Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Default Vinyl Records. are making a comeback...

At your best guess... original pressings?

Me:

Albums:

Broderick Smith 'Last Train to Mobil Town"
Chisel 'Your 13 etc etc' (naughty)
Col Joye - 'Best Of'
John Swan - 'Days Gone By'
Unopened 'Barking Spiders'
The Seekers - double album at Myer Music Bowl

Singles:

USA for Africa
Do they know its Christmas
Careless Whisper - George Michael

..... and big collection of 17 inch(?) extended mixes..

Last Christmas (WHAM)
Careless Whisper (as above)
Se* Crimes - Eurythmics
Jimmy Barnes and Crowded House - 'Many Rivers to Cross'
Time Bandits

..and a box of heaps home made cassettes.

Old 25-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vinyl Records. are making a comeback...

they never went out.....I still have a massive collection starting from the late 60's til the 90's.

it is stated by "purists" that the sound quality is far better, my ears are buggered so I cant tell.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 25-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
it is stated by "purists" that the sound quality is far better, my ears are buggered so I cant tell.
A "purist" load of drivel. How can essentially a mechanical device (a sharpened point traveling over little bumps) come up with a "pure" sound. Every time a track is played on a "record" the sound will to some minute extent change as the groove wears. A record has a fixed dynamic range where as a digital device is only limited by the machinery its played on.

This seems to be the same view as those that think old cars are better. Its just living in the past.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I play with this stuff for a living...

Records are not making a comeback, they really never went away totally, and have remained a very tiny niche market.
They will always be a tiny niche market.

As for the sound quality, they of course can sound superb with the right equipment.
I've only heard a handful of vinyl rigs that can approach the sound quality of 16/44 digital, that is, CD, and they were all well over $15,000, with the CD spinner typically no more than 2-4k.

I've never heard a vinyl system surpass the performance of CD.

IMO it's not possible technically, and my listening experiences have proved that to myself.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hear that too. I think that might be a comparison with digital like mp3 files which are compressed.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I hear that too. I think that might be a comparison with digital like mp3 files which are compressed.
No, it's a comparison to CD.
MP3 is not in the running, except for casual listening.

The vinyl purists believe vinyl is where it's at and nothing sounds better. That's their call.

As I mentioned above, the best vinyl can sound superb, but it's also slightly different to CD, with a couple of artifacts which are always audible.
I believe it's these artifacts which make the sound more pleasing to those people.

CD is virtually indistinguishable from the original master tapes.

All in my opinion, of course.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I always found it interesting that when one of the pioneers of digital music was at home and wanted to listen to music, he listened to vinyl.....

He also had a sizable record collection which was the envy of the most ardent collector...

And yes, I prefer the sound (and look) of vinyl....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 25-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I always found it interesting that when one of the pioneers of digital music was at home and wanted to listen to music, he listened to vinyl.....

He also had a sizable record collection which was the envy of the most ardent collector...

And yes, I prefer the sound (and look) of vinyl....

I have a 'Thorn' record player (Dad's) that dropped albums when finished. 16/33/45/78....
Old 25-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW View Post
A "purist" load of drivel. How can essentially a mechanical device (a sharpened point traveling over little bumps) come up with a "pure" sound. Every time a track is played on a "record" the sound will to some minute extent change as the groove wears. A record has a fixed dynamic range where as a digital device is only limited by the machinery its played on.

This seems to be the same view as those that think old cars are better. Its just living in the past.
not quite right I'm afraid, it's all to do with the way the initial recording was made.

the two mediums are totally different in the way the sound is portrayed.

vinyl captures the whole analogue sound and portrays the sound as it was meant to be heard, cd's merely make a digital "guess" as to what is there.

just have a little read of this to get what I mean

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

there is a huge difference between the two and sound quality reflects this, given the two sound output devices are of similar quality.

not drivel.....fact.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 25-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
not quite right I'm afraid, it's all to do with the way the initial recording was made.

the two mediums are totally different in the way the sound is portrayed.
Not really. The sound of the very best of each medium is very similar.
Quote:
vinyl captures the whole analogue sound and portrays the sound as it was meant to be heard, cd's merely make a digital "guess" as to what is there.
Complete nonsense and a myth.

Vinyl suffers from more audible artefacts than 16/44 ever will.

There have been countless blind tests over the years comparing master tapes to 16/44 digital and vinyl.
16/44 is always closer than vinyl, and virtually indistinguishable from the master tape.
Quote:
just have a little read of this to get what I mean

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm
If I had a penny for every time someone quotes a misleading article like this I'd be wealthy.
These kinds of articles rarely tell the full story, and are almost always skewed to one side.
DVD-A and SACD are pretty much redundant because they failed to deliver the supposed and promised superiority over regular 16/44 redbook CD.

Believe me, I went down the road of both.
Quote:
there is a huge difference between the two and sound quality reflects this, given the two sound output devices are of similar quality.
No there is not.
There are small differences at the upper end of the spectrum.
IME experiences, vinyl always falls slightly short of state of the art, but for the most part, most people would not notice.
Quote:
not drivel.....fact.
Sorry, but it is most certainly drivel.

FWIW, I have a massive collection of both CD's and vinyl. I also have many DVD-A's, and SACD's.
I have a modest vinyl rig worth approx $3000. My CD spinner is worth approx the same.
My CD spinner has far better performance than my vinyl system.
Much much more needs to be spent on a vinyl system to approach the level of 16/44.

PS, try this experiment sometime.
Capture your vinyl with a good 16/44 A/D converter, then burn it to CD and throw it in your CD spinner.
You know where this is going, get back to me with results, it will surprise you...
Old 25-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so who writes these reports, and they are everywhere on the net, this was only one place that I quoted, there are literally hundreds out there saying the same thing, surely they are not all wrong

if they are so wrong why are they not brought into disrepute.

I don't listen to vinyl, I dont have a record player but I refuse to poo poo those that do and will rigorously defend the difference.

my mate still reckons 8 track is the way to go. LOL!

Old 25-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
so who writes these reports,
No idea, it's the internet, so I'm guessing every man and his dog.
Quote:
and they are everywhere on the net, this was only one place that I quoted, there are literally hundreds out there saying the same thing, surely they are not all wrong
Have you seen how much misinformation is on the internet? It's rampant.
Quote:
Like all the other millions of bogus articles on every other subject on the web?
Quote:
I don't listen to vinyl, I dont have a record player but I refuse to poo poo those that do and will rigorously defend the difference.
I'm not poo pooing anything or anyone.
I have no issue with vinyl or the people who listen to it.

But facts are facts.
Quote:
my mate still reckons 8 track is the way to go. LOL!
Old 25-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
MarkAW

Quote:
so who writes these reports, and they are everywhere on the net, this was only one place that I quoted, there are literally hundreds out there saying the same thing, surely they are not all wrong

There are many out there who just agree with something that they read whether its true or not, and will go to the effort of writing supporting material just to maintain they're own ideals. At least with Wiki, you're more likely to have unsupported fact torn down than in other blerbs. That's not to say that Wiki is a 100% factual.

I never believe in anything thats written or shown on TV unless it has the evidence to go with it - and yes this includes newspapers, religeon and ACA
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW View Post
There are many out there who just agree with something that they read whether its true or not, and will go to the effort of writing supporting material just to maintain they're own ideals. At least with Wiki, you're more likely to have unsupported fact torn down than in other blerbs. That's not to say that Wiki is a 100% factual.

I never believe in anything thats written or shown on TV unless it has the evidence to go with it - and yes this includes newspapers, religeon and ACA
oh dear! ...you have just shattered my belief in the electronic media......

this debate has been running for as long as the VHS beta thing........always guaranteed to get a rise from someone.

Old 25-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked this up from Amoeba records when I was in LA in July.

Also have other Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Queen, AFI (purple edition, black sails album), Iwrestledabearonce and more on vinyl
Last vinyl I got was the new Queens of the Stone Age record. Can't stop listening to that album!

Last edited by Fev; 25-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

I prefer vinyl to CD...
on the old record they sounded sort of raw where the remade CD sounded touched up.
and some early one's were not good when hissing (exposes analogue limit).

the newer CD's recorded in a digital studio sound a lot better.
Old 25-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Sound used to be recorded analogue, in the "Old" days, recordings were done onto real-to-real tape, this gave off a warmer, natural sound.

Of course, when it came to put these recordings onto a sellable medium, Vinyl was the best, as it captured the sound from the R2R tape perfectly...and was a problem when CD's were released as the recordings were initially not masted for digital processing...

Things changed a little with DAT replacing reel-to-reel tape...and albums being mastered in a digital format...

But still there are many Rock and blues artists that still sware by analogue recording, mastering and playback...and god bless them because there are too many kids with laptops creating blandly produced digital music...

Even some digital recordings I have on CD and Vinyl, the Vinyl still comes out on top...yummy warmth...

Oh...CD's aren't perfect, scratches, the top foil flaking off and the laser eventually eats away the disk.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah there is a sort of very very quiet mellow distortion that adds some depth to the sound.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get vinyl records to line the toy room,some album covers are excellent,picked up ZZ tops eliminator, Hendricks experience,CCRs golden greats from the local tip,not a mark on them,scored Led Zeps "Song remains the same" double LP for a measly coupla bucks,yep pin them on the wall,excellent subject matter
Wont go into what sounds better,grew up around reel to reel, records,cassettes,CDs,MP3,ipods,its all a noise when your working away,dont have time to sit and listen for best quality
Old 25-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
superyob
Banned

Ask any DJ what sounds better, and they will say vinyl...
Old 25-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

This says it all

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 25-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Audiophiles, wine experts, car care products... There are so many things I just don't get into as much as some.

I don't miss vinyl at all.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev View Post
Picked this up from Amoeba records when I was in LA in July.

Also have other Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Queen, AFI (purple edition, black sails album), Iwrestledabearonce and more on vinyl
Last vinyl I got was the new Queens of the Stone Age record. Can't stop listening to that album!
my mate smoked heaps of bongs listening to that stuff...
Old 25-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #24
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I was into high end, or high-ish at least hi fi in my younger days.

My ears are nowhere near as critical now that I'm old and half deaf!!

I had a really good setup most of which lived in the wardrobe for the last 10 years. Recently moved on my old Rega turntable and Denon CD player. The big mutha Denon intergrated amp is still with me hooked up to the tv and DVD. Rarely is used. My old AR speakers are now with a mate and need to be re-coned. I also had a Nakamichi tape deck now long gone. Still have my Kenwood deck which is/was a more basic unit meant to be a daily thrasher.

I seriously loved my old Teac X1000 reel to reel, it's long gone. I love that format most of all.

Now it's just the car stereo and my iPod!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 26-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

My old man has about 5,000 vinyls, lots of them are first presses and in their original packaging, never played. He always bought two of everything so he had one for himself and one to play at parties but he always played the party ones at home anyway. Now his collection is probably worth as much as our house. Lucky it's stored in secure storage though.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 26-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
Nanoraptor
Futura

As a digital-generation kid, I cringe at vinyl. Where some hear warmth, I hear that peculiar muddy vinyl distortion that stands out like a dog's nuts and separates it from the sound of the real thing.

And, of course, we all have opinions and what's real and sounds grand to each of us is what matters. Gotta admit I'm a little envious of the ritual around vinyl though - the storage, cleaning, big cover art, and the visual mechanics.

Long live vinyl!
Old 26-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Ask any DJ what sounds better, and they will say vinyl...
Which doesn't really mean much.

It's like asking your 106yo grandmother to do a comparison between a GT Falcon and a HSV Commodore.

Neither are qualified.
Old 26-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoraptor View Post
As a digital-generation kid, I cringe at vinyl. Where some hear warmth, I hear that peculiar muddy vinyl distortion that stands out like a dog's nuts and separates it from the sound of the real thing.
Good vinyl doesn't sound like that, as I said earlier, it can actually sound superb and very very close indeed to good 16/44 digital.

The things that separate the best vinyl from the best CD are actually very small, and quite different to the things which separate them at the lower end.
Quote:
And, of course, we all have opinions and what's real and sounds grand to each of us is what matters.
Very true, we all have a different perception of what sounds real. Different things are important to different people.
The only true reference however, is a direct comparison to live, un-amplified music.
Quote:
Gotta admit I'm a little envious of the ritual around vinyl though - the storage, cleaning, big cover art, and the visual mechanics.
That's one thing I was never able to get my head around, the cleaning ritual, and I did grow up with vinyl.

In that respect (convenience) digital is conclusively light years in front, though the large cover art is very cool.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Sorry to hijack the thread. I've got around 80 to 90 records just sitting in a cupboard taking up room. Pretty much rock and mainstream from the '70's and '80's. most are in good condition. Some obscure ones and oddities in there.

Anyone got any tips on the best way to move them on?? Too many to feed onto eBay 1 at a time. Also don't want people picking the eyes out of them and leaving me with the majority. Would just like to move the job lot.

Feel free to PM me.

I recall being at parties when I was a kid and you would hear through the speakers the sound of dust being brushed off the stylus and the unmistakable sound of the stylus being placed onto the vinyl. You knew you were about to hear some Beatles, or Hendrix or Deep Purple if some of the younger crowd had control. The occasional crackle and pop became part of the music. It was perfect in its imperfection if you know what I mean!! I miss it.

Kudos to the vinyl devotees but no longer for me.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread. I've got around 80 to 90 records just sitting in a cupboard taking up room. Pretty much rock and mainstream from the '70's and '80's. most are in good condition. Some obscure ones and oddities in there.

Anyone got any tips on the best way to move them on?? Too many to feed onto eBay 1 at a time. Also don't want people picking the eyes out of them and leaving me with the majority. Would just like to move the job lot.

Feel free to PM me.

I recall being at parties when I was a kid and you would hear through the speakers the sound of dust being brushed off the stylus and the unmistakable sound of the stylus being placed onto the vinyl. You knew you were about to hear some Beatles, or Hendrix or Deep Purple if some of the younger crowd had control. The occasional crackle and pop became part of the music. It was perfect in its imperfection if you know what I mean!! I miss it.

Kudos to the vinyl devotees but no longer for me.
Vinyl is funny stuff second hand.
Some collectable stuff can go for silly money, hundreds for one album.
Other stuff won't move for $1 and can't be given away at garage sales.

It really depends on what it is and the condition.

PM sent BTW.
Closed Thread