all on their lunch breaks!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread